American Senior Communities Employee Reviews in United States

Good company to work for
Dietary Cook (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INMay 6, 2016
Been with ASC for 4 years,I have tried working for other companies I always come back to ASC. People who complain about this company should move on. If you are doing your job you will have no problems,one thing they will not tolerate is incomptence. The facilities are very clean and the rooms have high end furnishings.We are there for the residents so many people can't get that. If you are not receiving all the perks this company offers that is your adminstrater's fault.
Pros
Appreciation for a job well done
Cons
Stay away from this god awful company!!!
Confidential (Former Employee) –  IndianaMarch 12, 2016
I expressed my concerns about unethical practices BEFORE the CEO's Mansion & ASC's Home Office were RAIDED by the FBI, OIG, Fraud Control Unit & God knows who else!
They do unethical maneuvers to increase reimbursement/star ratings.
I refused to falsify information...I don't look good in Orange!
Pros
Absolutely Nothing!
Cons
Everything---ASC is an absolute Nightmare!
Awful place for employees and residents
Charge Nurse/Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Avon, INApril 19, 2016
Every day was a nightmare. 27 patients/nurse. One CNA for 20-27 patients. Patients were miserable. DON staffed the facility very low so she could make a higher bonus.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management
Typical Nursing home
LPN (Former Employee) –  Ligonier, INFebruary 9, 2016
The management is the biggest problem. I think there needs to be more corporate involvement. Management gets perks like shirts but it causes an even bigger wedge and encourages the "US vs. Them" mentality. Pay is substandard. They do make sure the facility is clean.
a typical day at work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 21, 2015
management does as little as possible and doesn't really be a team player like the rest of the CNA's have to be. the CNA do so much work but get paid so little. then nurses act and talk to the cna's like they are 10x better then the rest of us that they can and will rule you. tell any of the management staff and its almost like high school all over again. one thing did come out of it working under these situations, you know who works and who doesn't work as hard as anyone else. then you become so close to the residents you work with and their families that when they pass away its really heartbreaking. overall i love being a cna because i have such a feeling of overwhelming helpfulness i want to do nothing but help others with any obstacles they may have as much as ability as i have and can work with that person.
Doing what you love
Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 3, 2016
Typical day involves tending to resident needs. Act as liaison
between DON and ED. Scheduling staff can be overwhelming at times.
Pros
Doing what you love
Cons
Stressful at time
great
certified nursing assistant (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INMay 16, 2016
nice place to work. great team work. co-workers are great. best part of the job is the residents. every one is wiling to help.
Overall positive experience
Volunteer Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 27, 2015
It was fun to interact with the employees and the residents while I volunteered at Allisonville Meadows. This was also a rewarding experience, giving me skills that I'll need to use in future workplaces. The best parts were conducting activities and talking to the residents.
Pros
Earning necessary skills, Rewarding
Cons
Location was far
Horrible Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, INMarch 10, 2016
This facility went through many changes of ownership, but the same problems persisted: poor management, little to no care about the residents, poor treatment of staff, and overall unprofessional atmosphere.

Managers rarely wanted the input of lower level staff and made them feel as if they were unimportant to the facility operations. They liked to look and feel important, but not get involved in the daily tasks or help out their departments. Corporate was a joke, only giving power to those with no idea how to use or manage authority.

CNAs were grossly underpaid and overall facility raises were 2% - I didn't even get an entire dollar raise after being there three years and being responsible for 3-4 different roles. They'd spend a few thousand dollars a month to give out cookies and donuts in the community to "market", but threw a fit if the activity department went over their $150/month budget and RARELY spent anything on the employees unless they felt obligated.

