American Red Cross

2.2K reviews

American Red Cross Employee Reviews

Co-workers are great
Service Agent I (Current Employee), Omaha NEAugust 28, 2015
Pros: free parking
Cons: No one is on the same page.
It's all about the numbers. All Leads and Managers have their own rules and it is very difficult to learn and it doesn't have to be. Turnover is extreme. Job itself was satisfying to be able to get donors.
Awesome place to work!!!
Information Data Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 28, 2015
Awesome place to work with an extraordinary cause. My boss in particular was awesome to work for. He was very understanding and also flexible with hours. For the first time in my life I felt like everyone around me were team players. Everyone was willing to assist, including management. We all worked as one unit which made an harmonious work environment.
American Red Cross
Volunteer (Current Employee), Fort Worth Texas and 147 countiesAugust 27, 2015
This is a amazing relief effort dedicated mostly by Volunteers. We are first responders in our community and through out our Nation.
It was a wonderful experience working for American Red Cross
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 27, 2015
Pros: meet different people
Cons: no complaints
Had a chance to travel a lot and work with different workers,it was a beautiful experience Wnderful managers,and it was a good feeling that it was for good cause
Great Learning environment
Presenter (Former Employee), Ridgewood, NJAugust 26, 2015
This work environment was extremely beneficial and a great learning experience. It introduced me into the health field and how to contribute to people in need.
Team Supervisor (Current Employee), Douglasville, GAAugust 26, 2015
Pros: pay, experience
Cons: time off, mandatory weekends
Great staff. Diverse company. Always room for growth. Great salary. Not much time for family if you work in the field.
You will get a lot of experience in your field. Company is very adamant about training and protocol which is good in the health care field.
Great leaders
Disaster Program Manager (Former Employee), TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: calls come in during the middle of the night once worked 80+ hours in one week
Great leaders and volunteers! Would recommend to hire more paid staff to cover down on long hours. Over all great folks.
n/a
matherial handler (Current Employee), ft brag , n.c.August 26, 2015
The job was very exciting, but i was a voluntary. the manger was great to work for, but still looking for something permenate.
Crazy people who work crazy hours under incredible pressure!
DRD Rep (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 26, 2015
Pros: The bottom line of filling the needs of Patients!
Cons: Never enough hours to balance the day/week!
A typical day is going through emails, thanking the prior accounts and sharing the outcome of their blood drives and scheduling future drives. Then putting together future accounts willing to fillets to accommodate goals set to fill the needs in my territory. Then their are always reports and validating events from past drives to realistically set their future drives to balance staff and supplies.

