American Red Cross
2,059 reviews

American Red Cross Employee Reviews

Work was great to me
Emergency Services Specialist (Former Employee), Greenville, SCJuly 4, 2015
I started out as a volunteer for 5 years. I asked if they had an opening because I wanted to work for an agency that did so much good for people who were in need because of disasters. For the 9 years as an employee I enjoyed working with the people and agency more than any other place I have ever worked. After I had to leave due to a disability a year later I was able to do some more volunteering. Was very upset that I had to leave.
Good
Donated (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Help people
Cons: seeing so much blood
It was great meeting people and saving so much lived. It was very for-filling. Joining people make a such a difference in the world
Good PT job
Instructor (Former Employee), Bradenton, FLJuly 1, 2015
the paperwork got a little crazy for the $ but other then that it was great. The classes are easy to teach and the courses are canned so no problem. Show up early and ensure all equipment is in working order.
exciting organization to work for: travel
Collection Tech II (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 1, 2015
Pros: good pay, excellent staff
Cons: no flexibility
Great place to work. Have to be flexible. I learned how to work in a team environment, I preformed staff quarterly assessments and trained new hires in field operations
fast paced
Blood Processing Technician/ Material Handlier (Current Employee), Douglasville, GAJuly 1, 2015
A fast paced job. A good company to work for. The benefits are very good. You can learn a lot at American Red Cross. Everyday is different, and there are changing everyday, but its common.
Their philosophy and services were stellar.
Health and Safety Instructor (Former Employee), Fort Collins, COJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Amnominity
Cons: No management or performance feedback, chance for advancement
Travailing to a new environment to help people to learn and that were eager and excited to see you. I learned an enormous amount about the experiences and heart ache of individuals that had lost a love one through heart disease. Their was a disconnect between management and the instructors role in the organization.
Some of my coworkers were really fun to work and I learned a lot from them. The hardest part was very little support. The most enjoyable part was knowing that someone saved a life that was in one of my classes
Great Place to work for a Globally known Organization
Technical Specialist II - Humanitarian ITS (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2015
A pleasure to work for the American Red Cross. 100% proud to have “American Red Cross” on my resume, a globally respected Humanitarian Aid Organization. The helpful spirit is in all of Red Cross staff and volunteers!
Saving lives is awesome
Collection Technician II (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOJune 30, 2015
Pros: Easy overtime, saving lives, diversity
Cons: Short to 0 breaks, crazy hours
Your day can start as early as 3 in the morning and go as late as 1030 at night. Some blood drives are 3 hours away which makes for a crazy long work day but the plus side is you get paid for the driving time so you could literally get paid while you are sleeping so that's pretty sweet. You go someplace new every day. Whether its a high school, a collage, a church or a place of business you are bound to meet some very interesting people at this job. Co-workers are gonna be your new family of course because you see them more than anyone else and they are your road trip buddies with this job so make the most of it and bring head phones if your not so favorite people will be accompanying you on your voyage. Management is a little weird just because I was told several things in the interview that never came to pass in the real world such as "a 75 cent pay raise every 6 months" I'd say the hardest part of the job is probably the hours. One day you're working from 1pm to 10pm and the next day you work 430am-6pm and during the busy season you don't even really have time for breaks meaning you don't get to eat until you are driving home. But Kansas City is really good about being flexible and helping you switch with someone else or getting a day off when you need it. The most enjoyable part is that the max that you will actually be doing your job is 6 hours. A blood drive only goes on for 6 hours max, Of course that doesn't include the set up and break down but that stuff is easy but you get paid for all the in between time. There's loads of downtime in the summer.
AmeriCorps Volunteer
SAF Support Specialist (Current Employee), Sierra Vista AZJune 30, 2015
Pros: Flexibility and autonomy
Cons: Not getting paid for mileage to required events.
I was able to enhance my networking and community outreach skills in an environment that allowed for flexibility and autonomy.
Great First Job
HR Assistant III, Shared Services (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: supervisors lack of professionalism
