American Red Cross
1,702 reviews

American Red Cross Employer Reviews

Most staff are great!
ADMINISTRATIVE (Former Employee), Manchester, NHDecember 19, 2014
Pros: blood donors and most staff.
Blood donors and staff were the best part of the job. Management unprofessional with no people skills. job work/life balance awful as only know your schedule 2 or 3 weeks ahead of time to plan dr appointments etc. Rarely have 2 days in a row. Open every day including holidays so expect to work most holidays and at least every 2 or 3 weekends. Elimination – more... of many jobs but expect 1 person to do work of 2 or 3. Poor communication. Good company as a stepping stone not for longevity as no advancement. Same gripes for all positions! – less
not a friendly place to work
PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee), La Crosse, WIDecember 18, 2014
Cons: work very hard and unappreciated by staff
I wouldnt recomend working there to anyone. I cant give it a good or long review, you are expected to get that pint of blood as fast as you can and dont wast time talking to the donors, and by the way get back to work and stop typing and get another donor and more free blood or your out of here you slacker. Thats how they make you feel and if it wasnt – more... for making good money no one would work there because most of the employees are always grumpy and unhappy and no fun to work with. – less
Volunteer
Social Services Caseworker (Current Employee), Montgomery, AlabamaDecember 15, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
This social service caseworker job is a volunteer job. I have been doing this almost two years for disaster services. I also help with the Project Sharing project where I interview the elderly and disabled for being qualified to receive assistance to pay their Alabama Power or Alagasco bill.
Work from home
Telecommunications Consultant (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 15, 2014
• Provide support for hosted VoIP service offerings (Broadsoft/Verizon)
• Provide Tier 2 and Tier 3 support to 21,000 end users
• Create documentation and submit for Toll Free numbers that were porting over to American Red Cross utilizing the RespOrg process
• Setup Business Continuity for all sites throughout the organization
• Simulate or recreate – more... user problems to resolve operational difficulties
• Conduct training on system usage
• Create and implement documentation for users – less
Productive, innovative and fast pace mission-focused environment.
Regional Chief Development Officer (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 15, 2014
Pros: great team of professionals, innovative approach to development.
Cons: being accessible 24/7 is a challenge.
Great team of professionals always willing to go the extra mile. Learned how to produce at a high level during organizational transition and how to manage a team during historic emergencies. Very fortunate to be amongst a team who are passionate about the mission.
meeting new donors, interacting with frequent donors
Collections Specialist (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 14, 2014
Pros: fast paced, packing blood componets, learning new things
Cons: sometimes hectic
going through health historys (vitals,etc), drawing blood, making copies, once in a while being watched
Great Experience
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee), Peoria, ILDecember 13, 2014
A great starting place for getting my foot into the Human Resources Field
LOVED being an Account Manager
Account Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: making a difference every single day
Cons: stress
I absolutely loved job! I left a job of 11+ years to come to the ARC and expected to retire from there, however, my mom had a stroke and I left to be her full-time caregiver. I'd go back in an instant!

Loved working with some many different groups, community organizations, businesses, churches, and schools.

