American Lung Association

American Lung Association Employee Reviews in United States

Great event with great people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Providence, Rhode IslandAugust 6, 2015
I participated in the fight for air climb with my girlfriend. We both co-led our team and raised money to donate to the American Lung Association. I enjoyed participating in the event and loved raising money for a great cause.
A wonderful place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2015
Educational, friendly, and immense job satisfaction. I learned a great deal about air quality. for example, fuels that are polluting to farmland burning. Coping with Cardio Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Asthma.became very important to me. I was in charge of holding monthly meetings with highly qualified speakers to assist these wonderful human beings with as much information as possible to help make their lives more comfortable.

I also assisted in running a camp for Asthmatic children. One week every summer these children would go to this special camp where all their needs were met considering their condition. It was a true joy.
Pros
Peers that were smart with a wide range of interests, education with vast knowledge of COPD, and Asthma
Cons
American Lung Association is a wonderful non profit agency that helps educate the community around their mission.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CaliforniaSeptember 2, 2015
Implemented various health related programs within the Community.
Directed Asthma Camps for over 7 years. Managed and trained staff, work-study students and volunteers to run programs within the community. Facilitated various clubs, camps and coalition meetings.
Worked in development managing fundraising events, gathering sponsors and worked with media. Involved in advocacy in changing policies locally and statewide. Work proficiently with Data Track inputting information into our data base. Responsible for researching and writing grants for local programs. I supervised over 15 direct reports and volunteers. Facilitated and directed many clubs within the community.
Pros
This job was very rewarding and enhanced my management skill set.
Cons
Being a non profit funding was limited the office closed during the restructuring of company.
A great non profit organization
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 15, 2014
Communicating with committees and community the importance of fundraising goals for the mission of saving lives with education on lung health and improving air quality.
The management staff is very good and very helpful.
The hardest part of this job was goals to exceed pressure and events being close together.
I so enjoyed working with my hard working coworkers, knowing that all had many duties to make the events a success. Seeing community members that volunteer their time is very enjoyable.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
need a larger volunteer base
Great atmosphere
Intern, Development (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 24, 2015
I liked the office, the staff, and the responsibilities of being an intern. I met some really great people during my time there.
Absolutely the best company at that time
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2015
This is the best company I have ever worked for. I had a great salary! My co-workers were awesome, especially, my supervisor.
best first internship ever
Staff Assistant / Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 2, 2015
This was my first internship and I loved it. Even though the internship was unpaid, it prepared me for future positions as well because I had to dress professionally, answer phones, and prepare for future positions in a business environment. In the interview, I was surprised that I got the opportunity to work as an intern because I was so used to getting denied from other positions that I didn't know what to make of this one when it came up. The stair climbing events were always a success and despite the months it would take to prepare for them, The American Lung Association reached their goal each time and to be role models to families and communities, it says a lot because sometimes we take asthma and lung cancer for granted because maybe personally, we may not be diagnosed, but we have a friend or a family member who is diagnosed and each time I donate or volunteer to the American Lung Association, I think about this. There was no better first internship I could have had and I thank them for everything!
Passionate organization with strong mission
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 15, 2015
Passionate staff and volunteers working together to achieve the mission of the organization thru fundraising events, awareness campaigns and promotional messaging.
Fun Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 11, 2014
I learned a lot about putting together a big fundraiser. I got to experience soliciting and asking businesses to invest in the event.
Quiet, yet fun and relaxed workplace
Online and Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  NY, NYOctober 9, 2012
Very quiet work environment. Some staff keep to themselves, but everyone is very friendly.
Pros
great benefits, friendly co-workers, flexible hours.
Cons
sometimes too quiet. uneven lighting, but not too noticeable.
Treat interns very well.
Health Promotions and Programs Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 12, 2015
At American Lung Association, they made me feel like I was an integral part of the staff. We worked as a cohesive unit to spread lung health awareness all over the Central Florida region and beyond.
Lung Association
Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2015
Administrative assistant and it was a great environment that I enjoyed working in the office and I also put lots of packages together to present to the different communities.
Lack of leadership
Director of Digital Production & Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2015
There was a distinct lack of leadership and lot of turnover at the executive level. Would not recommend this organization to anyone.
Productive Workplace with a great team
Environmental Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 12, 2014
The American Lung Association Environmental Team is a great team to work with. The work environment is very friendly. I am never scared to ask questions about a project. Currently I work with data collection and analysis for multiple projects.
The hardest part of the job is during grant proposals and reporting. As a non-profit, all of our funds are acquired through grants. So during parts of the year we have to complete multiple projects at the same time. I also find this as one of the more enjoyable parts because I like to keep busy.
Great place to learn about non-profit event marketing
Event Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 17, 2013
Calling past participants of the event to inquire about their participation in the event coming up. Calling local companies along the bike route to offer them an advertising opportunity in our guide book.
I learned that marketing takes a lot of mailings, emails, and making cold-call to ensure participation and sponsors.
Management was great, always willing to help whenever I had questions. Always gave appropriate and accurate direction.
Co-workers were great, very friendly and willing to answer all questions.
Great learning experience
Event Coordinating Intern (Former Employee) –  FLJune 6, 2013
I learned a lot about the non-profit aspect of the health care industry. I learned so much about the lung association and what they goals and missions are. I completely support them and everything that they stand for. While my internship lasted only a semester, I see myself volunteering with them in my future to give back to my community. My co-workers were great and I learned off of them. We all got along really well, and were able to work well together. The hardest part of the job was calling people, asking them to sponsor us. No one wants to harass people, begging for money, so that was definitely hard to do every day, especially when many people didn't respond positively. The best part, however, was working the Cars for the Cure event. While it was a very long day of work, seeing so many people that are impacted and all of our hard work come together was very rewarding.
Pros
small staff, family-like atmosphere, work well as team
Cons
calling people for sponsorship
fun environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Process invoices, cash receipts, termination, process payroll
Cons
short staff
Neighborhood Campaign and collect other donations year round.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYJuly 29, 2014
This has been a very rewarding job experience! I not only get to meet people in my community, but also feel so grateful about knowing that I may be helping in finding a cure some day for lung disease. The hardest part of this job is getting people to donate. I actually even collect donations in other states besides Kentucky and that feels awesome!
Summary
Development & Health Promotions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 30, 2014
You have to work closely with coworkers but are left to do a lot of independent work. I don't feel I was properly trained to do my job more of secretary work than anything. Disappointing as a college graduate.
Pros
your own office
Cons
30 min lunch
Administrative Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 3, 2015
I volunteer weekly at the American Lung Association office and participate in events as well.

4.4