American Red Cross
1,439 reviews

American Red Cross Employer Reviews

The American Red Cross is one of the best organizations that I have ever volunteerd
Blood Drive Volunteer (Former Employee), Hayward, CAJuly 29, 2014
As a volunteer I felt really appreciate by everyone that was part of every blood drive. It was an honor to volunteer at the American Red Cross.
NOT reliable!
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), BangorJuly 29, 2014
Pros: would be a great experience
Cons: no gaurantees on starting job
Quit my job to begin working for the red cross and they called me once to reschedule my start date for later and then they called a month later to tell me they put my job on hold. But yet they just posted a job opening for the position I was hired for. This isnt the first time they have done this to somebody. They gave me a job and then left me high – more... and dry....not impressed. – less
Fun place to work with great people.
Telerecruiter (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJuly 29, 2014
Pros: fun activities to win prizes.
Cons: production goals
Made 200+ outbound calls a day to previous donors to schedule an appointment. Learned all about the different blood types. Managers were great as well as the training. Very friendly co-workers. Hardest part of the job was the production goals. Enjoyable part of the job was talking to people from all over the country.
great experience, but awful place to work
BSNT (Former Employee), ConnecticutJuly 29, 2014
Cons: horrible work environment
I worked there for five years collecting blood. The management was just awful. No morale. Some coworkers were decent, but many would sabotage others. Very stressful job. Always had to watch over your back. When a new director came in, he quickly fired anyone he didn't like. He didn't care if he followed the union contract. I did learn loads about blood – more... safety and federal regulations. That part I loved. – less
Unproductive environment with major technical problems affecting productivity daily.
TeleRecruiter (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 28, 2014
Pros: knowing that you may have saved, or extended the life, of someone just by scheduling donors to donate blood.
Cons: limited, timed bathroom breaks, no job security, short lunch breaks, no job work/life balance, compensation/benefits, management.
A typical day at work involved calling donors, who had previously donated or attempted to donate blood to schedule them for another blood donation. The most enjoyable part of this job is hearing the stories and seeing the affects of blood donations, and how it is a life-saving and life-giving act.
Inefficient bureaucracy, no potential for job advancement, poorly managed
Confidential (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 25, 2014
Inefficient bureaucracy, no potential for job advancement, poorly managed, lack of mentorship, substantial infighting between departments.
Management is not honest
Manufacture Component Supervisor (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARJuly 25, 2014
Pros: great company as a whole
Cons: pay not to good for all the work and no overtime for management
It was a job not the best and it paid the bills. There are some nice people here at the Little Rock office. HR is not professional they are under staff there for all the people they have to cover.
Intake Specialist
Intake Specialist (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 24, 2014
Volunteer- Intake Specialist 2013-Present
Serve as a point of contact for prospective volunteers interested in volunteer opportunities in the Franklin County area for the American Red Cross Blood Services Central Ohio Region.
Key Accomplishments:
• Conduct basic phone screening for prospective volunteer inquiries
• Complete reference checks for volunteer – more... applicants
• Maintain volunteer records through data entry and OV file management system
• Utilize excellent verbal and written communication skills to guide volunteers through orientation process
• Worked sign in desk at blood drives. – less
Very rewarding, I loved teachng people CPR skills.
Health and Safety Director (Former Employee), Ardmore, OKJuly 23, 2014
Pros: helping others in their times of needs and teaching.
Cons: seeing the heartache people had to experience through no fault of their own doing.
Typical day a work was answering telephones, reports. I learned how to be an instructor and to teach people to be instructors. Teaching classes was awesome. My co-workers were great and really helpful. Teaching CPR, First Aid, Professional CPR, and Preventing Disease Transmission gave me a wonderful feeling knowing that I was helping people save lives – more... in an emergency. The management was awesome. We helped people in disasters such as tornadoes, fires, wildfires but the hardest part of he job was seeing the emotional trauma these people went through. But got great satisfaction when we gave them hope of the future after they had lost everything. We also helped with AFES, getting service men and women home in emergencies such as death, births, and illness. – less
Genuinely enjoyed working for this company.
Tech II, Mobile Unit Assistant (Former Employee), Cleveland, OhioJuly 23, 2014
Pros: helping save lives, pretty awesome co-workers, good company, good pay
Cons: drive a lot (but that's part of the jobl
I worked as a full time Collections I I TECH / MUA (drove, loaded, and unloaded company vehicle) for two years. I think it's one of the best companies I have ever worked for honestly. The job it self was physically demanding and the hours of the job I held were long but I was well aware of that before taking the position and the over all pay for those – more... hours were well worth it lol as the managers were upfront about the details of the job. Altho the job has a lot of lifting and sometimes complicated unloads at 5'5" & 140 lbs I handled all the work many times alone up and down stairs very well so I don't believe it's extremely complicated. You meet new people from all over NE Ohio everyday. And your helping save lives, I loved what I did No company is perfect but if i didn't leave for the Military i would have continued my employment with the American Red Cross. – less
Great learning experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Farmington, NMJuly 22, 2014
I only worked for 6 months and had to quit due to conflicting college course schedule. I was treated great and learned a lot while I was here. The American Red Cross does some amazing things for the community and I am proud to say that I worked here! I only wished it had been a lot longer.
Exciting place to work that involves assisting others register for training in First Aid, CPR, etc.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJuly 22, 2014
The most enjoyable part of this job was just meeting people and getting certified as a Babysitter Instructor.
Great Phlebotomy Experience
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MarylandJuly 21, 2014
Pros: great experience
Cons: didn't allow me to relocate and keep my tenure.
A lot of hands on experience, love training the new hires. Love traveling and meeting new people everyday.

