American Red Cross Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,949 reviews matching the search
High Turnover For a Reason
Lab Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Immunohematology Lab Charlotte NTLMarch 17, 2016
The Red Cross expects their lab techs to be machinery not people. They want perfect results regardless of experience, staff size, and workload. They give short breaks, low pay, mediocre benefits. In return they want you to have no ideas, no mistakes, no complaints. The shifts have long hours but most of the employees are kind and hardworking. Getting time off is easy because its the only thing the direct supervisors have control of and they understand that everything else sucks. The work isn't bad, but all of the equipment is ancient and there is no budget for replacement. The management is horrible. It seems like upper level positions are given to those who outlast all the rest and stay the longest, instead of people who are good at handling employees and balancing budgets. It soon became clear to me that I was nothing more to them than a pair of hands, cheap to hire and easily replaceable.
Pros
They'll hire workers straight out of college with no experience
Cons
Low pay, high workload, a general sense that you're disposable
Document Review
Collections Document Reviewer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 21, 2016
DO NOT APPLY TO WORK HERE!!!!!!!!!!! Especially in document review (St. Louis). Managers are extremely unprofessional and have NO respect for work/life balance. Red Cross has NO MONEY! Rationing 2 percent annual raises. Departments are being dissolved left and right. To work here is a big RISK!!! Horrible and getting Worse!
Pros
Not much micro managing
Cons
Management, advancement opportunity, raises, pay
Not for someone who has a family
Donor specialist Level 3 (Current Employee) –  Ny PennJanuary 20, 2016
Working here you feel unappreciated your hard work goes unnoticed by management and if you do get advancement you are told to keep It a secret. Horrible management by MY ops manager. Being told I'm wrong or I heard wrong if I have an issue she will lie to your face and as for them covering hours when your drive is cancelled due to weather or any other reason they just won't pay you for it I have worked my tail off for this company for more than 2 years and I no longer feel secure in my job. I am good at my job I love my donors and the stories they open up to you. The organization as a whole is crumbling and I don't think they will ever recover!
Pros
Donor contact
Cons
Poor pay, lunch break not guarenteed, no communication with management, benefits, no home life
Physically and emotionally demanding
Collections Tech/OJI (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 2, 2016
A job as a Collections Tech is very challenging. You are away from home/family at least five days a week and days are long and stressful. In all kinds of weather, plowing through snow and skidding on ice, the blood drive must go on. Management is as sympathetic as they can be as they are driven by national goals that dictate their jobs. The hardest part of the job is the long hours from travel to the drive to the travel to the hotel, often late with few hours of sleep between arrival and leaving the next morning. The most enjoyable part of the job is the donors themselves. They want to be there and for the most part are friendly and conversational. They have a lot of life experiences that they will willingly share if we listen. This is not a job for the faint of heart. It will tax you on all levels. But if you are up for it, it can be very rewarding as well.
Pros
Meeting people, working with good people
Cons
long hours, short breaks, physically and emotionally demanding
Fun work place
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 14, 2016
Typical day of work consisted of getting up and driving to our main Red Cross center and taking one of the Red Cross vehicles to the site where blood mobile was being held. Management was wonderful, pay and benefits are great! Hardest part of the job would have to be the scheduling which isn't your regular 9-5p job. Your schedule varies each day as far as getting up early to leave for work one day and the next leaving later on. If you have children it's hard because sometimes you work a blood drive that is 3 hours away from your home location. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you are apart of helping save lives. I found pride in my job knowing I was contributing to helping save a life. I loved meeting new people and hearing their stories.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short breaks
Excellent mission
collection supervisor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 8, 2016
Excellent mission with human service outreach. Hard working employees and volunteers. Long hours, management needs to come out of office and be in the street. Lack of concern . No appreciation.
Pros
good benefits- human service
Cons
long hours- pay- lack of appreciation-favoritism-no advancement
Goal oriented environment & company that is all about people & their overall mission.
Hospital Services Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 12, 2016
I have been working at the American Red Cross for about five years and I enjoy that what I do everyday makes a difference to many people across the city, state, and even the nation. A work environment with friendly people who understand the goal of the company. Also knowing that all departments and people involved play a part in the company.
Pros
Good starting pay, benefits, room for advancement.
Good pay and customer base!
Customer Service/Telecruiter (Former Employee) –  Gretna, NEMarch 13, 2016
Cut throat, Rude, mean employees for the most part. Management that was good have mostly left since they have gone "For Profit". I was able to work with some awesome employees and supervisors my first part of my employment there but then they began to do the switch over and good folks were fired or quit.
