American Solar Direct

American Solar Direct Employee Reviews in United States

If you work hard, you can make a lot of money
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 13, 2016
I started out as a Consultant in Training setting appointments door to door. While that didn't sound all that fun to me at first, the training and support I received helped me to advance to solar academy and become a full blown sales consultant in my first 60 days. This promotion included a salary that was almost double my hourly rate as a CIT and the chance to earn commissions and bonuses. While its been a lot of work, I'm making a lot more money than most of my friends two years out of school and am on a management track. I look forward to seeing where this goes.
Pros
Great training, free lunches, good culture, base pay, paid vacation
Cons
If you want to make money, you'll work most weekends
These ARE B.S. reviews from the company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAApril 4, 2016
EVERYONE QUITS! Of my training class of appx 20, I was the 2nd to last left standing withing 8 months, the last left a few months later.

NO EARNING POTENTIAL!! You will never make anything like what they tell you. Oh, you'll sign many contracts, but 5% will execute. Kill yourself, they don't care. As long as they don't spend any money whatsoever.

At least I got in on the class action suit and made a few hundred bucks. One of the worst jobs I ever had. DO NOT BE FOOLED!!!
Cons
no earnings endless hours brutal physical work rah rah meetings surrounded by low IQ types every day
Encouraging environment for growth!
Manager, Office Operations & Culture (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesAugust 11, 2015
Positive work environment surrounded by encouragement for growth. ASD truly acknowledges that for growth to occur, change must occur. ASD management understands that through growth and change comes error, they focus on learning from these mistakes to build a better employee and work environment.
Pros
Constant encouragement, growth opportunities, HR Director sets a great tone for other depts to follow
Cons
PTO could be better!
Environmentally and Worker Friendly Company
Intern (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesAugust 11, 2015
Great company that has a start-up feel to it. The solar energy industry is always changing and it is never a dull moment on the job as each employee is able to provide new ideas and does not stick to a concrete script day in and out.
Pros
Great, upbeat environment
Fun and Awesome Place to Work
Operations Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 6, 2015
My favorite thing about working for ASD is the people. ASD is a place where your coworkers become your close friends. A typical day at work is exciting, fun, and productive. It is a place that makes sitting at a desk all day fun because most of the positions here force you to interact with your colleagues, your able to share your thoughts and ideas, and you are able to be you. My boss shows interest in all of my teammates, and we have developed work/life integration instead of work life balance. I love my job and I don't plan on going anywhere.
Pros
The people who work here are amazing!
Productive and fun work environment.
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAJuly 10, 2015
Working at ASD was an amazing experience. Even though i choose not to continue working there. i must say they are an amazing company. i learned a lot of skills that would benefit me not just working there but anywhere else as well. such as Time management. Dealing with difficult people, and communicating with people successfully. As far as management goes, they did everything in their power to help me, and my co-workers be successful at the job. and took their time to explain everything to us. the hardest part about the job as a Solar Consultant would be dealing with all the rejections one encounters through the day. but the most enjoyable part of the job, is how motivated and supportive your co-workers are, and how friendly the work environment is.
Pros
Great growth opportunity, Supportive and motivated co-workers, Great Benefits, Always doing whats best for the employee and customers.
Cons
Commission based, hard to get the hang off, dealing with out side weather.
Grateful
Operations Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Industry, CAApril 14, 2015
I received my start at this company as a Fleet Manager. I learned very much and I'm excited to continue to grow in this field.
Great company
Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMarch 30, 2015
This company is great, I have learned a lot. The management is always helping and they really do want you to succeed. The bonus that you get always are a plus.
over exhausting
consultant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 28, 2015
These reviews are supposed to be from the ex-employes of ASD, any current employee can write an outstanding review making themselves as well as there business look better than the truth behind doors...poor management-personal experience: they don't care about you, just your sales, but don't complain about it though...doing so will end up with your team members making jokes about you....thanks ASD!
Pros
401k, and benefits that's it
Cons
only commission
High energy, assumptive sales environment
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Mission Hills, CAMarch 19, 2015
Walking door to door qualifying home owners for Solar Electric on their homes.
Learned to work the plan, and planned to work.
Management was instructive with high expectations.
The hardest part of the job is knocking on residential doors during dinner hours and family time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is landing the appointment and creating the sale.
Pros
visible rewards for accomplishments
Cons
knocking on residential doors
Aweful, increadibly high turn-over for a reason.
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CaMarch 11, 2015
Do not be fooled by the ex-salesmen now running the company. They recruit the worst new employees, many of whom do not speak fluent English, and send them door to door to set appointments for closers to sell homeowners solar systems. Job is incredibly physically taxing, walking up and down stairs, hills, uneven sidewalks for up to 7 hours a day, often in extreme heat or rain. Bosses encourage employees to pester homeowners during 'peak hours' and are constantly interrupting families at dinner and as late as 9:30pm when many are asleep or have put kids to bed already.
Pros
free (heavily used) polo shirt with asd logo...
Cons
no consistent pay check, comission only.
Very busy upbeat office
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Heavy paperwork and incoming calls. I assisted sales and management daily. I was in charge of making sure the office ran smoothly and made I sure the office was in immaculate condition daily. I was very busy from day to day and was able to manage my work load easily.
Pros
i ran the office.
Cons
no room for growth.
Hard in small town
Solar Sales (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 4, 2015
This company is awesome but defiantly needs to stay in BIG cities. I knocked over 150 doors and never got a lead until I would follow up the them and the leads never even went through because pricing is just to high for small citys
Solar consultant
SOLAR CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 7, 2014
I consider it one of the worst companies in San Diego, offers no salary, unless you make 4 sales a month, does not offer leads, no workers compensation, management sucks, human resource never call back never take time to answer question to employees, training sucks the never take time to explain how to use the tablet
Cons
i consider it one of the worst companies in san diego, offers no salary, unless you make 4 sales a month, does not offer leads, no workers compensation, management sucks, human resource never call back never take time to answer question to employees, training sucks the never take time to explain how to use the tablet
Great company, great opportunity, and great people.
Regional Sales Development Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 13, 2014
If you like to work with great people and be treated well, this is the company for you.
Pros
i like my job.
Cons
you could find yourself working too much!
Opportunity of a Lifetime
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  IrvineAugust 15, 2014
What a GREAT company to work for & I truly believe that this is an opportunity of a lifetime. What an awesome way to make a living, helping people go solar & helping other people fulfill their dreams.

