American SHOWA, Inc. Employee Reviews

American Showa Review
Machining Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Blanchester, OHDecember 31, 2016
The company is stable but because it has many seasoned "home grown" management employees and had some difficult years in the past there is very little enthusiasm for real change and change is needed.
Good place to work for the area.
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  960 Cherry StreetOctober 9, 2016
Work environment is an open area with many people, so there is not much privacy.
Daily routine is comfortable, although month end is quite hectic.
Coworkers are generally friendly and work well together.
Management does a fairly good job of keeping things together.
The hardest part of the job is getting people to communicate.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being trusted to be able to do your job.
Borderline Unethical Treatment and Biased Professionalism
Associatte (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHSeptember 23, 2016
Certain members of management create a hostile work environment based on individual pettiness instead of actually promoting teamwork.
Improper managerial conduct and un professionalism is overlooked.
Following proper procedures to address unethical or unprofessional conduct of managers is futile and often ends in the person filing the complaint treated worse and usually ends in resignation or termination.
Pros
Excellent Benefits & Competitive wages
Cons
Managers, HR, perpetuators of unprofessional, borderline unethical treatment.
Culture is a challenge
Associate (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OHSeptember 20, 2016
Benefits are top notch.
Work life balance is a struggle
Culture is challenging
There is often a lack of vision with rotating executives
The people in general are good, hard working people
There is no typical day
American Showa
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sunbury, OHSeptember 7, 2016
Solid Company, work life balance is not consistent across all departments.Upper management does not have long term vision
Pros
Well established, excellent benefits
Cons
Management disconnect with generalassociates, high turnover rate
High stress
Weld Technician (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OHJuly 16, 2016
Very stressful high paced manufacturing, upper management does not listen to associates. Never a thank you or good job. Its just get it done now attitude, cuts corners all around.
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Management, hours
ok place to work, not near where it used to be.
Section Head /Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHMarch 19, 2016
This company really fell behind with its management decisions in the last ten years. There were a few managers that were only in it for themselves. Good thing is that they are no longer with the company. Good group of associates there.
Pros
Many good employees.
Cons
Management had some big issues that have been taken care of for the most part.
Showa had the greatest benefits and had a consistant work ethic
DCM Operator (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHFebruary 18, 2016
Coming to work was like any other job not wanting to come to work or wanting to go home when you get there to the fact of knowing you know you had to be doing the same thing every single day so to that point it was pretty overwhelming. But overall the job was pretty set forward. I learned a lot about the robots and how the dies work and pretty much the whole process of what the parts have to go thru to get shipped out the door and how to run a 1.3 million machine. The management wasn't the best that is there downfall that don't have a set standard when it comes to quality. Especially on 3rd shift they have no quality inspector until you pretty much ran all the the way thru the end of your shift. So all that responsibility fell back on you which I didn't have a problem with it just kept you on your toes. And they never had a set role for getting associates certified on each machine due to the fact that every associate that got on 3rd we kept losing so we had just enough staff to get things together. So there was so room for certification because no one was able to cover your machine for training purposes. The hardest part of the job in my eyes would have to be not being able to get certified on my machine so I can move somewhere else and gain experience. Also not being able to nick the parts because when your running two parts at 51 seconds each and they're telling you to hit certain parts of the parts and they add stuff to you over time, when your already having a hard time keeping up its really hard not to nick parts up with your file. Then another hard part is this cleaning  more... policy they had to follow 6S which is a cleaning policy which each zone had to follow. You had to make sure your machine was cleaned by a certain time when you got oil, metal, and water everywhere and your leaving the building wondering if you left your machine in a decent condition for the next shift. Because working on 3rd every other shift would slack on there cleaning because they know there shift would get seen by an auditor.  less
Pros
Free Lunches, Amazing benefits, Great associates, Long Breaks
Cons
Management, No quality standard, Lack of associates, poor training
Decent Pay
Machine Technician (Current Employee) –  Blanchester, ohOctober 9, 2015
This company pays decently for the area they are located in. They do not treat employees equally or fairly when opening new positions.
Not A Good Job
Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHSeptember 1, 2015
They didn't communicate with management had no idea how to do anything.HR had no idea how the employees where expected to do your work no matter of the health risk you where taking.
working here is an experience
General Associate (Current Employee) –  Blanchester OHAugust 26, 2015
I have learned a lot while working at this job. Working with others, working on my own and being responsible for my own time and production, and leading a team toward established goals. There are a wide range of people who work there, and it makes it a very interesting environment.
Fast paced
Machine Technician (Former Employee) –  BlanchesterAugust 19, 2015
Fast paced job, lots of movements inside the plant. Worked on several lines in the same night. Lots of over time. Enjoyed my coworkers.
Great place to work with good pay
Casting Technician (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHAugust 13, 2015
A lot of opportunity for job advancement, great pay and great benefits, a lot of extras for the associates like, Christmas bonuses, trips to Kings Island, etc..
wish i never left
Production line operator (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OHAugust 4, 2015
although it was hard work it was pretty simple stuff. i was lucky enough to have gotten an awesome boss (Rick McDonald) and a whole line of amazing co-workers we were like one big family.
good place to work
o Sticker application (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHJuly 23, 2015
beg. of shift meeting. power steering assembly. well managed. many co workers/friends. extreme heat in casting. company cookouts.
Pros
raises and benefits
Cons
air quality / heat
Good work, TERRIBLE Management
High Pressure Casting Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHAugust 14, 2014
Worked in the foundry. Hard, hot work to say the least, but to be expected. Good pay, good benefits. Expected to work 7 days a week, mandatory overtime. The worst managed work place I have ever been in.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Every thing besides pay, benefits, and the work itself was unacceptable.
overall loved it!!!
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Blanchester, OHAugust 5, 2014
Best place ever to work, friendly co-workers, good management, great pay for the job being done
Great Place
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OHJanuary 24, 2014
Working for American Showa was a good experience for me. It was very fast paced and very demanding. At times it was long hours and 6 to 7 days a week. But it wasn't always like that there were slower times where you only worked 8 hours a day and 5 to 6 days a week. The pay was excellent and the benefits are outstanding!! It is run by the Japanese and very strict in the way things are done and what is expected as far as quality. High standards are very important. I enjoyed working there and enjoyed the people I worked with and worked for. The line leaders and supervisors were always there and not afraid to jump in and help if they were needed it was a team effort. The hardest part had to be the long hours and fast pace but the people I worked with made it enjoyable and we all made it through.
Pros
Excellent benefits, paid shutdown twice a year, free holiday dinners
Cons
long hours and fast pace
watch your back
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OHSeptember 10, 2013
I got fired and didn't see it coming. I was the scapegoat for a project that went over budget and didn't turn out as planned.
A great place to work. It allowed me to provide a comfortable life for my family.
Forklift Operator Shipping (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, OHAugust 26, 2013
I worked mostly third shift so that either my husband or I could always be at home with our children. I have made many life long friends. My job was very fast paced and required the ability to prioritize and multitask. I enjoyed interacting with many different people on a daily basis.
Pros
Many great friends. Pay
Cons
Healthcare.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American SHOWA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9