American Institutes for Research Employee Reviews

Good people, bad pay
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  DCOctober 10, 2017
Great environment, but they do not value good employees and instead promote people who are incompetent in their job. Management is great for the most part.
Pros
Bagels every Wednesday and quarterly lunches
Cons
Undervalue good employees
Notorious for the poor management- played witness to one
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2017
There was such a litany of problematic dynamics right off the bat at this place all I can conclude for certain is that being assigned to a sub-par manager seemed to promise unavoidable conflict and demise. My manager simply did not care to be a manager for this new hire. Every interaction was a one-sided affair of questions being generically responded to; problems brought up readily to the manager were met with embarrassingly passive rambling responses that were mind-blowingly childish. This was very stressful for this new hire because there developed a point where I could not turn to anyone for help regarding the multitude of problems on the first contract I was hired for because there is in some sense a genuine fear that develops to not make too much noise...even if it has nothing to do with qualification but rather how best to go about problems never before experienced on projects. My fellow new hire officemate, on the other hand, seemed to have a world class manager that checked in on that person weekly, inquired regularly of any concerns or questions; just simply seemed to go out of the way to provide an incredibly welcoming environment. I was not afforded to be assigned a manager with this kind of confidence, attention to detail, and passion for the job.

Simply put, this was one of the most miserable working experiences I signed up for. There are so many elements regarding the isolating dynamics of telecommuting (is that the word?) and teleconferencing that made being a new hire as the only research person in this area that started the ball rolling on problems
  more... I experienced.

TL;DR: Incredibly sub-par manager for this new hire. Much of the AIR experience seems to be a random luck-of-the-draw whether you are set up to succeed or set up to fail.

Poor working environment, poor management, poor pay; not shocked there isn't more groundbreaking, world-changing research going on.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
poor management; poor working environment; poor pay structure
Review
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 21, 2017
Working at AIR was a pleasant experience. I had the opportunity to provide assistance to Teachers; Administrators; and Principles. I was available to help with answering their technical questions and reset passwords to help keep their work environment uninhibited. I felt good about being in a supportive role and contributing to the education of our nation's youth. The culture was enjoyable in that, yearning and learning with intelligent individuals working together to accomplish a common goal is always very exciting to me.
Pros
Helping people and learning along the way
Cons
System outages which are inevitable in this lifetime.
Work hard play hard work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 31, 2017
AIR is overall a nice company to work for and they treat their employees well. I would say that there are some problems with work life balance and over using lower level employees. Projects are not always managed efficiently, which can lead to extra stress and shortened deadlines. I would say the best part of AIR though is the people who work there.
Hey Guys
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 23, 2017
I am Graphic designer temp at AIR
I like this place, I like how everything is set, organized and people ( stuff) are nice, friendly and professional. Its very nice place to work.
Pros
bagel morning every wednesday
Little Opportunities
Score Reporting Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2017
Little to no opportunity for advancement
Management is unorganized
HR never responds to applications
Management takes advantage of temporary workers and doesn't seem to care about temps and part time employees
You can't get a permanent job without having family or friends that work here.
Pros
Bagel Wednesday
Cons
little opportunities to excel and advance
grant funded non-profit
Senior Turnaround/Transformation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 11, 2017
Little accountability for results for clients; lack of respect for employees; "top down" management; politically driven; esoteric culture--lack of results in education improvement through consulting.
If you need a paycheck until you find a permanent job w/ benefits apply here
Systems Support Analyst- Tier 2 (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 12, 2017
Pros:
-Quick hiring process (this should've been a red flag)
-Free coffee, soda, & water
-Free bagels on Wednesdays
-Good co-workers

Cons:
-No job security as temp worker (short notice when finding out your contract is over- not the 6 months that was advertised- although its better than last year where people got 24 hours notice)
-Useless middle management (not entirely sure some people at the company actually do all day]
-No real ability to advance
-No career or skills growth opportunities
-They won't be a reference for you for future employers (they said this is company policy and they can only refer anyone asking to HR to confirm your employment)
-Virtually all the systems support tier 2 staff is on an hourly pay scale as opposed to salary. To my surprise, as a temp I was making more than the majority of them.

I only recommend this job until you find something permanent. No real possibilities for being retained and even then no real abilitiy to advance.
flexible
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 22, 2017
AIR is a flexible organization but has no work life balance and they need to work on management. The culture here is non existent as nobody comes into the office anymore.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
bad management
Great place to work with opportunities for advancement
Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 4, 2017
Loved working there. Opportunities for travel and advancement. culture was collegiate. Work place had much support, highest level of technology. Planned opportunities to celebrate success. Monthly free food inorder to perpetuate staff familiarity and support.
Pros
planned opportunities to celebrate success.
No progression from Entry-Level or Temp jobs
Quality Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DCApril 25, 2017
If you end up in assessment, this is a temp job. Don't be fooled by recruiters saying it's a foot in the door. You may be able to make some connections, but this job is essentially breaking rocks into smaller rocks. Any Assessment or quality control position is simply a good "while you're looking" job. Not awful, but definitely not challenging to a person trying to do data analytics.

Also any Quality Control Analyst position is just a QC assistant. they pay undergrads a flat rate and if you have a masters you get a little more. Need I say it again? Temp Job.
Pros
chill environment, good temp job
Cons
No room for advancement, no reward system, no way of knowing if your a good employee
Summary
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 25, 2017
Would not like entering anything now. Been working here for a while. I am not comfortable posting this at the moment. Be it positive or negative. May do in future.
Very Boring
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 15, 2017
Mundane, data entry and QC control -- expected to perform one to two tasks for 8 hours per day. Supervisors were very nice and fair, but the job itself was excruciatingly dull.
You will gain a lot of experience, but you will work hard
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 12, 2017
Be ready to work long hours and some weekends. However you will gain a lot of experience.Check your ego at the door. Everyone is working toward the same goal and truly care about the outcome.
Good Place to work and learn but not great to move up
I-O Psychologist Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 3, 2017
It is a great environment with great people but if you are looking to move up there are limited positions. Otherwise great place to learn and grow skills.
Project Management + Client Management
Technical Project Manager II (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 1, 2017
Project Management + Client Management
This company offers great exposure for people who are willing to take initiatives and committed to deliver. Fast paced and strict deliverable timelines is a must.
Fun workplace
Help Desk / Tier 1 Support (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 31, 2017
Responsible for replies to internal customer emails, phone calls, voicemails, and IT Support/ Help Desk Ticket/ Case closures, including project team and tier 2 and 3 escalations and inquiries regarding policy and procedure for state testing requirements and system troubleshooting of for grades K through 12 for state Department of Education.
Traveling with this job gave me such a great experience and wonderful opportunities
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 24, 2017
It was such a fun job. It took me places I've never been to. I was able to meet so many people in so many cultures. It was the best work experience ever!
Pros
Great pay and traveling to cool places was awesome
Cons
Unorganized in their collection of data
Air
NOC Analyst/Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJanuary 8, 2017
American Institutes for Research is a boring place to work at with almost no career advancement opportunities. With two distinct office locations, miscommunication is a norm.
Decent Option in this Industry
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2016
Pay and benefits are good if you can climb the ladder. Climbing the ladder mostly requires you to sacrifice work-life balance and focus heavily on bringing in business and dollars. Org is more likely to poach someone from outside than to promote from within, with the exception of those internal folks who can bring in dollars.