I have been with ASD since Jan 2012. One of the things that I love about AMERICAN SOLAR DIRECT, is that we are always improving- for the employee or the client.

It is a culture unlike any other, positive, encouraging, energetic, inspiring & they pay better than any other solar co.

I have been recruited 4 times during my employment with AMERICAN SOLAR DIRECT & I always tell them the same thing.
" I am loyal to them because they are loyal to me".

This is my first sales position When I wasn't sure if this was the job for me, they trained, encouraged & always support me.

We have a GREAT team throughout the organization.

As our CEO says "we are building something great together"
My experience with American Solar Direct
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2014
I have been with this amazing company for 2.5 years and have learned that if you SHOW that you are a hard worker, and good at what you do, there are opportunities for advancement. I had to make a very hard decision to pick up my life and go to the corporate office and despite still missing home, I am glad I did. I am learning so much more that I've always wanted to learn. And I am seeing just how hard the people up here work to make things run smoothly and efficiently. They put in very long hours and still always have a smile on their face and go out of their way for their customers and employees.

It's a newer company so there are still bumps, but those are being smoothed out as we continue to move forward and grow. I am beyond thrilled to have the opportunity to be apart of this process and look forward to growing with them!!!
American Solar Direct/Consultant
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Woodland hills, CAJuly 29, 2014
Hey Everyone,

My name is Chad Adam. I have been with American Solar Direct for the last 4 months. To be completely honest, it was the best decision in my life. Some of my favorite parts about the company is the performance driven culture. I've NEVER been in a company where I'm 100% in-charge of my income. Yes, being in a commission based company can be a scary part of the job, but it has been one of the best parts of building a lifestyle I desire.

The co-workers and management teams have helped me grow in my knowledge and skills on the sales team. Coming into a company with little to no sales experience and being able to be trained to make a steady income of a minimum of $5,000 a month is a pretty amazing thing.

The hardest part of the job is getting off my butt and going to work everyday and giving 110%.

The most enjoyable part of the job is giving a 110% and seeing the results of people getting solar, taking care of my family, and enjoying a life that is comfortable.

The typical day on the job is going into an area the company has installed in and knocking on the neighbors doors and booking an appointment for in-home consultations. In addition to booking appointments, a consultant must do in home presentation for leasing or purchasing a solar system

I can't emphasize enough how grateful I am to be apart of this company. Truly a blessing.

Thanks for checking out my post. .

Chad Adam
Pros
great hours. great people. great income. health care. 401k. payed
Cons
no base pay. drive most of the day. no company car.
Great Company & Awesome People!!
Administrative Coordinatior (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, CAJuly 29, 2014
I love working here! My job is constantly growing, and what I have learned here at ASD in just the last couple of months is truly amazing. The upper management is fantastic. They really let us "own" our jobs, whereas at other companies I have been micromanaged. Finally, I love my coworkers. They are the hardest working group of people I have ever had the pleasure to associate myself with. I feel very fortunate to be working for a company that is constantly growing, that it is somewhere I can grow as an employee, and is helping decrease our carbon foot print!
Pros
great corporate location, healthcare, pay, paid holidays, fun culture!
Unfortunately, you won't make any money here.
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  Woodland HillsJuly 13, 2014
I worked for this company for close to a year. Unfortunately, even the consultants and crew leaders they tout as successful don't make enough to support themselves.
While working here, the engineering team (the people who did all the back office work like deciding what size system was best and what direction it should face) were often incompetent. Much of the time they made huge mistakes that made the consultant look incompetent and ultimately cost them the sale. Though multiple complaints were made, no action was taken by management.

After hours and hours of work for a sale, many of the customers do not pass credit or roof top inspection, therefore you do not get paid. Still, they parade you around the office telling everyone about your sale. It is very frowned upon to tell people when a sale doesn't pass credit or turn into a paycheck.

When I began, they said it would take 4-6 weeks to get my license. After receiving your license you are able to consult your own appointments. Until then, you are only able to book appointments and if they sell, you get a much smaller cut than what you deserve. It took me 3 months to get it.

I have to say that I do believe in the solar movement, but the way this company treats employees is almost criminal. The labor board should really do some digging here.
Pros
working with lots of nice people
Cons
only 1/6 deals i signed actually turned into a pay check, management of office didn't address issues brought to his attention