American Medical Response Employee Reviews

Learning Experience
EMT/Paramedic/Critical Care Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2018
There is a lot to be learned from this organization. Sadly there are a couple of bad apples making serious decisions for the company which leaves a lot of misses opportunities for the right people.
Good for beginners or relaxed career
Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2018
It's a transport only job in Houston. Not bad for a first time job as an EMT. Days were we run calls constantly while other days expect to have 4 hours of nothing to do. Low stress. Literally in the ambulance the whole shift. Only at the station to pick up an ambulance and to return it after shift.
transitional job. not permanent for me
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2018
typical day at work would be showing up to the base of operations, checking your ambulance to be sure it is ready for a days work. then wait for dispatchers to dispatch you to different calls throughout the day. calls to transfer patients, you assess vital signs, care for patients talk to nurses, and ultimately transport the patient. management you don't talk to, too much, but will talk to them from time to time about any issues or suggestions.
Pros
feeling of freedom to work
Cons
sometimes so busy you don't get a chance to eat a meal
Beyond Stressful
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 10, 2018
Working in a high paced, urban setting was great. Working for a company in a high paced, urban area, that had no regard for employee safety was beyond stressful. Crews ran constantly from one end of the city to the other, oftentimes crossing paths with another ambulance enroute. Management was not concerned with overworking crews.
Fast paced and no day is the same
Emergency Medical Technician, EMT-B (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 9, 2018
AMR is a fast paced environment and if you want experience with emergency this is definitely the place. Unfortunately. The moral is terrible and management is unkind and unsympathetic to the needs of there employees.
Pros
You can learn a lot in E
Productive, good experience in emergency situations and interfaculty transfers.
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 9, 2018
I enjoy working at American Medical Response. I would like to advance in my career with something towards my end goal of nursing. I enjoy day co-workers and having good communication hit the supervisors.
Uneasy work environment
EMT-Basic (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 9, 2018
I would suggest working at this company if you are solely interested in experience and do not mind being overworked. This company is very understaffed due to their below average pay and the crews on the road pay for that.
front line supervisors work hard for the crews, but the old mentality is still there
Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 9, 2018
Everyone in corporate that sits behind the desk has forgotten the struggles of the front line employee. Low wages, constant "promises" that remain empty, and general management unwilling to listen to their front line supervisors. It's ridiculous. After working here for two years, I've never gotten a raise. No advancement opportunity.
Pros
co-workers are alright
Cons
management, regional management, and HR are cometely useless
Management does not care about you.
Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2018
All AMR operations are different. This review does not reflect all of AMR. This specifically reflects the experience that I have had at the Dallas, TX operation.
The management will not care about you. You are simply a body on an ambulance to them. Lots of mandatory overtime. Incredibly fast turnover rates. Really nothing positive to say about this company. The pay they offer is NOT what you will make. They offered me $17.75/hr. My paychecks state that I make $16.39/hour. Management and HR has no intention on making it right, if you can even get a hold of them...
Pros
Cons
No breaks, poor management, no regard for employees' needs, terrible equipment, old ambulances.
Unprofessional and scary place to work
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 28, 2017
Not interested in bashing a national EMS provider, but people should not be less important than profit. Patient care reports are not receipts for care, they are medical documentation of a job well done. Work/life balance is a foreign idea to anyone who manages there, not a place I would recommend.
Pros
Cons
Refer to the comments
Good pay and benefits, but not worth putting up with the abuse
Dispatcher I (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXDecember 26, 2017
Constantly understaffed, you will be overworked and underappreciated. Employees are seen as expendable resources. Management is lazy and will not resolve issues between employees, constantly ignore PTO requests while they take month long vacations themselves, and are incapable of creating a schedule that balances work fairly between employees.
Nice place to work.
Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT) (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 26, 2017
It's your usual convalescence service; the hours are long and you're usually simple doing a lot of waiting. The employees are nice and friendly. Some of the equipment should be updated.
Pros
Free meals!!!
Cons
Long hours!!!
A nice place to work
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 19, 2017
I enjoyed my time at AMR. It was good temporary job to have, they let you work at your own pace. A typical work day includes entering new applications for new members. I learned more about how ambulance companies work. The hardest part was the monotonous work of entering data into two different systems. The employees were great, it was a nice relaxed atmosphere.
busy system very poor management
PARAMEDIC (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 17, 2017
love the job but politics are the worst its who's butt you kiss most of the people are good and work conditions are great management is extremely bad but would go back if different
Great atmosphere and people; poor compensation
Emergency Medical Technician Basic (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 14, 2017
Great job with awesome 911 experience and a fast paced, quick learning environment. The supervisors and co-workers are easy to talk to and create an enjoyable work atmosphere. As an EMT Basic you cannot make a living working there without putting in heavy amounts of overtime each week. We are paid very poorly for what we do.
Fast Paced
Associate Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Farmers Branch, TXDecember 14, 2017
AMR is a fast paced environment that requires well trained employees and forwarding thinking management. At time managers focus more on the short term than the long term outcome of policies that are set. That's not to say that you can't have a satisfying career, there just may be times when the leadership is more focused on completing tasks instead of investing in employees.
Pros
Great Benefits, Competitive Pay
Cons
Long hours, short breaks, stressful working conditions.
I worked at AMR for about 7 years and for the most part enjoyed it
Full time critical care transport nurse (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CADecember 13, 2017
I worked as a critical care transport nurse and transported patients from one facility to another. When I first joined the company we had respiratory therapists who were part of the team when a patient was oh a ventilator. They got rid of the RTs and the nurses has to transport the patients on ventilators. I never felt comfortable with that arrangement. RTs go to school for 2 years and I think they should be there for transports. However, I did hear that the RTs have been rehired. I would transport between 4 to 6 patients a day depending on the distance between hospitals and the traffic. I learned critical thinking skills and autonomy. The first several years were nice because we posted at the station. Then that changed and we had to post on street corners and were always in the ambulance. That was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part was getting patients to their destination safely.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
having to post and stay in the ambulance all day long
Great company to work for!
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYDecember 10, 2017
Working at AMR has been a pleasure. Competitive pay, great benefits and opportunities to advance in the business. AMR values their employees and treat them well.
Typical day at work for AMR
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CADecember 10, 2017
For the most part i enjoy working for AMR, I have been here for 5 years. Most people are nice and fun to work with. This company is the only company that holds a 911 contract with Riverside County, and it is a good place to gain experience for any further medical job in ones future. The hardest part of the job is getting no breaks and no lunch breaks, no down time either for the most part. We are not paid what we should be, our healthcare also is not what it should be considering we are running calls on very sick people, and if we get sick, our insurance doesnt cover much. Management is better at the Riverside division than the Redlands division where i used to work. I feel i can actually approach and talk to my supervisors, theyre friendly and seem to really care about their crews and their happiness the best they can. The best part of the job, is seeing things most dont see, and getting to figure out what to do with paitents. All agencies work as a team and its amazing what comes out of a bad situation when we all work together. Also, if you ever do get down time, you can study if youre in school, or even run your errands. You and your partner are free and on your own for 12 hours if you look at it that way. Ive gained much experience working here and i wouldnt trade it for anything in the world.
Pros
If you have time between calls, you can run your errands or study for school.
Cons
no lunch breaks, bad healthcare, not paid enough, not enough ambulances on the road for the call volume, we dont get any break usually in a 12 hour shift.
Work place
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 9, 2017
I like my partner, I don't like getting off work late on a daily basis. I enjoy the interactions I have with the different patients. The culture is typical for an ambulance company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Medical Response. Our community is ready to answer.