American National Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Productive and great team environment
CDT in Corporate Technology Services (Current Employee), Springfield, MOAugust 1, 2015
Exciting and productive place to work. Gives a great team oriented relationship among all members in the enterprise. I have learned a great deal of providing the highest level of customer service by maintaining service level agreements in an ITIL environment. Management provides me with the best on the job training I could ask for.

My team works together to help solve intermittent networking and physical PC problems, along with a series of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure applications. Time Management is the hardest part of my position, although I have learned how be a very efficient tech.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the end users to solve their problems in a timely manner. I also enjoy detecting and analyzing underlying problems of systems to help minimize future outages within the enterprise.
Self motivated Sales person will do well.
Professional Sales and Service Agent (Former Employee), Westland, MIJune 30, 2015
Pros: HEALTH CARE IS TOP NOTCH
Cons: No consistant work life balance
Manage accounts and customers. A lot of driving and long hours required. There are a lot of ups and downs. Seasons and holidays weigh heavily on your success. The pay is not consistent as it is based on several variables. Not a good source of income for the head of household. Perfect for a second income.
Decent
Sales Agent/Customer Service (Current Employee), Garland, TXMay 29, 2015
Out in the field daily. Good people in the office. Have to be patient and willing to work in the field to be a collector. Sales are not hard to find, but time in the field is heavy.
Fun environment to work. Great co-workers
Summer Tax Internship (Former Employee), Galveston, TXMay 5, 2015
Pros: Great work atmosphere
Cons: Long drive
Learned how to create tax forms through SuperForms and learned how to ship checks. Co-workers are very friendly and motivate me to work harder. Hardest part of the job was to use many excel files to work on the Illinois tax return. Best part of the job is the atmosphere, which is crucial. It has helped me deal with pressure moments.
Can be productive and fun
Life/Accident/Health Resident Producer (Current Employee), Westland, MiApril 14, 2015
Great job to have. Needs to be more of team environment. Management needs to not be high minded. Hardest part of job is to not do things that are not necessary.
Salary not competitive
Database Analyst (Former Employee), Galveston, TXApril 13, 2015
Pros: Hours
Cons: Everything else
37.5 hour weeks were nice, but IT was cut twice so I left before the third chop.
Micromanaged to the point of distraction, not a happy place to work.
It may have changed by now, but this was in 2005.
Fun agent retreats, good managers, solid company
Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Fillmore, UtahMarch 31, 2015
Pros: agent retreats, attending national meetings in Galveston, TX
Cons: Hard to find time for family, strict underwriters, property and casualty accounts require a lot of supervision
A typical work day includes checking the computer to find out which information is missing and who I need to follow-up with. Contacting clients for forms or missing information. Contacting potential clients, prospecting and marketing. Meet at clients or prospects home in the evening to gather information or present insurance proposal. I learned a lot about finding clients problems or needs and figuring out a way to resolve problems or fill the need. I really enjoy working with the management, They are always so eager to help me and to do joint appointments. I hired several secretaries and enjoyed working with them. I also associate with a lot of good agents within the company on a regular basis. I have become acquainted with a lot of good agents who work for American National throughout the U.S. The hardest parts of the job are;maintaining all client information, keeping up on all property and casualty documentation etc., time management, and underwriters. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting with prospects and clients. I enjoy walking away from a home knowing that a client is satisfied with their home, auto, or life insurance policy. I find a lot of satisfaction knowing that a client has coverage or feels a sense of security in a life insurance policy. I really enjoy meeting new people, spending time with other agents, and helping clients.
Good place to get into the insurance field
Case Manager (Current Employee), league city, texasMarch 21, 2015
American National is a good company when it comes to getting the basic skills and knowledge of the insurance industry. Most days are spent at the computer. The downside is it's not easy to learn new skills unless you move to a different department.
American National
Independent Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNMarch 7, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: market presence
Management is disconnected from field sales associates
Exceptional flexibility and work/life balance
Reasonable compensation
No market presence in Knoxville
Great company
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Galveston TxMarch 2, 2015
Great company, They will to send you through classes to learn what you need to have a productive work environment. Friendly staff working for them.
