American Institutes for Research Employee Reviews

Fast paced, corporate, but friendly work place
Item Writer, Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2014
I felt good about working at AIR. I thought the standardized tests we were developing were fair and of much better quality than the ones I had in school.

We were using software to emulate artistic applications, which was something that has never been done before in standardized testing. Not only that, but AIR is the only company to be developing tests for the visual arts.

I worked hard and got along well with most everyone. There were some concerns I had about the management, but they never got in the way of me doing my job, and receiving much praise in the process.

When the project was coming to an end, my services were no longer needed and I declined a management position because I felt I was not ready to be in charge of other people.
Pros
not-for-profit, free coffee and soda, friendly people
Cons
inefficient management, unnecessary stress implied on temp employees
A company providing services for communities worldwide
Assessment Editor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 30, 2013
The AIR assessment staff have interesting jobs. A typical day for editors would involve reading and editing test questions for standardized tests; proofreading client-approved materials; and editing letters and booklets to go to parents, teachers, principals, and school boards. Editing graphics includes size, placement on the page, and consistency throughout test booklets by state. Proposals, statistical reports, and articles targeted for journal submission help round out the day. Co-workers are pleasant and happy to help each other. Management is effective, but not looking over everyone's shoulder. The hardest part of the day is when work runs out; the best is when piles of work to be done are sitting, waiting, aching to be done.
Pros
flexible work schedule, tons of benefits, positive culture, generous salaries
Cons
i'm sure there are some somewhere.
Friendly, casual workplace with lots of benefits but extremely unstable work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 1, 2013
AIR is a nice place to gain experience for young professionals fresh out of school. However, you will soon find that your purpose at AIR will be served within a year or two. Co-workers are generally friendly and helpful, but you must be cautious of those in management roles. Often they look out for their best interest and not the interests of their hardworking employees. I have found it to be unstable with many managerial and role shifts and have often been unclear as to what my role is. The hardest part of the job is the instability. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with many friendly colleagues who are often willing to help.
Pros
employee events, happy hours, lunches, socials
Cons
unstable work environment, heirarchical management, limited opportunity for growth
People Helping Other People!
Student Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 8, 2012
AIR was a great place to work. My typical work day basically surrouned visits to various elementary schools and doing private interviews with students who were in the trial start of the Whole Day First Grade Program.

I learned much about the school administration and the everyday life in the classroom. Of course I've been in elementary school before, but I was moreso the outside looking in.

My co-workers were awesome! Some of the greatest people ever! We all supported each other and we were truly a team!

The hardest part of the job was hearing some of the sad stories that the students had to tell. Seeing kids in pain is painful for me. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children smile. One kid said to me, "I want to be just like you!" Now, who wouldn't enjoy hearing that?! :-)
Nice company and learned teachers to work with, cooperative and friendly envionment
Test Item Consultant (Current Employee) –  1000 Thomas Jefferson ST NW DCFebruary 24, 2014
AIR is a decent company with an objective which is gratifying and morally elevating. It has a nice and sober culture with friendly people and diverse ethnic representation. Pace is not too fast and deadlines are not dreadful and unrealistic. Anyhow at AIR everybody takes the responsibility seriously. The only thing that needs improvement is the increasing trend to elongate temporary / probationary period of employs for extended period of time ( despite the fact that the managers like and appreciate your work they are helpless when you ask them for a permanent position for yourself ).
Pros
bagles and fruit every friday.
Cons
no parking, ambiguous career progression
A very fun and dedicated work environment with a very talented bunch of developers team.
Software Developer, Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington DCFebruary 2, 2014
a typical day at work: You don't feel very tired by the end of the day mentally which is a great thing that every one desires.

I learned many new things, right from working as a team, to the professionalism shown by all the team members in the work place.

Having said that it is needless to say that you will be working around one of the best development team with very talented and experienced co-workers.

the most enjoyable part of the job is that all the team members meet up at lunch and there is not even a single work related talk there.