Do not work here unless you enjoy stress poor pay and inconsistent uninformed leadership. I've never been happier to have been let go from a job and would not recommend this job to my worst enemy. Avoid at all costs!!!
Well managed and offered excellent training.
Lifeguard at Blue Bayou and Dixie Landin (Former Employee), LouisianaJune 30, 2015
Daily responsibilities included the safety of all customers inside the park. The job included ongoing training which was tested and practiced daily.
Outgoing
Blood Collection Technician (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 29, 2015
Pros: overtime friendly
Cons: short lunch
Draw blood from volunteering blood donors.
Set up in business for blood donatons.
Coworker are fun
Hardest part of job is working long hours
Most enjoyable part is meeting dfferent people and going to different places daily.
Great mission, Great people, Truly rewarding career
Director of Volunteer and Youth Engagement (Former Employee), Farmington, CTJune 29, 2015
Pros: Great mission, great work done by the organization
Cons: Organizational downsizing. Completely donation run, so very limited funding.
My responsibilities included recruiting, engaging, recognizing, and retaining volunteers to fulfill the mission of the American of the American Red Cross to prevent and alleviate human suffering in the time of emergency by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
saving lives
Suspect Product Specialist (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 29, 2015
Enjoyed being part of the blood services region and making certain that all blood that was collected was safe for patients.
friendly and knowledgeable co-workers
Laboratory Technician, Reference lab (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 28, 2015
Pros: benefits, good people, PTO
Cons: no room for advancement, favoritism
I learned a lot working at the Red cross for 18 years. I am very grateful for all the information and knowledge I received while employed there. Management really know their jobs. The hardest part I would have to say was that sometimes you feel as though you do a lot more work than some other co-workers. The most enjoyable part is coming in and doing my job which I was extremely good at, and working with some very nice people.
volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee), claremont, californiaJune 27, 2015
receptionist work mostly. I liked volunteering for a company that helps people everyday. I volunteer after school for awhile and loved it.
Productive Work place with Great Peolple and Fun activities
Data Management and IT Volunteer Intern (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJune 24, 2015
Helping Volunteer Services Department process volunteer applicant/inquires coming in through the Volunteer Connection and Redcross.org email accounts by creating new profiles and position assignments within the Bay Area Chapter. • Providing hands-on phone support including answering technical queries for local and remote users helping needed customers/victims after experiencing heartfelt disaster seemed to always be the hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable was training new volunteers the use of our salesforce ERP system and assisting leadership to evaluate and analyze data migration needs for new Volunteer Connections Pilot project database registration and orientation for Volunteer Resources Intake Web System national launch. Branch Offices VOIP phone system installs and network switches configuration /documentation.
Fun, productive work place.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 24, 2015
Pros: Helping a community in need.
Cons: No pay.
As a Volunteer, I would assist the Dentist in numerous dental procedures needed on patients that had no insurance. I learned the importance of giving back to a community in need. Management and co-workers were great people to work with. The hardest part of the job was not having enough time to help everyone. The enjoyable part was the seeing the appreciation from the clients.
Location was great and metro accesible
Donor Relations Coordinator (Former Employee), Headquarters, WAJune 24, 2015
Productivity was valued at the job. Great Colleagues and the a great environment to work. For the one year. Had a great manager who was really intrested in my professional growth. Great diversity.
Productive work place and very fast paced.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Pomona, CAJune 23, 2015
Pros: Very fast paced, and busy work place.
Very happy and enjoyable to work at this company. I was able to learn the process in prepping the blood drives for the American Red Cross.

1 2 3 4 5

About American Red Cross

The American Red Cross is where people mobilize to help their neighbors—down the street, across the country, and around – Read more

American Red Cross Salaries

$12.86 per hour
Technician II
$12.87 per hour

American Red Cross Photos

Red Cross volunteers unload supplies during the Texas wildfires.
CPR course on Capitol Hill.
Our services to the armed forces provide support to the military, veterans and their families.