American Lung Association Employee Reviews

Community Engagement Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 23, 2017
I loved working here. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I learned a lot from them. It was worth the hard work. I engaged in so many different projects. It gave me a really good understanding of the oragnization.
Nationwide Organization
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 3, 2017
Great Campaigns to help community and educate people to be healthier and get help if you are already a patient of lung cancer. A lot of room for growth with in the organization.
Dedicated staff to mission
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2017
Working with an established nonprofit like the American Lung Association was important in order to them to continue their work with those individuals who needed their services within the state of Colorado.
Pros
Mission was very important
Cons
Change of CEOs
Volunteer - Fight for Air Climb (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 30, 2017
working for the American Lung Association, you are always on your toes;. Every minute you are moving around, helping others. It's not difficult or stressful. The volunteers are nice as well so you don't feel uncomfortable.
Professional,
Event Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 6, 2017
Commitment to mission from all levels, great communication, friendly atmosphere, ongoing support, great place to grow and learn!
Everyone truly works towards a common goal.
Pros
Knowing your work was making a difference for lung patients.
Productive and Calm workplace
Event Development Coordinator Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 10, 2017
I enjoyed working here for the past year. It was a very calming environment. It was nice to see how a non-profit is run. My preceptors were encouraging and helpful.
I was a ALA Event Participant
Participant - AEBT (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 26, 2017
I participated in the ALA Autumn Escape Bike Trek from Plymouth, MA to Provincetown. Over a 3 day 160 mile span of trails and roadways, cyclists trek back and forth across Cape Cod along beautiful scenic routes and make lifelong friends.
I enjoyed working here.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 27, 2017
American Lung Association has men benefits of working there. The staff is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Everyone there has a purpose and they work hard to full-fill that task every day.
Wonderful mission focused organization
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Great organization to make a difference in the lives of people with lung cancer and lung disease, their caregivers and families. It's all about the mission- no money, no mission.
Hard part of this type of job is raising money. Most enjoyable is helping others who need it most.
Pros
Collegeal
Cons
Never enough time in a day to do what needs to be done
Great Times
Director, Online Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2017
I loved the mission of American Lung Association. The people were committed to this mission and serving the public. The work was very rewarding.
I enjoy meeting people and dicussing asthma with them it is very imnportant.
Executive Board Member, Volunteer and Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 29, 2016
Being apart of this organzation for the past 23 yrs has been amazing can not wait to see what the next chapter unfolds.I started when I lost my only brother to this illness. It was after having my eyes open to some things that I knew this was a cause that I would be willing to be vocal about.
Pros
Asthma Education
Cons
More funding
Good mission and commitment to those with asthma and cancer
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLDecember 19, 2016
Though I didn't have much contact with the regional center (Orlando) I was able to assist in providing services to four counties and really believed in the mission and belief of this wonderful organization.
Fast paced with great responsibility
Program Specialist for Advocacy (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PADecember 1, 2016
Requires much with minimum learning curve. Great for individuals who wish to work at a fast pace while focusing on career goal sets within the company itself.
Pros
Family oriented, great benefit package
Cons
Little training, consistantly micro managed
Nice place
Volunteer Leadership (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 21, 2016
Very nice place that tries to good with very down to earth people. I recommend volunteering if you can. Have a lot of cool events
The job sucked
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 28, 2016
Everyone was watching their own back as lay-offs were coming. The job was simple but people made it complicated. You always felt like you were being watched, ugh.
The upper management could be better.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 7, 2016
Day to day, I loved my job with the American Lung Association. Unfortunately, the regional CEO is just biding his time until he retires. While he says he's not a micromanager, his management style goes deeper than that. He does not support his managers, he insinuates that certain positions are on the line, and he takes no action when his managers go to him for support and advice. High turnover is a big issue, which impacts the organization's reputation in the community. The organization's mission is great, but they will continue to experience high turnover without strong upper management in place.
Pros
Flexibility, great mission
Cons
Terrible upper management, high turnover
Community involvement and provide health education in lung disease progras
Public Relations & Education Program Associate (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 10, 2016
Overall it was a company that cared about our community and those with lung disease. They were caring and we gave many emergency equipment to families with children who had lung disease and couldn't afford hospital or medical equipment, even elderly people who needed wheelchairs, medications, etc.
Pros
Helping people with lung disease
Cons
Facility reorganized and I lost my job
Fun workplace and friendly co-workers
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMay 25, 2016
I was able to broaden my social and leadership skills here because of the variety of people you dealt with on a daily basis. I also learned how to help move to a new office and keep calm in chaotic situations.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No mileage reimbursement
Great atmosphere
Intern, Development (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 24, 2015
I liked the office, the staff, and the responsibilities of being an intern. I met some really great people during my time there.
A wonderful place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2015
Educational, friendly, and immense job satisfaction. I learned a great deal about air quality. for example, fuels that are polluting to farmland burning. Coping with Cardio Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Asthma.became very important to me. I was in charge of holding monthly meetings with highly qualified speakers to assist these wonderful human beings with as much information as possible to help make their lives more comfortable.

I also assisted in running a camp for Asthmatic children. One week every summer these children would go to this special camp where all their needs were met considering their condition. It was a true joy.
Pros
Peers that were smart with a wide range of interests, education with vast knowledge of COPD, and Asthma