American Red Cross
1,944 reviews

American Red Cross United States Employee Reviews

The ARC is the best place to work.
Director (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKMay 3, 2015
Pros: The different people you deal with
Cons: no time to visit with clients* wasn't able to reach out to everyone about pool safety*
At ARC you NEVER have any 2 days alike! Check on Clients making sure their needs are met and they are able to get back on their feet, made sure volunteers & staff knew what their jobs were that day.; then I set up appointments and classes, made sure I had instructors to teach the classes that I set up. I billed the customers for their classes, I had to keep track of all hours worked whether you were a volunteer or a paid staff. I did at one have to figure the payroll and make the checks out. I had to do fund raising, worked with Military fill out and verify all the information given to me for a loan/grant. Had to call Military and inform them of a death after verifying the death. The hardest part I didn't get to help the disaster clients like I would have liked. Enjoyable is being the first on the scene of a disaster and giving that client a hug and telling them things will be alright and seeing that smile on their face. Priceless!
fun working as respectionist loved the job
Customer Service- Volunteer (Former Employee), Savannah, GAMay 2, 2015
Pros: free snacks
Cons: working alone
helping people with their blood types, I worked alone, giving snacks to the patients. Getting the chance to meet people and help them decide which blood type that they are going to donate.
Very exciting and nice place
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALMay 2, 2015
I love animals so helping out over there was very fun everyday. People were nice, calm, and full of energy. The best part was at the end of the day, when you see that pets tail wagging or excited because you did something that other people might not do.
Good place to work with growth oppurtunities.
Phlebotomist/Collection Tech (Former Employee), Baltimore MDApril 30, 2015
Pros: Good work envionment and family like co- workers. Compensation and room for growth
Cons: Long driving, wear and tear on personal veicale, inability to go back to school.
Set up donation site. Perform health history assessments and phlebotomy procedures. paperwork detailing care provided and adverse reactions.
I learned multiple techniques for good phlebotomy practice and the importance of concise documentation. I also learned the importance of time management and preparation for good work practices.
Management were informative and helpful.
Co-workers were also helpful and good spirited.
Hardest part was the inconsistency of schedules and the long drive ties. Wear and tear on your personal vehicle.
Most enjoyable part was knowing that I saved lives daily.
Decent place to work
Collections Specialist I (Former Employee), Waukesha, WIApril 30, 2015
North SHore bank offers a competitive sales atmosphere. Management is professional and friendly.
Sales are very important to them
Customer base typically is older but friendly and enjoyable to assist
Stay away- Beware
Disaster Program Manager (Former Employee), Central, VAApril 30, 2015
Pros: Helping others in need
Cons: No work/life balance
You will 50-65 hours a week when there is not a disaster and make anywhere from $29,000 to $32,000. VA has gone through 2 mergers the last two years and the organization has lost an immense amount of knowledgeable, skilled staff and an immense amount of volunteers at the local and regional levels. The organization is in free fall without a vision and will likely become insolvent nationally by 2017. You will likely have a manager that does not respect your personal time, not approve your paid time off in a timely manner and expect you to answer emails that are sent at 10-11pm at night by 8am the next morning. It is a 24/7 job and even when you have staff support coverage for time off you will be called. You will have a work phone and P-card to pay bills that likely will be 5-7 weeks late in coming. You will work weekdays, weeknights, and Saturdays (at least 2 a month). The organization is not respected at the local and state levels by county or state emergency management for multiple reasons. The volunteers that do participate now are highly committed and can assist you but their numbers are few. You have top executives that make high 6 figures, tone deaf to and unresponsive to feedback from the local or regional level. You will enjoy helping others but find organization mistakes that make this consistently cumbersome and you will quickly burn out over time.
Very good and friendly workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 28, 2015
Pros: The convivial workplace atmosphere
Cons: Difficulty to more and qualify people for the job some times
The most enjoyable part of the job at American Red Cross is the daily assistance to the public giving them smile as we respond to their daily needs.
To work in a fast pace and a friendly enviroment
Team member, Burr ridge (Former Employee), St charles ILApril 28, 2015
Pros: Self motivated
Cons: being unemployed
I'm precise, constructive, energetic, sense of humor and strong willed.
Full concentration at work with sharp cognitive skills
Management a single unit and/or multiple units
Co workers are like family members of my second home
Yes difficulties, hardships do come with out informing, ready to face it and solve it
To work with co workersand or /Individually, under supervision of head.
This is a great family to be a part of
Manufacturing Manager/QC Lab Manager (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKApril 28, 2015
Pros: Excellent company
Cons: I don't really have any bad things to say
This company stresses diversity and compassion. They are accepting and understanding. I love working here. It is difficult to move up because so many people stay in their position. The pay is on the low end but it is a definite trade for all the other benefits.
Nice work environment
Tele recruiter (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 27, 2015
Pros: Nice people, good work environment
Cons: Too many rules
Work place was fine, just was a little too much of the same thing. The hardest part was getting through the day because of doing the same thing every day.
working with the kids were great
Long-Term Sub / Teacher's Aide (Former Employee), Fairport, NYApril 25, 2015
just didn't receive enough hours or the pay was poor. didn't like driving to city just for a couple of hours every day. I enjoyed working with the kids that had disabilities. I learned a lot about them and about baking in general.
Manage an immunhematology lab
Reference Lab Manager (Former Employee), West Henrietta, NYApril 24, 2015
Pros: Figuring out difficuklt workuos
Cons: Managment
Reviewing antibody workups for completeness and correctness. Writing up summaries of all workups.

