American Savings Bank

American Savings Bank Employer Reviews

Fun, productive, friendly place to work!
Teller I (Former Employee), Kīhei, HIDecember 13, 2014
Pros: friendly, pay, compensation
Cons: disgruntled customers
Each day would start by unlocking cash cans and getting everything set for customers to enter the branch. We made sure we had our papers for transactions and pens ready to work. Management was great. They took interest in our lives and making sure we got to our goals to where we wanted to be in our careers. Co-workers there were great as well. Some of my closest friends came from working at the bank. The hardest part of the job was making sure customers left okay with their status of their accounts. Most enjoyable would be the friendships and networking that came from getting to know your clients.
Best place to work
Personal Banker/Teller-II (Current Employee), Honolulu, HISeptember 9, 2014
Best Place to work. Great teammates and the management is awesome!
Loved working here, wish we didn't have to move
Personal Banker (Former Employee), Waipahu, HIAugust 10, 2014
I really loved this bank. This was the 4th financial institution I had the pleasure of working for this past decade, and it was by far the most employee-oriented. Customer service was important, but happy employees was also on the minds of the executives. Rated 5 years in a row as one of the best places to work in Hawaii and it was well deserved.
Great Place to Work
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Mililani Town, HIJuly 1, 2014
Great place to work. I started with no previous banking experience. They we an awesome company that trained me and provided a lot of insight to banking.
Overall the work environment is ok
Teller (Former Employee), Hilo, HIJune 25, 2014
Pros: the customers
Cons: understaffed.
It does not matter who you work for, in the end, it is all about the people you get to serve; the customers.
Fun, entertaining enviorment, and positive management.
Bank-Teller (Former Employee), Yonkers, New YorkJune 10, 2014
Pros: nice kitchen
Cons: bank went under
A career, one would enjoy going to work. Positive management, free career instructions, and the most enjoyable atmosphere. Learned to
help our local commerce enjoy, doing daily transactions, as well as participate in local events.
Nice place to work at,friendly environment
Teller (Former Employee), Waipahu, HIMay 22, 2014
Pros: free luches on fridays
The company provided a good training for new employees.Good benefits,birthday leave,generous paid time off and a very nice place to work.All employees I worked with were all awesome.
Comaraderie/ Education/ Top-notch Customer Service
Loan Servicing Clerk (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: culture & educational support
Cons: some middle management.
Miss working at American Savings Bank! Worked with a great crew and always felt appreciated/ supported in my endeavor to provide great customer service. HR knew their stuff.
Productive and fun place to work
Operations Manager I (Former Employee), Honolulu, HINovember 24, 2013
Pros: going home on time
Cons: staffing
On a typical day work flow is easy so you get to go home on time. I've gained a lot of experience working in a financial institution in operation for more than 20+ year starting as a regular teller and challenging myself with management. I have worked with wonderful people that works so hard and pickup where we need help the most. The hardest part is trying to bring up morals and dealing with personal ups and downs of the staff. Gaining a lot of knowledge with in the financial institution and working with a great staff.
Great people and work environment.
Customer Banking Representative (Former Employee), Call CenterNovember 7, 2013
Pros: paid time off upfront.
Cons: work schedule can include weekends and late nights.
I worked in the Customer Banking Center. The initial training was a bit overwhelming but worth sticking it out. Everyone was friendly and very welcoming. The company has good benefits but the base pay could be better.
An average functional enviorment.
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIOctober 25, 2013
There was a couple and couple of their dogs that would come in to do their banking. Majority of the time they weren't so pleasant. Two hours into closing they came in, there was a line and there was a female who fears dogs. She kindly moved to the side and the male of that couple became hostile. He accused her for discriminating them and their dogs. Because both branch manager and assistant branch manager wasn't available to dispute the conflict I stepped in to defuse the situation. I've learned that being the next in charge takes a lot of courage to stand up to defuse the situation. But I managed to reach the couple by separating them and placing them into a separate room to resolve the issue. The enjoyable part of that day was that the people who were in there doing their banking was very supportive and waited to make sure that the area was in good hands and that the staff and I was safe. Understanding both worker and customer and their point of views really took me to a level of adapting to your surroundings and getting to know your customers and whom ever you come into contact with. Addressing the situation, defusing the situation, solving the situation, leaving with satisfaction is my philosophy. Both branch manager and assistant manager trained us well in knowing your customer and knowing how to keep a functional environment.
