American Psychological Association Employee Reviews in United States

Full of fun.
Front End Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 17, 2015
Great Company to work for. It's at prime location. Benefits is excellent. I joined here recently and already love the work I am doing. Good team to be with.
Temporary Agency
Operation Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2015
I worked for the agency on and off for three years. It was a good company to work for. Most of my assignments were temporary assignments, most of my administrative skills was learned through assignments.
Hard to get a hold of
Student Affiliate (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJuly 29, 2015
The APA, while being a very professional organization, like with any organization has it's hang ups. They are very hard to get a hold of and seem to change regulations regularly.
Lots of organizational dysfunction
Business Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 17, 2015
My impression of this organization (having spent 7-8 years working there) was basically...

Many of the management staff clearly climbed the "leadership ladder" (over a number of years) because more talented coworkers left the organization. It was clearly NOT because the managers generally possessed keen intellect, great leadership skills, or had any superior managerial aptitude. While I was there, a number of persons (whom I identified as fairly intelligent persons with good work ethic) got tired of the poor management, non-competitive pay, & lack of growth opportunities. Most of those persons LEFT.

The only "bright spot" was that their IT & technology staff (at that time), were fairly pleasant, cordial, & knowledgeable folks.
Academic oriented, with methodical business decision making
Supervising Video Producer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 11, 2015
APA is an academic oriented non profit that serves psychology professionals and students. Because much of the staff that works at APA has PhD level education and value research highly, the pace at which some business decisions are made, involving innovation, is slow. However, everyone for the most part is exceptionally nice and approachable. APA has health and wellness incentive programs that encourages the employees to socialize, have fun, and stay fit.
Pros
friendly, smart people
Cons
stiff rules and regulations (cannot wear jeans)
productive and healthy work place with work out classes
Application Developer, Data Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2015
The hardest part was no mentor when I started and had to learn everything on my own.
The management in my team is not the way that it supposed to be in.
Most of the co-worker in ITS are middle-age and above not young vibes at all.
Enjoyable work experience
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 1, 2014
Worked with a diverse group of staff and thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.

Learned to manage staff and provide resolutions to customer issues. Honed my customer service skills here to perfection dealing with a variety of issues and people.
Very Productive workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 11, 2014
Once arriving at work I would setup all necessary machines to carry out the day work. Such as Xerox machines, mailing machines, etc. I was able to work well with management and my co-workers. I find that the hardest part of my job was leaving it behind when I had to retire on disability. The most enjoyable part was that my job allowed me to use my brain to put conferences together without others input and that I was not just a secretary.
Pros
giving me room to grow in my job
Cons
there were none
Organization has no advancement opportunities
Communications Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 17, 2014
A typical day at work included rules or guidelines changing daily. Rules applied to some, but not to all. The co-workers were accommodating. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the constant changing of rules and departmental procedures. The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the workday.
The private office
Administrator, Payroll (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 28, 2014
The American Psychological Association (APA) is the largest scientific and professional organization of psychologists in the United States and Canada. It is the world's largest association of psychologists with around 137,000 members including scientists, educators, clinicians, consultants and students. The APA has an annual budget of around $115m. There are 54 divisions of the APA—interest groups covering different subspecialties of psychology or topical areas.

Want to know more about American Psychological Association?

Ask a question
Psychology at it's best.
Mail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2014
Overall I admire the diversity and freedom that it lends on an ethical level.
Pros
variety of cultural exposure.
Cons
limited growth without documented certification.
Great place to grow
Membership Development (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2013
This was a fun organization to work for. A typical day consisted of daily meetings, preparing marketing pieces for the annual convention, and working with managers and internal stakeholders directly from across the organization. I really enjoyed our group outings and the chance to be a part of a team, not just a job.
Pros
very diverse
Cons
hard commute
Employees Valued
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2013
APA is a great place to work. They have a great work culture and truely value their employees. They continuously try to enhance the work place environment and benefits. APA also has a great appreciation for diversity.
Nice workplace with good work life balance
Applications Architect (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 21, 2013
APA is a decent workplace with a lot of emphasis on work life balance. The organization is quite mature with well established policies and procedures. IT is a modest size division lead by a very smart CIO. The organization is embarking on some interesting initiatives to strengthen APA's relavance to the community.
Pros
emphasis on health and work life balance
Excellent place to work where employees are treated well
Intern in the Office of Continuing Education (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2013
I moved to Washington D.C. in August of 2012 for an internship with the American Psychological Association (APA) in the Continuing Education (CE) Department. This was a three month internship which ended on December 21, 2012. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and feel that it helped to sharpen my written and oral communication skills. I was in charge of reviewing new textbooks and creating summaries and questionnaires for the Education Department for current Psychologists and Psychiatrists seeking CE credits. These tests were written daily while I was also managing and juggling several other tasks. One of these tasks was to compile a list of all fifty states with their requirements concerning CE Credits. Among other tasks, I was also in charge of handling all phone calls, emails and faxes in and out of the CE Department. The APA hosts seminars and workshops twice a month for members, and while interning, I was in charge of setting up hotel reservations, setting up rooms for guests and speakers, and making travel arrangements. I feel that I learned a lot from this internship and would love an opportunity to further my career with a new and exciting company.
Pros
caring employees, great company
Cons
not an opportunity for advancement after internship was over
Apa
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2012
Great place to work. You have a wonderful work/life balance no stress at the job.
Pros
tituton
Great place to work and learn
Exec Asst (Former Employee) –  Washington, dcMarch 5, 2012
I loved working for the company. I had such a great learning experience with travel, sponsorship, and education through both depts that shared me as an admin. My bosses were tremendously appreciative of me and the intuitiveness and willingness to learn that i brought to the dept.
Pros
traveling experiences
Cons
n/a
Great Work Life Balance
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 27, 2012
APA is a solid organization. It was my first job out of college. I learned a lot about organizations that are promoting education for unrepresented populations. Intelligence is valued.