American Public University System Employee Reviews

Overall great place to work
Financial Aid Representative (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, WVJuly 8, 2017
I have worked for APUS for 3 years- in several different departments. Management take their jobs seriously, and most will help you promote and work towards personal and professional goals. Some times it may seem like you are working in a call-center; however, working one-on-one with students to help them with their educational goals was rewarding to me.

Mission and Vision of the company is great, and it pretty family oriented. Working from home is encouraged within some departments; however, most managers like employees to come into the office. Over all wonderful place to work!
Pros
work from home
Cons
unpaid lunch
sustainable
Professor (Current Employee) –  Charlestowne, VAJune 7, 2017
This is a secure job. It's a lot of hard work in the department in which I work. I love my job and enjoy working with the students. I would like to be better compensated based on my merits.
Pros
online
Cons
online
Good Place to Work
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, WVApril 5, 2017
Able to meet students and receive help, as needed from administration. Faculty and student centered. Good education. Great faculty orientation with help as needed.
Worst working environment of my career
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, WVMarch 14, 2017
Management is horrible in various departments and favoritism is present. Money is good for the area and benefits are outstanding, but not worth the headache. This department has a high turnover rate (I went through two entire teams). HR took over a month to complete the hiring process. Teamwork is lacking between the various departments. I DO NOT RECOMMEND WORKING HERE!!
Benefits
Cons
BAD Management, high turnover rate, no job security or room for advancement.
Great Place
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVMarch 3, 2017
Awesome people. Shift hours are great. Very lovely place to work. Very great job. Culture is great. Great managers to work under.
Can not recommend
Military Assistance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, WVFebruary 14, 2017
The people are all okay, they do their best, and the building I worked in was clean and modern. Unfortunately the for profit college industry is just not growing so neither are the opportunities here. The pay is okay, not great, as well as the benefits.
Pros
clean building, ability to work from home
Cons
Low pay
In a state of change that does not inspire job security
Financial Aid and Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, WVJanuary 23, 2017
If you have any life/family issues that require your attention, there is a difference between what is said and what they actually want. Anything less than your full attention and you needed to be mindful of who may be reporting anything you say or do to management. It used to not be like this, but within the last year, the change in culture and job security left many people on edge.

Workplace culture when I was there was departmentally territorial from management. You needed to get to know individual people within different departments and cultivate a positive relationship that was a two-way street to often get the information you were being asked to provide to your management. Good people skills and sincerity in on-going networking within departments a necessity.

Hardest part of job: lack of true cooperation and teamwork within different departments who had the same goals.

Most enjoyable part of job: as someone who is a team driven person, it was great to work with others who felt the same way. We had our workplace fun so there was a collective chance to laugh at ourselves
Benefits
Cons
Territorial defending departments instead of truly working collectively together
Great Place
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVOctober 19, 2016
This is a great place to work! It is a great educational provider. The culture is great. Work here. The Deans are great! As well as the students.
Depends on the department you work in
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Charles Town, WVMay 24, 2016
Working for American Public University system will be great as long as you stay away from the financial aid department. The departments within APUS are managed quite differently. In enrollment management for instance you will find wonderful managers, senior managers and directors. The executive team is top notch. However, the financial aid department is one of the worst places I have ever worked in a long career which is why it will be easiest department to get a job. Once people are hired there and understand the culture and environment in that department they immediately begin looking to transfer out of the department or leave you organization alltogether.
Pros
Depends on where you work at APUS
Cons
Stay away from financial aid department
Good Company
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVMay 20, 2016
Good company to work for if you value your time. work from home option after some time. Good management. Good people to work with.
Work/Life balance is possible
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  IdahoMarch 17, 2016
APUS offers affordable and accessible education.As an adjunct, you are able to set your own hours and connect with students daily at any time.
Interviewed and waited forever to hear back
program director (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 1, 2015
I interviewed for a management position with this company and waited a full month before contacting HR to inquire about the position. After several emails and a few phone calls, I finally forced an email out of them saying they found someone else for the position. Who interviews the top five candidates and then waits over a month to make a decision? In the interview I was told a decision would be made within one week. In an email following that week, I was told two weeks. Finally more than four weeks later I had my response.

This institution seemed very unorganized and unprepared to make decisions and communicate them in a timely manner.

I was very disappointed to receive the news that I did not get this position, however at the same time, I can't help but think this may not have been the kind of place that I would enjoy working for.
Pros
nice people
Cons
lack of communication
productive and fun place to work
Call Center Analyst/Student Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVNovember 30, 2015
APUS is Employee and student focused with an understanding of the needs of both; A great company to work for. Excellent benefits.
Good work/life balance
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 6, 2015
Strong player in an industry in the decline (for-profit education). Great tele-commuting opportunities and friendly staff.
Excellent school
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  OnlineOctober 7, 2015
APUS/AMU is an excellent working environment. The pay is okay, but no increase since 2011. The administration works hard to provide all professional development and tools for instructors.
Fantastic Work Environment & Company
Record Verification Analyst (Current Employee) –  ManassasOctober 5, 2015
I started with this comapny back when I was 18 and fresh out of high school. I have always been thankful they took a chance on me and hired me with little experience. From that point I have taken advantage of all the opportunities they have given to me. Between promotions and the benefits offered they have been nothing short of an amazing company to work for and treated me fantastic.
Admissions Representaive
Sr. Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVSeptember 9, 2015
Great Organization to work for. Great opportunities such as working from home and employee culture. I wish there was more room for advancement but overall you learn a lot and the managers are willing to help you succeed.
Pay is higher for the area with minimal experience but with a cost
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Charles TownAugust 19, 2015
Impressive campus in Charles Town, WV and a mixed bag of departments and a diverse population of employee's. It looks pretty but on the inside it's not such. Bad experience with inexperienced managers who have less education than the employee's and are probably lucky they have a job. Nepotism and favoritism are rampant. There are mixed reactions from employee's about working there depending on who you talk to. It's impressive when you walk in and there are amenities to work/life such as telecommuting from home and free coffee in the break room. Aside from this, you are constantly watched and monitored by staff. You get the inside look of what kind of online university it is and it is all about making a profit.

Aside from that, if you have no soul then you will enjoy working there for the man.
Pros
Good Pay for the area with minimal experience required.
Cons
Insecurity and nepotism culture which is encouraged.
Great Benefits
IT SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Charles Town, WVAugust 7, 2015
APUS offers a great amount of benefits to its employees. I believe APUS is a good company that is looking to move in the right direction, there are just some challenges with Management; specifically in IT.
Wonderful Telecommuting Opportunities
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 23, 2015
American Public University Systems is a wonderful place to work. The compensation in dollar signs is mediocre, however they do offer among other benefits tuition free school within University.