American Institutes for Research Employee Reviews in United States

Was let go over (Installing FileZilla)
ASCM NOC (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 2, 2016
I was let go by the VP, just because I installed FileZilla Software and the installation happened under IT service desk supervision and ticketed and for some reason my laptop was infected.

I was hired as a temp for among with 5 other temps, after one year they hired 3 female as a full time and the hiring was not based on qualification other than who do you know in the department.
The other 2 male temp who are still temp they know way more than others, but just because they don't have anyone and they are guys.

One of the converters has the experience but the other 2 has nothing to do with IT ( Assesment Department)

If you are a temp or a contractor you are second degree Citizen I have never felt this disrespected during my career like I felt at AIR.
Web Development Operations Specialist / DevOps (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 1, 2016
Really professional place to work and an every day learning lesson
management give you the opportunity to interact in different projects.
Terrible Place to work
Test Developer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2016
This is a terrible place to work. Employees are not treated as people but more like things that they need to make ends meet and discarded easily. They do not value hard work and loyalty.
Pros
Free coffee and bagels
Cons
too much work, too little pay, terrible management
Always getting problems to resolve
Network/System Support Engineer Tier II (Current Employee) –  VirginiaApril 28, 2016
AIR is a place you can develop yourself and gives flexibility by not thinking outside the box but thinking like there is no box. There a lot of seasoned individual who support you in case there is a gridlock on case you are working on.
An excellent learning environment and relaxing also.
Network Admin (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAApril 25, 2016
With a cup of coffee at hand, a typical day for me at work would be to attend to tickets escalated by the helpdesk; usually worked with minimal supervision.

In all, it was a good experience for me.
Would not recommend this company
Human Capital Partner (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCMay 18, 2016
Would not recommend this company. Salaries are low compared to market. Staff managers are not very supportive. Turnover is high.
Pros
Work with great people
Cons
management and staff managers
Fun Workplace
Accounts Payable Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2016
My supervisor and co-workers were excellent people too work with. Great team players always available to lend a helping hand. Never complained and all our projects wee turned in on time.
Good work if you can get it consistently.
Scoring Trainer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 28, 2015
A typical day involves working 8:00am-4:30pm, training small groups of scorers on rubrics for scoring assessments. Management provides a relaxed atmosphere and lots of schedule flexibility. The compensation is also adequate. The only downside is that scoring projects aren't always happening, so there will often be weeks, even months at a time where no work is available. This job is best for people looking for supplementary income, or who are between jobs and need temporary income.
Pros
Good wages, relaxed environment, flexibilty
Cons
Lack of consistent hours
This is a job, not a career
Item Writer II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 2, 2014
Management has absolutely no idea how the regular day to day work is done (and will impose arbitrary changes without consulting the tams as to how this will affect their work process. For a salaried 40 hour work week, it is not uncommon to end up working 60. Because the rate of people quitting vastly outweighs the people getting hired, job security is good. The work environment is pleasant; a shared misery attitude where everyone pulls more than their weight because they don't want to let down their coworkers
Pros
coworkers are friendly
Cons
unreasonable work expectations, poor compensation
Fast paced, corporate, but friendly work place
Item Writer, Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2014
I felt good about working at AIR. I thought the standardized tests we were developing were fair and of much better quality than the ones I had in school.

We were using software to emulate artistic applications, which was something that has never been done before in standardized testing. Not only that, but AIR is the only company to be developing tests for the visual arts.

I worked hard and got along well with most everyone. There were some concerns I had about the management, but they never got in the way of me doing my job, and receiving much praise in the process.

