American Psychological Association Employee Reviews

Nice workplace.
Senior Mail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 7, 2017
Nice place to work. A very good organization to work for. Really enjoyed being a part of the organization. I worked with some great people at APA. A great place to work.
Pros
Hour lunch
Non-profit with compensation problems
Manager of Marketing & Sales/Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2017
It was a great early-career stepping stone and I learned a great deal about how to negotiate a position between multiple departments. Their publication department has strong content but isn't willing to invest in analytical marketing.
Healthy Place to work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 29, 2017
This company has good benefits for employees including 2 on site gyms, seated upper back massages, exercise classes and more. The gyms are free and the classes are offered at a discounted rate.
Play games
Cash Receipt Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 28, 2017
A typical day at American Psychological Association was very busy
for me i was a cash receipt technical ,service center would bring me
batches of work for me to processed. What i learned most is how the finance department runs. The work place was good. The hardest
part of my job was the different soft ware i taught my self. I enjoy
my co-workers, i liked my work. Over all i liked working for APA.
Management was sometimes unfair they had their picks.
Pros
Somtimes
Cons
Short breaks somes
Beware of this place
Public Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2017
The EMT is composed of whites and jews with little diversity in management. Most of the "diverse" staff are in low end roles as administrative assistants or mail room clerks. They have a "pay scale" where you must provide deficiencies so employees are not given annual pay increases. I was there for 11 years and they should have been cited for EEO violations
Pros
Great health care
Cons
Bad people
Forging Ahead to Fulfill our Mission
Manager, Books & Special Sales (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 30, 2015
It is fantastic to be able to literally help improve people's lives and/or piece of mind through the sale of the highest-quality books in clinical and research psychology and children's psychology. Our new partnership with the Children's Cancer Network about the backlist APA title "Living With Childhood Cancer" means that every new parent that uses their service will receive a free copy of a book that will help them through their difficult journey. Being able to be a part of that has been fantastic.
Full of fun.
Front End Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 17, 2015
Great Company to work for. It's at prime location. Benefits is excellent. I joined here recently and already love the work I am doing. Good team to be with.
Temporary Agency
Operation Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2015
I worked for the agency on and off for three years. It was a good company to work for. Most of my assignments were temporary assignments, most of my administrative skills was learned through assignments.
Hard to get a hold of
Student Affiliate (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJuly 29, 2015
The APA, while being a very professional organization, like with any organization has it's hang ups. They are very hard to get a hold of and seem to change regulations regularly.
Lots of organizational dysfunction
Business Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 17, 2015
My impression of this organization (having spent 7-8 years working there) was basically...

Many of the management staff clearly climbed the "leadership ladder" (over a number of years) because more talented coworkers left the organization. It was clearly NOT because the managers generally possessed keen intellect, great leadership skills, or had any superior managerial aptitude. While I was there, a number of persons (whom I identified as fairly intelligent persons with good work ethic) got tired of the poor management, non-competitive pay, & lack of growth opportunities. Most of those persons LEFT.

The only "bright spot" was that their IT & technology staff (at that time), were fairly pleasant, cordial, & knowledgeable folks.

Want to know more about American Psychological Association?

Ask a question
Academic oriented, with methodical business decision making
Supervising Video Producer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 11, 2015
APA is an academic oriented non profit that serves psychology professionals and students. Because much of the staff that works at APA has PhD level education and value research highly, the pace at which some business decisions are made, involving innovation, is slow. However, everyone for the most part is exceptionally nice and approachable. APA has health and wellness incentive programs that encourages the employees to socialize, have fun, and stay fit.
Pros
Friendly, smart people
Cons
Stiff rules and regulations (cannot wear jeans)
productive and healthy work place with work out classes
Application Developer, Data Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2015
The hardest part was no mentor when I started and had to learn everything on my own.
The management in my team is not the way that it supposed to be in.
Most of the co-worker in ITS are middle-age and above not young vibes at all.
Enjoyable work experience
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 1, 2014
Worked with a diverse group of staff and thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.

Learned to manage staff and provide resolutions to customer issues. Honed my customer service skills here to perfection dealing with a variety of issues and people.
Very Productive workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 11, 2014
Once arriving at work I would setup all necessary machines to carry out the day work. Such as Xerox machines, mailing machines, etc. I was able to work well with management and my co-workers. I find that the hardest part of my job was leaving it behind when I had to retire on disability. The most enjoyable part was that my job allowed me to use my brain to put conferences together without others input and that I was not just a secretary.
Pros
Giving me room to grow in my job
Cons
there were none
Organization has no advancement opportunities
Communications Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 17, 2014
A typical day at work included rules or guidelines changing daily. Rules applied to some, but not to all. The co-workers were accommodating. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the constant changing of rules and departmental procedures. The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the workday.
The private office
Administrator, Payroll (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 28, 2014
The American Psychological Association (APA) is the largest scientific and professional organization of psychologists in the United States and Canada. It is the world's largest association of psychologists with around 137,000 members including scientists, educators, clinicians, consultants and students. The APA has an annual budget of around $115m. There are 54 divisions of the APA—interest groups covering different subspecialties of psychology or topical areas.
Psychology at it's best.
Mail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2014
Overall I admire the diversity and freedom that it lends on an ethical level.
Pros
Variety of cultural exposure.
Cons
Limited growth without documented certification.
Great place to grow
Membership Development (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2013
This was a fun organization to work for. A typical day consisted of daily meetings, preparing marketing pieces for the annual convention, and working with managers and internal stakeholders directly from across the organization. I really enjoyed our group outings and the chance to be a part of a team, not just a job.
Pros
Very Diverse
Cons
Hard commute
Employees Valued
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2013
APA is a great place to work. They have a great work culture and truely value their employees. They continuously try to enhance the work place environment and benefits. APA also has a great appreciation for diversity.
Nice workplace with good work life balance
Applications Architect (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 21, 2013

APA is a decent workplace with a lot of emphasis on work life balance. The organization is quite mature with well established policies and procedures. IT is a modest size division lead by a very smart CIO. The organization is embarking on some interesting initiatives to strengthen APA's relavance to the community.
Pros
Emphasis on health and work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Psychological Association. Our community is ready to answer.

American Psychological Association Reviews by Location