American Red Cross Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,953 reviews matching the search
High Turnover For a Reason
Lab Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Immunohematology Lab Charlotte NTLMarch 17, 2016
The Red Cross expects their lab techs to be machinery not people. They want perfect results regardless of experience, staff size, and workload. They give short breaks, low pay, mediocre benefits. In return they want you to have no ideas, no mistakes, no complaints. The shifts have long hours but most of the employees are kind and hardworking. Getting time off is easy because its the only thing the direct supervisors have control of and they understand that everything else sucks. The work isn't bad, but all of the equipment is ancient and there is no budget for replacement. The management is horrible. It seems like upper level positions are given to those who outlast all the rest and stay the longest, instead of people who are good at handling employees and balancing budgets. It soon became clear to me that I was nothing more to them than a pair of hands, cheap to hire and easily replaceable.
Pros
They'll hire workers straight out of college with no experience
Cons
Low pay, high workload, a general sense that you're disposable
Fun work place
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 14, 2016
Typical day of work consisted of getting up and driving to our main Red Cross center and taking one of the Red Cross vehicles to the site where blood mobile was being held. Management was wonderful, pay and benefits are great! Hardest part of the job would have to be the scheduling which isn't your regular 9-5p job. Your schedule varies each day as far as getting up early to leave for work one day and the next leaving later on. If you have children it's hard because sometimes you work a blood drive that is 3 hours away from your home location. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you are apart of helping save lives. I found pride in my job knowing I was contributing to helping save a life. I loved meeting new people and hearing their stories.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short breaks
Not for someone who has a family
Donor specialist Level 3 (Current Employee) –  Ny PennJanuary 20, 2016
Working here you feel unappreciated your hard work goes unnoticed by management and if you do get advancement you are told to keep It a secret. Horrible management by MY ops manager. Being told I'm wrong or I heard wrong if I have an issue she will lie to your face and as for them covering hours when your drive is cancelled due to weather or any other reason they just won't pay you for it I have worked my tail off for this company for more than 2 years and I no longer feel secure in my job. I am good at my job I love my donors and the stories they open up to you. The organization as a whole is crumbling and I don't think they will ever recover!
Pros
Donor contact
Cons
Poor pay, lunch break not guarenteed, no communication with management, benefits, no home life
Document Review
Collections Document Reviewer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 21, 2016
DO NOT APPLY TO WORK HERE!!!!!!!!!!! Especially in document review (St. Louis). Managers are extremely unprofessional and have NO respect for work/life balance. Red Cross has NO MONEY! Rationing 2 percent annual raises. Departments are being dissolved left and right. To work here is a big RISK!!! Horrible and getting Worse!
Pros
Not much micro managing
Cons
Management, advancement opportunity, raises, pay
Interesting, always active place to work.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Green Cove Springs, FLApril 1, 2016
The American Red Cross is a wonderful organization. They help so many people, you can't even put a number to how many.

A typical day at work is going in, getting my computer up, checing emails and Volunteer Connection, especially checking for emails from the Chapter office. Also from the Fire Marshall for smoke alarm installations.

Filing to help out the Emergency Operations Center as well as my own, keeping records and sending reports to Chapter office, keep records of numbers of people contacted.

Calling organizations; Senior Citizen Center and Schools to set up appointments to do presentations for hazard preparedness. The presentations are to prepare the communities for fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Then I contact the Volunteers to do the presentations.

I also participate in classes/training for such disasters with the EOC.

