American Medical Response

American Medical Response Employee Reviews

its given me the experience to work in our society and, help those who are in care.
Vehicle Support Technician (Current Employee), miami flDecember 2, 2014
overall love the job, i always try to better serve our community and city, to those who are in need of help and care, to do the best of my ability and give my all to our society.
AMR was the best decision I have made so far, career wise.
Emergency Medical Technician-B (Former Employee), Longmont, CONovember 24, 2014
Pros: hospitals feed ems workers, for free!
Cons: no breaks, sometimes working 48 hours straight with no rest.
Work with AMR was challenging, invigorating and enjoyable. 48 hour shifts began with a complete inventory of the ambulance and station, followed by ordering the supplies needed if the off-going crew failed to order used supplies. While running the inventory, we would clean the ambulance and wash it to make it suitable for patient care and public presence. After that, we wait until a 911 call is assigned to us and then we respond, treat the patient, and return to the station where we clean and restock as needed.

The management in the division I worked in was doing the best they could with a brand new contract. Personably they were wonderful, supportive and assistive. However, while kinks were being ironed out of the contract, there were definite growing pains, mostly for the managers who were often seen as the "bad guy." They did the best they could and should be commended for their efforts.

I learned so much about people, mostly I learned that in dire, difficult and heart-breaking situations, you have two options. To let those situations break you, or to let them polish you. You see the best and the worst that the world has to offer and it is your choice how to respond to stress, heart break, heart warming situations and even difficult partners, patients and other health care providers; not to mention civilians, and other emergency personnel. I learned how to love people that society says are not lovable. I learned how to function and thrive in stressful and hard situations. I learned how to comfort that 90 year old grandma who is afraid she'll never see her husband again, and how to make that first time mother laugh when she calls an ambulance for her infant with a cough. I learned how to give the worst news anyone has ever dreaded to learn. I learned how to put my trust in Jesus Christ to take all the hard things from my heart, and fill it with His compassion and love for each person.
Extreme Work Environment
Paramedic (Current Employee), Northeast DivisionNovember 20, 2014
The local and corporate management have lost touch with our reason for being here, our patients. Management varied from division to division. Expect to get out very late every shift.
Great company, love working there,
EMT-B (Current Employee), Portland, ORNovember 18, 2014
Pros: rewarding job
Cons: not enough hours
Love everything about this job and company, just not enough hours.
It was a fun place to be.
Billing Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburg, CANovember 4, 2014
I had a great time working for them. I learned many things and had wonderful management.
Productive and fun place to work.
Certified Training Instructor (Former Employee), Burlingame, CAOctober 28, 2014
Pros: great co workers
Cons: high stress for accuracy
Always challenging dispatching job. Great co workers. High stress for accuracy and integrity.
AMR was a great learning experience for me
Cash Reconciliation Specialist (Current Employee), Modesto, CAOctober 27, 2014
Pros: detailed work, work is varied
Cons: company is closing their ca offices and outsourcing our work
I began working in the Cash department processing patient and insurance refunds. This grew into learning the receipt portion of the job working with several different people to make sure the deposit was complete for posting. After a while I was promoted to Cash Dept. Lead where I reviewed and resolved daily issues with both the receipt and refunds staff. In 2011 I was again hired to a lateral position as Cash Reconciliation Specialist where my daily work is to balance the incoming cash to what has been posted to the patient trips. This involves intense review and research into several posting batches to verify they are in balance to the total amount of cash received.
Exciting, fun, challenging, rewarding
Paramedic (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAOctober 27, 2014
I find happiness and satisfaction in every work day, knowing that I have been a part of helping those in need.
Productive work enviroment
Quality Assurance Auditor (Current Employee), Modesto, CAOctober 26, 2014
This job has help me build my billing experience. It has made it easy for me to balance my work and home life by providing flexible work schedules.
Fun work environment, but lacked job security
Medicaid-HMO Coordinator/Medical Records (Former Employee), Modesto, CAOctober 25, 2014
Pros: supervisor, co-workers
Cons: management
When a company has "training classes for new hires," that usually means your job is bound to come to an end. Though this company is about to go under (not that I wish anyone lose their jobs), the way management was ran from when I was last there (2010) was a clear indication that the company would eventually go down under.
Overall a great company to work for
Business Development Coordinator (Current Employee), Denver, COOctober 20, 2014
Pros: benefits, culture, professionalism
Cons: too reliant on budget and misses growth opportunites
AMR is a good company and takes care of its employees. I think without a doubt it us the best national ambulance company.
Fun and rewarding job
Emergency Medical Technician-B (Current Employee), Lancaster, CAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: not knowing what to expect that day.
Cons: not enough work out equipment.
A typical day starts off with inspecting the ambulance you will be working on that day whether you are working a short hour or 24 hour shift. The stations are set up to facilitate a kitchen, beds, and showers. We take care of station cleaning duties. From there we have free time until we get toned out for a call. Most of our calls are 911 calls and some are non emergency transports. We run calls all day and night in our district until our shift is over.

