American Lung Association

American Lung Association Employee Reviews in United States

Fun workplace and friendly co-workers
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMay 25, 2016
I was able to broaden my social and leadership skills here because of the variety of people you dealt with on a daily basis. I also learned how to help move to a new office and keep calm in chaotic situations.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No mileage reimbursement
Great atmosphere
Intern, Development (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 24, 2015
I liked the office, the staff, and the responsibilities of being an intern. I met some really great people during my time there.
A wonderful place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2015
Educational, friendly, and immense job satisfaction. I learned a great deal about air quality. for example, fuels that are polluting to farmland burning. Coping with Cardio Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Asthma.became very important to me. I was in charge of holding monthly meetings with highly qualified speakers to assist these wonderful human beings with as much information as possible to help make their lives more comfortable.

I also assisted in running a camp for Asthmatic children. One week every summer these children would go to this special camp where all their needs were met considering their condition. It was a true joy.
Pros
Peers that were smart with a wide range of interests, education with vast knowledge of COPD, and Asthma
Cons
American Lung Association is a wonderful non profit agency that helps educate the community around their mission.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CaliforniaSeptember 2, 2015
Implemented various health related programs within the Community.
Directed Asthma Camps for over 7 years. Managed and trained staff, work-study students and volunteers to run programs within the community. Facilitated various clubs, camps and coalition meetings.
Worked in development managing fundraising events, gathering sponsors and worked with media. Involved in advocacy in changing policies locally and statewide. Work proficiently with Data Track inputting information into our data base. Responsible for researching and writing grants for local programs. I supervised over 15 direct reports and volunteers. Facilitated and directed many clubs within the community.
Pros
This job was very rewarding and enhanced my management skill set.
Cons
Being a non profit funding was limited the office closed during the restructuring of company.
Great event with great people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Providence, Rhode IslandAugust 6, 2015
I participated in the fight for air climb with my girlfriend. We both co-led our team and raised money to donate to the American Lung Association. I enjoyed participating in the event and loved raising money for a great cause.
Passionate organization with strong mission
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 15, 2015
Passionate staff and volunteers working together to achieve the mission of the organization thru fundraising events, awareness campaigns and promotional messaging.
best first internship ever
Staff Assistant / Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 2, 2015
This was my first internship and I loved it. Even though the internship was unpaid, it prepared me for future positions as well because I had to dress professionally, answer phones, and prepare for future positions in a business environment. In the interview, I was surprised that I got the opportunity to work as an intern because I was so used to getting denied from other positions that I didn't know what to make of this one when it came up. The stair climbing events were always a success and despite the months it would take to prepare for them, The American Lung Association reached their goal each time and to be role models to families and communities, it says a lot because sometimes we take asthma and lung cancer for granted because maybe personally, we may not be diagnosed, but we have a friend or a family member who is diagnosed and each time I donate or volunteer to the American Lung Association, I think about this. There was no better first internship I could have had and I thank them for everything!
Lung Association
Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2015
Administrative assistant and it was a great environment that I enjoyed working in the office and I also put lots of packages together to present to the different communities.
Treat interns very well.
Health Promotions and Programs Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 12, 2015
At American Lung Association, they made me feel like I was an integral part of the staff. We worked as a cohesive unit to spread lung health awareness all over the Central Florida region and beyond.
Lack of leadership
Director of Digital Production & Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2015
There was a distinct lack of leadership and lot of turnover at the executive level. Would not recommend this organization to anyone.
Absolutely the best company at that time
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2015
This is the best company I have ever worked for. I had a great salary! My co-workers were awesome, especially, my supervisor.
fun environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Process invoices, cash receipts, termination, process payroll
Cons
short staff
Administrative Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 3, 2015
I volunteer weekly at the American Lung Association office and participate in events as well.
Productive Workplace with a great team
Environmental Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 12, 2014
The American Lung Association Environmental Team is a great team to work with. The work environment is very friendly. I am never scared to ask questions about a project. Currently I work with data collection and analysis for multiple projects.
The hardest part of the job is during grant proposals and reporting. As a non-profit, all of our funds are acquired through grants. So during parts of the year we have to complete multiple projects at the same time. I also find this as one of the more enjoyable parts because I like to keep busy.
Summary
Development & Health Promotions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 30, 2014
You have to work closely with coworkers but are left to do a lot of independent work. I don't feel I was properly trained to do my job more of secretary work than anything. Disappointing as a college graduate.
Pros
your own office
Cons
30 min lunch
Friendly Staff
Volunteer Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 21, 2014
Staff and doctor were easy to work with. Gain a lot of surgical experience.
Productive and educational
Volunteer Experience (Former Employee) –  Fresno CAAugust 20, 2014
Enjoyed teaching students effective ways to treat asthma at home as well as school.
Minor
MINOR (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 29, 2014
I was a minor who was as they said undercover trying to get any store with tabacco to sell to me
Rewarding and fun place to work.
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 29, 2014
Enjoyed the responsibility and had great relationships with co-workers.
Pros
the people in the office and in the field.
Cons
low pay.
Neighborhood Campaign and collect other donations year round.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYJuly 29, 2014
This has been a very rewarding job experience! I not only get to meet people in my community, but also feel so grateful about knowing that I may be helping in finding a cure some day for lung disease. The hardest part of this job is getting people to donate. I actually even collect donations in other states besides Kentucky and that feels awesome!

4.4