Hardest part is not having enough Volunteers. Most enjoyable is working with the Volunteers. They are wonderful, caring, passionate people.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches, pot luck dinners
Cons
No health care, no benefits
Goal oriented environment & company that is all about people & their overall mission.
Hospital Services Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 12, 2016
I have been working at the American Red Cross for about five years and I enjoy that what I do everyday makes a difference to many people across the city, state, and even the nation. A work environment with friendly people who understand the goal of the company. Also knowing that all departments and people involved play a part in the company.
Pros
Good starting pay, benefits, room for advancement.
Mission oriented
Director of Training & Workforce Management (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 5, 2016
The American Red Cross likes to spend donor money on lavish hotels, cars, etc.
Management will act nice to your face and then back stab you.
The Red Cross is a big marketing and fundraising machine that gives little back to the victims.
Volunteers are getting stuck doing all the work that paid staff is suppose to do.
Must be on-call 24/7 if you are the Disaster Program Manager even if you are on vacation.
Benefits and Salary are pretty high and well for paid staff positions.
Pros
Work to help others in need
Cons
Spend money on junk and give little back to victims
great!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHMarch 8, 2016
I started volunteering at the red cross in Highschool for the disaster relief group. After our organizer left, my friend and I started a club in highschool which won an award and where I trained all of the members in CPR. We raised 900 dollars towards the Haiti effort. I was the youngest instructor in New England (16-18).
Red Cross supervisor/instructor
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 14, 2015
A typical day at work for me would usually be for me to travel to a mobile or fixed site to perform assessments on whole blood/apheresis staff. I would travel to different locations to conduct training and assessments. I learned how to perform my job independently, as my supervisor was at a different location. My co-workers and I worked as a team to complete all training and assessments on time. The hardest part of my job was being away for weeks at a time. I do love to travel, and seeing different people and doing different things everyday was exciting.
Pros
benefits, pay, and coworkers
Cons
long period of travel and difficult managers.
Fast paced
Donor Collection Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 15, 2016
when I got there in 2008 it was a great place to work with great benefits.
Then it started going downhill along with moral.
Pros
going to different places working with different people
Cons
A lot of driving to different places, Management sucks
Excellent mission
collection supervisor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 8, 2016
Excellent mission with human service outreach. Hard working employees and volunteers. Long hours, management needs to come out of office and be in the street. Lack of concern . No appreciation.
Pros
good benefits- human service
Cons
long hours- pay- lack of appreciation-favoritism-no advancement
Lots of traveling every day
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILJanuary 20, 2016
You travel to blood drives in a different place every day and meet a lot of great people. Great team to work with. Great benefits. They teach you how to follow government guide lines.
Pros
Meeting great people and benifits
Cons
Employee satisfaction and morale is low
Disaster Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 12, 2015
The mission work is ceiticle to the community. The atmoshere and culture hase been in decline for the past 10 years. The chance for advanmcement is low. The organization is not solvent enough to gic\ve performace or cost of living raises each year.
Middle Management does not support front line supervision.
Pros
Clients are well served
Cons
Poor salary, no advancement oppertunities
Needs improvement with management and scheduling
Collections Technician II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 27, 2015
Interaction between staff are equivalent to a family type relationship. Everyone works hard and is mostly efficient. The scheduling department needs to improve the way they manage the locations and hours assigned to collections staff. Incentives and fair compensation for commuting long distances could be better as they are lacking.
Pros
staff relationships and some work locations are interesting sites to work at
Cons
schedule, work hours and little to no incentives
very demanding training and workload, but in the end it was very rewarding
Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAFebruary 17, 2016
Excellent place to work, topnotch training, the benefits are great, going different places everyday helps develop relationships with many various people and groups, it was a great experience.
Blood Services- Do not work there
Technologist II, IRL (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 23, 2015
I worked for ARC for 5 years. This organization exists solely on reputation and good will of the community. In reality, it is a case study in poor management practices. Employees are not valued or treated with any level of respect.Training and communication is ineffective and poor. Human Resources is non-existant. The benefits and compensation are poor. I love the core duties of my job however all of the other issues force me to use my skills elsewhere. The whole experience should have been better. Overall I do regret leaving my previous job for this one.
A very special place to work
AV SPECIALIST/SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2015
When I first started at the Red Cross, honestly I wanted to quit but my father didn't raise a quitter. When I arrived the AV was horrible. It was very outdated and failing. Only thing I was told was to make it work. So I did, which included troubleshooting on a daily basis, coordinating the repair of the existing out of date systems, and placing band-aids where needed. For most of my tenure at the Red Cross, about 98% of the meetings were in conformance. It takes a special employee to work at the American Red Cross. Customer Service is #1 no exceptions. I am 1 of 2 that have been here for 9 1/2 years so I've seen over 20 employees that couldn't handle the special environment and either left or requested to be removed.
Pros
Coordinating meetings with high ranking officials, making great relationships, learned about being Humanitarian from professionals, working with a great team
Cons
bad management, by being a contractor some information is not shared with you, I haven't had a raise in 7 years
ok place to work
Lab Technologist - Immunohematology Lab (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 14, 2015
like every job you have the good and the bad. the bad is they always seemed to be short staffed, a lot of busy work, mangement sucks, and you have to work over a lot. The good, they are always having some type of party, good benefits, and you get discounts all over
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Beyond Disappointed in the ARC
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 10, 2016
I have never worked for a company that allowed the worst people to be in management. Out of eight people in my training group less than 7 months ago only 2 staff member's remain. They have all quit. The only way I can describe the work environment is nothing short of bulling. There are two types of people at the ARC. Worker bee's and the one who hide and do less as possible. I was sick of going to work and doing the grunt work because I was the "New Bee" Senior staff felt they could pick and choose what they wanted to set up on the drive and the rest of us did the what was left. The hard stuff. Senior staff also keep us stuck in health histories and not be fair with the flow of the Blood Drive. Twenty one hours was considered full time so they would schedule me for 20.5 hours not including the sometimes 1-2 hour drive to get to the drive and how long we were there cleaning up after a drive ended. If it even ended on time. We were compensated for the time we worked however because they weren't my "scheduled" hours I couldn't receive benefits. Its a scam they hire all part time staff so they have coverage but don't have to pay the benefits. They are cross training the bus drivers to draw blood so they can eliminate the skilled phlebotomist. Who wants someone who never went to school to draw blood sticking them with a 16 gage needle? Not me!! The best part about this job was meeting the donors and feeling like I help save lives at the end of the day. Other than that This job was horrible!!! Don't waste your time they don't care about you.
Pros
meeting the donors
Cons
under staffed over worked unfair almost cultlike
Recieve product in daily, break down the product so that we can extract and distribute product using CGMP.
Manufacturing Tech (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 24, 2015
Upon first arriving, my expectations were high and I was very excited to work at the Red Cross. But after years of working there you begin to see that not everything is as it seems there. Everyone always wants to pry into your personal life, anything that is said to management eventually gets outed to line staff and other shifts, They are constantly reminding you about what you did wrong, they express how they strive for teamwork and synergy but that only applies to certain people. Certain shifts are made to work harder then other shifts, Training staff in incompetent and does not do a good job setting you up for success.
Pros
Get experience in line manufacturing
Cons
Poor Management, poor staff, Poor hours, terrible benefits, Pay is not worth the level of work and stress.