American Lung Association Employee Reviews

Nice place
Volunteer Leadership (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 21, 2016
Very nice place that tries to good with very down to earth people. I recommend volunteering if you can. Have a lot of cool events
The job sucked
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 28, 2016
Everyone was watching their own back as lay-offs were coming. The job was simple but people made it complicated. You always felt like you were being watched, ugh.
The upper management could be better.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 7, 2016
Day to day, I loved my job with the American Lung Association. Unfortunately, the regional CEO is just biding his time until he retires. While he says he's not a micromanager, his management style goes deeper than that. He does not support his managers, he insinuates that certain positions are on the line, and he takes no action when his managers go to him for support and advice. High turnover is a big issue, which impacts the organization's reputation in the community. The organization's mission is great, but they will continue to experience high turnover without strong upper management in place.
Pros
Flexibility, great mission
Cons
Terrible upper management, high turnover
Community involvement and provide health education in lung disease progras
Public Relations & Education Program Associate (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 10, 2016
Overall it was a company that cared about our community and those with lung disease. They were caring and we gave many emergency equipment to families with children who had lung disease and couldn't afford hospital or medical equipment, even elderly people who needed wheelchairs, medications, etc.
Pros
Helping people with lung disease
Cons
Facility reorganized and I lost my job
Fun workplace and friendly co-workers
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMay 25, 2016
I was able to broaden my social and leadership skills here because of the variety of people you dealt with on a daily basis. I also learned how to help move to a new office and keep calm in chaotic situations.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No mileage reimbursement
Great atmosphere
Intern, Development (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 24, 2015
I liked the office, the staff, and the responsibilities of being an intern. I met some really great people during my time there.
A wonderful place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2015
Educational, friendly, and immense job satisfaction. I learned a great deal about air quality. for example, fuels that are polluting to farmland burning. Coping with Cardio Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Asthma.became very important to me. I was in charge of holding monthly meetings with highly qualified speakers to assist these wonderful human beings with as much information as possible to help make their lives more comfortable.

I also assisted in running a camp for Asthmatic children. One week every summer these children would go to this special camp where all their needs were met considering their condition. It was a true joy.
Pros
Peers that were smart with a wide range of interests, education with vast knowledge of COPD, and Asthma
Cons
American Lung Association is a wonderful non profit agency that helps educate the community around their mission.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CaliforniaSeptember 2, 2015
Implemented various health related programs within the Community.
Directed Asthma Camps for over 7 years. Managed and trained staff, work-study students and volunteers to run programs within the community. Facilitated various clubs, camps and coalition meetings.
Worked in development managing fundraising events, gathering sponsors and worked with media. Involved in advocacy in changing policies locally and statewide. Work proficiently with Data Track inputting information into our data base. Responsible for researching and writing grants for local programs. I supervised over 15 direct reports and volunteers. Facilitated and directed many clubs within the community.
Pros
This job was very rewarding and enhanced my management skill set.
Cons
Being a non profit funding was limited the office closed during the restructuring of company.
Great event with great people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Providence, Rhode IslandAugust 6, 2015
I participated in the fight for air climb with my girlfriend. We both co-led our team and raised money to donate to the American Lung Association. I enjoyed participating in the event and loved raising money for a great cause.
Passionate organization with strong mission
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 15, 2015
Passionate staff and volunteers working together to achieve the mission of the organization thru fundraising events, awareness campaigns and promotional messaging.
best first internship ever
Staff Assistant / Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 2, 2015
This was my first internship and I loved it. Even though the internship was unpaid, it prepared me for future positions as well because I had to dress professionally, answer phones, and prepare for future positions in a business environment. In the interview, I was surprised that I got the opportunity to work as an intern because I was so used to getting denied from other positions that I didn't know what to make of this one when it came up. The stair climbing events were always a success and despite the months it would take to prepare for them, The American Lung Association reached their goal each time and to be role models to families and communities, it says a lot because sometimes we take asthma and lung cancer for granted because maybe personally, we may not be diagnosed, but we have a friend or a family member who is diagnosed and each time I donate or volunteer to the American Lung Association, I think about this. There was no better first internship I could have had and I thank them for everything!
Lung Association
Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2015
Administrative assistant and it was a great environment that I enjoyed working in the office and I also put lots of packages together to present to the different communities.
Treat interns very well.
Health Promotions and Programs Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 12, 2015
At American Lung Association, they made me feel like I was an integral part of the staff. We worked as a cohesive unit to spread lung health awareness all over the Central Florida region and beyond.
Lack of leadership
Director of Digital Production & Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2015
There was a distinct lack of leadership and lot of turnover at the executive level. Would not recommend this organization to anyone.
Absolutely the best company at that time
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2015
This is the best company I have ever worked for. I had a great salary! My co-workers were awesome, especially, my supervisor.
fun environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Process invoices, cash receipts, termination, process payroll
Cons
short staff
Administrative Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 3, 2015
I volunteer weekly at the American Lung Association office and participate in events as well.
Productive Workplace with a great team
Environmental Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 12, 2014
The American Lung Association Environmental Team is a great team to work with. The work environment is very friendly. I am never scared to ask questions about a project. Currently I work with data collection and analysis for multiple projects.
The hardest part of the job is during grant proposals and reporting. As a non-profit, all of our funds are acquired through grants. So during parts of the year we have to complete multiple projects at the same time. I also find this as one of the more enjoyable parts because I like to keep busy.
Summary
Development & Health Promotions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 30, 2014
You have to work closely with coworkers but are left to do a lot of independent work. I don't feel I was properly trained to do my job more of secretary work than anything. Disappointing as a college graduate.
Pros
your own office
Cons
30 min lunch
Friendly Staff
Volunteer Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 21, 2014
Staff and doctor were easy to work with. Gain a lot of surgical experience.