American Institute for Research Employee Reviews

The responsibility is not heave but is not really challenging and no room for improvement.
Data Quality Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DCJuly 31, 2017
Making sure the data accuracy is a very important element in analyzing data, but the work doesn't really need a master or Phd to do the work. Not really need my SQL and programming skills in processing the project as a data quality control assistant.
I loved working there but life took me away,,,
Temp Worker, Call Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 17, 2017
This is a great place to work if you have the patience to read for teachers who can't read themselves. The office life is close knit and fun and had I not been a temp who needed insurance for a new addition for the family I would probably still be there.
ok
System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, DCApril 17, 2017
I have been working at
American Institutes for Research full-time (More than 4 years)

Pros
Great experience for conducting research that matters for governments. Smart colleagues that work hard. Strong research assistants and good organization.

Cons
Hard work is needed. Large organization, which brings some bureaucracy. Not always clear how organizational structures work. Overall a great place to work.
Advice to Management
Continue on the current path and invest strategically in new research opportunities for the long term. Provide incentives to research associates to stay longer.
Bad Choice for Software Developer
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2017
Pros: Location is good, not including the building. Bad cross-team communication. They love outsourcing their developer positions rather than hiring in-house. Bad diversity, 70% people are from 1 South Asia country. (Software development team)

Cons: Allow WFH?
AIR is one of the world's largest behavioral and social science research and evaluation organizations.
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 23, 2017
It was one of the fun job I had to work. I really enjoyed working there. I always wanted to work there but somehow I had the two years contract to work with them. AIR’s mission is to conduct and apply the best behavioral and social science research and evaluation towards improving people's lives, with a special emphasis on the disadvantaged. People worked in a team and made everything looks so easy.
Great Company
CSR Tier 1 (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 13, 2017
I love my job at AIR, everyone gets along. AIR is a good temporary job most people are temps so if you show up and do your work you can keep your job forever.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Small break room, Small bathrooms, everyone is so close, cold
Great place to work but...
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMarch 2, 2017
The work life culture is really great here. I got to meet a lot of people with great backgrounds. But you will work long hours as well as the management was way to hands off with assigning work and overseeing projects.
Pros
Lots of internal events
Cons
no work/social life balance
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DCJanuary 29, 2017
Fun and really good work environment. Great management and co-workers. Multi diverse culture and everyone is helpful. Great experience to work with AIR.
Great for Permanent; Not so great for Contractors/Temps
Payroll Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2017
I've been a contractor here for almost a year. I've seen at least 7 people resign in my Dept since then. My direct supervisor is great, the managers are not. The HR Dept is unfriendly and the Receptionist is just plain rude.
Pros
You get free breakfast on Wednesday
Cons
Bad treatments of contractors
Laid back environment
Proofreader/Editor (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 30, 2016
I worked a temp job for them on a project they were working on. It was an editing and proofreading job centered around my understanding of the grammatical function and connotations behind words. This was good for me as I was coming straight out of college as an English major and it was a good transition to the work world. It was a productive workflow and they always had something new for you to do. There was a feeling that they had no idea when the project would end because they were so backed up with work and my position has ended with surprisingly short notice. Overall, I and the people who worked with me enjoyed it so I would definitely recommend.
Pros
Laid back environment
Cons
Not very organized
software test analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 22, 2016
This is a great company to work with. Has a nice atmosphere to it. The hours are really convenient for busy schedule. You get a 45 minute lunch. Overall a really great place to work
Pros
lunch
Very Laid back
IT Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 4, 2016
Extremely Laid back and a nice culture. Work can be hard but every answer is available for you. There are many resources.
review
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 19, 2015
very great place to work and I wish I could have had a longer assignment with this company. Very dedicated team members and management.
excellent place to learn and grow your expereince
Software Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  georgetown, D.COctober 20, 2015
great working environment, place where you can learn about new technology. Good management people are place to guide you through.
Work here only if you enjoy a high stress, no training and constant belittlement by superiors
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 4, 2015
This was an invalidating experience. Training consisted of being told that we were preforming "logic checks" but then would be reprimanded in front of peers if your logic wasn't the same as theirs. Those put in charge of temps routinely talked down to and about other temps behind their backs. This place gives no second chances, feedback or even preference in the hiring process to internal transfers. The VP in charge of our department routinely shuffled projects around making it impossible for anyone to know what they were working on day to day. Only perk was bagels on wednesday.
Pros
Free Bagels on Wednesdays
Cons
Senior staff seems to go out of their way to make subordinates feel insecure about their jobs.
entry level
Desktop Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 4, 2015
It's learning experience for a person starting off in the field; from this position how desktop analyst handle or support their client at tier one level.
Pros
learn experience
Cons
no grow within this department
Good
Help Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 7, 2014
Respond to e-mails and phone calls. Good work environment, and good office culture
Great for starting up
Software Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, D.CJune 23, 2014
Good culture nice and friendly environment. Employees are supportive if you pull your weight
Great Opportunities
Facilities Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2014
This is a very fast paced and competitve environment. Friendly and outgoing staff but there is so much work to be done! Rewards are great, lots of office parties and recognition for the companies overall success.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Very little balance between work and personal life
For productvie and excellent place to work
Service Desk Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMay 1, 2014
This was one of my best contract positions. Supporting the scientist across made this job very interesting.
Pros
Working with Scientist who specialized in education