American Nurses Association, Inc Employee Reviews

Poor Management in the Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MarylandOctober 6, 2015
I recently accepted a job in the Call Center after having more than 15 years of Call Center experience. I was trained by people who had never trained anyone before. The Call Center consists of 5 people who have been working together for 5 or more years and it's all female and very clickish. The manager of the Call Center is very ghetto and has not tact or manners. She's a Micro-Manager who stands over your shoulders while you are being trained or are working. If you are looking for a place to work long term pleased don't apply for the Call Center job in Silver Spring because it's poorly managed and you won't get trained properly. I lasted there all of 2 weeks after turning down higher paying jobs to take this job. I promise you if you take this job you will regret it.
Pros
Benefits & pay
Cons
Total ghetto atmosphere in the ANCC Call Center starting with the manager.
Poor culture/values
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver SpringMarch 11, 2013
This organization has a poor work culture. The employees are unhappy and ANA has a high turnover rate. Management does not know how to manage, therefore, making it very hard for the employees to perform their duties effectively. The compensation is poor. The week off at Christmas is a plus. The members call in with questions and concerns and they are ignored. There is no training for new employees and there are no processes or procedures in place.
Pros
great location in silver spring
Cons
high turnover
Bad Culture, Terrible Leadership
Prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MarylandMarch 11, 2015
Aside from the work they do, under the current leadership there is very low employee morale, high turnover, no work-life balance and lack of respect. The majority of the leadership team are rude, bullies, belittling and will block your ability to grow based on personal feelings and out of spite. This is in direct reflection of the CEO, who also is known for being very unkind, very catty, tends to speak about people behind their back in a manner that resembles purposeful sabotage. They rule by intimidation and belittling. She has been know to throw things at people, yell at them in public settings and has no respect for their personal time or families. It is a very difficult environment to work in for most employees. If you are sick, it is not respected, if you have family issues, it is not respected, your weekends and evenings are not respected. They purposely seek out ways to insult employees and make you feel as if nothing you do is good enough no matter how hard you work. What I envisioned as a great opportunity has turned into a daily nightmare. When employees voice their concerns, it's discussed ONLY to satisfy their leadership goals, but it is not acted upon and nothing ever changes. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Great pay, good benefits, location.
Cons
everything else.
Productive Work Place
Sr. Certification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJuly 23, 2015
ANA, is a great company and they fully believe in customer services eternally and externally. The union is on site and the benefits are very good.
Pros
Union, Benefits, Location
Cons
Salary. Advancement
Fast paced work environment
Sr. Certification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 4, 2013
Working for a company for 7 years with many changes. I have seen a new system be developed and was a super user to test out the new system before it was released. I have helped train countless temporary employees and co-workers on different technical issues with the system and everyday work flow. The job is 100% customer service.We have a lot of high peak times when the workflow is constant.
Pros
Week off paid in December, work schedule
Cons
No growth potential, Salary
Prepare to work w/ little nursing support
MANAGER OF CERTIFICATION SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 15, 2012
challenging place to work. processes could flow smoother with staff support and proper resources. limited growth opportunity for management. Slightly below average compensation but great health benefits. Suprisingly few nurses work in this dept
Pros
health benefits
Cons
traffic to downtown silver spring location, cost of daily garage parking
Have thick skin if you work here
n/a (Current Employee) –  Silver SpringMay 6, 2015
This organization is strange. The employees are all amazing. Everyone is very passionate about nursing and healthcare, and that passion is infectious (in a good way).

That said, "How I Met Your Mother" describes this type of work culture very well in their "chain of screaming." The chain here is a chain of passive-aggressive bullying.

The CEO does it to the rest of the leadership, and they intern do it to all their employees. The employees go home upset and do it to their spouses, which is just not fair to anyone.

Managers are so worried about their jobs and looking good in front of their bosses that they routinely through their team under the proverbial bus. I have never seen a manager stand up for their team here. They do the opposite.

Employees do try to make things better here with buddy-programs and mentor programs. However, these ideas get bogged down at the planning stages as management does everything to prevent it all from happening. It is disheartening.

I am so happy to be working for a union. However, the union has no teeth. What the employees need here is something a union cannot provide. The employees need advice on how to deal with workplace bullies and poor management. There are conflicting information about who to contact about bullying and it is buried on their sharepoint site, and they have given themselves 6 months to figure out how to handle bullying.

