American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent growth opportunities
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 30, 2015
The AICPA places a strong emphasis on employee development and encourages employees to pursue new opportunities and training.

To this end the AICPA has made available to all of its employees access to its complete catalog of Continuing Professional Education courses (CPE). This is of particular value to CPAs and other finance professionals, especially students studying for the CPA exam and other programs.

The AICPA also encourages a good work-life balance. The Institute provides a comprehensive range of services to ensure fitness, mental health, assistance and more. Of particular note is that the medical benefits are comprehensive and outstanding.

My time at the Institute has been fantastic. A truly fun and great palce to work.
AICPA was an excellent company to work for.
On Site Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXFebruary 19, 2015
My days began by checking e-mail to see if there were any pending requests for instructors. After ordering these by time-sensitivity I would move on to checking into events that were to occur that week and ensure that all materials were available and enroute. The day would continue with answering various e-mails from companies, instructors and State Societies concerning everything software updates in training materials to monetary pay-outs. The hardest part of the job was making sure that everyone was happy. There were always a lot of different personalities involved in any given seminar and you were the focal point for all of them. In the end, a successful event was very rewarding and I always had a real sense of accomplishment.
Great place to work but not if you are looking for a career.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJNovember 11, 2014
The job was busy but there was a slow period from January until May (tax season). Because they did not pay as well as public accounting firms, they made up for that with wonderful benefits, healthcare, 401-K AND a pension. That is no longer the case.

If you want just a 9 to 6 job this is the place to be, or if you are in between careers this is a great place. Parents get to go home and see their children.
Pros
real work life balance
Cons
no career advancement.
Research before you come
Peer Review Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 29, 2014
It's a job - Depending on whch department you are working for, All they care about is numbers - Management is just Management - No leaders most of them are followers -If you are not part o the crew or click - you are just another employee - They care about their own careers not yours - Not a fun place to work - My co-workers are the BEST - They make it worth coming to work.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
to many to list
Good Environment
Format Editor (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJuly 16, 2012
I worked in the Texas office. It was laid back provided you got your work done. Everyone was very nice, etc. This does not matter much as they closed the Texas office.

My main gripe with the company is that they treat the offices that aren't the headquarters as if they are less important than that office. There were rumors going around the office that it would close when the lease was up, and they were true. Management lied and told us that, of course they would never do that. Right up until they did.

I love the company, I wish I could still work for them... in Texas. I hope they're able to integrate our jobs into the Durham office.
Positive Place to Work
Senior Manager, Service Center, E-Mail Response (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 9, 2014
Had to work my way up to Senior Management. All staff no matter what level they were on got along. The majority of watt became very close and worked as a family.
Pros
free lunches, car service
Cons
annual appraisals how they were issued
Great Place to work -- above average call center environment.
Member Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 7, 2012
While I am no longer interested in a call center environment -- the AICPA has a rather pleasant sized call center and the salary is tolerable.
Great company. Excellent working conditions.
Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJune 23, 2012
Great company. Excellent working conditions.

Worked with all levels of management and production.
Great place to work!
Member Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 6, 2012
They really care about their employees. Loved the people and the culture.
Pros
employee incentives, on campus cafe
Cons
n/a
Good For All But SCO
Member Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 5, 2013
Let me start out by saying this is a great place to work unless you are in the service center. Everyone else seems to love their job and they should there is a great culture with a ton of company events. While I was there 2 US senators came to speak, where else does this happen.

The Service center(SCO) is the institute's home for advanced studies in the field of Micromanagement. Here supervisors often spend more time watching their people work than handling escalations and other time sensitive task they have. For those in the service center you will get to attend 15 minutes of the 3 hour company event and get told you are lucky to get that much. You will see half the building work from home on a Friday. You will be told only 2 members of your group of 10 can be off at a time but see 2 of your 3 supervisors off with the 3rd working only a half day.

If you are hard up for a job like I was when I started here, it is better than nothing. It is an honest job with honest wages. If you are a grass is greener job seeker I would advise you to stay away if the job is in SCO.

I am not bitter and do not regret my time at the AICPA, I worked with some amazing people that made this place a home. But I do hope to warn those seeking a job in the SCO what they are stepping into.
Pros
great culture, community involvement, flexible schedule and more
Cons
pros are not able to be enjoyed by sco

4.4