When the project was coming to an end, my services were no longer needed and I declined a management position because I felt I was not ready to be in charge of other people.
Pros
not-for-profit, free coffee and soda, friendly people
Cons
inefficient management, unnecessary stress implied on temp employees
Awesome work/life balance, everything else is lackluster
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2012
Work with people interested in what their doing and are generally interesting. Great work life balance... not expected to put in crazy long hours (only on rare occasion). Lots of food leftover from meetings. Management is pretty hit or miss. Terrible corporate structure for advancement - hardly merit based. Benefits are alright, but salary is terrible.
Pros
good work life balance, frequent free food, everyone has an office
Cons
poor management, low salary, little opportunity for advancement, sometime terrible clients
A company providing services for communities worldwide
Assessment Editor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 30, 2013
The AIR assessment staff have interesting jobs. A typical day for editors would involve reading and editing test questions for standardized tests; proofreading client-approved materials; and editing letters and booklets to go to parents, teachers, principals, and school boards. Editing graphics includes size, placement on the page, and consistency throughout test booklets by state. Proposals, statistical reports, and articles targeted for journal submission help round out the day. Co-workers are pleasant and happy to help each other. Management is effective, but not looking over everyone's shoulder. The hardest part of the day is when work runs out; the best is when piles of work to be done are sitting, waiting, aching to be done.
Pros
flexible work schedule, tons of benefits, positive culture, generous salaries
Cons
i'm sure there are some somewhere.
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 19, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount
Productive and friendly place with awesome coffee
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2015
I worked as temporary stuff for the assessment department in this non-profit organization. Because of my temporary status, I didn't have my own office as other formal employees. Although my title for the position was research assistant, my daily duty and responsibility didn't seem to have much relationship with research or analysis. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed my job working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. I made a really good friend from this job and had a excellent and intelligent leader.
Beware this organization
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 27, 2016
Recently, AIR laid off over 30 employees within less than 24 hours time without any sort of warning. Several of the people who were laid off had been with the company for over 10 years, yet their career at AIR was over in an instant. Even worse, many project directors and staff managers had no idea what was happening and had to scramble to get the leftover work done when the employees who were laid off suddenly disappeared without being able to turn in their deliverables...The whole thing was a management nightmare, and the employees left behind are now unsettled, demoralized, and live in constant fear that another round of layoffs will occur whereby they'll lose their jobs. In addition, AIR hires people based on a certain area of expertise or skill set that individuals have that they think will be put to use. Though once most people land a job there, they immediately find out that their job security and stability depends on getting a certain percentage of their time covered on numerous projects, many of which may be completely unrelated to their skill set.

Promotions only occur for individuals based on cronyism and favoritism from upper management, and has little to do with whether a person has been there for a long time or actually does their job well. I honestly am surprised to see so many people on here are stating that AIR provides a pleasant and collaborative working environment--it doesn't!!! Overall, it's a very toxic work environment with a serious lack of diversity among upper management, which is both shameful and ironic given that the so-called mission of the
  more... company is to improve the lives of the "disadvantaged". On the whole, the only people that get help improving their lives at AIR are well-educated, well-connected individuals from historically advantaged groups who find their ways into cliques with upper management.

The best advice most employees, particularly those from historically underrepresented, marginalized groups, is to stay for a short while while learning all that you can, and do your best for as long as you're able to deal with the constant lack of upward mobility, belittlement, and consistently biased treatment from upper management. And if someone is abusive or treating you poorly once you land a job there, don't even think about going to HR for help. Almost everyone in the company knows that HR is a joke primarily built to protect upper management no matter how egregious their behavior.
Pros
Nice location, free bagels on Wednesdays
Cons
Non-collaborative and hostile work environment with little room for promotion.
Lower level employees treated like temps.
Communications and marketing (Former Employee) –  Health divisionMarch 17, 2012
Though some of the work is interesting, and the benefits aren't bad, upper management has no respect for those at lower levels--treating them as suspect resources to be chewed up without any serious prospect of advancement (unless you're the favorite of the right supervisor).
Pros
good healthcare, fairly flexible in terms of schedule
Cons
no respect, incompetence rewarded, little challenge, no internal communication, no cohesion
Good work environement and interesting job profile
Technical Project Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMay 5, 2015
Fun place to work with. Teammates are helpful. Good work life balance. No politics. Project profile is very interesting and job profile too.
Pros
Good work and environment to work in.
Cons
Less pay
Nice company and learned teachers to work with, cooperative and friendly envionment
Test Item Consultant (Current Employee) –  1000 Thomas Jefferson ST NW DCFebruary 24, 2014
AIR is a decent company with an objective which is gratifying and morally elevating. It has a nice and sober culture with friendly people and diverse ethnic representation. Pace is not too fast and deadlines are not dreadful and unrealistic. Anyhow at AIR everybody takes the responsibility seriously. The only thing that needs improvement is the increasing trend to elongate temporary / probationary period of employs for extended period of time ( despite the fact that the managers like and appreciate your work they are helpless when you ask them for a permanent position for yourself ).
Pros
bagles and fruit every friday.
Cons
no parking, ambiguous career progression
An awesome place to gain hands-on experience
Information Technology Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 1, 2014
A very good place to start an IT career. The management and staff are very friendly and always there when you need help. I had great learning experience there as an IT intern.
Pros
great culture and work environment.
Cons
if you are dependent on metro, you might run into some timing issues.
Some great, highly talented people doing socially important work
Sr. Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 15, 2013
AIR has some of the most talented, dedicated people I've had the pleasure to work with on education, health, and other topics. Very generous benefits, especially after 10 years. Generally conservative management which has yet to figure out how to overcome the silo effect of a multitude of individual contracts and realize some true advantages of scale one would expect from an organization of this size. Focus is on government contracting at federal and state levels.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
silos

2.8