American Products, Inc. (API) Employee Reviews

Great Product Good People
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 20, 2017
Great products and very good people at API. The company continues to grow with an ever expanding product base in a specialty industry that is extremely competitive. The company will help in technical training and you will continue to learn as the company grows. Although the days are long, they do fly by as you are extremely busy. Building relationships in the industry and hearing positive feedback on the quality of product is rewarding. If you are loyal and work hard you will be rewarded.
Pros
Free Lunchs, Pot Lucks
Cons
Long days
Great company to work for.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  OldsmarJuly 12, 2017
I have been working at American Products for several years. I can honestly say I love coming to work every day. The days fly by because we are so busy. I am constantly challenged to think outside of the box on things like learning new products, improving current procedures, improving communications, etc. There is definitely always something to learn here and I am happy to say that my coworkers are always here to help! The company culture is casual but busy. We wear jeans and someone is always brining in goodies to eat. There are many employees that have been with the company for years as well as some newer employees. The hardest part of the job includes: 1. The very fast pace of the jobs because our customers short construction schedules 2. There is always something to learn (most jobs we supply are not exactly the same so there are always exceptions to what you just learned - you must really stay on your toes). Everyone, including management, work really well together and help each other. The owners are very hands on and I think this is a good thing. They roll up their sleeves and work right along with all of us. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job is working with great coworkers and owners.
Pros
Great coworkers, stable company, great owners, you can wear jeans
Cons
Very busy, big learning curve
Great Culture
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLJune 14, 2017
I enjoy coming to work everyday which is a huge thing for me since most of my time is spent in the workplace. Everyone is very professional and warming. The days go by super fast so I am never looking at the clock wondering when it will be time to go home. It is a place where I do not see myself becoming stagnant. There is opportunity to learn and grow. It is also a place where I can be challenged in my daily activities which never gets boring. There is always more to learn which I love.
Pros
Being able to work OT and the culture
Cons
the distance of the drive to and from work with no alternate routes
Great company and great coworkers!
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 29, 2017
I love my job at American Products. I also love working with all of my fellow coworkers as well as management. They are a fantastic group of people. Due to the size of the company, you are able to work with many different people in many different departments almost daily. Because of the fast nature of our business, and our important retail customers, you must enjoy multi-tasking on a daily basis. You also must be very accurate and organized as well. I go home every day with a sense of accomplishment knowing that I contribute to the success of a company that provides a high quality product to many of the largest retailers in the country. I can honestly say I am proud to work for API.
Pros
Love the people I work with and the work I do!
Cons
API is a very busy place to work! That is not for everyone.
Worst Job Ever - Grim workplace
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 26, 2017
Read your offer letter carefully. You are not making what you think. They make it look like your salary is one thing, but it's based on a 45 hour work week with OT included. You like most others will probably be shocked when you receive your first check. But hey, you get to leave early on Friday's 5pm. As if that's really a perk.
Even if you are salaried employee, you will be punching a time clock. If you work less than 8 hours in a day, but over 40 in a week. On the day you worked less than 8 you will have to use PTO to make up your time.
The owner and his wife are cruel, evil, arrogant people with no soul. I'm not even sure they know the meaning of the word truth. Everything they say is a lie. The owner's office designed like a replica the Oval office. Walks around talking about how big his house is, all his exotic cars while paying way below the salary average for the area. You will never get a raise unless you threaten to quit.
They interview no less than 5 people a day as the office is constantly turning over. The interview process is a joke. Make sure to plan for a whole day. They have no value for other people's time and it only gets worse if you decide to accept their offer.
The owner's wife will buy donuts, leave them overnight in her office and then offer them to the staff a day or two later. She will act as if offering 2 day old donuts is above and beyond generous.
The only good thing is the employees are bonded together on a mutual hatred of ownership.
Pros
You can dress casually - jeans
Cons
Too many to list.
Great company to work for!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 19, 2017
I have worked for API and their sister companies for over 10 years, and look forward to coming to my job every day. As with any place of employment, there will always be pros and cons - that is the nature of the world in which each of us live in today. Yes, there is stress at API just as there is in all of our individual lives and/or other places of employment. However, at API, we work in a very positive, thriving, team-oriented atmosphere - all working together to accomplish the many tasks before us that help achieve the bottom line - continued growth for the company and for ourselves. We are allowed to take ownership of the work before us and allowed to explore other opportunities within to also help us broaden our knowledge of our products and systems provided to our vast customer base. We are respected and appreciated for our contributions as a person, as an employee at API. Our efforts are often rewarded by API’s ownership and management. Join us and see for yourself!
Pros
Excellent company to work for.
Cons
There are always cons; however, at API the pros outweigh the cons.
Innovative, Fast Past and Very Challenging
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 18, 2017
This is a very challenging work environment and industry. It takes a driven, self-motivated person to be successful. Company rewards employees for longevity and performance. Nothing comes easy, day in and day out you have to bring it. You have to be flexible, each day you could be asked to do something else. People have to wear many hats. This industry and company definitely isn't for anybody. It takes a special person to be successful here.