What I've learned is how to have good customer service. How to stay calm in a what could be a stressful environment. How to work as a team with co-workers and other responders on scene and at hospitals.

Management treats us really good. Every now and then we have BBQs along with sporting activities to boost moral. Our field supervisors are always there to help us and provide any supplies we're missing.

The best part are the co-workers. We look out for each other on scene and in other emergency situations. Everyone for the most part enjoys what they do making it a pleasure to come to work. Everyone is very easy to work with and get along with. We are like a big family type environment and are close with each other.

There isn't really any hard part of the job. Everyone that went through EMT school knows what to expect in the EMS field. The individual should know that depending on what station they work out of you may be running calls non stop for the whole 24 hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the rewarding feeling that you made a difference at the end of your shift whether is was just simply waving at someone as you drove by to being able to save someone that was in cardiac arrest. You get to work in different types of environments, enjoy the weather, being physically active, and most of all the co-workers. I have had the pleasure of working special events such as movie sets and music award ceremonies. I can honestly say I enjoy coming to work and not knowing what to expect that day.
Low Pay / Low Value of Employees
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee), Tampa, FLOctober 19, 2014
Pros: 3 or 4 days a week scheduling, decent benefits
Cons: low pay
Employees on the ambulances are treated poorly, extremely low pay and not valued.
Billing agent/ Coder (Former Employee), Gulfport, MSOctober 17, 2014
Pros: professional yet fun enviornment. being recognized for a good job
Cons: nothing
Going in to your desk knowing that you are not going to face a day of
drama. You go in and do your work and offer help to anyone that may need it.

Learning that working in this industry demands a certain type of person. You have to have compassion and patience to deal with the
hub of the operation. You work closely with people that are out in the field that come across a variety of situations.

Hardest part of the job was leaving at your scheduled time. You didn't want to leave anything unfinished in case someone needed to review an encounter from the previous day.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of knowing that you made a difference in someone's day
they run you to death in the field and only care about turning over calls, not their hard-working employees
EMT (Former Employee), Pompano Beach, FLOctober 11, 2014
Pros: absolutely none
Cons: false accusations, forced to grossly exceed lifting standards, $9/hr
As a field EMT or Paramedic, you are disposable at this company. The only thing they care about is turning over calls as quickly as possible. Field workers are not allowed a lunch, in fact youre not allowed to even stop for food, pay is only $9/hr. They insist that you exceed the lifting capacity standards with only 2 crew members, they say BLS trucks dont need a Pulse oximeter, "those are only for ALS trucks, if your patient turns blue then bag em". They violate the Federal Dept of Labor laws about what HR says to anyone calling to inquire if you worked there, beware anyone looking to ever get another job ever, someone is going to have to sue them to force them to follow the law and NOT talk trash about you and literally drag your hard-earned licenses/degrees/student loans/reputation through the mud. It is literally illegal what they will say about you. They will actually falsely accuse you of wrongdoing and write you up, so if you ever work with a bad employee who lies that you did something wrong or someone who just screws up, whomever they like better will walk away scott free and the other person will end up with a completely false writeup in your file. If you care about the patients and your patient care, you will NOT do well at this company. I took my concerns to the President of the company and he sloughed it off on someone who is just as crooked as the frontline Mgrs, they dont care about the employees and dont care how good of an EMT/Paramedic you are, if that bad employee falsely accuses you, or a good employee just screws up, YOU will get the short straw.
Love it
Paramedic (Current Employee), Stone Mountain, GAOctober 11, 2014
The best place to do this job. Quick in service time. HR is the best. Nice equipment.
challenging, interesting, fun employees
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee), Stockton, CAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: feeling like family
Cons: long hours
going on 911 or BLS calls, never knowing what lay ahead of you on a call. management and crews where great people.hardest part was loosing a patient when you know it could of been prevented
Love this place!
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 9, 2014
Great place to work! Fun, laid-back, and fast-paced. Lots of room to grow and opportunities to learn.
Paramedic in high call volume service
Paramedic (Current Employee), Dekalb County, GAOctober 7, 2014
AMR is a great place to work. I am looking to expand my capabilities as a medic and start working as a RN.
I loved working there.
Clerk (Former Employee), Torrance, CAOctober 6, 2014
I really thought i was going to work there longer than 9 years.

About American Medical Response

Because driving yourself to the emergency room isn't always the best plan, there is American Medical Response (AMR). With thousands – Read more

American Medical Response Salaries

$40,000 per year
Paramedic
$20.00 per hour

American Medical Response Photos

Meeting of the Minds. Me with 2 of my bosses.  Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil.
EMT class graduation for local fire departments 2013