Management is great
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Middletown, OHOctober 1, 2013
Pros: great enviroment to work in
Working for American Savings Bank was a great learning experience, the people I worked with became my best friends and management was great very easy to work for.
Loved being a teller!!!
Teller (Former Employee), Waipahu, HISeptember 22, 2013
Pros: great job
Cons: selling new products to same customers over and over again...
My co-workers was awesome and caring. Office atmosphere was the best I ever had. Loved everything about my position except for my pay rate and the selling of new products opportunities to the same customers over and over again...
Clerical Office Staff
Consumer Loan Servicing Clerk (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIAugust 1, 2013
Pros: great staffing company to help secure a permanent job
As a temporary clerical office staff, made sure I was available as instructed, and following simple detailed directions.
Horrible Experience
Bank Teller I (Former Employee), Kaneohe, HIJune 26, 2013
The management was nit picky and the staff was not supportive to a new trainee. I broke down in tears many times. Not worth it.
great lifestyle and balance program
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Mililani Town, HIJune 23, 2013
Pros: people, location
Cons: must have financial profit for company as ultimate goal
Answer inbound calls, in a call center. Great management and fun days at work.
American Savings Bank is one of the Best Places to Work
Customer Service Online Specialist (Current Employee), Mililani Town, HIApril 16, 2013
Pros: vacation
American Savings Bank is rated one of the Best Places to Work because they really take care of their employees. Throughout my years of experience with American Savings Bank I've learned how to provide excellent customer service to both external and internal customers. In Management I've learned about the overall goals of what is expected in the call center also how to coach and mentor representatives,interviewing new hires and evaluating representatives for their annual performance appraisals.The hardest part of the job for me is the commute to and from work. The most enjoyable part of my job is everyone like "family" and we all work together as a team and support one another.
Great people, poor operation.
teller I (Current Employee), Big Island, HawaiiMarch 20, 2013
Pros: immediate benefits for full-time employees, good co-workers
Cons: no breaks, no team dynamic, poor management, low morale
-Zero recognition for anything, unless you sell home equity loans. Nevermind actually working with customers to solve problems and providing excellent customer service.
-Lowest company morale I've ever seen. When four of the seven tellers on the line are looking for alternate employment, that should say something.
-Management is pretty awful with scheduling. Said they'd be able to work around any schedule, but they slip into martyr mode when they actually have to do it. They want you to schedule your PTO for the entire YEAR before March, and tell you you're "cheating the system" when you take unscheduled time off (this includes sick time).

I will say that the people here are wonderful, driven, charismatic, caring individuals. But in the context of a working environment, values get twisted and it just doesn't work out. The job itself carries a LOT of responsibility, and is easy enough once you've learned the ropes, but management is terrible and repressive, at least at this branch.
Great company, customer always top of mind
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee), New Britain, CTDecember 12, 2012
Pros: great people, great management, great work life balance
Cons: size of company was always an issue for a takeover, which it finally was by td banknorth in 2003
Typical day involved market research, data analysis, focus group planning, response analysis, profitability model building, committee meetings, technology steering input, and continually trying to improve technology from a marketing standpoint in order to improve product development, customer experience, profitability.
THE BANK WAS SOLD TO WASHINGTON MUTUAL BANK.
Regional Appraisal Mgr (Former Employee), Irvine, CA (Main office) Van Nuys, CA.October 7, 2012
Cons: see above
THE BANK MANAGEMENT WAS DISHONEST IN THEIR PROMISES TO EMPLOYEES.
THEY PROMOTED THEIR "BUDDIES" TO MANAGEMENT POSITIONS AND DEMOTED HONEST ONES.

About American Savings Bank

We collect, maintain, and use information about you on a routine basis in order to offer you the financial services and products – Read more