American Medical Response Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to start
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAOctober 9, 2015
I think it's a great place for EMTs to start right out of school. I felt the training period was sufficient and they had plenty of resources. There were some problems with management but that tends to happen when it's a corporation. For the most part our union fixed those though. I had a lot of really great coworkers, very few who were unpleasant. It's just a great job. The nice thing about about Seattle was that we had Mercedes ambulances too. If you were lucky enough to get one of those you were set.
Pros
freedom, not in an office
Cons
questionable management, busy weekends, will probably start working nights
Never again
Alternate Supervisor/Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLOctober 8, 2015
I will never work for this corporation again. It's too bad they didn't take everyone when they left Pinellas County. You are a number and nothing more. A commodity. Kind of like Kleenex- disposable!
Pros
I can't think of one.
Cons
Too many to list
Quality patient assessments and transport.
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 5, 2015
• ACLS and BLS assessment/treatment/transportation of patients to hospital/outpatient clinic/nursing home/ALF/home.
Pros
Always moving and everyday is different.
Cons
Driving all day on dangerous roads.
fun
Ambulance Internship (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 29, 2015
it was a fast day maybe some days it would be slow. on the run to go to each dispatcher call. helping or taking care of patients in need and transporting to the right facility
typical private company
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2015
this is my second go around with AMR. I enjoy the calls and my coworkers. i really appreciate the company. i maybe a supervisor in the near future
Fast Paced, Critical Thinking
Dispatch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Farmers Branch, TXSeptember 24, 2015
Want to make a difference? Want to save a life everyday? I worked in a face paced call center that covers the state of Texas.
Pros
Long Hours
Cons
No free food
All about the numbers
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Concord, CASeptember 20, 2015
Not a lot of advancement opportunities. Tons of red tape since it is a large company. Unclear expectations with a terrible workers union.
System Status Controller-II (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSSeptember 16, 2015
This is a great company to work for. Good pay and benefit package. Great co-workers. Management staff takes care of empoyees.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
missing my children working holidays and weekends
Very busy office and great people
Billing verification (Former Employee) –  Natick, MASeptember 16, 2015
Unfortunately, the office I worked for had been moved to their main headquarters in Acron, OH. As a result, the employees were laid off. I had a few years there and they have trained me with several opportunities which afforded me to move up and be promoted in new positions.
Pros
I was able to learn a lot of different things
Cons
We were laid off
Difficult to work for this division
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 15, 2015
I transferred to here from New Mexico AMR was a primary Paramedic and worked streets. Management was not supportive and found ways to get you in trouble. They lost alot of good Paramedics do too the poor management
Emt
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 13, 2015
AMR management operates outside of state and federal law in many ways. Company is all about billing - not patient care or employees.
Amazing work environment.
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSSeptember 9, 2015
AMR employees provide emergency medical services in every type of environment. A typical 12 hour shift can include, but is never limited to, cardiac, endocrine, pediatric, neurological, or traumatic emergencies.

Working for AMR provides extensive experiences in emergency medicine. AMR also provides experience with respect to caring for diverse populations, which can often be the most challenging part of this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside colleagues and learning valuable skills from each of one them.

Fun workplace with supportive management. Management cares about their employees, especially with respect to personal and professional growth and development. Policies and protocols are appropriate and reasonable.
Pros
FREE CONTINUED EDUCATION/CERTIFICATIONS
Cons
Busy schedules, sometimes with limited breaks.
Productive and great company to work for in Torrance, CA
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 31, 2015
A typical day at work for me was sending out the office announcements via e-mail. Process and completing travel and reimbursement via the Concur system.

The co-workers were great. The Executive team was awesome.

The hardest part of the job was when the layoffs were being submitted to the team.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing each staff member come to work saying hello to them. Also, when the office had the office events, such as The In and Out burger truck and the Taco truck come out to celebrate Office appreciation day. Seeing all of the happy staff members taking a break together in celebration of their job well done. We had great VP's and Directors.
Pros
Staff was great, great benefits
Cons
Our Torrance, CA facility was laid off..
Communication Center
Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  BoulderAugust 31, 2015
Small close knit multi - communication center. Single manned employee for large nationally known private ambulance company.
The management of 10-15 ambulance fleet, 6-8 radio channels, 2 phone lines, 1 - 911 EMD line is all in one person's hands and ears for a 12 hour shift 3 days a week then 4 days a week alternating. You have to love it to keep at it.
American Medical Response
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 30, 2015
This company is a great start as a paramedic. They care about quality and advancement is encouraged.
However, in saying that, there is a "certain" type of person they are looking for. Single with kids is not encouraged.
Busy system, if this is what you like. You get a lot of experience in a short time.
Pros
They are the highest paid paramedic on this side of the state
Cons
Judgemental, short transport times.
Decent for experience
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  Auburndale, FLAugust 26, 2015
Decent employer to gain experience. I would highly recommend this employer for any new EMT's looking to gain a little bit of experience before getting hired with a Primary 911 Provider
Great place to work with exceptional and caring coworkers.
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 24, 2015
There's a new GM in place. He started strong but hasn't made good on the key things employees wanted to see put in place. Granted EMS is a numbers driven industry but manpower was always an issue. Too many dropped shifts, making those who did show up to work, work entirely too hard.
Pros
Great coworkers.
Cons
System status is a tough way to live on the job.
Great place for EMS experience.
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 21, 2015
This is a great place to be if you're looking for emergency service experience. If you're looking to be a paramedic, this is a great place to be, solely due to the fact that you are working with paramedics who allow to pick their brains for further information. Co-workers can range from poor to excellent, if you do not have a set partner you may get along with most and not with others, this is just a personal preference. I enjoyed working here, but would prefer working 24s over their 12 hour or 8 hour cars. Don't come in thinking you will be getting off on time either, you will usually be held over, and that is just the nature of the job.
Pros
Working with Paramedics, overtime, and benefits.
Cons
No 24s (at least in the Rancho/Redlands division), pay.
Providing customer service with BLS and ALS skills
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAAugust 15, 2015
An amazing division with helpful and supportive management, as well as knowledgeable coworkers. By far the smallest division, but covers the most ground. An extreme amount of diversity in culture, patients, and calls.
Love this job
BLS Patient Care per protocol, assisting Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 14, 2015
Holds the contract in colorado springs. Busy place. Lots of hours and physical demands. Love the work as an EMT. Great place to learn the job, and to build a career in EMS.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Medical Response. Our community is ready to answer.

American Medical Response Reviews by Location