American Solar Direct Employee Reviews

Company is trying to reorganize and restructure to match the ever changing market
Regional Sales Manager San Diego (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 22, 2016
I really enjoyed the sales training and sales concepts ASD follows. The salary is competitive and the bonuses are top notch. The offices are nice and clean. The areas of improvement would be in recruiting, lack of financing options available to customers, customer escalation resolutions and lastly management workshops and ongoing training. The employees need more then 1 day off a week. 2 days off a week would help them re energize for a solid new week of performance and they wont burn and churn through so many sales and canvassers so quickly. We were hiring and training new classes every week because people were quitting or getting fired so fast.
Pros
Bonuses, Salary, Training
Cons
One Day off a week or none effects quality of life with family, Recruiting, Customer resolution, Financing product options to customers, management training.
Sociopaths lie to you to get more work, Promotions are lies.
Solar Consultant, CIT (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 23, 2016
Door to door sales where you are promised a chance at promotion to reasonable base pay + commission + benefits. But when those quotas were met and training completed, suddenly your personal life and style come under fire and you are told your once excellent performance is no longer satisfactory. Management told me I was unprofessional when I was the only person on my team still setting appointments and their cash flow issues led to a delay in pay checks.
Failure to install on sold customers led to mass cancellations which led to a loss of pay on the back end of sales commissions.
Pros
Weekly pay and mileage.
Cons
Managers/owners are vampires who only want to suck you dry.
Great company to work for!
Market Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 27, 2016
I have nothing but positive things to say about this company. They go through great lengths to show their appreciation for their employees and customers and always go above and beyond to ensure employees and customers are treated fairly.

Opportunities are available for almost every position in the company for those who are willing to work hard and expand their solar knowledge.

Company takes pride in the fact that everything is done in house and that they are not outsourcing any part of their business.

I would highly recommend this company for anyone who is looking to advance their career with a stable and trustworthy company
Pros
great pay, advancement opportunities, entrepreneurial culture
If you work hard, you can make a lot of money
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 13, 2016
I started out as a Consultant in Training setting appointments door to door. While that didn't sound all that fun to me at first, the training and support I received helped me to advance to solar academy and become a full blown sales consultant in my first 60 days. This promotion included a salary that was almost double my hourly rate as a CIT and the chance to earn commissions and bonuses. While its been a lot of work, I'm making a lot more money than most of my friends two years out of school and am on a management track. I look forward to seeing where this goes.
Pros
Great training, free lunches, good culture, base pay, paid vacation
Cons
If you want to make money, you'll work most weekends
great working place
Door to Door Sales men (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 13, 2016
was great to work with and was great environment as well the management was really nice and understood and worked with us around our schooling
Not What I Expected
Canvasser and consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 22, 2016
I decided to get into Solar because I thought it was the industry of the future and there was a lot of potential to start a new career. There is a high turn over rate here. Every two weeks they hire about 15-20 new recruits, half of them dropping out by the second week. I was 1 of 2 people, did well canvassing (really hate this) but couldn't really sell the product. People reconsider and cancel, especially if you are asking them to make a $20,000 plus home improvement. It's a numbers game and you have to keep getting those numbers high if you want one or two of them to actually go through. You need a lot of hard work and patience. The higher you are up in the food chain, the more you make. I ended quitting because I needed more money and was not really going anywhere. Other companies were trying to recruit me to canvass for them, since I was good at it, but I am sure it is all the same. This review is not an indictment on ASD per se, but all solar companies because I think they generally operate the same way.
Pros
Received an education on sale techniques, get to meet people.
Cons
Used own vehicle, long hours, people cancel appointments without notice, "customers" ignore you at the door when they've made an appointment, work far from home, cheesy inspiration quotes, become more cynical
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 15, 2016
I loved it when I was c working at ASD. There was less of changes bur everything for the good, it makes me sad no longer being part of this family but I can say I enjoy everyone who I work with. One thing is about bonuses, it seemed at times I had to fight for them to give me my bonuses, and sometimes it didn't happened, they'll always b find an excuse, v but overall good company
Pros
Control over your own schedule, recently gave everyone rose
Cons
Fight for bonuses, a little disorganized
Here to stay!
Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
I have worked for American Solar Direct for 90 days and I have to say I finally feel like I have a home! With the leadership development and opportunities for advancement it is the perfect company to work with and hopefully call my last job before retirement. If you are looking for growth, opportunity and ability to generate an incredible income then this is the company for you!
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CANovember 28, 2016
A very hardworking company with a great staff. The Solar Industry can be very difficult but the company strives to be the best.
Care about company and customers
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 8, 2016
I have worked for this company for about 1 year and 4 months. Before that I worked at Starbucks for 6.5 years! I like to say I'm in customer service. I pride myself on selling solar with an industry leading customer experience and the best products in the marketplace. I've seen our company go above and beyond to make customers happy when things go wrong. I believe so much in what we offer that MY OWN HOUSEHOLD went solar with ASD. As an ASD customer, I experienced first hand that all the expectations I set for our customers are the exact same things my family saw and experienced. It burns a fire in me more every day to help as many people as I can to go solar with ASD and protect them from rising electricity costs! Not to mention, the caliber of people that come into work for ASD I believe really care about this company and about our customers. It makes my job that much easier and enjoyable!
Great Company with GREAT values
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2016
American Solar Direct is a great company to work for, they represent everything I stand for, honesty, integrity, transparency and accountability. They have a terrific training program and very positive work environment with a real team spirit. Everyone from their consultants to their rooftop inspectors, electricians, installers are employees of the company giving them total control of the quality of service customers receive.
Productive and fun work environment.
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAJuly 10, 2015
Working at ASD was an amazing experience. Even though i choose not to continue working there. i must say they are an amazing company. i learned a lot of skills that would benefit me not just working there but anywhere else as well. such as Time management. Dealing with difficult people, and communicating with people successfully. As far as management goes, they did everything in their power to help me, and my co-workers be successful at the job. and took their time to explain everything to us. the hardest part about the job as a Solar Consultant would be dealing with all the rejections one encounters through the day. but the most enjoyable part of the job, is how motivated and supportive your co-workers are, and how friendly the work environment is.
Pros
Great growth opportunity, Supportive and motivated co-workers, Great Benefits, Always doing whats best for the employee and customers.
Cons
Commission based, hard to get the hang off, dealing with out side weather.
BEST Solar Company
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2016
I Started working for ASD in September 2014, great company with outstanding product. I just got my own solar installed this month, the installers, electricians and roofers were great and did a fantastic job. I'm proud to work for the BEST solar company in the industry.
This company is a scam
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 3, 2013
Where do I begin, the fact that they are 1099 employer, meaning you have NO RIGHTS and no benefits or job security? The elitist culture and the vast chasm between the "top sales people" and the ones struggling? The arrogantce of the crew leaders, the fact that they do not treat you like a human being, but like a tool to further their gains?