This place was a joke - run far and fast.
Pros
Friendly staff, residents, fulfilling job
Cons
Management, nepotism, terrible benefits, low wages
managment
Assistant MCF (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 6, 2016
Poor management experience. Not a clean environment, Just a overall bad experience. I worked fulltime as a MCF assistant and was dissatisfied with all management
Pros
wages
Cons
managment
facility overview
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 29, 2015
a place to start if your career in the healthcare facility in order to further your goals within the medical field. Respectful environment, fast paced, and understanding individuals
Pros
purchase of power
Very open and accepting work place where people agree to help and support each other.
Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 27, 2015
I have worked PRN for this company for 3 years now. I have worked in several different facilities in the Indianapolis and Evansville areas and have been pleased with almost all of them. The staff is very helpful and they care about their patients.
Pros
Many facilities to do PRN work for.
Cons
Not many opportunities for advancement.
I cannot recommend working here
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  IndianaOctober 12, 2015
I would not put a loved one at any ASC building. Money trumps all at expense of employees and patients. I can't speak for other companies. This was a terrible company to work for.
Pros
Patients
Changes
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Zionsville, INJune 5, 2015
I learned a lot about Assisted Living here. I spent most of my career in hospitals so this was my first job in Assisted Living. I actually feel more like a nurse here than I did at the hospital. I get to have more of an everyday impact on the people I take care of and have found myself feeling protective of them.
The facility is undergoing a lot of changes in management and structurally.
I believe American Senior Communities is a good place to work for as there are a lot of different facilities you can work in. However, Zionsville Meadows still has a lot of changing to do, which they are working on.
Pros
The Residents, My boss and the people I work with.
Cons
The upper management and an old building.
Don't walk...RUN
QMA (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INMay 20, 2015
This is for Betz aka Dekalb Health in Auburn, IN.
The staff and management is rude and hateful. The management expects you to work ungodly hours and then expects more from you. They don't accept you having a family, appointments, or a life. They love to deny vacations unless you are their butt kissing favorites.
The benefits for American Senior Community is fine unless you need to add a spouse or family then they'll take your whole check.
I do not recommend this place to my worse enemy because it is that bad!! I made it 2 months there and don't know how the doors stay open or people put their family in there!!!!
Pros
The single person benefits
Cons
Everything else
working to pay bills. taking care of residents.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, INSeptember 8, 2015
riverview village is bad don't work there? oh at first when i started there it was good but that place has went down hills.
great residents
CNA (Former Employee) –  Indpls, INSeptember 14, 2015
The Residents will steal your heart. The Residents will always let you know how your doing and if you're treating them right.
Terrible place to work! !!!
CNA (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville INFebruary 12, 2015
Hillcrest Village is the worst place I have ever worked at . Management is a joke and could care less about staff or residents. All they care about is money. The staff is a ghetto and lazy. The building is disgusting and you never have supplies. I literally had to clean someone once with a pillow case!!! Do not work here if you consider yourself a hard working individual who actually cares about residents you will hate it!!!
Cons
everything
Most importance of American Seniors Communities
Resident Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2015
I moved to Indianapolis in 2014 of December , I had a contract with a staffing company I ve works constantly.I got told there was a contract. so I move here due to a continuing contract. But findiing there were not contract in Indianapolis not to say I question all this before I left .Okay so my friend tell me about American Senior Communities and how they are all over the city so there were not a reason for me to believe that i would not get a Job. well I got three kids to support and get here theres no work so I applied recieved and job still working since I ve been I even transfered from one facility to another.using communication and paperwork. It is very important factual points at asc it factual and punctual.
Pros
tranferable
Cons
there every where
This was the worst experience of my life.
Still haven't figured that one out. (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, IndianaSeptember 22, 2015
Worked at Canterbury under Extendicare. When interviewing was given a job description. None of what I was allowed to do was even in line with that. Not allowed to do your job and no resources to do the job. Management should have been changed over with the take over. Stayed locked in offices, unapproachable, and absolutely no clue what is going on with the residents. Low morale amongst employees, not willing to step outside their zone to help each other = horrible patient care... Horrible meal times because help would fight over who had to take care of residents in lunch room. (This certainly was not a business run like a business) Went through 4 administrators in the 5 months I was there. When change over happened certainly would have liked to have seen a clean up in the right direction. Sadly it didn't happen. I felt horrible leaving the residents (who were totally awesome people) they are certainly entitled to so much more than they are getting... They have voices and they need to be heard. Also staff was unheard and belittled, possibly part of the reason they really didn't Care.
Pros
Resident interaction.. Many of the floor staff were in it for the right reason.
Cons
leadership.. The staff that was in it for the wrong reasons.

2.7