American Solar Direct

American Solar Direct Employer Reviews

My experience with American Solar Direct
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2014
I have been with this amazing company for 2.5 years and have learned that if you SHOW that you are a hard worker, and good at what you do, there are opportunities for advancement. I had to make a very hard decision to pick up my life and go to the corporate office and despite still missing home, I am glad I did. I am learning so much more that I've – more... always wanted to learn. And I am seeing just how hard the people up here work to make things run smoothly and efficiently. They put in very long hours and still always have a smile on their face and go out of their way for their customers and employees.

It's a newer company so there are still bumps, but those are being smoothed out as we continue to move forward and grow. I am beyond thrilled to have the opportunity to be apart of this process and look forward to growing with them!!! – less
American Solar Direct/Consultant
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Woodland hills, CAJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great hours. great people. great income. health care. 401k. payed
Cons: no base pay. drive most of the day. no company car.
Hey Everyone,

My name is Chad Adam. I have been with American Solar Direct for the last 4 months. To be completely honest, it was the best decision in my life. Some of my favorite parts about the company is the performance driven culture. I've NEVER been in a company where I'm 100% in-charge of my income. Yes, being in a commission based company can – more... be a scary part of the job, but it has been one of the best parts of building a lifestyle I desire.

The co-workers and management teams have helped me grow in my knowledge and skills on the sales team. Coming into a company with little to no sales experience and being able to be trained to make a steady income of a minimum of $5,000 a month is a pretty amazing thing.

The hardest part of the job is getting off my butt and going to work everyday and giving 110%.

The most enjoyable part of the job is giving a 110% and seeing the results of people getting solar, taking care of my family, and enjoying a life that is comfortable.

The typical day on the job is going into an area the company has installed in and knocking on the neighbors doors and booking an appointment for in-home consultations. In addition to booking appointments, a consultant must do in home presentation for leasing or purchasing a solar system

I can't emphasize enough how grateful I am to be apart of this company. Truly a blessing.

Thanks for checking out my post. .

Chad Adam – less
Great Company & Awesome People!!
Administrative Coordinatior (Current Employee), Brentwood, CAJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great corporate location, healthcare, pay, paid holidays, fun culture!
I love working here! My job is constantly growing, and what I have learned here at ASD in just the last couple of months is truly amazing. The upper management is fantastic. They really let us "own" our jobs, whereas at other companies I have been micromanaged. Finally, I love my coworkers. They are the hardest working group of people I have ever had – more... the pleasure to associate myself with. I feel very fortunate to be working for a company that is constantly growing, that it is somewhere I can grow as an employee, and is helping decrease our carbon foot print! – less
Unfortunately, you won't make any money here.
Solar Consultant (Former Employee), Woodland HillsJuly 13, 2014
Pros: working with lots of nice people
Cons: only 1/6 deals i signed actually turned into a pay check, management of office didn't address issues brought to his attention
I worked for this company for close to a year. Unfortunately, even the consultants and crew leaders they tout as successful don't make enough to support themselves.
While working here, the engineering team (the people who did all the back office work like deciding what size system was best and what direction it should face) were often incompetent. Much – more... of the time they made huge mistakes that made the consultant look incompetent and ultimately cost them the sale. Though multiple complaints were made, no action was taken by management.

After hours and hours of work for a sale, many of the customers do not pass credit or roof top inspection, therefore you do not get paid. Still, they parade you around the office telling everyone about your sale. It is very frowned upon to tell people when a sale doesn't pass credit or turn into a paycheck.

When I began, they said it would take 4-6 weeks to get my license. After receiving your license you are able to consult your own appointments. Until then, you are only able to book appointments and if they sell, you get a much smaller cut than what you deserve. It took me 3 months to get it.