Pros
money, insurance and bonuses
Cons
everyone was pressured to get high numbers and it was rapidly turning into a "spin and burn" job.
Employee satisfaction and morale is low
Disaster Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 12, 2015
The mission work is ceiticle to the community. The atmoshere and culture hase been in decline for the past 10 years. The chance for advanmcement is low. The organization is not solvent enough to gic\ve performace or cost of living raises each year.
Middle Management does not support front line supervision.
Pros
Clients are well served
Cons
Poor salary, no advancement oppertunities
Mission oriented
Director of Training & Workforce Management (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 5, 2016
The American Red Cross likes to spend donor money on lavish hotels, cars, etc.
Management will act nice to your face and then back stab you.
The Red Cross is a big marketing and fundraising machine that gives little back to the victims.
Volunteers are getting stuck doing all the work that paid staff is suppose to do.
Must be on-call 24/7 if you are the Disaster Program Manager even if you are on vacation.
Benefits and Salary are pretty high and well for paid staff positions.
Pros
Work to help others in need
Cons
Spend money on junk and give little back to victims
great!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHMarch 8, 2016
I started volunteering at the red cross in Highschool for the disaster relief group. After our organizer left, my friend and I started a club in highschool which won an award and where I trained all of the members in CPR. We raised 900 dollars towards the Haiti effort. I was the youngest instructor in New England (16-18).
A very special place to work
AV SPECIALIST/SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2015
When I first started at the Red Cross, honestly I wanted to quit but my father didn't raise a quitter. When I arrived the AV was horrible. It was very outdated and failing. Only thing I was told was to make it work. So I did, which included troubleshooting on a daily basis, coordinating the repair of the existing out of date systems, and placing band-aids where needed. For most of my tenure at the Red Cross, about 98% of the meetings were in conformance. It takes a special employee to work at the American Red Cross. Customer Service is #1 no exceptions. I am 1 of 2 that have been here for 9 1/2 years so I've seen over 20 employees that couldn't handle the special environment and either left or requested to be removed.
Pros
Coordinating meetings with high ranking officials, making great relationships, learned about being Humanitarian from professionals, working with a great team
Cons
bad management, by being a contractor some information is not shared with you, I haven't had a raise in 7 years
Great place to work. But no job security
manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2016
I loved working at the Red Cross, I believe in the mission and love what we do. However, management is always changing and there is no job security. Non-profits pay nothing and you work hard for very little pay.
Fast paced
Donor Collection Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 15, 2016
when I got there in 2008 it was a great place to work with great benefits.
Then it started going downhill along with moral.
Pros
going to different places working with different people
Cons
A lot of driving to different places, Management sucks
Altruistic Working Environment
Manager of Tele-recruitment and Direct Mail (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 24, 2016
High-volume scheduling activity from existing blood and platelet donor data base. Loyal and dedicated management team with FDA regulations for donor data base integrity and process management. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing every day that our tireless efforts saved lives. Many team members were donors or recipients or personally knew someone who benefitted from the donation of a blood product. The hardest part of the job was maintaining donor scheduler motivation.
Pros
Altruism - We knew that we helped save lives
Cons
Public apathy - people feel someone else will donate
Had a very great experience working to save lives.
Specialist II, Apheresis Tech (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 6, 2015
I have decided to move on to bigger and better places. I had no time to spend with my family. I was recently moved to a different department where there was no room for advancement.
Pros
Loyal co-workers. Loved my donors
Cons
Long hours (13hr days) management change.
Recieve product in daily, break down the product so that we can extract and distribute product using CGMP.
Manufacturing Tech (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 24, 2015
Upon first arriving, my expectations were high and I was very excited to work at the Red Cross. But after years of working there you begin to see that not everything is as it seems there. Everyone always wants to pry into your personal life, anything that is said to management eventually gets outed to line staff and other shifts, They are constantly reminding you about what you did wrong, they express how they strive for teamwork and synergy but that only applies to certain people. Certain shifts are made to work harder then other shifts, Training staff in incompetent and does not do a good job setting you up for success.
Pros
Get experience in line manufacturing
Cons
Poor Management, poor staff, Poor hours, terrible benefits, Pay is not worth the level of work and stress.
Interesting, always active place to work.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Green Cove Springs, FLApril 1, 2016
The American Red Cross is a wonderful organization. They help so many people, you can't even put a number to how many.