Pros
Great product and Great Team...
Cons
You have to sacrifice some free time and put in the hours to be successful here
Enjoyable & Challenging Place to Work
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 18, 2017
API has a fun, friendly atmosphere but I also feel challenged (which was something I was looking for). The other employees are very helpful and friendly. The managers and owners are personable and very involved in the company. I enjoy what I'm doing and am constantly learning new things. Definitely recommend!
Pros
Free lunches, Pay rate, Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Healthcare, Long hours
Challenging and Rewarding
Production (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 18, 2017
If you want to be more than just a number and have a strong, positive impact for your company, this is exactly the type of company you choose to work for. I have been here over 10 years and I continue to be challenged with what we can do and how we do it. As a company we make it happen.
Fun job
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 18, 2017
I've been with API for 10 years, and the best thing about the company is the loyalty of the Management to their employees. They create a positive, encouraging environment, and are always open to listening to new ideas. Its super-fast paced once you are trained, which keeps the job fun and always changing. As the business is so unique, it is a slow start to training. But once it all starts to click, the pace really picks up and you get to start working on fun projects.
Pros
Unique positions, Great Management, Fast Pace, Fun, Rewarding
Great company to work for
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 17, 2017
I have been with this company for 14 years and enjoy working here. I will continue to be a loyal and dedicated employee as I have always been shown appreciation and respect.
Cons
Not all employees are in the same building because of multiple buildings in the office park.
Unprofessional, not recommended
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLDecember 22, 2016
Your day to day activities will most likely not involve anything you were hired to do. I learned this immediately after hire and saw many others experience the same. The management is stagnant, self serving, and lacks the depth and experience to be successful. Your co-workers will be shells of their former selves and lack conscience. The most difficult part of the job is not the work for the politics are exhausting and take up a lot of time leaving little to spend on whatever you job requires.
Pros
They provide coffee pots and supplies
Cons
Lack of kindness, integrity, humanity
Poor management!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  York, PADecember 15, 2016
They do not care about their employees. Supervisors are allowed to treat employees how they want to. Not all of them were bad but some. Anytime I would talk to a manager or hr person my business was all over the company. I worked my butt of crazy over time and all and they did not care. No appreciation
Pros
They do give lunches at times
Cons
no raises
All the reviews are right
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLOctober 13, 2016
I'm not wasting too much time on my review as this was by far the most backwards company ever, they do not have their stuff together at all.
Fasle Promises
Welder (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 24, 2016
Took a pay cut thinking the work would be inside and easy. Come to find out there was no work for the job I was hired for. So instead they had me doing task I am not familiar with and out outside in the Florida summer sun. Some office guy raised his voice at me because I left his door open and was letting the AC out. Basically either ask for ridiculous high pay and deal with the job duties or ignore their ads completely.
Don't waste your time!!!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 2, 2016
No respect for employees or their time! Interview process is a waste and once they finally do hire you, you're ready to quit in two days! Constant turnover and snotty management! If you have a brain you're over qualified to work with these people! Trust me - run and run fast - don't waste your time!
Cons
This place takes your knowledge then fires you
Manager (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLAugust 24, 2016
This place will hire you get what knowledge you know about shipping, manufacturing, powder coating, etc. Then let you go. They have ads up on every website you can think of every week. They have the worst turn around i have ever seen in a company. Oh and they will hire you letting you believe your a manager, your not your just slightly and i mean slightly paid better than a worker doing all the same duties as your employees because they continuosly let people go. You manage nothing. Do not work here run.
Cons
Management is degrading of lower employees
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 2, 2016
This was the worst place to work. The controller of API was nice to your face but not behind your back. Interaction with all management and owners was very uncomfortable and unfriendly. The turn around is horrific and I can't believe this company is still in business. "Take care of your employees and they will take care of your customers". If you are late or make a mistake, be prepared for a group email (with all API, Fenwall, and Florida Glass employees) pointing out your tardiness or mistake. Absolutely humiliating! If you have any self esteem, self worth, or pride, you will lose it here before you are terminated, laid off, or resign your position with this company. Save the dignity you have and run far away!
FYI- sister companies Fenwall & Florida Glass
Pros
Water fountain
Cons
Cameras invading your privacy, lack of respect and dignity.
Dont do it....
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 21, 2016
This was the most dysfunctional company I have ever worked at. They pay horrible, demand many hours, and the training sucks.
Pros
Clean
Cons
Hours, pay
Worst job I've ever had
fabrication (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 28, 2015
Don't waste your time. No on who works here even wants to. Everyone is looking for a new job. I honestly don't know of anyone working for this company for over 6 months. Management disrespects the employees daily. There is nothing positive about this place. Trust me.. DO NOT WORK HERE
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Products, Inc. (API). Our community is ready to answer.

2.8