I have to say that I do believe in the solar movement, but the way this company treats employees is almost criminal. The labor board should really do some digging here. – less
Start Up that needs a little more help
Supervisor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 12, 2014
I enjoyed working for American Solar Direct for the most part, but upper management is not loyal to their employees. There is high turnover there and it is not a stable place to work. It was more fun and dedicated to its employees when previous upper managers were there but as time went on, it became really strained on the employees. A lot of employees – more... are very unhappy. – less
Write your own paychecks and help the enviroment
Director of Sales (Current Employee), San Jose, CAApril 22, 2014
Pros: unlimted upside for earnings and advacement
Cons: requires good work ethic
I have been working for American Solar Direct for 4 years. I see a lot of misinformation on the internet about ASD and feel it important to give some objective feedback about working for American Solar Direct. Before I accepted the job I vetted multiple companies in the solar space. There are a few reasons I choose ASD over the other solar companies. – more... ASD is a vertically integrated company, they are independent of technology, and there was an opportunity to grow in my career in renewable energy. ASD had the most lucrative compensation package out of all the companies I looked at and that was very important to me. I was not promised anything in terms of advancement or compensation, rather I was told your results will dictate your earnings and advancement. I came from a back ground of sales and had very aggressive goals. I was trained very well and was empowered with the tools and knowledge to succeed. I applied what I learned from my mentors in the company out in the field and it worked! It is not easy to do what we do but once I mastered the art of getting in front of customers and delivering a perfect presentation with practice, the product sold its self. I started as a canvasser then became a consultant, was promoted into a team manager position and when the opportunity "knocked" was promoted to Director of Sales. It is very rare to find a company with the values of promoting from within and paying its sales people so aggressively. Being able to achieve this type of advancement in such a short period of time is hard to find in today's business environment. The road that got me here was full of challenges and nothing was giving to me. Perseverance ensured my success as it does in most facets of our lives. I had the opportunity to write my own paychecks and pave my own path in advancement. I am grateful that there are still companies that offer this type of commitment to its sales team and would encourage anybody who is looking to get into the fast moving solar industry to check out ASD. There is a comforting feeling to know that I am in control of my own destiny. I see lots of opportunity still opening up in our company and my challenge is finding other like minded people to come on board to take advantage of this culture we have created! – less
Best training I have ever had. Very supportive mentoring.
Solar Consultant (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: great experience on engaging people
Cons: lack of regular paychecks
I was given an area and told to knock on people's doors, recite the script and convince potential customers to accept an appointment for me to come back and show them the economic benefits of going solar. I learned I had thick-skin to accept the constant rejection, tenacity to keep on going, and an engaging personality that didn't tick people off, even – more... when I interrupted their time. I met interesting people on my canvassing walks, saw lovely landscapes I would love to recreate at my home, petted the cutest dogs and cats, got plenty of exercise and fresh air. My co-workers were supportive and instructive.
The hardest part of my job was the lack of a regular paycheck. I was traveling 25-30 miles from home, and not reimbursed for most of the gas. I would knock on hundreds of doors, set a few appointments, then have the customers cancel them. If I did manage to sell a lease, there were many steps a customer had to complete before I got paid. These steps were out of my control, and I saw sells fall through because of roof-top conditions, etc., and I received no compensation. – less
This company sucks SANTA CLARA OFFICE
sales (Former Employee), santa claraFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: kinda cute receptionist
Cons: too many to list
So I go to the interview. I tell them upfront about my misdemeanor witch happened when I was 18. They said no problem. We start training 7 days none paid. Day 4 of training they tell me hey we cant hire you due to your background. So after I tell them upfront they say no big deal witch it wasn't they say we cant hire you.

The guy doing the training – more... is a douche bag. I remember one day he offended one of the trainees so bad that she broke out in tears and quit on the spot. They act like their company is so big and great when it isn't.

Oh and by the way in the interviewing process they do not tell you that you will be canvasing for 4-6 weeks till you get your home improvement sales license.

This was about a year and half ago. After being terminated I got a job for a different solar company. After training there was no canvasing required. There commission is alot higher and people are great to work with. My first year I made 150k. This year I should do well over 230k. I am one of their top guys. – less
Good Peoples
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 24, 2013
Great place and great environment. Managements are awesome peoples!
Productive, great place to start your career in the electrical and solar field
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee), Industry, CASeptember 22, 2013
Pros: you will learn
Cons: gas
Great place to start your career in the electrical and solar field. I see lots of room for advancement. Great co-workers. You learn something new everyday. I love working for American Solar Direct.
Loads of Opportunity
Solar Leasing Consultant (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2013
Pros: training, support, constantly improving company, stable, commissions
Cons: risky for those with lots of debt, an old car, and long distances to drive.
Extensive training provided. Those with a strong work ethic will succeed and achieve a good income. The only downside for me is the distance to Woodland Hills and canvassing areas far from where I live. You must have a decent car and be able to afford the gas expense.

