American SHOWA, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

ok place to work, not near where it used to be.
Section Head /Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHMarch 19, 2016
This company really fell behind with its management decisions in the last ten years. There were a few managers that were only in it for themselves. Good thing is that they are no longer with the company. Good group of associates there.
Pros
Many good employees.
Cons
Management had some big issues that have been taken care of for the most part.
Showa had the greatest benefits and had a consistant work ethic
DCM Operator (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHFebruary 18, 2016
Coming to work was like any other job not wanting to come to work or wanting to go home when you get there to the fact of knowing you know you had to be doing the same thing every single day so to that point it was pretty overwhelming. But overall the job was pretty set forward. I learned a lot about the robots and how the dies work and pretty much the whole process of what the parts have to go thru to get shipped out the door and how to run a 1.3 million machine. The management wasn't the best that is there downfall that don't have a set standard when it comes to quality. Especially on 3rd shift they have no quality inspector until you pretty much ran all the the way thru the end of your shift. So all that responsibility fell back on you which I didn't have a problem with it just kept you on your toes. And they never had a set role for getting associates certified on each machine due to the fact that every associate that got on 3rd we kept losing so we had just enough staff to get things together. So there was so room for certification because no one was able to cover your machine for training purposes. The hardest part of the job in my eyes would have to be not being able to get certified on my machine so I can move somewhere else and gain experience. Also not being able to nick the parts because when your running two parts at 51 seconds each and they're telling you to hit certain parts of the parts and they add stuff to you over time, when your already having a hard time keeping up its really hard not to nick parts up with your file. Then another hard part is this cleaning  more... policy they had to follow 6S which is a cleaning policy which each zone had to follow. You had to make sure your machine was cleaned by a certain time when you got oil, metal, and water everywhere and your leaving the building wondering if you left your machine in a decent condition for the next shift. Because working on 3rd every other shift would slack on there cleaning because they know there shift would get seen by an auditor.  less
Pros
Free Lunches, Amazing benefits, Great associates, Long Breaks
Cons
Management, No quality standard, Lack of associates, poor training
Decent Pay
Machine Technician (Current Employee) –  Blanchester, ohOctober 9, 2015
This company pays decently for the area they are located in. They do not treat employees equally or fairly when opening new positions.
Not A Good Job
Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHSeptember 1, 2015
They didn't communicate with management had no idea how to do anything.HR had no idea how the employees where expected to do your work no matter of the health risk you where taking.
working here is an experience
General Associate (Current Employee) –  Blanchester OHAugust 26, 2015
I have learned a lot while working at this job. Working with others, working on my own and being responsible for my own time and production, and leading a team toward established goals. There are a wide range of people who work there, and it makes it a very interesting environment.
Fast paced
Machine Technician (Former Employee) –  BlanchesterAugust 19, 2015
Fast paced job, lots of movements inside the plant. Worked on several lines in the same night. Lots of over time. Enjoyed my coworkers.
Great place to work with good pay
Casting Technician (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHAugust 13, 2015
A lot of opportunity for job advancement, great pay and great benefits, a lot of extras for the associates like, Christmas bonuses, trips to Kings Island, etc..
wish i never left
Production line operator (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OHAugust 4, 2015
although it was hard work it was pretty simple stuff. i was lucky enough to have gotten an awesome boss (Rick McDonald) and a whole line of amazing co-workers we were like one big family.
good place to work
o Sticker application (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHJuly 23, 2015
beg. of shift meeting. power steering assembly. well managed. many co workers/friends. extreme heat in casting. company cookouts.
Pros
raises and benefits
Cons
air quality / heat
Good work, TERRIBLE Management
High Pressure Casting Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHAugust 14, 2014
Worked in the foundry. Hard, hot work to say the least, but to be expected. Good pay, good benefits. Expected to work 7 days a week, mandatory overtime. The worst managed work place I have ever been in.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
every thing besides pay, benefits, and the work itself was unacceptable.
overall loved it!!!
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHAugust 5, 2014
Best place ever to work, friendly co-workers, good management, great pay for the job being done
Close to home
Section Head Manager (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHApril 24, 2014
Started off good and ended bad....they need to listen to their employee's more.
Great Place
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OHJanuary 24, 2014
Working for American Showa was a good experience for me. It was very fast paced and very demanding. At times it was long hours and 6 to 7 days a week. But it wasn't always like that there were slower times where you only worked 8 hours a day and 5 to 6 days a week. The pay was excellent and the benefits are outstanding!! It is run by the Japanese and very strict in the way things are done and what is expected as far as quality. High standards are very important. I enjoyed working there and enjoyed the people I worked with and worked for. The line leaders and supervisors were always there and not afraid to jump in and help if they were needed it was a team effort. The hardest part had to be the long hours and fast pace but the people I worked with made it enjoyable and we all made it through.
Pros
excellent benefits, paid shutdown twice a year, free holiday dinners
Cons
long hours and fast pace
watch your back
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OHSeptember 10, 2013
I got fired and didn't see it coming. I was the scapegoat for a project that went over budget and didn't turn out as planned.
A great place to work. It allowed me to provide a comfortable life for my family.
Forklift Operator Shipping (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OHAugust 26, 2013
I worked mostly third shift so that either my husband or I could always be at home with our children. I have made many life long friends. My job was very fast paced and required the ability to prioritize and multitask. I enjoyed interacting with many different people on a daily basis.
Pros
many great friends. pay
Cons
healthcare.
Overtime Central
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHAugust 19, 2013
This place was Overtime Central and I ended my job when I moved out of state
A very fast co workers paced and demanding place to work. Good
shipping associate (Current Employee) –  Sunbury, OHFebruary 28, 2013
it is a very fast paced to work in. Very demanding and and on the go. Co workers are great to work with. I have learned alot about the automotive industry.
Pros
great insurance
Cons
dont get your breaks all the time and very stressful
learned how to run a cnc machine
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHFebruary 25, 2013
i go in clock in then go get my part write in my booklet then get started. grab one of my parts put it my machine then program it then , then repeat
the hardest was working 7 days a week gets old
making good money for an 18 yr old
Pros
good money
Cons
7 days a week
Great Benefits
Admin (Current Employee) –  SunburyFebruary 15, 2013
Fast paced manufacturing environment. Focus is on safety & the customer. Management tries to make a balance for associate friendly culture.
Pros
great benefits, nice amount of time off - including shutdown (extended time off during christmas & 4th of july)
Cons
if you like a fast paced, manufacturing environment it's a great place to work.
Decent Place to work,
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OhioSeptember 28, 2012
After working there 18 + years, upper management could not come to any concensus on decisions that would affect major programs going forward. One director was obnoxious and could not keep his decision making process on target. He was always changing his mind during evaluation meetings.
Pros
great benefits, decent pay
Cons
could not make a definitive decision

4.2