American Medical Response Employee Reviews in United States

typical day of work
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLJuly 10, 2016
going in early and transporting patients to facilities all day or sitting in the van waiting for a call and getting off late
fun place to work
Accounts Payable Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2016
fun place to work, big company many opportunities to travel. All of the office that underneath the umbrella of AMR are really great t work for.
Pros
pay
Cons
local management
Good company to off at and gain experience from.
Business Development Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2014
American Medical Response allowed me to challenge myself and to find creative ways to sell. I enjoyed going out into the field and meeting clients face to face building a relationship with them. However, It was a very competitive and corrupt business. We were an honest company who followed compliance therefore lacking business forcing the Brooklyn base to close. This I would say was the hardest part of my job. If I didn't produce enough business, I'd have to answer to my boss. There was a lot of pressure on everyone, causing stress. I really liked some of my co workers and are still in contact with a few of them. They also offered great benefits to their employees. It's a shame the Brooklyn based was closed due to poor business.
Pros
good benefits, good hrs.
Cons
unorganized, unhappy employees, no room for promotion.
Great place to start
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAOctober 9, 2015
I think it's a great place for EMTs to start right out of school. I felt the training period was sufficient and they had plenty of resources. There were some problems with management but that tends to happen when it's a corporation. For the most part our union fixed those though. I had a lot of really great coworkers, very few who were unpleasant. It's just a great job. The nice thing about about Seattle was that we had Mercedes ambulances too. If you were lucky enough to get one of those you were set.
Pros
freedom, not in an office
Cons
questionable management, busy weekends, will probably start working nights
About AMR
EMT-Basic (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 10, 2016
It was a job that I was trained to do and AMR afforded me the opportunity to use the skills and knowledge I have in order to succeed in my job.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
For what we do and have to deal with, the pay and benefits could be better
Not a good place to work
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  CTApril 5, 2013
EMSC is owned by a private equity firm. This equals suits who only look at the bottom line and want a return on thier money. The company strives to do more with less. That means dropped units on a daily basis, equipment and vehicles that are in poor condition and angry facility's that you are late to respond too. Management is horrendous to say the least. They only care about bonuses for themselves and employees are treated poorly. Pay is at the top of the scale and its strictly because of the Unions but health benefits are terrible. The company is also actively up for sale so keep that in mind.
Pros
pay (only if you work in an union shop)
Cons
many, management, corporate attitude, poor equipment and vehicles, no room for advancement
Loved my job
Prebilling Coder (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 25, 2016
Very good work environment, very flexible and loved to work and do my job. Too bad they had to outsource. Management was always updating and giving us refreshers.
Pros
flexible
Don't stay long
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 20, 2013
I started at the company in 2000 since then I have seen them decrease their core values and increase the amount of empty promises a thousand fold, through controversy and internal political strife, an EMT will be poorly treated by customers, management, and dispatch. If you are young person who is health and wants to progress in their career this is an excellent place to work. If you are career driven person who wants longevity out of a job keep looking. People who get internally promoted have to be ruthless and have poor moral standards, where you are willing to sell out everyone you make friends with to succeed. Benefits are expensive, and progressively worsening, the work union has no leverage against this corporate conglomerate.
Pros
experience of a life time.
Cons
being critically injured with no support from the company. no lunch, no breaks, forced to spend your days cramped in an poorly designed ambulance, and made to do the worlds bidding.
Poor management
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 26, 2016
Under staffed, poor management and communication in this region. Other employees across the country seem to love the company.
Typical private ambulance service
Field Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Farmers Branch, TXMarch 29, 2016
Definitely opportunities if you apply yourself, and decent work environment if you apply yourself, keep your head down, and do your job perfectly.
Amazing work environment.
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSSeptember 9, 2015
AMR employees provide emergency medical services in every type of environment. A typical 12 hour shift can include, but is never limited to, cardiac, endocrine, pediatric, neurological, or traumatic emergencies.

Working for AMR provides extensive experiences in emergency medicine. AMR also provides experience with respect to caring for diverse populations, which can often be the most challenging part of this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside colleagues and learning valuable skills from each of one them.

