American Red Cross Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,843 reviews matching the search
Shared Service Center Environment
Senior Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 7, 2016
We are functional so I have two main processes I handle; calculating insurance deduction catch-ups and refunds, and calculating and auditing final leave payouts for terminating employees. Some days are more of one thing than another depending on our assignment schedule.

I have learned about working with a large team at a large non-profit company

Management means well but often feels its hands are tied by upper management.

Co-workers vary, but usually work together well.

Keeping caught up can be difficult when co-workers leave and are not replaced.

I enjoy completing tasks and ensuring employees are paid correctly.
Pros
A friendly environment.
Cons
Long commute from home.
No time for family
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Ashley, PAMay 9, 2016
No family time, miss all my family functions
Just another LONG day at work
management does not communicate and there are lots of issues
co-workers don't get along, ( Humiliating )
vein selection is hardest part of the job,( I love a good challenge )
donors are the best part of my job, ( The donors make me smile )
Pros
I have a job with good insurance, I love my donors, just knowing I am helping people to help save lives
Cons
short and sometimes no breaks, pay, lack of communication
Great company with Great People
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAApril 25, 2016
I enjoy teaching students life saving techniques. It is a pleasure to observe students acquire the confidence in order to get directly involved in helping someone in a emergency. The class size is between 12 to 24 people per session with 7 hours of classroom time.
To educate and entertain requires a knack of skill set hands on with a twist of my experiences in the Emergency field. I am always learning something knew in the world in which we live in.
Pros
The satisfaction in teaching something so important and valuable.
Cons
Not everyone takes the training seriously.
Good place to get experience, long irregular hours and very understaffed.
Collection Technician II (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILApril 26, 2016
I loved the work and the awesome donors. But the company does not treat employees the same. You are not recognized for being a good worker. The favoritism is bad and this allowed the lazy workers to to sit and not do anything if the supervisor was their friends outside of work. You could literally look at the schedule and know if you were gonna have a bad day.
Pros
Awesome donors, good training
Cons
Hardly ever got regular breaks, long days and irregular hours. Favoritism was really bad.
Technical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 26, 2016
I like my job and enjoy the work I do at the American Red Cross.
Everyday is a challenge with our different procedures but I really do enjoy training different groups of people. Management is not always bad but often looks at resolutions in a different perspective even if its wrong. My CO-workers are fun and bubbly I get alone with everyone.
The hardest part of my job is agreeing to disagreeing with rushed training scheduling per-management.
The most enjoyable part of my job is training and teaching people who like to learner new things.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Benefits and Incentives
experience
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2016
The work at the American Red Cross was very rewarding and fulfilling. This was after hurricane Katrina and I was an intake operator. What I did was take calls coming in for assistance from all over Louisiana where hurricane Katrina hit and there was devastation. I graduated in May 2005 and Hurricane Katrina hit in August of 2005. So to be able to assist was very rewarding and fulfilling for me. I made sure the information given to me was disseminated to those who could assist those in need
Pros
challenging, but good
Cons
unable to assist or get information from those afected
Always there when in Need
Administrative support coordinator (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXApril 19, 2016
Love working for the American Red Cross... people actually give up there time to be where they are needed ... whether it is a house fire, flood or Hurricane... American Red Cross Volunteers are there... I had the opportunity to see first hand what it takes to be a Volunteer and I am here to say ... when you see them... you can see the smile... I am very blessed to work with such an Amazing Company
Pros
Staff is always available
Cons
I see no cons all is done with good deed
A great expierence
CNA Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockledge, FLApril 17, 2016
The American Red Cross was a great experience and I learned a lot through the course and was able to make good grades because of the RN's who were so helpful. If someone was interested, I would definitely recommend them. The tests were challenging but if you put your mind it the class they were easy to pass and the skills they let you work on some of the time and they showed you one on one how to do it. I overall loved it!
Pros
Good teachers, classroom is set up well, and short class
Cons
Wish we had more time for skills throughout the course
Productive and Professional Worplace
Secretary/Customer Service/ recruiter (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 18, 2016
Everyday was a busy day and very fast paced , I learned how to be a member of a team and make my team the best. The Management and staff were highly professional and pushed us to get our deadlines, they commended us for our work and our dedication and were our biggest supporters. The most challenging part of this position I would say was wanting to create more blood drives to help people in need but was limited, the best part about this position was to be able to train my team to be the best and see the results regularly, and lastly to be able to help patients receive the blood that they needed and to be able to be a part of a life changing company.
Enjoyed teaching but felt lack of consistency and out of the loop
Instructor (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Mid MichiganApril 18, 2016
I was a Red Cross part time paid instructor. I enjoy people, teaching and representing a large, well thought of company. In the time I was an instructor every week things were constantly changing. Last minute changes, lack of current information, no sense of teamwork... you are left out on your own a lot of the time to just figure things out. Was teamed with volunteers that did not have the level of training or experience to teach. This job does not pay very well for the amount of responsibility you are expected to have.
Pros
meet nice people in the community. Help people learn to save a life
Cons
Poor pay, lack of communication, high expectations, lack of consistent training
Pharmacy Volunteer
Pharmacy Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Scott AFB, ILApril 15, 2016
Processed and checked new and recurring patient medication pick-ups and refills. Stocked and organized the medication storage shelves as required. This job was a learning experience,because i had never did anything like this. I thought i wouldn't learn but, i did and enjoyed every minute.If i didn't know something no problem, the workers were glad to help. The hardest part was Monday you had to find the medicine because no one was their on the weekends.
Pros
Finding medicine
Cons
Learning experience
Productive and a fun work environment.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 11, 2016
Productive with the right balance of work and social time.

