American Institutes for Research

American Institutes for Research Employer Reviews

A solid internship experience
Reporting Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 17, 2014
The staff was incredibly nice. A lot of the work was straightforward and sometimes really repetitive.
lower mgmt seems clueless
QA Tester (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 26, 2014
Pros: free bagels once a week....great location
Cons: idiot junior managers
mgmt just doesn't seem to understand the technical aspects of those under them.
Fast paced, corporate, but friendly work place
Item Writer, Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 10, 2014
Pros: not-for-profit, free coffee and soda, friendly people
Cons: inefficient management, unnecessary stress implied on temp employees
I felt good about working at AIR. I thought the standardized tests we were developing were fair and of much better quality than the ones I had in school.

We were using software to emulate artistic applications, which was something that has never been done before in standardized testing. Not only that, but AIR is the only company to be developing tests – more... for the visual arts.

I worked hard and got along well with most everyone. There were some concerns I had about the management, but they never got in the way of me doing my job, and receiving much praise in the process.

When the project was coming to an end, my services were no longer needed and I declined a management position because I felt I was not ready to be in charge of other people. – less
Productive mission driven organization
Sr. Director/VP - Employee Services and HRIS (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 19, 2014
Great place to work. The people are driven to improving the lives of others. The co-workers are easy to get along with and the work is exciting. The company cares for their employees, and they have great benefits.
Nice company and learned teachers to work with, cooperative and friendly envionment
Test Item Consultant (Current Employee), 1000 Thomas Jefferson ST NW DCFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: bagles and fruit every friday.
Cons: no parking, ambiguous career progression
AIR is a decent company with an objective which is gratifying and morally elevating. It has a nice and sober culture with friendly people and diverse ethnic representation. Pace is not too fast and deadlines are not dreadful and unrealistic. Anyhow at AIR everybody takes the responsibility seriously. The only thing that needs improvement is the increasing – more... trend to elongate temporary / probationary period of employs for extended period of time ( despite the fact that the managers like and appreciate your work they are helpless when you ask them for a permanent position for yourself ). – less
A very fun and dedicated work environment with a very talented bunch of developers team.
Software Developer, Intern (Former Employee), Washington DCFebruary 2, 2014
a typical day at work: You don't feel very tired by the end of the day mentally which is a great thing that every one desires.

I learned many new things, right from working as a team, to the professionalism shown by all the team members in the work place.

Having said that it is needless to say that you will be working around one of the best development – more... team with very talented and experienced co-workers.

the most enjoyable part of the job is that all the team members meet up at lunch and there is not even a single work related talk there.