I find it interesting that they teach webinars and create materials on how nurses can handle workplace bullying. They provide nurses solutions but deprive their own employees of those same
  more... solutions.  less
Pros
Fellow coworkers are super nice, work-life balance is okay, benefits are really good for a nonprofit organization thanks to the union
Cons
Bullying, passive-aggressive managers, taking the vacation-time or sick time you are given is frowned upon
SENIOR RECRUITER CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMay 29, 2014
A place that promotes a health/work life balance. Has good health benefits.
A Place Where Leaders Have Failed - A Horrible Place to Work - AVOID
Exempt-Level Employee (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 9, 2015
This is the worst organization I have ever worked for. A culture of fear, intimidation, and bullying exists at the ANA enterprise (ANA/ANCC/ANF). I am amazed at the extremely high turnover. For example, Human Resources should have six full-time employees. Five of six have resigned in the last three months. Only one HR employee remains. Incredibly, this is only one of three times that all or the majority of the entire HR staff has turned over in three years. The "new" HR director left after two months. She resigned on a Wednesday and made Thursday her last day. Why would an entire team of HR professionals leave in less than three months?

Team leads regularly belittle, bully, and otherwise mistreat their employees. The Chief Executives and Vice Presidents have locked themselves in private offices and placed all of the professional employees and support staff in fishbowls. They convinced the Board that they needed 1.98 million to remodel offices that were less than 10 years old and perfectly fine. Now employees can't hear themselves think and people are sick, because workers are essentially on top of each other.

I saw an employee sobbing from the depths of her soul at a union meaning describing the bullying she had received at the hands of her manager for more than 7 months! Two employees in one department ended up in the same emergency on a Friday due to illness from workplace stress! She was asked to work even when sick the next week. Then her previously scheduled vacation cancelled. The manager has no problem cancelling previously approved vacation, even though
  more... his vacation is "sacred" and all work is scheduled around his vacation.

I've witnessed a lot of workplace bullying. The Board of Directors is shielded from the information they need to make informed decisions about the Chief Executives, Vice Presidents, Directors, and Assistant Directors. Some of the leaders are ashamed and want change, but they are not empowered to report the lack of morality and unethical practices of members of the executive leadership team. If this place is not already under investigation from the EEOC, I'm sure it will be. They "pay off" employees by paying cash for settlements following union mediation. However, who wants to have to go through all of that! Don't pay me off to make me whole, just treat me right in the first place!

If you are not desperate, avoid joining this organization at all costs. If you are a good person who cares about people, your heart will be grieved on a daily basis working here. The turnover exceeds 50% for the last 2-year period, despite the great location, decent pay, and good benefits. If this review helps one person, then it was worth it to post it.

Paying me six figures is not enough to go on in this organization. I have a conscience and a soul. I don't want to see people mistreated. Being powerless to change it in my non-managerial role has been painful. I have to get out of here!
Pros
Good Location
Cons
Bullying, Humiliation, Disrespect
Horrible Horrible Horrible place to work.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 4, 2015
American Nurses Association is possibly the most horrible place to work in the world. The CEO is not a nice person she only cares about herself and is raving lunatic. The Chief of Staff has no clue what she is doing, I never understood why she was hired for the position when the organization she was executive direct of made no money and had to be shut down while she was the ED. She doesn't speak to the association staff members, she will literally walk pass someone and not speak. You're an executive, you lead by example but all they have are bad habits.

The organization states that it is against bullying but that is pretty much all that the senior executive do is bully their staff. If you are looking for fair pay for what you do you will have to fight tooth and nail for your pay. Staff members who do the work are not appreciated but the employees with bad habits and work ethics are loved and promoted. Most of the staffer there have been there for years and stay because the don't have the skills need outside of the organization. If being paid low wages and having no private life are what your looking work ANA is the prefect place for you. Especially if you work in the confidential suite.
Pros
There's nothing good about the organization.
Cons
You will have no work life balance.
The American Nurses Association (ANA) represents America's registered nurses (RNs). ... Practice / Professional Standards; Nursing Quality; Ethics
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 29, 2014
Working with this association as an Executive Assistant provided numerous opportunities to support the executive leadership as standards, guidelines and principles were proposed and initiated for RNs within the medical field. Each day, Monday through Friday, provided an opportunity to learn in detail the medical practices/procedures needed to support nursing excellence for the public.

The profession often demanded overtime when preparing documentation, travel and meeting materials for the yearly meeting known as the House of Delegates. Long days and work demands were always offset between co-workers and leadership with support, patience and moments for laughter.
Pros
Travel opportunities, on-hand medical staff for personal questions, medical field knowledge
Cons
Family health circumstances dictated my departure
Great workplace to grow
Marketing Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 23, 2014
Each day was different and exciting. I learned a lot from the Assistant Director of Marketing. She was not a micro manager and allowed me to take on major marketing campaigns and try new things.