A typical work day begins with checking the updates the morning of our assigned blood drive on the company computer to make sure nothing has changed from our hard copy schedule.
Drive to blood donation centers and various blood drives in and around the five state area. Pick up blood and deliver supplies.

I've learned the real meaning of compassion and support. The management and staff are supportive and understanding.
The hardest part of the job is the late night drives back from an out of state location.
The most enjoyable part is feeling like I am the boss.
Pros
Reimbursement for miles driven.
Cons
Low pay.
Pathetic excuse for a humanitarian organization
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 8, 2016
This place is a sweat shop. Human resources is inhumane. Supervisors and management are arrogant, over bearing task masters. A lot of yelling just for doing your job. They wanted to monitor your every move and even installed cameras to aid in this effort. I was followed to the bathroom on several occasions. Way too top heavy and top down. A lot of fossils in management positions that are completely out of touch with what it takes to get a job done.
Pros
plenty of work to keep busy
Cons
management, nepotism
Communication Issues/No room for growth
Talent Acquisition Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
Communication from upper management to employee is strained and flawed. Upper management does not listen to employees and displays lack of empathy. There is limited growth in one's role. Attempts to expand outside of role to gain other experience is quickly shot down by management.
Pros
professional meetings are often lighthearted
Cons
no work/life balance, upper management overbearing
Its great to work at such a great company that helps those in need
COLLECTION SPECIALIST/ACTING TEAM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 2, 2016
A typical day at the American Red Cross is traveling two or more hours to a blood drive, setting it up within an hour, processing donors and dealing with reactions. I love my job, my coworkers, and my donors. We all work together to achieve a common goal...to collect blood safely and help save lives everywhere. The hardest part of my job is the traveling. A typical week looks like this: Monday, I work in Lansing Tuesday: Muskegon or Holland Wednesday: Jackson or Adrian Thursday: St. Joseph and Friday: Battle Creek. This is a typical schedule for me and includes many other cities in Michigan.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
overwhelming at times
Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAApril 18, 2016
Arriving at work at 7:30 am to 3pm. Making sure my supervisors have everything that she needs to be successful in the morning. Making donor copies for staff of 15. Calling donors, scheduling donors. Cancel and adding appointments. Sending out emails to staff about different changes that day or week. Brainstorming with supervisor about co workers pros and cons.
Pros
Great co workers, Engage in alot of activies
Cons
short wages
American Red Cross, Great people and caring hearts!
Volunteer-First Responder (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OH 44004March 29, 2016
I will say this...Anyone who donates there time to such a great cause are "HEROS w/out the cape!!" We don't expect any pay checks and work strictly from the heart and souls of our well being! I loved it here and miss all of you out there in Ashtabula,Ohio! Keep up the good work and best wishes to all of you! Be safe and take care of each other as well as you do for in kindness for others. See you around the world! :)
Pros
Traveling around the world in disaster relief while helping others.
Cons
NONE
Productive and Fun Work Environment with travel
Distribution Technician I (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARApril 7, 2016
I loved this job. My supervisor was wonderful and very considerate to all employees.

Unfortunately I was injured on the job and could no longer fulfill my duties. It broke my heart to leave such a wonderful company.
Pros
Travel to local hospitals - it was always nice to have a change of scenery.
Cons
Lots of on-call hours. Two nights a week and every other weekend, leaving very little family time.
awesome place of employment.....GO DFW!!!
Mobile Collection Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 28, 2016
I must say I begin working for American Red Cross in 2002 when I first moved to Dallas Texas. I must say I enjoyed every moment and facet of the job. I left for 2 months returned, left again and returning again because this organization is like family to me and there is no other place like it!! Like they say family is EVERYTHING and that's how I feel about ARC DFW. I glad to be home again!

Very Happy Employment<3
Pros
Great Pay and overtime
Cons
you just may have to get up earlier than usual.....
Altruistic Working Environment
Manager of Tele-recruitment and Direct Mail (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 24, 2016
High-volume scheduling activity from existing blood and platelet donor data base. Loyal and dedicated management team with FDA regulations for donor data base integrity and process management. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing every day that our tireless efforts saved lives. Many team members were donors or recipients or personally knew someone who benefitted from the donation of a blood product. The hardest part of the job was maintaining donor scheduler motivation.
Pros
Altruism - We knew that we helped save lives
Cons
Public apathy - people feel someone else will donate