American Public University System

American Public University System Employee Reviews

Overall A Good Place to Work
Transfer Credit Evaluator (Current Employee), Manassas, VAMay 14, 2015
I like the flexibility to make your own schedule, as well as the fact that we can work from home. The people are nice as well.
Variety
Professor (Current Employee), Charles Town, WVFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: learning
Cons: always working
Each day brings a new adventure with in the life of teaching. From smiles to laughter. Learning along side the students is a dream career.
A nice place to work
Director of Financial Reporting and Research (Current Employee), Charles Town, WVJanuary 28, 2015
I enjoy working at APUS. I has been a great place to work for my career advancement.

APUS has a good office environment and is always changing to become better.
Productive and great work environment
Records Administrator (Former Employee), Manassas, VAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: stable work and document research in various courthouses
Cons: housing market not reliable
- Recorded and reviewed various documents for accuracy pertaining to Loan Closings
- Accurately updated and maintained customer records to include proprietary information
- Performed title examinations in multiple counties in Northern Virginia. Recorded various documents pertaining to loan closings and real estate acquisitions in the appropriate counties
- Trained and competent in all aspects of mortgage and loan origination, payment schedules, fees, interest, and other pertinent policies
- Responding appropriately to customers who have special communication needs such as language barriers, or disabilities
first job at a college
Public Relations Manager (Current Employee), Manassas, VASeptember 6, 2014
Pros: lots of career advancement
Cons: laid off
the most enjoyable part of the job was graduation day seeing the students get their degrees.
Good Place TO work
Customer Service (Current Employee), Charles Town, WVSeptember 2, 2014
Good place to work, great benefits and a very friendly atmosphere.
Excellent company with a clear goal to serve military and online students
Team Manager, Academic Advising (Former Employee), Manassas, VAAugust 18, 2014
Easy going environment, flexible scheduling, strong managers, and regular team building activities/events
great team of management and co-workers
Senior Student Support Representative (Former Employee), Charles Town, WVJuly 15, 2014
Cons: poor pay, little growth opportunity
APUS provides a great atmosphere for employees in the Enrollment Management Department, only under the rule of Terry Grant. What a wonderful boss to work for. She truly cares about each and every employee whom she knows by first name.

It was difficult to leave such an incredible leader however the university does not enable her to pay employees well enough to keep them.
I love working for American Public University System!
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee), Charleston, WVDecember 30, 2013
American Public University System is an excellent company to work for. The work is steady, but not overwhelming where you feel burnt out and exhausted. Actually, I am looking forward to a full-time position with the organization.
Fast-paced, challenging work place.
Financial Aid Application Team Specialist (Current Employee), Charles Town, WVOctober 23, 2013
Pros: catered lunch, jeans on friday
Cons: short lunches
Review student applications for Federal Student Aid (FSA) based on FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) received. Determine eligibility based on Department of Education guidelines. Communicate information pertinent to completing my job efficiently and with in a timely manner. The most difficult part of the job is not being able to take as much time as is needed to really counsel students from start to finish to ensure they know what it means to take out financial aid and how using FSA is a wonderful tool for advancing education. The enjoyable part of my job is descalating situations such as determining issues that prevent a student from receiving FSA within small time frames prior to classes beginning.
Great place to work!
Social Communities Coordinator (Current Employee), Manassas, VASeptember 13, 2013
Pros: professional growth, free education, telecommuting, healthy living initiative
I've been working at APUS for eight months and can honestly say it's the best job I've had. I work with our students on a daily basis through social media (answering questions, providing encouragement) and feel like I'm making a real difference in their online school experience.

My management team does an excellent job of communicating company goals and strategies. I've also been given great opportunities to expand my professional skills by making presentations, learning new software, and participating in planning committees. My managers regularly provide feedback on my performance so I always know where I stand.

My co-workers are a fun group of people. We work well together and have become friends outside of the office.
A Company Culture Unlike Any Other
Manager, Social Media (Current Employee), Manassas, VASeptember 13, 2013
Pros: team atmosphere, student first mission, purpose driven, advancement opportunities
Throughout my professional career I have been searching for one thing and that is a company that will work as hard for me as I work for them. I have found that in American Public University System. The organization invests and really takes an interest in developing each employee. The company has a strong student first mission that you can truly feel from the top down. Each day you feel like you are advancing the company's vision by support students, faculty and staff to help them achieve their goals both educationally and professionally. Management truly thinks out of the box and allows employees the opportunity to experiment and try new avenues to support students. I have learned so much from working at APUS and can't wait to see what they have in store for me next.
Flexible
Adjunct Professor of Meteorology (Current Employee), Charles Town, WVSeptember 7, 2013
- work at your pace
- flexible
- very organized
- great work environment
Great pay but terrible leadership
Financial Services (Former Employee), Charles Town, WVFebruary 16, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: leadership, greed, poor customer service, and unqualified employees
This company is only worried about making a profit. The board does not seem to care about the quality of their students (a HUGE fraud population) and they hire individuals that are not qualified. This could be a wonderful company and enviornment if upper mgmt could focus on quality instead of their greed. To make things better the department is lead by an individual that cannot even operate the basic databases used to store important student and operating information.
a place of opportunity
Social Media & Content Manager (Current Employee), Manassas, VAJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: opporunity for on-job training and travel
Cons: fine line between work and personal life
It's been a roller coaster ride since I've been here, and I'm still enjoying the ride.
Management is too by the book
Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Manassas VANovember 20, 2012
Pros: free education
Cons: short breaks, management is to micro-managed, they act like they are a military/govt institute with all the "levels of management"
This is by far one of the worst micro-management companies I have ever worked for in 10 years of post-education career/jobs. The managers there act as if nothing matters but busywork and profit of the university. They may act like they care, BUT THEY DON'T CARE! Some of the people are really nice though, great enviornment for Happy Hour meetings. You do get free education, so get your masters' AND GET OUT! Pay sux, NO room to grow, and the health insurance bites! other than that... its a paycheck, not a CAREER!!!
Concerned more with money than providing quality education
Production Editor (Former Employee), Charles Town, WVOctober 29, 2012
Pros: fantastic benefits
Cons: harassment, little room for growth, very stressful work environment
Management is unprofessional and too focused on financial gain. Nepotism is rampant and harassment is expected to be overlooked. Young inexperienced staff makes the job frustrating for administration and faculty.
Generally
Senior Financial Aid Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Charles Town, WVSeptember 19, 2012
Management is too focussed on financial gain and generally do not really care about the employees. Coworkers are okay, company tends to hire those not qualified for the positions, and often times the workers are young, inexperienced, and petty.
This is an excellent adult learning institution.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Online instructionJuly 25, 2012
Pros: a dedication to academic excellence.
Cons: adjuncts may not get the volume of students they want.
APUS is dedicated to academic excellence. They provide uniform course offerings & materials, course specific library resources and guides, and exceptional faculty and student technical support.
The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting my students with their learning process.

American Public University System Salaries