My co-workers were fun and I learned a lot from them. The hardest part of the job was leaving when my consulting contract was up. The most enjoyable part of the job was creating new and innovative promotional campaigns.
Easy going atmosphere.
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 4, 2015
Easy going atmosphere. Good work-life balance. Lots of restructuring going on, evident within a few days of being a staff member.
Fabulous colleagues, ghastly management
Senior Editor, Measurement Services (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMay 3, 2015
This organization is in serious need of top-down overhaul. A quick check of employee reviews on GlassDoor or Indeed would have kept me from a great deal of unnecessary anguish.
Pros
opportunity to work with and among nurses
Cons
Top management that Talks the Talk without Walking the Walk
N/a
Student Member (Former Employee) –  USAOctober 25, 2012
I was asked to review the American Nurses Association, This is a membership, not an employer so I will write about a position I held at a senior living facility.
At Benchmark Senior Living, I learned that I want to work with the geriatric population. I was not yet in school for nursing when I had this job, but my memory of this community inspired me through the rigorous accelerated BSN program that I completed.
The company was managed very well, with open communication about any positive and negative issues that needed to be tended to within the community and the employees. My co-workers were very team oriented with the focus on maintaining a peaceful and stimulating environment for the residents.
The hardest part of my job was handling maintenance concerns with the family members, because I acted as a messenger, which was difficult at times when the Maintenance team was unavailable. I learned to remain calm when a family member was upset, and to listen to them and let them know that their request will be taken care of as soon as possible.
Pros
open communication, positive feedback, inexpensive meal options
Cons
low staff of maintenance and kitchen
Extremely unhealthy environment with Terrible Leadership
Hard Unappreciated Worker (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 11, 2015
After working for over 7 small and large companies, this is by far the absolute worst company I have ever worked for. If you are considering employment here, RE-CONSIDER. The problem is at the Senior Leadership level and due to their lack of self-reflection, what could be an excellent company that actually does produce great product, is instead a low morale, bullying environment with no room for growth. Managers actually complain when they learn that their employee is attempting to transfer to another department. For this to be an organization with current and former Nurses, the character that these people possess is shocking and appalling. Management and Leadership show no respect to their employees, no appreciation whatsoever for hard work and great production and there is a huge issue with work-life balance.

If you are a person with good character and great moral fiber, this is not the company you need to work for. It will suck you in and change you because it’s an adapt to survive environment. The office politics affect growth and morale of employees. Leadership puts on a facade to cover up results of constant employee surveys with awful results that are screaming for change. Surveys are instead ignored and blame is placed in the wrong direction even though the results always reflect Leadership issues and complaints. There is very underhanded, deceitful actions taken out on employees if Leadership feels they are not 'tough enough' to make it amongst them. The CEO and COO at this company are awful, mean spirited women with huge ego and power trips that abuse
  more... their authority to the fullest. If the Association Members, Board Members and President of this association REALLY knew what went on and how the vast majority of employees felt, they would've completely wiped out the Leadership team and brought in more qualified people with integrity and good souls that were actually interested in creating an innovative, friendly and impactful environment. The turnover is atrocious for such a small association. There is a minimum of 4 resignations per month, at an organization with 240 employees (You look at those statistics and tell me this place isn’t screaming for change). The department that is built to be the employee’s voice is instead stifled by Executive Leaderships inability to acknowledge responsibility and authorize the change needed/requested and actually reprimand Management when complaints are made. When bullying is brought to Leaderships attention constantly, and it is brushed under the table due to the politics of an individuals title or their work contribution to the association, that is appalling and extremely disappointing and absolutely warrants the lawsuits and reports to the EEOC that they receive. Instead the department structured to help the employee’s is where the employees direct their frustrations and anger out of lack of knowledge of who is really the core of the Associations problems.

I am ecstatic to be leaving this organization soon and feel sorry for the Nursing community to have such a terribly managed association, led by mean spirited and low character Executives, representing them. For the sake of what this association was originally created for and truly should stand for, I do hope that it experiences significant Management changes in the very near future.

(P.S. If you see ANY favorable comments made about this Association, it is a 1,000,000% probability that a member of the Leadership team wrote it. They are GREAT at trying to paint that false reality that “All is well and change is occurring”)
Pros
Week off during Christmas
Cons
Horrible Management, Bullying, no work life balance
Great Place to Work
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJuly 15, 2015
ANA is a very great place to work. The HR team is great. Supporting the company was very fulfilling to me because I agreed with their values and the company's belief system.
Poor work culture
Admin. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver SpringApril 25, 2013
This association has high turnover due to poor management and poor employee/management relations.
Pros
week off for christmas
Cons
poor employee/management relations
I am proud to be a member of the ANA!
Member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2015
The American Nursing Association is not just a club it is a culture of nursing students/nurse that have been where you've gone & are about to go. Great for networking!
Excellent place to work
Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMay 20, 2014
The people are great to work with, management treats everyone equally

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Nurses Association, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8