AMERICAN SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Field trips with students, lunch with students sometimes
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJuly 29, 2015
I found it enjoyable to work with the students. At times, it was rough due to different personality. I really learned a lot how to deal with them during my years with them.
Pros
Free coffee and meals daily except weekends
Cons
none whatsoever
Great place to work pay is great people are great student are awesome really learn to love them.
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMay 13, 2015
Typical day consist of DLS(daily living skills) alot of dorm time hanging out helping individual student to mange his behaviors.
Pros
free lunches great pay awesome vacation benefits
Cons
mess up checks alot inconsistant management
Excellent School
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMay 30, 2015
Great school for deaf or hard of hearing students. Beautiful new building with specious classrooms. Staff is friendly, compassionate, and experienced. Excellent place to work and study.
Very productive person
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hartford, ConnecticutSeptember 15, 2012
It's a great environment for those who love math. I learn the value of keeping accuracy of all work as part of the goal to strive for. I also learn the importance of team work and collaborating with other individuals to make sure that all information are true and nothing is false. From working with my co-workers, it was fun because we deal with several different personality, yet we come together to meet ends with a great success. In fact, when we all work together as a team, the hardest part cease and us all working together makes life easier and enjoyable.
Pros
offered free lunches
Cons
work there only the summers of 2009, 2010, 2011
A good cultural setting for students who are deaf to build their communicational needs
Student Teacher (Intern) (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTApril 11, 2013
The school provides for students from early childhood to high school. It is a great environment for the students to learn and build their language skills. However, the management is poor. I barely informed of the school events. My principal was absent during my internship without notice and she was supposed to supervise me. The most difficult part of the job was keeping up with the events of the school. The enjoyable part was just interacting with the students overall.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
poor management
Good job environment to work with the students
ASSISTANT DEAN OF STUDENTS (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTDecember 11, 2013
Need more structure in working the the programs in lieu with the students BSP and collaborate more with the staff on implementation of rules and regulations.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJuly 11, 2014
great place to work. Deaf world is a very friendly, and the ability to learn sign language is really great
Pros
free breakfast lunch and dinner
Cons
layoffs
Great Level II Fieldwork experience
Level II Fieldwork (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMay 21, 2013
Provided OT to students at the school with hearing loss as well as other physical disabilities.

Want to know more about AMERICAN SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF?

Ask a question