Great bonuses the first three months while you're a lead generator fall off when – more... you get your consultant license. (There's no option for not becoming a consultant.) Then the commissions are MUCH greater but there are more hoops to jump through and lag time between a signed lease and getting paid. Not for those who are going into this with lots of debt, a long distance to drive, and an old car with lots of miles on it.

Otherwise the people are great and solar is a great field to be in. The company pays excellent commissions and is improving their entire operation at all levels consistently. Very stable and lots of support for those who can ride the ups and downs of commission only sales. – less
THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM
Solar Consultant (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJune 3, 2013
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: everything, including their shady business practices which put customers and employees in jeapordy!
Where do I begin, the fact that they are 1099 employer, meaning you have NO RIGHTS and no benefits or job security? The elitist culture and the vast chasm between the "top sales people" and the ones struggling? The arrogantce of the crew leaders, the fact that they do not treat you like a human being, but like a tool to further their gains?

This company – more... does not save the environment or help home owners save money, what they do is LEASE panels they install and own for 20 years and they sell back the energy produced to the homeowner.

The home owner is stuck in a contractual agreement wherein they give up rights to their roof and property if they dont pay their bill. This company has no soul and is only interested in selling leases to bind homeowners and put them at risk of being sued by ASD.

Do not work for this company!!! You will only be disappointed when you find out they do not give a darn about you and only treat you human if you sell their bad leases. They are using the environmental creed only to further their gains. These guys dont give a darn about the environment, they are snake oil salesmen. – less
Work
Crew Coordinator (Current Employee), Southern CaliforniaMarch 22, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule, high income potential.
Cons: low income potential
This is not an easy job. Slackers, and lazy people will not make it here.

However, if you are motivated, with a good work ethic, you can help people save money, help the environment, help drive the economy, and earn some money.

It can be frustrating, trying to explain something that is so beneficial, to people, so early in what I can only describe – more... as "a better way of producing energy". We are training, in a field, that is nowhere near mature. So the job, of changing the way people think about energy is difficult now. As the industry grows, there will come a time, when most people start to understand the benefits of solar.

As energy costs rise, people with certain levels of energy usage, will have no choice, but to look at an alternative, to what they are doing currently.

Will you be there, and ready to help?

If you are, you will make a decent living. – less

June 3, 2013

You forgot to mention that brown nosing is essential to deal with the crew coordinators inflated sense of self importance. The climate at ASD is based on preferential treatment to brown nosers and suck ups. The whole operation is based on talking people into a 20 year lease that places them in jeapordy. This company is greedy and does not reimbures for mileage and does not pay hourly so expect to invest your own money to work for them.

productive and fun workplace
In Home & Outside Solar Consultant (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 17, 2013
Good place to work no binding of time chose your own time
more you put more you make
sky is the limit
ok work environment
Residential Solar Installer (Current Employee), Santa Monica, CASeptember 12, 2012
co workers were great to work with. company is not ran efficiently. small company that thinks they are big. not enough work for employees.
Misinformed
Solar Consultant (Former Employee), West Covina, CAJuly 17, 2012
Pros: good product and program
Cons: management
You are a 1099 employee being treated as a W-2 employee. The company tells you when to work and where to work but you are working as an independent contractor. They tell you the towns and cities to canvass in. What they do not tell you is you need a canvassers permit in each city and town they want you to work in. If you do not have a permit the fine – more... can be up to $1000.00 and it comes out of your pocket. – less

March 22, 2013

Your crew coordinator, chooses territory carefully, so that you are in an area, that is likely to be productive, for your experience level. In addition, we don't want more than one of our consultants in training, knocking on the same doors, at the same time. As you become more experienced, you can suggest where you would like to work, and more than likely, you will get that territory. Technically, when you have your H.I.S. license, and are approved to consult on your own, you can work anywhere you want. Many of our consultants-in-training, just don't stick around long enough, to learn this job.

Results oriented with environmental concerns
Home Improvement Salesperson (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJune 15, 2012
Pros: the education of solar energy
Cons: the inherent costs of independent contracting
We dealt directly with homeowners by canvassing neighborhoods
How to overcome objections at the door and in the home
Very successful and detail oriented
Industrious and self-motivated toward success
Making customers realize they were already paying for solar without having the benefits of solar
Signing homeowners to energy efficiency

American Solar Direct Photos