American Queen Steamboat Company Employee Reviews

enjoyable. good company with benefits
HOUSEKEEPING ATTENDANT AND PORTER (Former Employee) –  american empress wa usaJanuary 15, 2018
be responsible ,respectful,interesting job.nice people to work with.short good working schedule. 6 to 8 weeks on and 2 weeks off.wonderful and nice places to go
Pros
free meals
Fun to work on a vessel
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 16, 2017
I am grateful I got to work for this company. I got to travel and learn how to live onboard a boat for the first time. I am thankful this job taught enhanced my customer service skills.
most crew members are fun to work with
Relief Maître D/Head Waiter (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 6, 2017
Ship life is not for everyone. This boat was a little older and did not have the perks and accommodations that a cruise ship would have. The people are nice and it is still a great places to make vacation memories for guests.
Poor Environment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 6, 2017
The crew is constantly getting drunk and high in the crew hold, or on shore prior to shift. We had multiple accidents related to alcohol during my time there
living on a boat
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 30, 2017
the hardest thing is adjusting to living at work in a small room with a coworker you don't know for 6 weeks at a time while trying to learn the job that you applied for
Unfair treatment during training for purser positions
Purser (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 18, 2017
I have no problem with the workplace culture whatsoever. The problem started when I realized that I was expected to know already how to deal with Excel and MXP software programs. The trainer(s) began to lose patience and began proceedings to have me terminated just as I finally caught on to the overall plan of operations..
The trainers began to write me up for nitpicky reasons which I corrected on the spot. One of them admitted to the personnel director on board that they (the company) had made a mistake in hiring me in the first place since the job description never gave any requirements to have a working knowledge of those two computer programs in the first place.
Aside from having to work with a trainer who had a hidden agenda, the AQ had a great working atmosphere with genuinely good staff from the Captain all the way to engine room personnel.
It would behoove the main human resource personnel to investigate such training personnel to catch them at their own game.
In the meantime, the AQSC has lost a very good staff person who possessed all the fine qualities deemed necessary in a purser. How do I know this? Because of the praise I received from passengers and many onboard crew members. They could all see what was happening to me during my time spent in that position.
Pros
Good food, wonderful camaraderie, beautiful atmosphere
Cons
Poor on job training with little or no compassion from fellow workers.
Overall it's a good place to work you can put away money
Waiter (Current Employee) –  New Albany, INNovember 14, 2017
The upside is you don't have to spend any money for food etc. The downside is you don't get to see your family enough. The six weeks on two weeks off is okay if your single but for a family man it can be rough.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Not enough time off while working
great steamboat
Assistant Waiter (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 14, 2017
the average work day was very high paced and somewhat stressful but very rewarding due to the fantastic passengers who we as a staff were giving great customer service too. The atmosphere within the employees was upbeat and positive.
Pros
travel, meeting great passengers
No concerns
Reservations Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  New Albany, IN 47150October 31, 2017
My experience with this company has been nothing but good. also, I'm only writing this because I couldn't update my resume without doing so. I would recommend working and growing with this company.
Fun and sometime stressful, but always enjoyable.
River Boat Butler (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 20, 2017
Meeting a diverse culture of people and catering to their needs.While working as a team with my co-workers and balancing real life away from my family.
Pros
Free meals and travel/transportation.
Cons
Good healthcare, 401k, and vacation time
Don't fall for their lines...
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Columbia River GorgeOctober 19, 2017
Oh, they promise you the world. After being there for 2 seasons. I was told I would be promoted to management. Instead I was given a lot of the responsibility, but not the pay. They work you into exhaustion. Some days I worked from 5:30 in the morning until 11 pm. And don't expect to be paid fairly.
nice way to save money
Server (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 9, 2017
You eat, sleep and work on this boat. You need to be able to like communal living to do well here. You will work a lot of hours and be tired all the time, but it pays well.
Pros
free meals, free board
Cons
short breaks, over worked
horrible
Waitress (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 25, 2017
job turnover rate is horrible. managers only take job serious when there neck is on the line. upper management from hotel manager to HRC is horrible. things were better when they had men in those position.
Pros
free food
Cons
no life
great company
RESERVATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 20, 2017
they are a great company to work for, nice people , convenient, friendly,
beneficial, fun, considerate, some advancement opportunities are always available.
Great potential but lacking proper management
Second Cook Garde Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 20, 2017
No structure or accountability. Zero training, and generally minimal supervision. Employee morale is extremely low, Proper training of management and staff needs to happen soon.
Good place to make fast money
Laundry Attendant/ Delivery man (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 8, 2017
If you enjoy traveling its fun, no home life at all. Six weeks living on a boat in the Mississippi is tough. Many of the employees seems to be hiding.
Enjoyed my time there
Sr. Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INMay 1, 2017
Not much of a company culture. Never got the opportunity presented to advance my position. The HR department needs some work. I was transitioned from salary to hourly and never received anything in writing about it, only a 5 min conversation less than a week it went into effect.
great opportunity to travel
Server (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 20, 2017
very fast paced. i learned customer service. management was ok. the hardest part was the long hours. the guest was the most enjoyable part............
too much traveling
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 3, 2017
Job is good, but dont want to travel across the country to go to work.Just moved into a new house and dont want to keep leaving for long periods of time.
nice product, great instability at the top of the org chart
Entertainment Director (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 29, 2017
The job and work is a delight. No better place to be than creating product on a riverboat, but company turnover across the board was daunting. I was an executive level director for the company and in 1 year alone I reported to 4 different people ( VP's) due to terminations and resignations. Company share holders were routinely forced out, often leaving a power vacuum at the top of the org chart. I was with the company for 3 years and 4 months and when my position was eliminated, I was the longest standing executive aboard the vessel and second longest standing in the office. Massive turnover...
Pros
fantastic product
Cons
insanely high turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Queen Steamboat Company. Our community is ready to answer.

American Queen Steamboat Company Reviews by Location