American National Insurance Company

American National Insurance Company Employer Reviews

Productive and very flexible place to work for
Sales Agent (Former Employee), Los AngelesMarch 24, 2014
My days were very productive working on the field, I learned to manage my time and stay productive.
Started out as fun, tried to stay to myself and away from certain co-workers
Licensed Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee), League City, TXJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: co-workers, not all but most
I have to agree with another post on here;

"it's high stress due to co workers.
management put up with a lot.
a lot of employees have been there for 20 years or longer and get away with anything."

Sad but true and I was unable to function in that environment since co-workers harassed me for ignorant reasons. The call center can and should do better. – more... Get rid of folks who just want tenure to collect a pension check when they retire, especially if they're numbers are low.

There is free parking, lovely marina view, great restaurants, lots of traffic leaving work, nice gym and discounts, if they can do something about certain co-workers it will be a much better place to work and 5 stars – less
the company makes money off employees high insurance rates
Scheduling console operator (Current Employee), League City, TXJanuary 19, 2014
it's high stress due to co workers.
management put up with a lot.
data entry position with agent emails and calls to respond to
Case Manager Level II (Current Employee), League City, TXOctober 21, 2013
Pros: office is located in league city with parking
Cons: position will be relocated to galveston and will need to find available parking and pay for parking.
I review life insurance policies for accuracy. I handle phone calls and emails from the agents. This requires immediate response. I also confirm new policies and existing policies have the correct plans and requirements needed to place the policy in force. I also monitor the draft dates and ensure all banking information is correct prior to issue.
Good company to work for
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Peoria, ILOctober 9, 2013
Received my certification for life insurance. Worked 40 plus hours a week. Left the company due to my assigned route and the location was in a hard part of town.
Excellent Company to work for
MLGA - Life, Annuity, P&C Agent (Current Employee), Roseville, CASeptember 24, 2013
Pros: new clients becoming friends i just haven't met yet.
Cons: losing a client to premature death/illness
Helping people protect what they value most; Life, Home, Auto, Retirement plans/strategies.
Good experience
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), St. Petersburg, FLJuly 2, 2013
Pros: good money
Cons: catching your clients
Good company to work for, training is great, help you in any way they can, great support, great on the job training.
Meeting a variety of new people daily
Assistant Office Administrator (Former Employee), San Angelo, TXMay 30, 2013
Pros: meeting new and exciting people
Cons: acknowledgment of policy holders dying.
worked with lots of people on a daily basis, I learned alot on the computer, and the management was remarkable. The co-workers were very cheerful, and the hardest part of my job, was finding out when a person died right away, since we sold life insurance. The most enjoyable part of the job, was when the agents came in with all their sales. They had – more... a smile on their faces, due to their hard work. – less
SMEs failed attempt to go corporate
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 19, 2013
The company is a small company that has it's own insurance products that includes health and life. The only problem is the health plans are very outdated, and management is a small community that tends to have a high micro-management operation. It can be difficult to communicate to the some of these officials and certain things have to be done the way – more... they are use to. Things could have changed since I've worked there, but others say the conditions have just became much more unbearable. – less
Rest Assured, Laid Back Atmosphere
Analyst (Current Employee), Galveston, TXMarch 11, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: promotions are based on years service and not qualified candidates or someone is hired externally
Laid back atmosphere. Not enough challenges present personally for myself, but others may find the company culture to their liking.
Productive and interesting place to work.
Health Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Galveston, TexasDecember 27, 2012
Pros: in-house executive dining room and medical facility
Cons: parking issues
With 17 years of work experience in the Individual Health Claims Division at American National, I would have to say that it was one of the greatest experiences in my life. I learned so much about how to run on office, how to effectively communicate with people, both verbally and in writing.
Good first job with great hours
Claims Representative (Current Employee), Springfield, MODecember 12, 2012
Pros: hours, pension, work/life separation
Cons: hourly, advancement opportunities, unable to "own" the job
A typical day at work begins with checking voicemail and emails. From there you simply step into the Claims Adjuster role. 85-90% of the day is spent on the phone. I was blessed to be placed under an outstanding manager, in a great unit. I can't say that every other adjuster is as lucky as I have been. The most difficult part of the job is realizing – more... that not everyone understands insurance, it's a language that is often blurry, even to seasoned professionals. As a guy who prefers face-to-face interaction and the feeling of a job well done, this role presents its share of difficulties. As a whole, this is a company with many different departments to try your hand at. As a recent college graduate, ANPAC has been great to me. As a young professional, ANPAC has provided me with knowledge of what I excel in, where I need to be in my career, and experience to move into a position more tailored for my needs. – less
Great learning experience, but...
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Galveston, TXOctober 28, 2012
American National can be a great place to work, but there is little room for advancement and the pay scale is low.
25 Years of Company Service
Sr. Analyst Clerk/Control Technician (Former Employee), League City, TXOctober 28, 2012
I enjoyed my job here; I liked working with a diverse group of people; Learned a lot on this job in various areas of Life and Health Insurance. Great experience.
It is great place to work but does not have recreation fro the employees
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 25, 2012
Pros: work independently
Cons: work at your one pace in a work and public environment
A great company with immense financial security. The daily function begins with preparation of the number of clients to assigned on your log sheet that either are in arrears of monthly insurance premium and need to be contacted to avoid a late payment; lapse and cancellation of insurance. Reminder phone calls, lapse letters and going in person to determine – more... if there are any problems facing the client to determine a number of options available to the agent. Payment arrangements can be made; premium loans and be negotiated and alternative dates can be set-up to assist client in meeting their premiums payment to avoid a cancellation of their insurance policy. Meetings are usually a part of the daily operations.

