American Medical Response Employee Reviews

Fast paced and exciting enviroment
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 22, 2017
AMR is an exciting place to work, from taking high pressure 911 phone calls to dispatching out the multiple calls you receive. You learn how to manage your resources and how to problem solve. It's a great place for team work, we all rely heavily on each other for information and help with everyday tasks. The best part of this job is that you are able to help people. You are the first contact they make with help, you're able to get them the help they need. It is nice to follow through with the cases to see how the patient is helped.
Pros
Medical Benefits, fast paced enviroment, Opportunities for advancement and continued education.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
Emergency Medical Technician Intermediate (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GADecember 3, 2016
A great family to work with. Terrible benefits and dont expect to have any help with your schedule if you plan on going to school.
Dont expect to have any consideration when you need a specific schedule.
Pros
co workers are like family.
Cons
shifts, benefits, and pay stink.
Great pay but with long hours, low morale; it doesn't make working here worth it.
Dispatcher I/Call-Taker (Current Employee) –  Farmers Branch, TXMarch 11, 2017
I love working in the emergency medical field. Every day is a new day with different challenges and situations. There is nothing more rewarding than helping someone through a difficult time, whether it's as simple as reassurance, or walking them through how to help save their loved ones. My schedule helps with me enjoy a personal life with my partner and activities we enjoy doing together.

However, AMR takes alot of the morale out of its employees. They don't offer assistance programs on how to deal with stress or emotional issues associated with this field. The management team, while some are great, most don't seem to grasp the understanding of its employees and what they go through on a day-to-day basis. Its promotional and training programs are not very consistent or thorough, choosing to hire outside individuals instead of promoting within and not providing enough resources to train its employees.
Pros
Excellent schedule, competitive pay
Cons
Long work hours, large work load
Pros and Cons
Emergency Medical Technician Basic (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 31, 2017
Receive issued gear from service techs and check ambulance. The skills gained through employment with AMR are extensive. I have minimal interaction with management. Workplace culture has much room for improvement. The hardest part of the job is the commute from my home. The most enjoyable part of my day is working with an outstanding medic and having the opportunity to learn.
fun-family friendly environment
Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2017
Great management, like family environment. Helps you when you need it (even when you think you don't). Helps you succeed in your EMS career, opportunities to go to paramedic school.
Bad
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Herkimer, NYDecember 26, 2016
Terrible Morale. Low pay, long hours. In a corporation you are just a number. Very few ways of billing in ems so overhead inhibits good pay. ems is just bad in general when it comes to making a decent income.
not bad
EMT-Intermediate (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 25, 2017
Not a bad company overall supportive, advancement opportunities. Educational and training opportunities. Management helpful.
fun work place
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Port, BEFebruary 5, 2017
will write a detailed review at a later date.-long hours no lunch breaks , and always held over , favoritism. weak union, shop stewards will through you under the bus.
Great experience!!
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMMarch 15, 2017
I really enjoyed my time with AMR in Valencia. I liked the work environment and idea of being my own boss of the ambulance. There was no micromanagement and that is a huge plus for me. I have made great friendships that I will continue even though I don't work at AMR anymore. It was a great stepping stone.
Advancement
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAMarch 2, 2017
AMR has great opportunity for advancement whether you start as logistics and promote to EMT or start as an EMT and eventually move into the office. I spent 5 years with the company.
Good place
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 5, 2017
A good place to work. Plenty of hours. If you like "mom and pop".... it won't be your cup of tea. They are a very large company. But, plenty of room for advancement.
Pros
Good pay for the area.
Cons
Not very personable
Pre Hospital Care
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 17, 2016
daily emergency care and transportation of public needing medical care from onset tEducation is a needed item to help the public more understand their health conditions. co-workers work together with almost no communication needed when treating the public from many hours of training. not being able to save everyone from the uncontrolled circumstances of life. knowing that we have provided more advanced care to further someones life one day at a time.
Pros
knowing we have helped someone
Cons
not being everywhere all the time.
Best job ever
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAFebruary 10, 2017
I worked for the company for five years. Best job I have ever had. No promotion or money in it. So much excitement and no day is ever the same. People were good coworkers.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 19, 2017
Good place to work. A lot of employees with longevity. Team members work good together. Clean environment. There's not a lot of opportunity to grow at a management level.
A good national company
PBS Billing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 11, 2017
This was an exciting and great place to work. The management was very supportive of staff and rewarded achievements in real time. This was a great motivator for the team.
Good place to start out
Paramedic - Basic (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 18, 2017
Good employer. I enjoyed starting my ems career here. There are rules but no one is ever breathing down your neck, with the exception of the dispatchers.
Job security
PARAMEDIC (Current Employee) –  12600 NW 107 AVE Medley, FLDecember 30, 2016
A typical day at work is being sent across the county for calls and trying to keep from trouble. Management is constantly trying fire employees. The most enjoyable part of this job is being with happy co-workers and helping people in need.
EMS life
Ambulance operator (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 6, 2016
Great company with decent benefits, but it is very reactive. The pay is terrible but the staff is awesome. Easy to schedule around school and family. Stable safe work.
Pros
experience and overtime is available
Cons
sometimes you cant take a lunch, or break, and almost never get off on time.
Second Favorite Place to Work.
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 3, 2017
Processed Bi-Weekly Union Payroll for 200 to 400 exempt and non-exempt Employees, Gained Knowledge of ADP Payroll System, Successfully used Excel to Track Union Allowances, Maintained all Employee Files and Helped to Relocate Payroll Department to Denver, CO, including an Internal Audit.
Pros
First interaction with a Union Payroll.
Cons
Relocated to Denver, CO
Overall experience
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLSeptember 23, 2016
Working at AMR is not as hard as one would think once you get the hang of it. Just do your part and everything else will follow. I enjoy working with the majority of the people here at this company. I learn something new everyday. Reciprocity is the key to working here. Be nice and others will be nice back. Just be yourself, care for people, do your job to the best of your ability, and truly enjoy what it is that you're doing.
Pros
Learn new things daily, get to be interactive with people, flexible schedule, can pick up shifts whenever you want.
Cons
Pay is very low, you will have to work beyond the time that your shift ends.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Medical Response. Our community is ready to answer.

American Medical Response Reviews by Location