A typical day at work is going in, getting my computer up, checing emails and Volunteer Connection, especially checking for emails from the Chapter office. Also from the Fire Marshall for smoke alarm installations.

Filing to help out the Emergency Operations Center as well as my own, keeping records and sending reports to Chapter office, keep records of numbers of people contacted.

Calling organizations; Senior Citizen Center and Schools to set up appointments to do presentations for hazard preparedness. The presentations are to prepare the communities for fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Then I contact the Volunteers to do the presentations.

I also participate in classes/training for such disasters with the EOC.

Hardest part is not having enough Volunteers. Most enjoyable is working with the Volunteers. They are wonderful, caring, passionate people.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches, pot luck dinners
Cons
No health care, no benefits
The Humanitarian Mission and the Volunteers Who Serve
Major Gifts Officer (Former Employee) –  Corning, NYApril 6, 2016
The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross Movement, which provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies.

I have worked alongside some of the most selfless volunteers you will meet at any organization. Volunteers who work tirelessly to fulfill this mission by making themselves available 24 hours a day.

I have had the opportunity to work with disaster, fundraising and Services to the Armed Forces volunteers. Each of them brings a passion to the Red Cross for what they do.

Often, I would see these volunteers in our office regularly working on new trainings, implementing strategic plans and serving our community by helping a family who just lost everything. I aspire to be more like them in my daily life.

I have had some of the most rewarding experiences working with Red Cross serving alongside our volunteers to send off troops, hug a fire client and sadly, laying our lost soldiers to rest.

That said, I have been through four restructures as everyday business has been streamlined. I am concerned for a presence in our communities which has caused a distrust for Red Cross causing volunteers to leave and confusion with our emergency management folks and local government. Those relationships are crucial to not only serving our community but being able to raise the dollars to support the mission.

Red Cross is working to rebuild those relationships through dedicated volunteers
  more... and the Executive Directors. There seems to be some excellent progress in that direction.

I left Red Cross for a family health issue and it is my intention to become employed once again with Red Cross. I will always be a lifelong volunteer.
The organization is highly unstable due to poor planning and antiquated leadership.
HR (Former Employee) –  MultipleOctober 20, 2015
Most positions have flexible work arrangements but the senior leadership and regional leadership is not the best. Most have either moved up the ranks over the years or obtained positions by knowing the "right" person. Poor decision making and lack of respect for employees at all levels has caused the organization's morale to suffer. Recognition is non-existent. Salaries are low even for non-profit. The opportunity for advancement is slim to none unless you "politic" well and brown nose. For these reasons turnover is extremely high and job security is very low.
Pros
Flexible Work Arrangements
Cons
Instability/Lack of Job Security, Poor Management, Low Salaries, Few Advancement Opportunities, etc