American National Employee Reviews

Good atmosphere and training tools with lots of flexibility,but needs better pay structure especially for their agents
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 7, 2017
American National is one of biggest and longest established companies in the Life and Health insurance business. However I believe if they awarded their agents with better pay and benefits they would have better moral in the work place ,rapidly grow and advance in this industry.
Pros
Flexible/ be your own boss
Cons
Pay structure, cost of benefits
a fast pace company with plenty of room for growth and opportunities to learn.
Collector / Paralegal / Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 3, 2017
I enjoyed working with this company a great deal as I started from the ground up and became one of the top sellers and paralegals in the company. I enjoyed both the collection side and the legal side of the business and became one of the top collectors and salespersons in the company. My salary grew with my expertise and I begin to consider my co-workers as my family. I was heartbroken when the company had to close as my boss retired.
Pros
The Learning Experience is offered to me
Cons
inadequate benefits and Company closure
Great place just seem a little behind times
Agent (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 28, 2017
Good place if they could get to a point of credit card sells and need less signatures for customers. They have a draw system for new agents which is great, just they put a quota on keeping it and their car prices are not the best. Their home rates are great.
Best place I have ever worked for
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 4, 2017
The company seems to care about its employees, great work life balance, and the management is very kind overall very very good
Insurance Company
Cancellation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 21, 2016
I sat behind a desk answering phones and cancelling insurance policies and issuing refund checks,
I learned a lot as this was a new field for me and I had to learn all about it
management was there if you needed them
co-workers were friendly and helpful
hardest was all the learning of new material
Enjoyable was learning all the new aspects of the job.
Pros and Cons
IT Account Manager/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 6, 2016
There are no benefits such as 401k and health insurance and pay is really low. The owners expect you to not talk about politics (as in any place, right) yet they do it. The company has been around for 20 years. I would not recommend working here as job stability is an issue. Many worry about job security.
Pros
All of the office is great to work with including the offshore recruiters
Cons
no healthcare, benefits and low pay. (pay rate is a joke)
Stay very busy
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXMarch 29, 2016
I entered data for payment. I learned medical terminology. This was a great place to work. I had knee surgery and had to be out for quite some time. I liked that they held classes onsite if I chose to attend. The more you are willing to learn the better off you are.
Pros
Classes onsite, insurance
Cons
Parking was very far
Program has a lot of issues to work out
Independent Agent (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 15, 2015
The internship was a waste of time. The compensation was good. But the management was new and didn't have a lot of answers or guidelines for us in starting our agencies.
Pros
Compensation during internship
Cons
Lots of managers that don't have any answers
Unprofessional atmosphere
Appointment Setter/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 2, 2015
I was not pleased with the environment surrounding the call center. While making calls you would have to contend with outbursts of cheers & applause, which you would have to explain to potential customers. Leaving the customers wondering what was going on & if the call was legitimate. It was designed to motivate younger call reps, but I felt it was distracting & unnecessary.
Pros
good incentives & bonuses
Cons
position for youthful callers that need motivating
Productive, fun, flexible
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 15, 2015
The schedule was very flexible. As long as I worked at least 8 hours a day. I would go to our clients houses to collect payments, upgrade products and/or sell products to new clients. I've learned how to manage my time and to call my customers to let them know if I was going to be late/early. The managers were very open to helping me when I needed it most. They had an open door policy and could talk to them about any questions or concerns that I had. My co-workers were awesome! We were always there to help each other. The hardest part of the job was trying to make sure the difficult clients stayed true to their word. Some would say that they would have the money on a certain day, and when I would call them, or go by their house, they gave an excuse as to why they don't have it. The clients and their families are also the reason as to why I loved the job. I love meeting new people and building an awesome rapport with them.
Pros
Free lunch, unlimited pay, great co-workers
Cons
Going by the clients houses and they aren't home
Great company to work for,just looking to relocate
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 22, 2014
I enjoyed the freedom to create my own work schedule and work at my own pace.Learned alot about the insurance business.Management and co workers were great. The hardest part of the job was writing new business in a area where the people are on a fixed or low income.
Pros
setting own schedule
Cons
trying to fins and write new business
This job is amazing
INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  St PetersburgJuly 31, 2014
If you have a car this is a job that is great. they are friendly, great pay
Door to door salesman.
Front End Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 7, 2014
Every morning I would enter the office and plan out my day. My day involved going to my clients houses and apartments and selling them more insurance or new insurance policies. My coworkers were very helpful in assisting me with any resources I would ask for. The management on the other hand was the opposite. I did however enjoy meeting new people everyday, that was pretty fulfilling.
real state company focusing in loan modification at that time, but salary was only commisions, not stable for me.
Loan Modification Advisor (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJune 3, 2014
A typical day of work at ANG was to come to the office, and check first if you had any appointments set. Then, we will contact clients to obtain documents, to inform case status, collect payment, etc. During the day you will also conduct cold calls, trying to make potential clients come to the office. The work environment was great as co-workers were great people to work with, and management was doing a great job most of the times. I have learned so much from this job, I have learned to sell and negotiate with clients, build strong professional relationships, learned about loan modifications and foreclosures. No doubt this was a great job because of the potential sales, but it was not for me as I needed something more stable.
Productive workplace and learning environment
Financial Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 19, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working with American National. It was a great learning experience and allowed me to quickly broaden my knowledge of the insurance industry. A typical day included basic office duties such as composing company invoices, scheduling various appointments, putting together quotes for customers, meeting with clients, sending e-mails regularly, and also maintaining a library of marketing and networking materials. The management guidance that I received was direct and allowed me to work independently on my own schedule, which is my preference. My co-workers were helpful and professional. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the plethora of networking opportunities and event planning avenues that I was able to explore through coordinating car shows and various other promotional events. The most difficult yet also most rewarding component of the job was overcoming objectives and turning them into positive reactions.
not a good expierence
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Peters, FLSeptember 11, 2013
not a good expierence.Did not get support from upper management.
Pros
helping people finding a solution to Insurance needs.
nice people
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 17, 2013
I would go to people house and collect monthly premiums and try to referrals to sell more.
Pros
meeting lots of people
Cons
long long hours
Excellent Company
Agent/ Financial Field Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 5, 2013
Agent daily activities, tranining new agents, building relationships and deepening accounts
Great Work/Life Balance for Corporate Employees
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  League City, TXOctober 22, 2012
ANICO offers a standard 37.5 hour work week and salaries its employees to work 40+. I'm not sure I can ever transition back to a standard 40 hours after enjoying the perks of working for ANICO. With holidays + vac + flex time + an overly generous sick time policy... I can see why so many people work here for life!
Pros
37.5 hour work week
Cons
not all areas get to work the "flex" schedule.
Great Benefits but no life balance
Insurance Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 16, 2012
You worked long hours and you are your own boss. No health insurance so you have to make sure to make enough money to cover your health cost.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American National. Our community is ready to answer.