I learned alot about antibodies and hos to identify them

There was a lack of effective management with too many chiefs.

My co-workers worked their butts off to get things done,

The hardest part as moving the lab to a different city with no loss of production.

The most enjoyable part was figuring out all the antibodies.
Great place to work and learn more about the IT world
Desktop Support (Intern) (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 24, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of me checking printers for any problems, setting up wireless connections, helping people with any computer problems and building a strong relationship with my coworkers. What I learned was how to image computers, different things in active directory and regedit and how to maintain a work life balance. There was no hardest part of this job because I enjoy working hands on in IT. The best part was seeing how happy someone was when I solved their problem or fixed their computer.
Wonderful opportunity to assist your fellow neighbors in times of need.
Volunteer (Current Employee), CAApril 23, 2015
Pros: It is rewarding giving back to the community and to lend a helping hand wherever needed.
Cons: Disaster is absolutely devastating that it is hard to not carry the weight of worry.
When natural disaster strikes it is very critical to be well prepared for the worst case scenario. The amount of foresight before disaster strikes is crucial and the American Red Cross is a wonderful organization that has a plan. When deployed on a hurricane, for example, it is necessary to work as a team and communicate clearly to be able to set up a shelter in a centralized location and alert the surrounding communities as to how to find us. We literally wade in the water and rest on cots next to those going through horrific times and we use our skill sets to keep them calm and positive while providing them with necessary information and keeping everyone safe. We provide food, clothing, toiletries, shelter, and transportation within our limits to the community until it is safe for them to go home. We also provide them with the means and numbers to prepare for whatever is next. You meet the most amazingly humbles people while volunteering which in turn humbles yourself as well.
Inspiring, fast paced, service related with a diverse culture.
Disaster Program Manager (Former Employee), KansasApril 23, 2015
The close knit group of fellow employees is outstanding. The pace is exceedingly fast with long hours and travel time. Unlimited opportunities to learn and grow. The environment is one of great change and often unknown outcomes. The mission cannot be any more solid and the rewards of carrying it out are extensive.
You have your own space and you work on teams
Call Center Service Agent I (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 22, 2015
When you get to work you have to start right away because appointments are a big thing shown in your status of each month.
The hardest part of the job is to reach the goal of how many appointments do you get a day. Some people are nice and make you feel at home.
You gain experience taking calls and dealing with donors.
Good starter job
Area Volunteer and Community Programs Specialist (Former Employee), Paducah, KYApril 22, 2015
I enjoyed my job title and working with all the volunteers and planning events. I also loved worked with the kids in school. Not overly impressed with the company as a whole. I love what Red Cross does for others but feel the staff and volunteers weren't treated as they should/could be.
Give volunteers experience
Summer Hospital Volunteer (Former Employee), Fort BraggApril 22, 2015
Pros: Helpful, committed to goals
As a summer youth volunteer I worked no more than four hours. I was assigned a section in a hospital and helped the nursing staff. I answered phone calls, organized the office, made copies, made deliveries throughout the hospital, and greeted the visitors. Management of both the section and the Red Cross were extremely helpful. The experience overall was wonderful. I learned so much.
Good place to learn about Blood Banking
Collections Compliance Specialist I (Current Employee), Oakland, CAApril 21, 2015
I have moved into several departments within the company over the last 11 years and was able to learn about several processes with the blood banking industry. Great group of people to work.
Helping clients
Volunteer (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARApril 21, 2015
I Handed out snacks to patients and greeted them with a warm and friendly smile.

help fill out paperwork so they could donate blood.

1 2 3 4 5

About American Red Cross

The humanitarian mission of the American Red Cross connects us to people and communities across the nation and around the world. – Read more

American Red Cross Salaries

$38,500 per year
Collections
$13.45 per hour

American Red Cross Photos

Red Cross volunteers unload supplies during the Texas wildfires.
CPR course on Capitol Hill.
Our services to the armed forces provide support to the military, veterans and their families.