American Samoa Power Authority Employee Reviews

It's a good place to work - learned a lot.
Lead Billing Representative (Current Employee) –  Pago Pago, ASDecember 25, 2016
The hardest part of the job are the long long hours and trying not to take any complaints personal. But there are a lot of nepotism and favoritism from management.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
management
work force and fitness program every morning to motivate employees.
Water Treatment Plant/Distribution System Operator (Former Employee) –  Pago Pago, ASSeptember 7, 2016
everyday is a good day at work, learned a lot from each other. good and fair management, co-workers working together as a team. hardest part of the job is satisfying customers needs, enjoyable moments when you receive an award for hard working.
Pros
free lunch when we have clean-up around the island
Cons
dental care, eye care, and health care benefits
Remote island with logistic issues
Level IV Water System DRC Operator (Former Employee) –  Pago Pago, ASJanuary 12, 2017
No fun Sunday tropical island. Taboo to swim in the ocean on Sundays. Water temp. is 85 F year round. Dogs breed wild and bite people all the time. 62% of all ER visits are due to dog bites.
Pros
easy going
Cons
remote
Productive and Safe Working Enviroment
Mechanic 1 (Former Employee) –  Pago Pago, ASOctober 18, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting covered in grease and getting my hands dirty coming in and working together side by side with Supervisors and the whole crew to get the engine running again right away and start supplying elec/Power Throughout the Beautiful Island Of American Samoa.
Best Government Entity to work for
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tāfuna, ASJuly 14, 2016
ASPA is a wonderful place to work with a great compensation and benefits package that cannot be matched anywhere on island!
Productive place where employee builds healthy relationship with their employer.
LMC Crew (Former Employee) –  TafunaMarch 23, 2015
My job has taught me to accept unexpected challenges. I learned to make quick and accurate solutions to problems that happened at the working area. Throughout my 7 years in ASPA, I have build a good relationship with my co-workers which benefits the company. The hardest part of the job is meeting the needs of our customers as well as our employer. The most enjoyable part of the job is when our department usually have our meeting on every Monday where we all gather to discuss unfinished work, exchange of appreciation with the manager, and a little bit of humor. I left my position as a Electrical/Mechanic Foremen because I wanted to extend my knowledge in Trades field it was hard to leave, but for the love of my family I must seek a better life for them.
Pros
Free trainings
Aspa
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Tafuna, AsDecember 3, 2014
A day at work would be to check on our network and respond to trouble calls with user issues. Management is by far the greatest of my employed career. I have the best co-workers anyone could ask for. Learning new technologies very so often is a challenge, but grateful for the opportunity.
Working on American Samoa is boring
Level IV Water System DRC Operator (Former Employee) –  Pago Pago, ASJanuary 9, 2015
I have worked for the American Samoa Power Authority for 3 years. English is not the primary language so you will always feel like an outsider. Speed limit on entire island is 25 mph and you will get a ticket for going 30 mph. It is Taboo to swim or scuba dive on Sunday. ASPA will make decisions based on politics not science of regulation with little concern about the actual safety of the drinking water distributed to the customers.
Pros
Slow paced life style
Cons
Slow paced life style with few entertainment opportunities
A very challenging company to work for. One of it's many priorities are employee benefits, staff development is a plus.
PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Tafuna, American SamoaSeptember 16, 2015
I was blessed to have had worked with the American Samoa Power Authority for 13 years within the Water Division. During my time there I was able to learn and attain a lot of skills that I am able to apply in a new corporation/company. I was also able to become a licensed Water Distribution System Operator Level 2. The working environment is awesome. You are able to rely on your co-workers knowing that they will not let you down. The hardest part of the job is keeping up because it is a fast paced working environment. It keeps you on your toes.
I had alot of fun working there plus it helped me become smarter
AutoCAD Tech. (Former Employee) –  Pago Pago, ASMay 15, 2012
Working at ASPA was one of the best times I can pick out of my memories. I have learned alot of Technical skills such as computers and Engineering. Through AutoCAD, Land Surveying and G.I.S. I have been one of the most important people on the job. I got to know my co-workers closely and had spent alot of BBQ after work. I have no regrets working there. There was no other Job on the Island i was more comfortable with. The hardest part of working is waking up in the morning. I believe that is about it. We was always a team player. Nothing kept us from giving up. There were bumps but it didn't stop the work load. The most enjoyable part of the job is break or lunch time. It is when we all got to sit down and enjoy a meal and share thoughts. ASPA is more about Family. Its the SAMOAN way.
Pros
family talk or sharring thoughts
Great place to work and ways to know more about the law.
METER SHOP SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  PAGO PAGOJune 29, 2015
I was an office clerk and got to know more about the law, mostly knowing my rights. To know more about the law you should be a good example of abiding with the law and be an honest citizen.
drug free, friendly people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Pagopago ASJuly 19, 2013
i work 5 days a week, i learned a lot from this job, i do service orders, answer phone and transfer calls, and data entry.
my co-workers are friendly people, they helped me a lot.
i love to work in different department and serve the people of the community.