In short, a place worth working at. Don't miss the opportunity if you land a job here. – less
An awesome place to gain hands-on experience
Information Technology Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: great culture and work environment.
Cons: if you are dependent on metro, you might run into some timing issues.
A very good place to start an IT career. The management and staff are very friendly and always there when you need help. I had great learning experience there as an IT intern.
Job Security
Web Developer (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MarylandSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: free drinks, free parking, good benefits
Cons: compensation below average
Did not have the greatest leaders but my coworkers were passionate about the company. If you did not have a good manager your career growth was limited.
Culture is fun and vibrant...never a dull moment
Excellent benefits and staff
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 20, 2013
Pros: great environment, mission, benefits and staff
Cons: lack of transparency and loyalty to tenured staff
American Institutes for Research and staff provides a wonderful service to educational, health and international development.
High Quality Contract Work
Staffer (Current Employee), CaliforniaJuly 9, 2013
Motivated and extremely academic staff
Autonomous work environment
Fast-paced, deadline oriented
Everyone works at a high personal standard, refreshing
Statistical Support Associate/Research Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 3, 2013
This was my first after graduating from college, and I feel very lucky to be working there.
A company providing services for communities worldwide
Assessment Editor (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 30, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, tons of benefits, positive culture, generous salaries
Cons: i'm sure there are some somewhere.
The AIR assessment staff have interesting jobs. A typical day for editors would involve reading and editing test questions for standardized tests; proofreading client-approved materials; and editing letters and booklets to go to parents, teachers, principals, and school boards. Editing graphics includes size, placement on the page, and consistency throughout – more... test booklets by state. Proposals, statistical reports, and articles targeted for journal submission help round out the day. Co-workers are pleasant and happy to help each other. Management is effective, but not looking over everyone's shoulder. The hardest part of the day is when work runs out; the best is when piles of work to be done are sitting, waiting, aching to be done. – less
Friendly, casual workplace with lots of benefits but extremely unstable work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 1, 2013
Pros: employee events, happy hours, lunches, socials
Cons: unstable work environment, heirarchical management, limited opportunity for growth
AIR is a nice place to gain experience for young professionals fresh out of school. However, you will soon find that your purpose at AIR will be served within a year or two. Co-workers are generally friendly and helpful, but you must be cautious of those in management roles. Often they look out for their best interest and not the interests of their – more... hardworking employees. I have found it to be unstable with many managerial and role shifts and have often been unclear as to what my role is. The hardest part of the job is the instability. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with many friendly colleagues who are often willing to help. – less
A great place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), District of ColumbiaFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: the employees
Cons: some management
It was a great 18 years. Amazing growth and committment to human development.
Some great, highly talented people doing socially important work
Sr. Operations Director (Former Employee), Frederick, MDJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: silos
AIR has some of the most talented, dedicated people I've had the pleasure to work with on education, health, and other topics. Very generous benefits, especially after 10 years. Generally conservative management which has yet to figure out how to overcome the silo effect of a multitude of individual contracts and realize some true advantages of scale – more... one would expect from an organization of this size. Focus is on government contracting at federal and state levels. – less
People Helping Other People!
Student Interviewer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 8, 2012
AIR was a great place to work. My typical work day basically surrouned visits to various elementary schools and doing private interviews with students who were in the trial start of the Whole Day First Grade Program.

I learned much about the school administration and the everyday life in the classroom. Of course I've been in elementary school before, – more... but I was moreso the outside looking in.

My co-workers were awesome! Some of the greatest people ever! We all supported each other and we were truly a team!

The hardest part of the job was hearing some of the sad stories that the students had to tell. Seeing kids in pain is painful for me. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children smile. One kid said to me, "I want to be just like you!" Now, who wouldn't enjoy hearing that?! :-) – less
A laid back learning and challenging career.
Spanish translator/data entry (Former Employee), Columbus, OHAugust 17, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule, quiet surroundings, decent pay.
Cons: no health benefits
A nice friendly laid back atmosphere, where 30-40 people work as a large team to accomplish goals set out by a supervisor every day. Mentally challenging items and subjects keep you on your feet and learning new things everyday.
Awesome work/life balance, everything else is lackluster
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 18, 2012
Pros: good work life balance, frequent free food, everyone has an office
Cons: poor management, low salary, little opportunity for advancement, sometime terrible clients
Work with people interested in what their doing and are generally interesting. Great work life balance... not expected to put in crazy long hours (only on rare occasion). Lots of food leftover from meetings. Management is pretty hit or miss. Terrible corporate structure for advancement - hardly merit based. Benefits are alright, but salary is terrible.
Lower level employees treated like temps.
Communications and marketing (Former Employee), Health divisionMarch 17, 2012
Pros: good healthcare, fairly flexible in terms of schedule
Cons: no respect, incompetence rewarded, little challenge, no internal communication, no cohesion
Though some of the work is interesting, and the benefits aren't bad, upper management has no respect for those at lower levels--treating them as suspect resources to be chewed up without any serious prospect of advancement (unless you're the favorite of the right supervisor).

January 11, 2013

In regards to your post, I am considering applying for an open position at AIR for a Health Communications Assistant. Was this the position you held or similar? What can I expect from this job? Thanks.

Casual work environment
Chief Accountant (Former Employee), Islamabad PakistanMay 21, 2013
Pros: fun loving culture
Cons: long hours for sure
I had flexible timings, with excellent working relationship with head of department, chief of party and with head office. Very encouraging and supportive management.

About American Institutes for Research

The American Institutes for Research (AIR) lives and breathes to enhance human performance. The not-for-profit organization conducts – Read more