In short, a place worth working at. Don't miss the opportunity if you land a job here.
Good work if you can get it consistently.
Scoring Trainer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 28, 2015
A typical day involves working 8:00am-4:30pm, training small groups of scorers on rubrics for scoring assessments. Management provides a relaxed atmosphere and lots of schedule flexibility. The compensation is also adequate. The only downside is that scoring projects aren't always happening, so there will often be weeks, even months at a time where no work is available. This job is best for people looking for supplementary income, or who are between jobs and need temporary income.
Pros
Good wages, relaxed environment, flexibilty
Cons
Lack of consistent hours
This is a job, not a career
Item Writer II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 2, 2014
Management has absolutely no idea how the regular day to day work is done (and will impose arbitrary changes without consulting the tams as to how this will affect their work process. For a salaried 40 hour work week, it is not uncommon to end up working 60. Because the rate of people quitting vastly outweighs the people getting hired, job security is good. The work environment is pleasant; a shared misery attitude where everyone pulls more than their weight because they don't want to let down their coworkers
Pros
coworkers are friendly
Cons
unreasonable work expectations, poor compensation
Some great, highly talented people doing socially important work
Sr. Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 15, 2013
AIR has some of the most talented, dedicated people I've had the pleasure to work with on education, health, and other topics. Very generous benefits, especially after 10 years. Generally conservative management which has yet to figure out how to overcome the silo effect of a multitude of individual contracts and realize some true advantages of scale one would expect from an organization of this size. Focus is on government contracting at federal and state levels.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
silos
Awesome work/life balance, everything else is lackluster
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2012
Work with people interested in what their doing and are generally interesting. Great work life balance... not expected to put in crazy long hours (only on rare occasion). Lots of food leftover from meetings. Management is pretty hit or miss. Terrible corporate structure for advancement - hardly merit based. Benefits are alright, but salary is terrible.
Pros
good work life balance, frequent free food, everyone has an office
Cons
poor management, low salary, little opportunity for advancement, sometime terrible clients

Want to know more about American Institutes for Research?

Ask a question
Productive and friendly place with awesome coffee
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2015
I worked as temporary stuff for the assessment department in this non-profit organization. Because of my temporary status, I didn't have my own office as other formal employees. Although my title for the position was research assistant, my daily duty and responsibility didn't seem to have much relationship with research or analysis. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed my job working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. I made a really good friend from this job and had a excellent and intelligent leader.
Lower level employees treated like temps.
Communications and marketing (Former Employee) –  Health divisionMarch 17, 2012
Though some of the work is interesting, and the benefits aren't bad, upper management has no respect for those at lower levels--treating them as suspect resources to be chewed up without any serious prospect of advancement (unless you're the favorite of the right supervisor).
Pros
good healthcare, fairly flexible in terms of schedule
Cons
no respect, incompetence rewarded, little challenge, no internal communication, no cohesion

Comment – January 11, 2013

In regards to your post, I am considering applying for an open position at AIR for a Health Communications Assistant. Was this the position you held or similar? What can I expect from this job? Thanks.

Good company
Graphic designer (Current Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 31, 2015
I love the location,
The work environment is really good and they make nice parties and activities for the employees.
They are flexible with the work hours and also you can work from home when the weather is no too good.
They don't have a dress code, what is really comfortable.
The people who work there is really nice
The bad part is that the payments are not really good and the company have long period of times when the work is really slow.
Pros
Good work environment, flexible hours, not dress code, Good location
Cons
salary is not too good, the work can be hard and suddenly really slow.
A laid back learning and challenging career.
Spanish translator/data entry (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 17, 2012
A nice friendly laid back atmosphere, where 30-40 people work as a large team to accomplish goals set out by a supervisor every day. Mentally challenging items and subjects keep you on your feet and learning new things everyday.
Pros
flexible schedule, quiet surroundings, decent pay.
Cons
no health benefits
An awesome place to gain hands-on experience
Information Technology Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 1, 2014
A very good place to start an IT career. The management and staff are very friendly and always there when you need help. I had great learning experience there as an IT intern.
Pros
great culture and work environment.
Cons
if you are dependent on metro, you might run into some timing issues.
Job Security
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MarylandSeptember 3, 2013
Did not have the greatest leaders but my coworkers were passionate about the company. If you did not have a good manager your career growth was limited.
Culture is fun and vibrant...never a dull moment
Pros
free drinks, free parking, good benefits
Cons
compensation below average
Great location.
Senior Researcher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 21, 2014
Excellent benefits. Promotion system needs an overhaul. Promotions rely too heavily on business development rather than taking into consideration what individuals are really skilled at and writing proposals may not be their strongest skill set.
Productive mission driven organization
Sr. Director/VP - Employee Services and HRIS (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2014
Great place to work. The people are driven to improving the lives of others. The co-workers are easy to get along with and the work is exciting. The company cares for their employees, and they have great benefits.
Good job culture
Test Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 31, 2015
casual office, had inter-office sports, people went to happy hours, bagel day was a thing. Basically a fun place to work even though my job was pretty boring.
Everyone works at a high personal standard, refreshing
Statistical Support Associate/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2013
This was my first after graduating from college, and I feel very lucky to be working there.