American Red Cross

2.1K reviews

American Red Cross Employee Reviews

Productive and Educational
Donor Collections Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 30, 2015
I enjoy the aspect of meeting new people. I have learned a lot about the process of why donor blood is vital for persons who are in need I feel that my people skills have improved vastly due to the exciting new tasks that come daily.
Fun place to work
Crew Chief/ Work Placement Coordinator (Former Employee), Hauppauge, NYJuly 30, 2015
I loved working there. My coworkers and I were like one big family unit. Unfortunately the pay wasn't that good and my supervisor wasn't available for guidance.
Strong Mission
Manager (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 29, 2015
A wonderful mission. New leadership working to streamline an important company. Many jobs being lost in this process, but it is necessary.
Friendly Environment
Recruiter/Customer Service (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJuly 29, 2015
A typical day at work required setting up appointments for blood donations via phone. I learned about the company and what they offer to the community. Management was professional with staff. My co-workers were friendly.
A life filling profession
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Toledo, OHJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Helping humanity.
Cons: Union shop
Working this job was great! The type of job you felt you accomplished something that day, that made a difference. Working with the public and saving lives.
A Great Organization
Services for The Armed Forces (Current Employee), Fort Riley North, KSJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Helping others in their greatest times of need
Cons: I dont know of any
This organization is amazing . The rewards of being involved with such a great group of people is more than you can imagine. The outreach is worldwide for numerous years, with no discrimination towards any group or nationality. They truly give a great service to so many. I will continue to be a part of this organization for a lifetime. The needs are great and the Great are needed !
Over all a nice place to work with a few exception.
Reference immunohematology laboratory technologist (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJuly 28, 2015
Pros: I was part of a company that cared for its community
Cons: Taking call
I enjoyed the work very much. Taking call was very difficult and put undo stress on mind and body. It was a youth driven company.
Fun, relaxed, and rewarding work environment
HUMAN SERVICES INTERN (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 28, 2015
The American Red Cross was a great experience for me. Management wanted to place me at a desk for my entire internship, but I worked with my supervisors and eventually was able to accomplish what I wanted to - help people in need.

I taught middle school children the basics of first aid, installed smoke detectors for people who did not have any, worked with veterans and current military members, and assisted in the search for missing refugees.
Amazing organization that supports families in crisis nationwide, trains folks with CPR/First Aid, Blood centers and aids military world wide
Regional Business Development Director (Former Employee), Yuba CityJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Great organization, leader in disaster relief, 100+ years of history
Cons: Territory too large, too many events to manage at once, non effective without leaders in place in each county
Brand new position with the ability to work on several projects and events overall. Large territory due to corporate structure realignment. Hardest part of the job was to be in several places at once. Second hardest part of the job was to find volunteers for events that desperately needed more help.
Fun Job!!
Collection Tech III (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAJuly 28, 2015
A typical day requires travel, setup and breakdown of blood drives where you process anywhere from 15-100 donors, depending on goal. You work with a different crew each day and the hours vary.You meet people of all ages, so customer service skills are essential. I am very good at difficult venipuncture and apheresis procedures. I assist new employees who have come out of otj training. The co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job would be the various hours and travel. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and saving lives!
Fun place to work for!
Phlebotomist/ Charge Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Farmington, CTJuly 28, 2015
As a Phlebotomist I would draw blood, perform health histories, and provide great customer service. I would make sure all donors felt comfortable before we would proceed to the phlebotomy.
Very Pleasant Job
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee), East Point, GAJuly 27, 2015
American Red Cross was actually my on the job training while I was training for my Certification in Business Office Administration. It was a very enjoyable experience for me. The pay was okay, but the people and the atmosphere compensated for the lack in pay.
slow at times but also very busy
Collection Specialist (Phlebotomist) (Former Employee), Dedham, MAJuly 27, 2015
it was a nice place to work for. meeting new people from all over the place and world. the staff was nice, you had to do a lot of inside set ups at colleges for high schools.
Medical Technology in Technical Services
Technical Services Supervisor (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARJuly 25, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Laid of Multiple Departments
Over worked & under paid. Very little work life balance. Management not very diverse in culture. Mismanagement of funds & products. Staff not very family oriented. Worked seven days a week most weeks, with few vacation.
Nice place to work while helping save lives and aleviate suffering
District Manager, Donor Recruitment (Current Employee), VirginiaJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Generous vacation leave, nice balance in life work, help others, highly respected origination, pride in mission and success of organization
Cons: constant change, too many layers of management, bureaucracy.
A lot of restructuring but on the right path. Great place to work if you like to work hard and stay busy. Very generous paid time off. Friendly environment.
no room for advancement
worker (Current Employee), charlotte, ncJuly 25, 2015
There is no room for advancement, the morale is low amongst employees because of how leadership is. This company cares about people in the community but staff are just considered a number.
Mentally draining job, horrible management, severely under staffed!!!
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee), Douglasville, GAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: M-F schedule
Cons: EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
I just recently quit this job a few days ago. The American Red Cross in Douglasville GA is a HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!!! I worked in Hospital Services and I only worked there for almost three months and couldn't take it anymore. I was in training for this job for 1 month and it only took me a month to see that this place was not a good place to be!!! The entire company is under staffed and employees leave the job left and right. Management is TERRIBLE!!!When I left, components department was down 8 people because the employees couldn't take it anymore! Hospital Services, which is the department I worked in, was severely under staffed. When I started in hospital services there was 9 (including supervisor and lead tech) people on my shift, within 6 weeks we were down to 4 employees on my shift! My supervisor even resigned!!!!! I worked two jobs at the time and I have never worked a job that drained me mentally!!! If I were you I would look elsewhere for employment!!!!!
Educational and Fulfilling
Assisting military families worldwide (Current Employee), Joint MDL NJJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Meet new and interesting individuals
Cons: N/A
Being a volunteer for the American Red Cross for the Armed Forces, I’m committed to working with the members of the U.S. military, veterans and their families. My primary occupation and skill is working on case work for the Armed Forces. This very important position is a Twenty-four hour a day, 365 days a year operation. This case work entails; assisting military families worldwide; ship to shore when they are experiencing any crisis such as the death or serious illness of an immediate family member. Also providing them with good news such as the birth of a service member's child or grandchild. As a volunteer for the Red Cross I’m continuously vigilant of the changing needs of the active duty military members, veterans and their families. As a Red Cross volunteer supporting the military members and their families is the critical part of the job, this ongoing support can enhance their morale; which increase their operational capability in several ways.
fast pace- call center
Senior Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego caJuly 23, 2015
Receiving and making calls all over the world, assisting clients in times of emergency needs. Verifying emergencies with coroners, funeral homes, hospital hospices police and fire depts. I worked with a wonderful team of co workers that were very dedicated to the position.
Volunteern
Volunteer specialist - Completed 125hrs (Former Employee), warrenJuly 23, 2015
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors
Headquarters