18tieink85ncg8h6 – July 23, 2014

We appreciate your taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear you enjoyed traveling and meeting our volunteers and donors while training new hires. Unfortunately, most of our roles do not offer relocation. Still we appreciate your service with our organization!

Great for experience when you are new to medical assisting
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 20, 2014
Pros: guaranteed 40 hours a week unless you change your schedule
Cons: short breaks and hectic hours
The management and co-workers are great. The hours are very difficult to adjust to. The hardest part of the job is the schedule. The most enjoyable part is seeing people come in and give their time to save lives.
Volunteer/Later Employee
Part-Time Flex Instructor (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 20, 2014
Pros: fun teaching
Cons: driving everywhere over the state
I loved the American Red Cross as a volunteer, yet as an actual employee it because difficult. I was often asked for all over the state. I drove very long distances and the compensation didn't cover the true wear and tare of your vehicle.

18tieink85ncg8h6 – July 23, 2014

Thank you for your review. While as a nonprofit we must always be mindful of our donors' dollars, we do our best to fairly compensate our employees and provide outstanding benefits. We are always looking for ways improve in this regard and appreciate your feedback--it will be passed along to our leadership team.

reaat place to work
Clerical (Former Employee), Ashland, OHJuly 19, 2014
Answering phones, Working on computers, working with CPR instructors was great. Working with instructors
American Red Cross
Supervisor (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 19, 2014
Pros: the productive and enthusiastic staff
Cons: the non productive and unen
The Red Cross provided me the opportunity to work with some wonderful people in our blood collections department and the support the collections team had with each other as a whole is worth the experience alone.

18tieink85ncg8h6 – July 23, 2014

We appreciate your review and are so happy to hear about your positive experience working with our collections team. We could not achieve our mission without the support of our employees and volunteers. Thank you for your feedback!

Great Place to help others
Coordinator & Military Caseworker (Former Employee), San Antonio, TexasJuly 17, 2014
I loved my job at ARC. It was fulfilling and helping other brough joy.
Productive Business Workplace
Document Reviewer (Current Employee), Johnstown, PAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: excellent wages
Cons: healthcare very expensive and high co-pays, travel distance long
Arrive 6am, check email, begin review of blood donation records. Half hour unpaid lunch(optional) 15 minute break. Shift ends when the total days collection is complete. If you get overtime, you must leave early on a day when the collect is lighter. I have learned so much about federal regulations regarding the blood supply, and what an important part – more... we play. The hardest part of the job is making certain that you do not miss anything that would compromise the integrity of the blood supply. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction I get from knowing that what I do helps save lives. – less

18tieink85ncg8h6 – July 23, 2014

We appreciate your taking the time to leave a detailed review about your experience. We are thrilled that you find your work satisfying and are pleased with your compensation. We do our best to provide a competitive benefits package and are always looking for ways to improve our employee rewards, so we appreciate your feedback. The nature of our work can sometimes require long hours and much attention to detail--we could not fulfill our life-saving mission without the dedicated service of our employees and volunteers.

Collections technicion (Former Employee), SLC , UtahJuly 15, 2014
Collecting units
Screening donors

Management was hard to work with. My boss was always very friendly

Hard to get used to the Co-workers

1 2 3 4 5

About American Red Cross

The humanitarian mission of the American Red Cross connects us to people and communities across the nation and around the world. – Read more

American Red Cross Photos