Fun workplace with supportive management. Management cares about their employees, especially with respect to personal and professional growth and development. Policies and protocols are appropriate and reasonable.
Pros
FREE CONTINUED EDUCATION/CERTIFICATIONS
Cons
Busy schedules, sometimes with limited breaks.
Good to gain experience, but get out soon
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOOctober 19, 2013
The job itself was really awesome, and it's one of the few places that will hire with little to no experience. But there is no opportunity for career advancement and the turnover rate is ridiculous. Management's sole purpose is to save the company money at any expense: Outdated equipment, ambulances that are falling apart, no raises for the employees, very little overtime. If you don't suck up to the bosses, it's only a matter of time before they find some silly reason to fire you.
Pros
the job itself was great, most coworkers were awesome
Cons
bad management, bad equipment, poor advancement opportunites
Unorganized, terrible management, poor employee treatment
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 5, 2012
Worked on the "back up" ambulance which in turn ran more calls then the "dedicated" ambulances. Worked 48/96 schedule, constantly worked standing 48's. Brought up safety concerns and was told "it is not going to change" from management. Had a co-worker address similar concerns and in turn ended up falling asleep behind the wheel of ambulance, LUCKILY very minor damages occurred and NO persons were harmed. Advised management of situation and was written up! This co-worker had brought up numerous concerns about this to management and was also told, it will not change. The pay is terrible, benifits lacking, favoritism is constantly shown to specific employees. It is all in who you know and your quality of medicine does not matter.
Pros
hospital staff members
Cons
favoritism, poor pay, poor benefits, poor management.
Was a great place to work with great people
Search & Add Rep (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MS.June 10, 2013
I began my employment as the front desk receptionist. I greeted customers, answered multiple line switchboard and transferred calls accordingly, scanned, copied, emailed and faxed documents as required, and all other general office duties. After 2 years I transferred to Patient Billing where I entered transport tickets into company data base(data entry), searched data base for existing accounts, updated patient demographics as needed and verified patient insurance. Most of the management I worked with were great, got along wonderful with my co-workers, we were a team and worked well with each other. The hardest part of the job was reading the medics hand writing and trying to input the information into the system. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Pros
work schedule (monday-friday 8 to 5) and great benefits
Good first EMT job
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 11, 2016
I learned how to provide better patient care and enjoyed taking care of patients. I was not happy with schedule or sitting in truck all day in parking lot.
Mgmt sucks the life right out of you!
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Arlington TXApril 3, 2013
Former EMT-B Arlington, TX I worked for AMR for over 3 years. I was recruited from up North and promised in writing that if I pay my own relocation, I would get Arlington 911 @ a certain rate, didnt happen until I forced the issue. Worked 80-100 hours a week to support my family and cover open shifts as begged by supervisors, but it took 3 years to get a raise, cheap cheap. Always running out of essential supplies like 18g IV catheters and regular fluids. Trucks are always breaking down causing mission failures. Folks are always being mandated because they can't keep employees. No incentives, no moral support, and God forbid you get injured....
Pros
camaraderie among field crew is half and half
Cons
mgmt totally sucks ducks!!!
Quality and commitment to each community and employee.
Dispatcher ll (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIApril 25, 2012
On a daily basis, receive and dispatch incoming 911 and routine ambulance traffic. Learning to be the calm in a emrgency situation. Management was a constant presence, encouraging a stable environment to serve. Co-workers support each other throughout the shift and off shift.
The hardest part was not knowing the out come at time. There is always the unforeseen element.
The support from management and staff created a sense of family and care. For the highs and lows of the job, they were there.
Pros
wage compensation, support, advancement
Cons
severity of work, hours, necessity
Productive heavy work load
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 23, 2014
Heavy work load with little help
good benefits
questionable
really miss co-workers
keeping up with the work load
being able to help the co-workers
over all it is a good company to work for they have very good benefits and the employees are very caring. The work load is just to much for one person to keep up with and meet the expectations the upper management expects.
Pros
being able to assist the co-workers
Cons
not being able to keep up with the heavy work load
Enjoyable work place
EMT-B/Driver (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 12, 2015
A typical day at work includes driving ambulances, taking care of patients and sitting for prolonged periods of time. I learned much about patient care and patient contact. The management is well set up and easy to talk to. The co-workers are all friendly and easy to get along with.
No better than any other commercial ambulance service.
Paramedic/Field Training Officer/ALS Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 19, 2015
AMR in DC is no better than any other commercial service. Crews are routinely held past their end-of-shift time. Dispatch at times will have an ALS unit running BLS calls while a BLS crew is posting. The management is often unaware of the activities of the crews or dispatch.

American Medical Response Reviews by Location