When I took this job, I thought "who wouldn't want to donate blood"...Not knowing that only 2% of our state is willing to donate! It is the hardest thing I have ever done and the most fulfilling when I see a 15 month old running around my feet that has already had 3 transfusions in her short lifetime!
My co-workers are more family than my own-I see them much more and we see each others as brothers and sisters, and we support each other in the same fashion!
not professional
Assistant (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAAugust 25, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
management doesn't know how to make a schedule and keep it....so they wing it, week to week, you cannot live according to there schedule
productive, fun, understanding workplace
DATA INFORMATION ANALYST (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 25, 2015
Working for the american red cross was one of the best jobs I have experienced. Great hours, positive and supportive management. Salary and benefits were incredible. Hardest part of the job was multitasking with so many different database technologies. Co workers here were incredible understanding and helpful. Most enjoyable part of the job was the willingness of those who worked here to teach and help expand everyone's knowledge in their chosen fields and others.
Fub work place environment
Collections Technician II (Current Employee), Galesburg, ILAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Great pay
Cons: long random hours
This is a great job to work at because you have a chance to work with different staff everyday and meet new donors. They compensate very well here and overtime is usually offered. The hours are very random here and sometimes you have to stay overnight in a different city. A typical day consists of driving to the site of the blood drive and unloading the Red Cross truck and setting up all the equipment inside the building. After everything is set up you have to QC everything then you start bringing the donors back to do a health history and then draw a pint of their blood. You provide the donor with their aftercare instructions and then go on to the next donor. At the end of the day we pack our things back up and load the truck and go home.
Recieve product in daily, break down the product so that we can extract and distribute product using CGMP.
Manufacturing Tech (Current Employee), North CarolinaAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Get experience in line manufacturing
Cons: Poor Management, poor staff, Poor hours, terrible benefits, Pay is not worth the level of work and stress.
Upon first arriving, my expectations were high and I was very excited to work at the Red Cross. But after years of working there you begin to see that not everything is as it seems there. Everyone always wants to pry into your personal life, anything that is said to management eventually gets outed to line staff and other shifts, They are constantly reminding you about what you did wrong, they express how they strive for teamwork and synergy but that only applies to certain people. Certain shifts are made to work harder then other shifts, Training staff in incompetent and does not do a good job setting you up for success.
My position had great versatility
Collections Team Supervisor (Former Employee), Peoria, ILAugust 22, 2015
Pros: To grow as a leader
Cons: Extensive traveling
I would travel with other staff, as a team, to a blood drive; set up the blood drive; perform confidential questionnaires; perform venipuncture; properly stored and ensured blood products returned to the required facility for testing and release; and all staff would return safely home.
I served as the Operation's Supervisor which allowed for many opportunities to lead staff, interact with internal and external customers, communicate regularly with immediate and upper level management.
I supervised an immediate team of thirteen staff. My responsibilities with my staff would include mentoring, guidance, quarterly and annual evaluations, and discipline.
I served a specialized member of the 'Core Team' which was responsible to be available if blood products would be required to be quarantined.
Very satisfying time spent helping others in need, which I never call work.
Disaster Responder-Medical Staffing-on call (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 22, 2015
Pros: Helping those in need.
Cons: When Client gets greedy and requests more then others.
An Incredible group of people that give unconditionally, without ever judging who should get assistance or not when an emergency arises.
Which is our core concept: NEUTRALITY !
Very dedicated employee culture.
Instructor I and II (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 21, 2015
An environment where people feel good about working to help others.
Enjoyed my experience and learned to develop my compliance and ethics attitude from working there.
Anerican Red Cross
Laboratory Technician II/ R2 Alyx Operator (Former Employee), Mobile, ALAugust 21, 2015
Pros: Great hours when there provided for employees.
Cons: Unprofessional management, No promotion with seniority. and allowing employees to disrespect other employees.
The Job was good only when the hours are there . One can not provide for there family if the management want look out for there employees. Other then that The American Red Cross will and can be a great place to work. Co-workers are not as professional and some are .Work experience is a learning and challenging experience which I enjoyed. Unprofessional management can not manage staff unless they have been to some type of professional school. 98 percent of American Red Cross staff do not have a degree of some kind in south regional district and this company is allowing this unprofessional behavior to go on and that's a fact. Learn how to treat your employees and promote with seniority. Thank You
Productive and exciting place to work
Mobile Collections Specialist (Current Employee), Merrillville, INAugust 20, 2015
Pros: I love my job and working with people
Cons: None
blood collection equipment at work sites, to drawing blood from donors. I enjoy working with my co-workers. I've learned patience while working here. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a patience smile and knowing that I have satisfied them
This is a volunteer position
DAT member and First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor (Current Employee), OhioAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Training, nice co-workers and supervisors, experience
Cons: Not a paying job
The positions I hold are as a volunteer, but the experience is great. I received a lot of useful training that helps with a full time job. I also interact with others who are in need of help. I have the opportunity to work in emergency situations, interact with others, receive useful training for the full time career I am looking for, and more. The individuals I work with a great.
Great traveling experiences and meeting new people
Mobile Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYAugust 20, 2015
Pros: occasionally the sponsors of the drives feed us.
Cons: short breaks
This job required a lot of physical work, and mobility. A typical day at the Red Cross as about 8 to 10hrs. a day. We were at different drives daily. We learned a lot about people in general, that is because we were always in different parts of the N.Y. Penn Region, which enabled us to learn different things from the different people we encountered on the Blood Drives. My co*workers were fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was the constant mobiles everyday. The most enjoyable was knowing I had helped save lives.
Headquarters