American Marketing and Publishing

American Marketing and Publishing Employee Reviews

Rewarding Career and Passionate Caring People to Work with
sales representative (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILDecember 3, 2015
This is an amazing company to work for! The company is so positive and really cares about their employees. AMP is a great opportunity for someone who wants to grow with a company, continue to challenge themselves, and have fun every day at work. Your hard work never goes unnoticed, and is always appreciated. At AMP you're not just another employee but someone who is valued. I love that the harder you work the more money you make. This is definitely a merit based position.
Pros
Positive work enviroment, fun contests with cash prizes, paid time off, company paid trip for top sales reps, career growth, and performance based promotions
Cons
If you want a career where you are in the same role forever, paid the same amount of money no matter if you work more or less, this isn't the company or position for you.
Outside Sales
Sales rep (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 2, 2015
I worked non-stop around the clock. It was very exhausting and I was always thinking about work, which isn't a bad thing but sometimes you have to let go.
Best company I've ever worked for!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Dekalb, ILJune 5, 2015
This is one of the best local media companies out there. You will not find another local advertising company where you can make this type of money and work so close to home. I love that I can be home nights and weekends with my family while also advancing my career. The company has amazing training and a phenomenal leadership development program. The BCBS benefits are really good, too.

The print and digital offerings are amazing and the company continues to grow. I'm excited where the company is headed and I'm glad to be part of it!
Pros
Base pay, car allowance, insurance, training, advancement opportunties, work life balance
Cons
Not for someone who doesn't like rejection or hard work
love the customer follow thru
sales (Current Employee) –  saint joseph miMay 21, 2015
Love this job. They do amazing things for their custimers. Great customer service and follow thru. Every task is done in a timely manner.
they highly respect their customers and their employees. Forever greatful to have bern accepted to the amp family
Pros
amazing sales support and incentives
Horrible! Stay Away from this Company!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dekalb, ILMay 7, 2015
First of all the recruiter will lie to you to get you to work for them. The turnover rate is very high. There were 28 people in my training class and I was the last one left after only 5 months. Most of the reps quit in the first 2 weeks. Here is why... First they tell you will on be 45 minutes from your home, my first area was over an hour. When you ask them about it they never give you a straight answer. I emailed my manager & the VP of sales twice & they would never respond via email because they don't want it to come back to them to bite them. The gas $ they provide is a joke, the wear & tear on your car will cost you in the end. They put a GPS tracking devise on your phone. The also know when you listen to your work voice mails & when you read your work emails. They send you texts all day, leave you voice mails constantly & send you emails on the weekends with brain washing information. They do this because they know the job position is horrible and they want to try to keep you as long as they can suck you into their cult like company. You have to sell $10,000 before you start making commissions. It's a joke because the average print sale is around $300. They also deduct money from your paycheck if you don’t sell certain products they offer which are not that good anyway. Customers are dropping their print advertising at a fast rate because no one uses the phone book anymore. They have a script you have to memorize for every situation, you feel like a puppet. They teach you to get into a business talk fast and get out with a signature before the customer can change their  more... mind. They even take in a phone book where a customer had advertised in it 2 years prior but not the current year and tell them here is your ad do you want to make any changes to it. They don't tell them that they do not have an ad in the current book, I have seen a veteran rep do this and they show you how it is done. They do anything to get a sale. It is very deceiving to the customer. They will keep you stuck in an area where you have to go back to the businesses 3 to 4 times and they get annoyed. As soon as you walk into a business & tell them you are from the HomePages the customers smile turns to a frown as they remember seeing 4-5 different reps visit them because they are constantly hiring new reps because the turnover is so high. The job is all about numbers, management don't care about you. They just want to make their bonus. They expect you to work 2 days a week until 7 pm knocking on home based businesses. You also don't get paid on holidays for the first 4 months because they know the probability of you being there that long will most likely will not happen. The job will suck the life right out of you. Do yourself a favor & stay away from this company!!  less
Pros
none that I can think of
Cons
long hours, paycheck deductions, scripts to memorize, low reimbursement for gas money, dying product to try to sell
Office
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 1, 2015
A typical day at work with my position is a lot of multi-tasking. There are times that there is not enough time in a day to get everything done.
Great Company where HARD WORK pays off
Territory Closer (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INMarch 26, 2015
This is a very fast-paced, high performance organization. You are paid on performance (with a small base salary) and the potential for advancement is strictly based on your performance and where you want to go with the company. I have learned a lot by educating and selling small-medium sized businesses LOCAL advertising that works. I have met a lot of great people, helped a lot of businesses grow, and this opportunity has provided for a very nice living for my family. The leadership from Top to Bottom is great, as I've never been able (or felt comfortable) being able to even call the CEO if I need something!

