American Lung Association

American Lung Association Employer Reviews

A great non profit organization
Development Manager (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAApril 15, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: need a larger volunteer base
Communicating with committees and community the importance of fundraising goals for the mission of saving lives with education on lung health and improving air quality.
The management staff is very good and very helpful.
The hardest part of this job was goals to exceed pressure and events being close together.
I so enjoyed working with my hard working – more... coworkers, knowing that all had many duties to make the events a success. Seeing community members that volunteer their time is very enjoyable. – less
Positive Environment
Internship/Program and Development Student Fellow (Current Employee), Orlando, FLApril 10, 2014
Pros: community involvement
Always a great and fun place to work. Other staff members were very dedicated and truly believed in the mission. Such an environment always involved a high morale.
Great work/life balance
Program/ Policy Manager (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLFebruary 4, 2014
It's great to know you're working to make the work a healthier place to live in. The staff is welcoming and encourages both collaboration and creativity in meeting goals.
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 26, 2014
I worked one day maybe 6 hours. I informed the guest who attended about what the cause was about, handed out brochures and demonstrated what cigarettes did to the lungs.

co-workers were friendly

the most enjoyable part was to let everyone know the side effects of smoking and how truly bad it effects your body.
Internship (Former Employee), Charleston, WVJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: since i was an intern i did not get paid and they were not hiring at the time pending my graduation.
I worked there as an Intern while I was in college for 8 months. I was able to answer the phone, assist with projects for the coming year throughout West Virginia. Made outbound calls throughout the state to prepare for Mountain Biking. The people were great to work with. I learned a lot.
Love what I do!
Director (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 20, 2014
Love what I do! Whether working with global corporations, national non-profits or health-related organizations, all have been wonderful opportunities!
Challenging and Fun
Associate (Current Employee), Augusta, MEJanuary 11, 2014
There is a great team atmosphere here. We work together to come up with new ideas.
Interesting Experience
Assistant Vice President for Planned Giving (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 6, 2014
Strange Development interfaces between national office and chartered associations.
Great non-profit organization
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Volunteer) (Former Employee), El Paso, TXNovember 20, 2013
Pros: friendly employees
Volunteering for the American Lung Association was always such a pleasure. There was always different events we would cater and I would always learn something new. Management was fantastic and made sure that we knew the tasks at hand.
Data En try, posting payments of Donations to the company for Trek Across Me.
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Augusta, MENovember 12, 2013
Data entry, enjoyed working with co-workers. Assisted the Office Manager with the Mail. Did filing and trips to the Post Office each day after work.
Volunteering
Volunteer (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: teaching
Cons: asthma
I assist in teaching elementary students how to manage their asthma. It's fun and rewarding.
Good Company
Intern (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 7, 2013
Pros: knowing your doing something great
I enjoy each day I go to work, having learned about strategic planning, writing grants and marketing strategies. I also love my Co Workers who are always very kind. It is hard to always know how to speak with those people who need help when they call but I am able to deal with it fine by asking other staff questions.
Very fun and social place
Volunteer for Health Race (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 1, 2013
This gave me a chance to give people heath information and pass out food to the public and the participants in the run.
Wonderful Work Environment
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 24, 2013
I LOVED working with the American Lung Association. The whole staff felt like family, from our office all the way down to Jacksonville. There is just such a great support system and everyone there loves what they do. It is an incredibly rewarding place to work. The hours are awesome and it's a pleasure going into the office each day. The programs that – more... are promoted are wonderful and there is a strong sense of community. I would highly recommend working for the ALA. – less
Great organization!
Regional Manager (Former Employee), American Lung Association in South CarolinaApril 24, 2013
I had the joy of working with ALA in SC and truly enjoyed my time while there! It is a great organization, fun events to plan, and a cause worth fighting for!

If you enjoy planning events, fundraising, and building relationships--this is a great opportunity for you!!
Great place to learn about non-profit event marketing
Event Marketing Intern (Former Employee), Providence, RIApril 17, 2013
Calling past participants of the event to inquire about their participation in the event coming up. Calling local companies along the bike route to offer them an advertising opportunity in our guide book.
I learned that marketing takes a lot of mailings, emails, and making cold-call to ensure participation and sponsors.
Management was great, always – more... willing to help whenever I had questions. Always gave appropriate and accurate direction.
Co-workers were great, very friendly and willing to answer all questions. – less
A great non-profit organization full of passionate people who want to spread the word about the harm smoking causes.
Internship (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2013
I was an intern; however, I was seen as a regular employee from the first day which I appreciated. My preceptor was great, and showed me the ropes if you will on how the organization is ran and all that goes into it. I feel very lucky that I was able to be an intern, and appreciate my experience there everyday!
Great benefits and compensation but does have a downfall
Tobacco Control Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIFebruary 27, 2013
The benefit are GREAT!!!! but the company does not try to relate or build relationships with the community. It compares itself to the mainland but here and there are different. mild paced environment but your coworkers are wonderful.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the people you can help and experience what the state is doing to help its community
A wonderful program
Asthma Educator (Former Employee), los angles, californiaFebruary 4, 2013
Asthma education is one of the great programs provided by American Lung Association.
Nice, supportive workplace
Coordinator, Tobacco Cessation (Current Employee), Springfield, ILJanuary 25, 2013
I love that on any given day I can help people quit smoking....I work with great people who care about advancing the public health mission. The office that I work in has a relaxed environment and the people are really willing to help.

About American Lung Association

The American Lung Association is a voluntary health organization whose mission is to save lives by improving lung health and preventing – Read more