It was stressful (as the blood supply is – more... always in need), but, again, I LOVED it!! – less
Disaster Team Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 10, 2014
I have just recently started volunteering with the American Red Cross. I have already participated in the installation of smoke detectors in homes of the underprivileged. This was very ensuring they would have added security in their homes in the event the alarms went off.
I have volunteered to be a part of the Disaster Alert Team in which I am still – more... achieving the necessary training. – less
Description of Work
Supplier Diversity & Inclusion Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCDecember 10, 2014
Served as the National Supplier Diversity Manager for the American Red Cross, which is the 7th largest non-profit institution in the world. Built a highly recognized Supplier Diversity Program from its inception.
Internship with Dayton Area Chapter, American Red Cross
Intern: Information Systems Support (Former Employee), Dayton, OHDecember 9, 2014
Pros: lots of learning, fulfilled degree requirement
Cons: no employment leading to career advancement, not paid, only lasted three months
Was member of the IT Support Staff and under supervision of the Network Administer. In this role I did client technology refreshes, along with connecting the refreshed workstations to the network and installing anti-virus. We also set up remote sites as part of Red Cross headquarters mission in support, configured parts of the LAN and WAN and updated – more... software (MS Office) and other third-party software such as Quicken for payroll as needed. Part of my role was to keep track of what PCs needed servicing and cleaning.
A big part of the internship was doing technology refreshes. This was one of the projects that the IT Director and Network Administrator needed accomplished - getting new workstations installed and configured onto their intranet. This included installing antivirus, making sure that software being used by Red Cross staff was the correct version, and making sure that the machines were backed-up according to the set-up schedule.
Also part of my internship was doling MS Office End-User Training. I developed and conducted an advanced training class for Red Cross Staff using MS Access and Excel in order to meet specific project requests from various departments in the chapter. As part of the support role I explained the difference between linking and embedding, showed how to use Power Point in a more efficient manner, and showed staff how to do basic maintenance when a document becomes corrupted.
Also in the internship was End-User Support. Part of my role was to provide immediate support to Red Cross staff by providing user support in a prompt manner when needed. I helped staff by answering their inquiries and researching answers for the staff as needed. – less
Great organization to be working for.
Nurse Evaluator/Educator (Current Employee), Harrisburg, PADecember 9, 2014
Pros: autonomy
Cons: pay a bit on the lower scale
Excellent experience for state testing and to use regular practice! The environment is very conducive to learning and advancement.
I like to work with people.
Team Supervisor (Current Employee), Greenville, NCDecember 9, 2014
I go different places to collect Blood with 7-10 staffs member. I leanned good customer service and meet different kinds of people. Almost 20 years I was worked as management position. My co-workers love me, because I am friendly,strick principal,I like to work done on time and professional way.The hardest part of job is some time go to work at 2Am. – more... The most enjoyable work is I meet differend of people everyday in different places. – less
Doing the job of three people
Rather not say (Current Employee), Rather not sayDecember 9, 2014
I like my job, but they are spreading us too thin. I can handle the work, but I doing the job that most companies have three people doing. It is just too much for one person to handle, well. The company itself does a lot of good for the community.
Was a good place to work
Administrative Assistant - Promotion (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCDecember 9, 2014
Pros: hour lunches, discounts
Cons: temporary job, call center enviroment- employees
I loved my job at the American Red Cross the only thing I did not like was the job was temporary. I was promoted Data Entry to team lead then to Administrative Assistant.
The American Red Cross is a wonderful place to work. I love helping people in need. This position provided me with this opportunity.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Fremont, OHDecember 8, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I learned about the mission of the Red Cross as well as the history of it's inception and development over the years.
A great company to work for
Apheresis Telerecruiter (Current Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 6, 2014
A great company to work for
Allow people to get to know you as a person
Everyday was filled with team work and fun for staff and donors
Charge Staff and Double Red Cell Instructor (Former Employee), Baltimore MDDecember 5, 2014
Pros: all staff was willing to work under my supervision without complaints.
Cons: had to drive personal vehichles state to state
Maintain a safe and smooth running environment for donors to donate blood for patients in the hospital. Set up work station in companies. following SOP's. Performed QC daily and quarterly on equiptment and anything used for the performance of a smooth ran safe blood drive. Superviced staff. Scheduled and deligated work schedules and lunches. American – more... Red Cross was a great place to work and treated employees fair and appreciated. The stars will not light in. I enjoyed going to work there. – less
Pleasant workplace helping those in need
Receptioist (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLDecember 5, 2014
Pros: pleasant surroundings, appreciation, low key atmosphere
Cons: salary, part time work, no benifits. also i would appricate more work so i can be more of an asset to the organization.
A typical day includes answering phones, directing calls and greeting employees, volunteers and guests. I have learned to handle calls according to urgency and understand the resources available.

Management is pleasant, keeping organization running efficiently. Interaction with coworkers could not be better, always appreciative of my work.

The position – more... is not hard with the exception of learning everyone's name and their job purpose.

The most enjoyable part of the job is once again the pleasant surroundings and appreciation. – less
A great place to work. Great co-workers
Specialist I / Double Reds Automated Technician (Former Employee), Columbus, OHDecember 5, 2014
Set up mobiles. Process donors. Tear down mobiles. I learned about teamwork and how important it is to make your day sucessful. My co-workers were the best. Hardest part was the hours. We worked different hours everyday. Enjoyable part was the friends I made along the way.

1 2 3 4 5

About American Red Cross

The humanitarian mission of the American Red Cross connects us to people and communities across the nation and around the world. – Read more

American Red Cross Photos