American Lung Association

American Lung Association Employee Reviews

The upper management could be better.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 7, 2016
Day to day, I loved my job with the American Lung Association. Unfortunately, the regional CEO is just biding his time until he retires. While he says he's not a micromanager, his management style goes deeper than that. He does not support his managers, he insinuates that certain positions are on the line, and he takes no action when his managers go to him for support and advice. High turnover is a big issue, which impacts the organization's reputation in the community. The organization's mission is great, but they will continue to experience high turnover without strong upper management in place.
Pros
Flexibility, great mission
Cons
Terrible upper management, high turnover
Community involvement and provide health education in lung disease progras
Public Relations & Education Program Associate (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 10, 2016
Overall it was a company that cared about our community and those with lung disease. They were caring and we gave many emergency equipment to families with children who had lung disease and couldn't afford hospital or medical equipment, even elderly people who needed wheelchairs, medications, etc.
Pros
Helping people with lung disease
Cons
Facility reorganized and I lost my job
Fun workplace and friendly co-workers
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMay 25, 2016
I was able to broaden my social and leadership skills here because of the variety of people you dealt with on a daily basis. I also learned how to help move to a new office and keep calm in chaotic situations.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No mileage reimbursement
A wonderful place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2015
Educational, friendly, and immense job satisfaction. I learned a great deal about air quality. for example, fuels that are polluting to farmland burning. Coping with Cardio Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Asthma.became very important to me. I was in charge of holding monthly meetings with highly qualified speakers to assist these wonderful human beings with as much information as possible to help make their lives more comfortable.

I also assisted in running a camp for Asthmatic children. One week every summer these children would go to this special camp where all their needs were met considering their condition. It was a true joy.
Pros
Peers that were smart with a wide range of interests, education with vast knowledge of COPD, and Asthma
Cons
American Lung Association is a wonderful non profit agency that helps educate the community around their mission.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CaliforniaSeptember 2, 2015
Implemented various health related programs within the Community.
Directed Asthma Camps for over 7 years. Managed and trained staff, work-study students and volunteers to run programs within the community. Facilitated various clubs, camps and coalition meetings.
Worked in development managing fundraising events, gathering sponsors and worked with media. Involved in advocacy in changing policies locally and statewide. Work proficiently with Data Track inputting information into our data base. Responsible for researching and writing grants for local programs. I supervised over 15 direct reports and volunteers. Facilitated and directed many clubs within the community.
Pros
This job was very rewarding and enhanced my management skill set.
Cons
Being a non profit funding was limited the office closed during the restructuring of company.
Great atmosphere
Intern, Development (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 24, 2015
I liked the office, the staff, and the responsibilities of being an intern. I met some really great people during my time there.
Great event with great people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Providence, Rhode IslandAugust 6, 2015
I participated in the fight for air climb with my girlfriend. We both co-led our team and raised money to donate to the American Lung Association. I enjoyed participating in the event and loved raising money for a great cause.
Productive Workplace with a great team
Environmental Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 12, 2014
The American Lung Association Environmental Team is a great team to work with. The work environment is very friendly. I am never scared to ask questions about a project. Currently I work with data collection and analysis for multiple projects.
The hardest part of the job is during grant proposals and reporting. As a non-profit, all of our funds are acquired through grants. So during parts of the year we have to complete multiple projects at the same time. I also find this as one of the more enjoyable parts because I like to keep busy.
Passionate organization with strong mission
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 15, 2015
Passionate staff and volunteers working together to achieve the mission of the organization thru fundraising events, awareness campaigns and promotional messaging.
Treat interns very well.
Health Promotions and Programs Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 12, 2015
At American Lung Association, they made me feel like I was an integral part of the staff. We worked as a cohesive unit to spread lung health awareness all over the Central Florida region and beyond.
best first internship ever
Staff Assistant / Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 2, 2015
This was my first internship and I loved it. Even though the internship was unpaid, it prepared me for future positions as well because I had to dress professionally, answer phones, and prepare for future positions in a business environment. In the interview, I was surprised that I got the opportunity to work as an intern because I was so used to getting denied from other positions that I didn't know what to make of this one when it came up. The stair climbing events were always a success and despite the months it would take to prepare for them, The American Lung Association reached their goal each time and to be role models to families and communities, it says a lot because sometimes we take asthma and lung cancer for granted because maybe personally, we may not be diagnosed, but we have a friend or a family member who is diagnosed and each time I donate or volunteer to the American Lung Association, I think about this. There was no better first internship I could have had and I thank them for everything!
A great non profit organization
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 15, 2014
Communicating with committees and community the importance of fundraising goals for the mission of saving lives with education on lung health and improving air quality.
The management staff is very good and very helpful.
The hardest part of this job was goals to exceed pressure and events being close together.
I so enjoyed working with my hard working coworkers, knowing that all had many duties to make the events a success. Seeing community members that volunteer their time is very enjoyable.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
need a larger volunteer base
Great place to learn about non-profit event marketing
Event Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 17, 2013
Calling past participants of the event to inquire about their participation in the event coming up. Calling local companies along the bike route to offer them an advertising opportunity in our guide book.
I learned that marketing takes a lot of mailings, emails, and making cold-call to ensure participation and sponsors.
Management was great, always willing to help whenever I had questions. Always gave appropriate and accurate direction.
Co-workers were great, very friendly and willing to answer all questions.
Wonderful Work Environment
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 24, 2013
I LOVED working with the American Lung Association. The whole staff felt like family, from our office all the way down to Jacksonville. There is just such a great support system and everyone there loves what they do. It is an incredibly rewarding place to work. The hours are awesome and it's a pleasure going into the office each day. The programs that are promoted are wonderful and there is a strong sense of community. I would highly recommend working for the ALA.
Neighborhood Campaign and collect other donations year round.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYJuly 29, 2014
This has been a very rewarding job experience! I not only get to meet people in my community, but also feel so grateful about knowing that I may be helping in finding a cure some day for lung disease. The hardest part of this job is getting people to donate. I actually even collect donations in other states besides Kentucky and that feels awesome!
Great benefits and compensation but does have a downfall
Tobacco Control Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 27, 2013
The benefit are GREAT!!!! but the company does not try to relate or build relationships with the community. It compares itself to the mainland but here and there are different. mild paced environment but your coworkers are wonderful.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the people you can help and experience what the state is doing to help its community
Internship (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 21, 2014
I worked there as an Intern while I was in college for 8 months. I was able to answer the phone, assist with projects for the coming year throughout West Virginia. Made outbound calls throughout the state to prepare for Mountain Biking. The people were great to work with. I learned a lot.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
since i was an intern i did not get paid and they were not hiring at the time pending my graduation.
A great non-profit organization full of passionate people who want to spread the word about the harm smoking causes.
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2013
I was an intern; however, I was seen as a regular employee from the first day which I appreciated. My preceptor was great, and showed me the ropes if you will on how the organization is ran and all that goes into it. I feel very lucky that I was able to be an intern, and appreciate my experience there everyday!
Lung Association
Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2015
Administrative assistant and it was a great environment that I enjoyed working in the office and I also put lots of packages together to present to the different communities.
Good Company
Intern (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 7, 2013
I enjoy each day I go to work, having learned about strategic planning, writing grants and marketing strategies. I also love my Co Workers who are always very kind. It is hard to always know how to speak with those people who need help when they call but I am able to deal with it fine by asking other staff questions.
Pros
knowing your doing something great

4.3