American Society of Civil Engineers Employee Reviews

further education
Associate Member (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 31, 2017
Anticipated ASCE Collaborate to share ideas, links and documents, discuss challenges and questions. Participated continuing education training. It's a good way to improve myself.
Productive and professional atmosphere; great staff
Membership Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 2, 2017
Excellent professional atmosphere and great supportive staff and team groups. You'll enjoy working in a supportive work place where team work is a high priority and individual growth is rewarded.
Tearm-worker, strong learning skill, hardworking
Member of Seismic Club (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 9, 2016
I like structure and building things, so I chose civil engineering as my major. I have worked different kinds part-time job: waiter, warehouse worker, community college tutor(math & chemistry), act. Actually, studying and working together is a hard time. however, after go through those time, I learn how to greatly manager my time. Also working for different position, I have seen many people who have they own character. This help me easily to communicate with different kinds of people. Job skill is one of an important thing that I need to learn from working, but how to work with your term is another important thing I learned from working as well. Term working would become my useful experience for my entire life.
A great place to work
Senior Manager, Diversity / Outreach Programs (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 20, 2016
Great people, great members and volunteers, wonderful experience! The most enjoyable part of my job was working with volunteers to advance the association's initiatives.
Cons
average salary
Strange rules and weird organization culture
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  reston, vaSeptember 19, 2015
Stay away! Favoritism and unfair policy plays by upper mgmt. hard work is not appreciated but demanded, there is a false illusion that it is an org. that really cares about work/life balance - ummm not really.
Pros
Benefits, people are nice, members of the association even nicer
Cons
mgmt, rules for some not others, hr has no say, upper mgmt walks around shooting the bull
Many internal politics
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 20, 2015
Not one of the better places to work. A lot of internal conflict, lack of vision. Don't see the value in the organization. Employees are focused on themselves and not membership community. Very high turn over.
Pros
Good benefiits
Cons
Ineffective leadership, a lot of internal conflict
Workplace filled with refreshing activities.
Member (Current Employee) –  San Jose, StudentApril 10, 2015
I learned lot of basic things that are prevailed in the construction field. Company's management was supportive and encouraged many freshers deal with some serious issues.We had a co-operative and friendly working environment. The most enjoyable part of job is when your higher officials appreciate your hard work.
Terrible Compensation
Senior Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 28, 2014
There is great opportunity to learn a wide range of skills and grow your professional skills set even if you don't advance in your position. However, the compensation (in terms of salary and other benefits) is terrible even by association standards. The people are great and I have many friends that I have made here and have stayed in touch with over the years; however, the company as a whole is very mismanaged and the senior leadership is much more concerned with self-advancement more than what is good for the company as a whole. There is very little accountability placed on senior leadership and management.
Pros
great people
Cons
terrible compensation/benefits, mismanagement, little accountability.
Excellent benefits
Sr. Manger, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 17, 2014
Every changing work environment and the toughest part of the job is the very detailed processes that must be followed for proper database business intelligence. The people make the work pleasurable.
Pros
BBQ's, idea swaps, and lunches
Cons
No jeans allowed
This isn't a place of work
no job (Current Employee) –  no jobJune 20, 2014
This is a group for Civil Engineers. I am not sure why it thinks this is a place fo work.
productive work place
AP Accountant/Senior Accountant Support (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 9, 2014
• Review all invoices, expense reports; check requests, etc., with correct codes conforming to standard procedures to ensure proper entry into the financial system.
• Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment
• Learnt Great Plains
Great Membership
Member (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, ILJanuary 21, 2014
This is a membership group of individuals who seek progress in the area of Civil Engineering. They look to improve society through sustainable design and environmental management.
Customer Service Department No advancement
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 23, 2013
Working for the customer service department is like working under a "dictatorship". There are blatant prejudices against certain employees by the director of the department. If you're one of the "lucky" ones whom he likes, then the fortune is yours. It's an oppressive department to work for and my disappointment lies in all upper management who when notified of the wrong doings simply give a tap on the wrists and after a few weeks of "good behavior" he's back on the rampage. I've been here for many years, and it's unfortunate I feel the need to look elsewhere to be able to work in a non hostile environment. I have to say, this is based off of my experience, and may not reflect the opinion of any other employee in this department.
Pros
healthcare, employee benefits provided by the company
Cons
terrible management
Fair compensation with stagnant leadership
Senior Coordinator, Program Development (Former Employee) –  Reston, VirginiaDecember 28, 2012
The organizational values are admirable and in general co-workers are friendly and helpful. Management is stagnant and technically outdated. Hence, the organization is not flexible to creative and progressive solutions.
I didn't feel like the job made it worth it to me to drive 2 hours each way every day
Membership Records Associate (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 7, 2012
Good company overall, good benefits, poor management. They were not willing to pitch in and help when the work load was heavy.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
horrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Society of Civil Engineers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9