This is a growing company and a lot has evolved even in the last few months as far as some of the comments go on here regarding pay structure. Everybody has a choice in how much focus we bring each day to the field. Stay focused on getting good at all aspects of the sale and you will be successful! The bonus structure is achievable every month for huge financial gains. Ask good questions during the interview-nobody is here to sell you on what a great opportunity this is for the right person (we all know how great it is)-it's up to you to have the WANT that is necessary to be successful! One thing is for sure-This is an equal opportunity for each person who joins the organization. It is a promote from within culture and if you work hard everyday, follow the system that is taught during the amazing training that is provided, and maintain a positive attitude, you can move up very quickly.

This company is at ground level and about to explode with the new products. If you
  more... want to be challenged daily, are competitive and want interpersonal and professional growth in an independent environment,this could be a great fit for you.

Cons

Is this easy work? NO. It is hard work that requires a great work ethic, a positive attitude for when the times get rough, and an entrepreneurial spirit to succeed. You get what you put in with this career from a financial standpoint! This job requires drive and dedication to working a lot of the time alone (must be independent). Those that turnover are usually the result of lack of drive, determination, and trying to figure things out "their own way". The system that is taught has driven growth for 17 years-learn it, love it and adapt to it!

Advice to Management

The growth of the company has been helped by the recent "upgrading" of training, including the morning success calls, refresher training, and monthly team meetings. This is important to most people who want to be successful so keep thinking of how we can evolve (even have more of) these points of contact with our teams. This is invaluable time that is necessary to keep evolving!
Pros
Pay, competitive culture, personal & professional growth
Cons
Hard work, rejection
Best company I have ever worked for.
Former District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Central IllinoisMarch 3, 2015
This is by far the best opportunity if you want to make a great living, move up quickly in an organization and feel great about helping small businesses. They continue to grow with their products to help the small business and keep up to date with technology. Management is always available to help. Best training out there. Supportive, and the incentives are outstanding. If you are willing to work and put forth 100% and have a strong desire to make a great living and succeed. This is the opportunity for you. Hands on with continued education and support. Only place I know where CEO will take your call at any time, and higher management is always available. If you want great pay, great incentives and great support, this is the place. Hard work will pay off. I would recommend AMP 100 times over. Only reason I left was I moved out of state where they are not currently in. Would come back in heart beat if they were.
Pros
supportive, great continuing education and training, great incentives and bonuses, pay for performance company.
Cons
only cons are if you are not willing to work or put forth effort.
Not a company I would recommend to anyone. Stressed through the roof!
Publishers Representative (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILFebruary 20, 2015
Started with the company after a gruesome, week-long training session in a classroom of about 10-15 others. Went out in the field with no experience, with a "trainer" that was cocky and had me lie about my efforts so he could leave early. After that, the area manager had little to no contact for months and was very unhelpful with my success because I wasn't a top performer. After being with the company for several months, I was failing to meet expectations and received a nasty phone call from the VP of the company accusing me of not being within my territory during designated hours. The company installs an application that tracks your location both ON and OFF company time, which they claim is only used for work purposes at the time that you sign your contract. Two nights a week you're also required to go to peoples homes alone and try to sell them from 5-7 p.m. Several time I was deducted for not hitting goals and had to pay them as a result. There were times I was basically working for free because the deductions range from $350 and up for every marker you do not meet.
If you have any health issues, personal emergencies or just are struggling, don't expect to get any sympathy when it comes to meeting your goals. The lack of training for underperformers is a joke. This company only supports and encourages top performers.
Pros
fantasic insurance. working independently, pay is good when goals are made, no weekends.
Cons
pay deductions, home based business visits alone, lack of training and development after classroom certification, too many hours, etc.
Commission is only earned after reaching $10,000 or $7,500
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  not importantDecember 12, 2014
If you do not reach your monthly threshold you will not earn commission. Meaning if you do, your years salary is virtually paid back to the company within 3-4 months. Meaning there really is NO salary. There are also monthly deductions if certain packages are not sold in the month. Minuscule gas stipend which does not come near what you spen in gas in this position. Company also requires you to use your personal phone for buisness which will go off all day long weekly an on weekends, stipend for phone is also laughable. Territories are not given based on tenure or quality of work but rather tomrw reps who are very good at waging the dog and not making any waves.
Th rah rah mentality is nearly impossible to stomach, but if you are a follower you will fit in perfect.
Bottom line is read through the lines during the recruitment process it's all a whole lot of untruth. Oh yes, and your every move is recorded as they use your personal phone to GPS your location throughout each day.
Pros
work from home.
Cons
see below.
Stress and Incoordination Not Worth Your Time
Claiming (Former Employee) –  DekalbNovember 4, 2014
Like many places, they do a good job of hiding how bad it is to work here at first. The pay seems appropriate, management listens to you, and you're made to feel like you're doing something important daily. Apart from the fact that your coworkers are generally good people, that's all the good I can say about this company. Here's what you can expect, and won't like. Be prepared to be trained very specifically how to do something, and then be talked down to after it proves unsuccessful. This place is very keen on doing things according to procedure, and management will NOT accept any suggestions from their employees, who actually have a better understanding on how things work, due to performing the job daily. Great job if you want to feel like you're not to be trusted and want to work under people who know less about what they're managing than their employees.
Pros
decent pay, great co-workers, cupcakes monthly
Cons
inconsistent day-to-day, irresponsible management, a tendency to punish employees when their system fails
Hard working Christian family man.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 26, 2014
I sold print, text, online & web solutions to SMB. I serviced current accounts & created new accounts via cold calling. I managed 15 salespeople in the NW Illinois territory.
Account Manager
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  MokenaMay 28, 2014
B2b sales Developed sales and marketing opportunities through B2B cold calls that consistently met targeted goals. Presented potential clients with business strategy solutions.
Renewed contracts with current clients and closed new business contracts.
Pros
renewals
Cons
yellow book dying out
High energy and enthusiastic company
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Dekalb, ILMay 23, 2014
The schedule was great but it became very lonely in your car all day by yourself. Had a lot of book training and role playing but almost no hands on training and so it was very difficult to find what works for you when you have no guidance.
Everything you need to succeed
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMarch 14, 2014
I was really impressed when I started here how thorough sales training was and that although there was a lot to learn, we had everything we needed to feel really well prepared when we got to the sales field.

