American Museum of Natural History Employee Reviews

Great Work Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York,NYAugust 18, 2015
You come across a lot of tourist and events around the museum. Must learn your way around the museum because you get asked for directions a lot. Expect surprise visit by celebrities and company executives. Fun workplace but poor management.
fun and productive experience
Work one morning a week as a teaching volunteer (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 19, 2015
Pros: free access to certain areas of museum
Cons: waking up early to get there on time
i learned how to work with other people and how to guide people through different exhibits.

management and co-workers were nice
Fun place to work, but it doesn't pay well
Database Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 1, 2015
Pros: Free access to the AMNH, great co-workers
Cons: Low pay/benefits
Very flexible hours, can come in before or after museum hours if needed. Management and co-workers are great, everyone is passionate about science/history. Museum bureaucracy and red-tape can be annoying during the hiring process or when it comes time to get a 24/7 ID, but otherwise its all good.

Not much room for advancement and projects are grant dependent so job security isn't the greatest.
The job isnt bad
PT Visitor Service Representatives (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 15, 2014
it soemtimes is overwhelming at time but your coworkers make your day better.
Experiencing people around the world
Retail Sales Member (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 24, 2014
I enjoy working here because you get to meet people from all around the world. Its good to know how much they like New York and tell me about their country, majority are very friendly. Working here is a different work experience.
Interesting and fun work environment
Museum Educator (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 13, 2014
A typical day in the Discovery room was very hectic but, in a good way. Since it was during the summer time, a lot of kids and tourist came to visit the museum. I learned many things from working with people from different ethnicities to many historical artifacts. My manager was very understandable. She knew I did not have background with science but, hired me because I have great communications skills and a fast learner to attaining new knowledge. Learning new things is very interesting and great to know for my future. My co-workers, they were great as well. They were there if I needed help with anything. The hardest part of the job was the difficult parents I had to deal with in discovery room. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people from different parts of the world.
Excellent
Unit Secretary, (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 3, 2014
I will be able to open my computer system to provide quality customer services in the Maintance Department.
Well gained experience to work at
Security Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 30, 2014
Well gained experience to work at, meeting people from all over the world is always a good experience.
VSR
Visitor Service Representative (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 21, 2013
Typical day is selling tickets to visitors all the long. Hardest part is understanding the foreigners sometimes but we do have co-workers that speak different languages.
Productive and fun place to work
Museum Attendant Guard (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 20, 2013
Pros: free tickets
The museum is a fun and busy place to work.
i learned how to inspect automobiles while working in the garage.
Management is always very helpful and support us as a professional team player. The hardest part of the job is understanding tourist different languages but we are patient and help them to the best of our ability. The most enjoyable part of the job is reuniting lost children with their family as the museum is a huge facility.
productive and room for growth
Lead Cashier/Assistant Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 17, 2013
Pros: room for growth
Cons: no full time
working for event network has been a great experience it teaches self awareness and the ability to grow as an employee by challenging you to do your own visual merchandising and leadership qualities in a fast paced but friendly environment
Fun and productive workplace
Paid Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 30, 2013
Pros: visiting the museum for free. free tickets for friends and family.
Cons: had to pay for meals.
I would interact with workers all around the museum because I worked for the Development department and Human Resources department.
At the Development department I would take the donations from the mail-room in form of checks or money orders, I scanned and printed copies of the checks. Took inventory of the checks and their amounts. Entered them in the system via Raiser's Edge. Took them down to Cash Control. At the Human Resources department I would file, shred and make copies of different documents.
I learned how to put checks in the museum's database.
Management was always willing to check my work and give me feedback.
The co-workers would aid if I needed help.
The hardest part of the job was to be able to use Raiser's Edge to enter the information flawlessly on a first try.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to browse Raiser's Edge to learn on my own when there was a lack of donations.
Great work environment, atmostphere and colleagues
Exhibit / Environments Design Intern (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 12, 2013
Have a learnt a lot about exhibition design working here in the past few months. I enjoy the narrative driven aspect of the design process.
Productive fun work place
Associate (Current Employee), New York, New YorkJanuary 2, 2013
Great people and a great place to work. flexible job and friendly environment.
Self-governed employment with an important result
Insect Preparator (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 30, 2012
Pros: being at the museum, great coworkers, an amazing library.
Cons: no possibility of moving to full time work, no security(job ended when the grants ended)
I worked on a part-time basis and was able to come and go on my own terms, logging my hours when I chose. The work was repetitive but rewarding as I knew the insects would be used for valuable research all over the world.
Perhaps the only difficulty was occasionally not having access to materials in rooms that were locked at night or on the weekends, but I merely had to juggle projects on those occasiona and work on what was possible.
Innovative teaching
Sackler Lab Volunteer (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 8, 2012
It was a five hour volunteer job. There was a lot of interaction with museum visitors.