I learned to be very punctual, accurate, definitive and render judgment in bot the interest of the clients and the company. Meeting goals is a cardinal aspect of the job and overall performance to the highest is a required obligation.

Management of the individual self person is a direct and necessary ingredient that makes you as an agent function appropriately and accurately. Management of clients, company equipment and organizing oneself makes a lot of difference in making your daily goals highly achievable.

Great and helpful co-workers

The hardest part of the job is when you are not organized.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are organized. – less
Solid company that needs to work on communication
Contracting / Commission Payroll Manager (Former Employee), Galveston, TXAugust 12, 2012
Pros: work life balance
Cons: poor communication
Staff has the ability to be great with the right motivation, unfortunately reviews vary little for those that do the minimum to those that work hard. Management, starting with upper management, needs to be work on their communication with staff. ANICO has a lot of senior management that has been around for years so very little changes. Sales goals are – more... not communicated to the staff so that we can push to achieve them. – less
Example: Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Example: New York, NYAugust 7, 2012
Pros: example: free lunches, etc.
Cons: example: short breaks, healthcare, etc.
Learned different aspects of the insurance business. Fun atmosphere.
Great place to work, make your own hours.
Agent/Sales Representative (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAJune 16, 2012
Pros: free trips if your meet the sales quota.
Cons: meeting weekly sales was hard
Sales Agent position was very rewarding and hard work. Home service to the customers was great, working flexible hours and meeting their insurance needs was rewarding. Collecting premiums, handling lots of cash and keeping confidential information was a good experience.
Micro management at it's best.
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), Galveston, TXJune 12, 2012
Pros: great cafeteria on the top floor of the building with a great view of the island.
Cons: micro managed, don't talk to any co-workers, keep your opinions to yourself, no chance for advancement, you will be treated like the hourly help and not as a professional.
The worst mistake I ever made. I was brought in as a Senior Programmer Analyst and was given a good salary and 3 weeks vacation to start. Then I found out why. They do not want someone who has ideas or opinions to help improve anything. Just shut up, keep your head down and code. They have five test environments and you need to provide a seperate proc – more... for each test environment. Symbolics??? "NO, that's just the way we do things here" was the standard answer to any suggestions you will provide. After two months it made me physically ill to have to get up and go to work. The hurricane turned out to be a blessing for me and allowed me a way out. – less
Great work life balance
Anonymous (Current Employee), Galveston, TXMay 24, 2012
Great work life balance, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about working at this company.