The trainer that started me on my first day (everyone gets started by a seasoned veteran who's really good at their sale) showed me exactly what I should do on a daily basis and made sure I got off to a good start. It was really nice to have someone in my territory helping me on Day 1. It was hard at first to adjust to the fast pace, but I got used to it and after about 4 months, really hit the ground running.

The part I like best is that my effort really pays off in my commission checks and all you need to do is sell! At my old company we were always bogged down with paperwork and customer service issues that it really took time away from selling. Here, it's great because you can focus on what's going to make you money. Selling!

The sales support at Headquarters is awesome. They are there all the time to answer any questions and provide you with all the tools you need when you're out in the sales field. They'll even email you sales aids on the spot to help you on a sales call.

As for management, there is a very open door policy and they are there for their salespeople (my manager is almost always in the field with a rep on my team), but you have to be proactive and reach out for help. If you don't ask for help, the job will feel overwhelming at times, but as long as you let your manager know you need help, they will be there for you and work with you to make you better.
  more... It definitely didn't come overnight for me, but I kept following the system and now it feels like second nature to me. They mean it when they say if you follow "the system" you will be successful. I know that because it worked for me!  less
Pros
ongoing training, positive environment with lots of recognition, commissions and bonuses reflect the work i put in
Cons
if you're not comfortable with sales this is not the position for you.
Boring and stressful
Proofreader (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 9, 2013
Proofreading phone books in a basement really and truly is as boring as it sounds, but stress level is high due to unreasonable deadlines and limited regard for quality and accuracy. Upper management is like Big Brother: every second of your work must be logged (bathroom breaks!). Management expects proofreaders and graphic designers to work like machines instead of people. If you can keep your self-esteem while being treated as if you are a lazy and/or stupid replaceable cog, you're a stronger person than I was.
Pros
pay is somewhat decent
Cons
mandatory overtime, control-freak management.
Excellent
Executive Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 25, 2013
This is a great and growing company that has great opportunity for driven and enthusiastic individuals.
Pros
pay, great manageement
Cons
travel, territory breakdown
Bad experience
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Northern Illinois and Southern WisconsinAugust 30, 2013
I worked here for six months, which was about 3 months too long. One time I was 10 minutes late to my territory (managers would pop in on employees), which was over an hour and a half from where I lived and they docked me my car allowance that month. So they got a free car and gas for the entire month. I was also an above average performer at the time. They also made me stay in my territory after I was finished there. I was not allowed to leave my territory for about a month after I was finished visiting every possible business multiple times. Therefore I had a month of annoying business owners who had told me no at least 3-5 times before.
Pros
sales bootcamp
Cons
too many to list
Worst Company EVER
Sales (Former Employee) –  Des MoinesAugust 9, 2013
Terrible company to work for, if you dont make your goals for 2 months straight you are put on straight commission just a warning. And you are expected to spend way to much of your own money in gas. Dont believe the hype- NO ONE USES YELLOW PAGES.
Cons
everything
They make more money then they give
Private (Former Employee) –  Dekalb, ILJuly 16, 2013
Over worked and underpaid. I've seen good workers fired and horrible brown nosers get constantly promoted. It's not what you know it's who you know that gives you advancement with the company, if you can wait 2-5 years to get a promotion. It felt like I was serving time while big brother watched every move I made
Pros
some nice people in office
Cons
too many to list