American Public University System Employee Reviews

Depends on the department you work in
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, WVMay 24, 2016
Working for American Public University system will be great as long as you stay away from the financial aid department. The departments within APUS are managed quite differently. In enrollment management for instance you will find wonderful managers, senior managers and directors. The executive team is top notch. However, the financial aid department is one of the worst places I have ever worked in a long career which is why it will be easiest department to get a job. Once people are hired there and understand the culture and environment in that department they immediately begin looking to transfer out of the department or leave you organization alltogether.
Pros
Depends on where you work at APUS
Cons
Stay away from financial aid department
Good Company
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVMay 20, 2016
Good company to work for if you value your time. work from home option after some time. Good management. Good people to work with.
Work/Life balance is possible
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  IdahoMarch 17, 2016
APUS offers affordable and accessible education.As an adjunct, you are able to set your own hours and connect with students daily at any time.
Interviewed and waited forever to hear back
program director (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 1, 2015
I interviewed for a management position with this company and waited a full month before contacting HR to inquire about the position. After several emails and a few phone calls, I finally forced an email out of them saying they found someone else for the position. Who interviews the top five candidates and then waits over a month to make a decision? In the interview I was told a decision would be made within one week. In an email following that week, I was told two weeks. Finally more than four weeks later I had my response.

This institution seemed very unorganized and unprepared to make decisions and communicate them in a timely manner.

I was very disappointed to receive the news that I did not get this position, however at the same time, I can't help but think this may not have been the kind of place that I would enjoy working for.
Pros
nice people
Cons
lack of communication
productive and fun place to work
Call Center Analyst/Student Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVNovember 30, 2015
APUS is Employee and student focused with an understanding of the needs of both; A great company to work for. Excellent benefits.
Excellent school
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  OnlineOctober 7, 2015
APUS/AMU is an excellent working environment. The pay is okay, but no increase since 2011. The administration works hard to provide all professional development and tools for instructors.
Fantastic Work Environment & Company
Record Verification Analyst (Current Employee) –  ManassasOctober 5, 2015
I started with this comapny back when I was 18 and fresh out of high school. I have always been thankful they took a chance on me and hired me with little experience. From that point I have taken advantage of all the opportunities they have given to me. Between promotions and the benefits offered they have been nothing short of an amazing company to work for and treated me fantastic.
Admissions Representaive
Sr. Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVSeptember 9, 2015
Great Organization to work for. Great opportunities such as working from home and employee culture. I wish there was more room for advancement but overall you learn a lot and the managers are willing to help you succeed.
Pay is higher for the area with minimal experience but with a cost
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Charles TownAugust 19, 2015
Impressive campus in Charles Town, WV and a mixed bag of departments and a diverse population of employee's. It looks pretty but on the inside it's not such. Bad experience with inexperienced managers who have less education than the employee's and are probably lucky they have a job. Nepotism and favoritism are rampant. There are mixed reactions from employee's about working there depending on who you talk to. It's impressive when you walk in and there are amenities to work/life such as telecommuting from home and free coffee in the break room. Aside from this, you are constantly watched and monitored by staff. You get the inside look of what kind of online university it is and it is all about making a profit.

Aside from that, if you have no soul then you will enjoy working there for the man.
Pros
Good Pay for the area with minimal experience required.
Cons
Insecurity and nepotism culture which is encouraged.
Great Benefits
IT SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVAugust 7, 2015
APUS offers a great amount of benefits to its employees. I believe APUS is a good company that is looking to move in the right direction, there are just some challenges with Management; specifically in IT.
Wonderful Telecommuting Opportunities
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 23, 2015
American Public University Systems is a wonderful place to work. The compensation in dollar signs is mediocre, however they do offer among other benefits tuition free school within University.
Overall A Good Place to Work
Transfer Credit Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAMay 14, 2015
I like the flexibility to make your own schedule, as well as the fact that we can work from home. The people are nice as well.
Variety
Professor (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVFebruary 17, 2015
Each day brings a new adventure with in the life of teaching. From smiles to laughter. Learning along side the students is a dream career.
Pros
learning
Cons
always working
A nice place to work
Director of Financial Reporting and Research (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVJanuary 28, 2015
I enjoy working at APUS. I has been a great place to work for my career advancement.

APUS has a good office environment and is always changing to become better.
Productive and great work environment
Records Administrator (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAOctober 15, 2014
- Recorded and reviewed various documents for accuracy pertaining to Loan Closings
- Accurately updated and maintained customer records to include proprietary information
- Performed title examinations in multiple counties in Northern Virginia. Recorded various documents pertaining to loan closings and real estate acquisitions in the appropriate counties
- Trained and competent in all aspects of mortgage and loan origination, payment schedules, fees, interest, and other pertinent policies
- Responding appropriately to customers who have special communication needs such as language barriers, or disabilities
Pros
stable work and document research in various courthouses
Cons
housing market not reliable
first job at a college
Public Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VASeptember 6, 2014
the most enjoyable part of the job was graduation day seeing the students get their degrees.
Pros
lots of career advancement
Cons
laid off
Good Place TO work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVSeptember 2, 2014
Good place to work, great benefits and a very friendly atmosphere.
Excellent company with a clear goal to serve military and online students
Team Manager, Academic Advising (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 18, 2014
Easy going environment, flexible scheduling, strong managers, and regular team building activities/events
great team of management and co-workers
Senior Student Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, WVJuly 15, 2014
APUS provides a great atmosphere for employees in the Enrollment Management Department, only under the rule of Terry Grant. What a wonderful boss to work for. She truly cares about each and every employee whom she knows by first name.

It was difficult to leave such an incredible leader however the university does not enable her to pay employees well enough to keep them.
Cons
poor pay, little growth opportunity
I love working for American Public University System!
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVDecember 30, 2013
American Public University System is an excellent company to work for. The work is steady, but not overwhelming where you feel burnt out and exhausted. Actually, I am looking forward to a full-time position with the organization.

American Public University System Reviews by Location