This company does not save the environment or help home owners save money, what they do is LEASE panels they install and own for 20 years and they sell back the energy produced to the homeowner.

The home owner is stuck in a contractual agreement wherein they give up rights to their roof and property if they dont pay their bill. This company has no soul and is only interested in selling leases to bind homeowners and put them at risk of being sued by ASD.

Do not work for this company!!! You will only be disappointed when you find out they do not give a darn about you and only treat you human if you sell their bad leases. They are using the environmental creed only to further their gains. These guys dont give a darn about the environment, they are snake oil salesmen.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
EVERYTHING, including their shady business practices which put customers and employees in jeapordy!
Opportunity of a Lifetime
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  IrvineAugust 15, 2014
What a GREAT company to work for & I truly believe that this is an opportunity of a lifetime. What an awesome way to make a living, helping people go solar & helping other people fulfill their dreams.

I have been with ASD since Jan 2012. One of the things that I love about AMERICAN SOLAR DIRECT, is that we are always improving- for the employee or the client.

It is a culture unlike any other, positive, encouraging, energetic, inspiring & they pay better than any other solar co.

I have been recruited 4 times during my employment with AMERICAN SOLAR DIRECT & I always tell them the same thing.
" I am loyal to them because they are loyal to me".

This is my first sales position When I wasn't sure if this was the job for me, they trained, encouraged & always support me.

We have a GREAT team throughout the organization.

As our CEO says "we are building something great together"
My experience with American Solar Direct
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2014
I have been with this amazing company for 2.5 years and have learned that if you SHOW that you are a hard worker, and good at what you do, there are opportunities for advancement. I had to make a very hard decision to pick up my life and go to the corporate office and despite still missing home, I am glad I did. I am learning so much more that I've always wanted to learn. And I am seeing just how hard the people up here work to make things run smoothly and efficiently. They put in very long hours and still always have a smile on their face and go out of their way for their customers and employees.

It's a newer company so there are still bumps, but those are being smoothed out as we continue to move forward and grow. I am beyond thrilled to have the opportunity to be apart of this process and look forward to growing with them!!!
Great Company & Awesome People!!
Administrative Coordinatior (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, CAJuly 29, 2014
I love working here! My job is constantly growing, and what I have learned here at ASD in just the last couple of months is truly amazing. The upper management is fantastic. They really let us "own" our jobs, whereas at other companies I have been micromanaged. Finally, I love my coworkers. They are the hardest working group of people I have ever had the pleasure to associate myself with. I feel very fortunate to be working for a company that is constantly growing, that it is somewhere I can grow as an employee, and is helping decrease our carbon foot print!
Pros
Great Corporate Location, Healthcare, Pay, Paid Holidays, Fun Culture!
Solar consultant
SOLAR CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 7, 2014
I consider it one of the worst companies in San Diego, offers no salary, unless you make 4 sales a month, does not offer leads, no workers compensation, management sucks, human resource never call back never take time to answer question to employees, training sucks the never take time to explain how to use the tablet
These ARE B.S. reviews from the company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAApril 4, 2016
EVERYONE QUITS! Of my training class of appx 20, I was the 2nd to last left standing withing 8 months, the last left a few months later.

NO EARNING POTENTIAL!! You will never make anything like what they tell you. Oh, you'll sign many contracts, but 5% will execute. Kill yourself, they don't care. As long as they don't spend any money whatsoever.

At least I got in on the class action suit and made a few hundred bucks. One of the worst jobs I ever had. DO NOT BE FOOLED!!!
Cons
no earnings endless hours brutal physical work rah rah meetings surrounded by low IQ types every day
Fun environment/Excellent training
Outside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 18, 2016
Day to day is door to door. The harder work the more you can make. Defiantly learned a lot of sales skills from an awesome team. My co-workers were always there for support and to help me along.

Hard part: Door to door
Enjoyable: Meeting a lot of interesting people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Solar Direct. Our community is ready to answer.

72%