Company that weathers the economy well
Junior Marketing Associate (Former Employee), Galveston, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Great company to work for. Good business ethics and regular opportunities for advancement. Their HR department is excellent.
A productive and challenging work environment
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Abilene, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: independence and personal scheduling were key.
Cons: dealing with many personalities on a day to day basis was challenging.
The sales, service and collection process was a challenging set of diverse circumstances. Never dull or the same from day to day. The most challenging part of being in the insurance business is making quotas and collecting payments door to door. I learned to never take diversity as a defeat but rather a challenge. Diversity is a way of problem solving and making things better. Working independently allows for time management to be a way of life. I was fortunate in that I worked toward and won a trip to Hawaii which gave me much confidence in my work ethic and performance.
loved it
Sale Rep (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 28, 2014
Cons: drive a lot
great job. really flex. fun people
call customers make app. do collections
some good people to work with
Accounting Technician (Current Employee), League City, TXNovember 5, 2014
Pros: a lot of place to go to for lunch
Cons: healthcare cost goes up each year
Employees need training on work ethic.
Have a good and understanding management team.
There is always something new to learn within the department
Morale is low
Lead Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), League City, TXOctober 28, 2014
Employers treat employees poorly.

Employer worked with my school schedule and works with me when I need to switch around my schedule.
Great for a short time.
Case Manager (Former Employee), Galveston, TexasOctober 8, 2014
Pros: cafeteria in the home office
Cons: managers and insurance benefits
A typical day at work is good because of the people that you work with. I learned lots in regards to life insurance. You will have to learn all by yourself. Management really doesn't know the products that we sell or the actual systems that we use. Management lacks in this company. The co-workers are great. You have your lazy ones and you have the ones that work hard. Just like in any other job. The hardest part of the job is when the company puts out new life insurance products and they do not make you aware of them. All of a sudden you get an application for the new product and you don't know what to do. This is why management lacks. In regards to advancement you will have to be a managers pet or be related to someone that has some sort of pull in the company. There are so many employees that are related it's crazy. The people that you work with is the best part of the job. If you like to be confined in a cubicle and have managers that don't really know the business, and only get .10 cent raises every year, this is the place for you. Oh, and for it to be an insurance company the health insurance for their employees in expensive and doesn't cover much.
Productive workplace, very professional
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Galveston, TexasJuly 22, 2014
Besides the old technology and gloomy looking walls and cubicles, I thought the company was great. I learned how to act in a professional manner. It is an older building/company, but with that comes a great history of success. Overall I would say its a good company to work for.
Productive and buiness starts right as you walk in the door
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Chesterfield MissouriMay 23, 2014
Pros: lunches, amazing co-workers, bosses are great
Cons: the pay and the location is to far from where i live
In the morning I go into my Boss/Agents office we sit and talk about clients and what needs to be done for the day. Each day is different due to some hours are spent on Marketing ideas and putting them together, as well as phone calls being made out to clients or underwriters. Also have files that need quoted for home and auto as well as life which I have not got into just yet. I learn something new every day and it is just adding on to my experience and knowledge of the business. I have learned the different language that comes from dealing with insurance company's and also having my bosses back when it comes to making sure to get things done and on time. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a file is fully done and others have been reviewed. That's enjoyable to me because that means more business to move onto. The hardest part of the job is not being able to make every client happy.
Daily Administrator (Former Employee), Galveston, TXApril 22, 2014
I would deal with the daily trading for outside 401(k) plans. I learned a lot about pension plans and the laws that affect them. I had some good coworkers who I still stay in touch with. I really liked the work. The biggest challenge was the deadline for trades. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to see what you accomplished when you were finished.
something to do productive everyday
Life Agent (Former Employee), Visalia, CAMarch 28, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: long days
a typical day was selling insurance and picking up payments from clients , data entry. The hardest part was trying to get ahold of some clients. I learned to deal with a variety of tasks all in one day. My coworkers were helpful and respectful.