American Specialty Health Employee Reviews in United States

Productive workplace
Healthcare Agent (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INApril 24, 2016
Great job for recent college graduate! I learned a lot about co existing with co workers and made lifelong references. Great experience.
Low pay; poor management
Claims Examiner I (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 1, 2016
The pay for the area is very low. While I enjoy my job and what I do the compensation for my responsibilities is not equal. Management is also lacking the skills they need to effectively manage. The wrong people have been promoted to these positions. They cause unnecessary drama and pit people against each other.
Pros
More holidays than anywhere I've worked
Cons
Pay, Management
Okay place to work for if you are an introvert
Senior Reconciliation Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2016
I worked as a Sr Recon Specialist. The work that I did was with Health Ins Companies and their TPA's. Once you learned how everything worked and their stance on getting things covered and completed it was an okay company to work for as long as you didn't want to have to talk to your coworkers. they are very against you talking to your coworkers about anything. From asking a quick question about how to do something or asking how their weekend was. As long as you want to come in do your work and collect a paycheck you are fine.
Pros
Good but expensive benefits
Cons
no talking to coworkers and don't think outside the box
Working at ASH was a great experience
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 6, 2015
I worked at ASH for one year and it was a great and rewarding experience. I was doing my Master's degree while working; therefore, putting what I was learning into practice helped tremendously with school work as well as with performing my job duties.
Repetitive work
fitness customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXNovember 25, 2015
management is very rude, work is repetitive. very nice company to work for but it is emotionally and mentally stressful being an employee here.
Pros
good pay
Cons
constant schedule changes, very tough QA, stressful
Fun place to work, very detailed training with great training staff
Clinical Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXOctober 12, 2015
inbound call center, no sales at all! Training staff was very supportive. The staff got along very well. When it came time to change schedules team members were not given enough time to make changes in their personal lives to create a proper work/life balance and many were left with no choice but to turn in their resignation.
Pros
great staff
Cons
changes in schedules occured too often and with short notice
Welcoming work enviroment
Customer Service Wellness (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2015
Fast pasted work environment. From answering in bound call, making out bound calls, pulling reports, Multitasking is a must. However the goal is to provide members with information regarding products and services. Help resolve any customer inquires on the first call.
Pros
A positive work environment, co-worker are creative, helpful and supportive.
Cons
Minimul employee value
Insurance Verifications
Eligibility Representative (Former Employee) –  SouthlakeAugust 25, 2015
Insurance Verification/Eligibility Representative. Fun working environment. Supportive Management.
This company will encourage you to live a healthy life.
Friendly co-workers and management.
Pros
Health and Wellness
They Are All About Quality
Project Manager, Medical Services (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 23, 2015
What I loved most about ASH is that they take the time to teach quality to the employees. I appreciate their attention to this trait as it is important to consumers, clients, and providers alike.
Progressive company culture offering low wages.
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2015
This company pays low for industry standards while requiring employees to work extremely hard. The focus of health and well-being are all good things, but it does not make up for the tension with management and strict company policy.
Pros
Nice office building and park nearby
Cons
Low pay and heavy workload
Productive and Extremely Rewarding
Health Coach Trainer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2015
At American Specialty Health i learned that i can dramatically assist people in learning how to increase their health through changing their lifestyle; mentally, physically, or both. The most important/enjoyable part of my day is developing trainings and making sure that they positively impact other people ability to change lives.
Pros
Great people and extremely rewarding job functions
Cons
Company is in a constant state of flux or change
Fun enviroment, great work life balance.
Project Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, Southlake, CarmelJuly 21, 2015
My time at Healthyroads/ASH has been exciting and fulfilling. I have advanced in a short amount of time and have really enjoyed working on projects and leading teams. My peers and management are great to work with but the compensation could be better. I really enjoy the work life home balance as well as the flexibility. Also, there's 16 paid holidays and that AWESOME!
Pros
Flexibility, Great Hours, Young Staff
Cons
The salary is probaly the lowest in terms of the Health and Wellness industry.
Specific to the call center: There is too much variation, information, updates, lack of communication
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San DiegoJuly 21, 2015
Typically, there are so many different scenarios it is really difficult to become an expert service agent. Furthermore, the information changes rapidly however, communication of these changes are lacking. Training used to be long enough to allow one time to get the hang of job however, due to the shorter training, many of the agents are placed on the floor ill-equipped for the job. There is a lot of confusion because the influx of responsibilities placed on the supervisors doesn't allow them time to meet w/ coach or develop agents. Often times if an agent doesn't understand something, they will spread this missed information to the next agent. This often times complicates issues and can cause issues to compound. There is often gaps in communication between departments which leads to misunderstandings; call center agents often have a hard time working with the claims agents because they understand things differently. There are process which are redundant and do not make since. Things which should be handled by one department are transferred to another department in error sometimes due to lack of understanding, ignorance, laziness, or just because. Lastly, for the amount of knowledge needed to perform the job, the distance most agents travel to get to work, the compensation is poor.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, Great atmosphere, Learning/grooming environment, relaxed dresscode.
Cons
Strict adherance, lack of pay, lack of flexibility, and antiquated systems
Fun place to work and learn
Wellness Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TXJuly 13, 2015
Working at ASH/Healthyroads is a great learning experience. It has grown from a small company into a large company in the 30 years it's been around.

They have treated me well and I have no complaints other than, I feel that it's time to take what I have learned and move on.

The co-workers are great and I have a lot of fun when I'm at work. The Holiday schedule is probably what I'll miss the most.

The most challenging part of my job is the workload, but I have it under control.

I really love working for American Specialty Health, and it will be a sad day when I leave.
Pros
16 Paid Holidays a year
Cons
Training could be improved for better quality assurance as well as better employee retention.
I was treated like a person instead than a number.
clinical services (Former Employee) –  Southlake TXJune 12, 2015
I loved the fact that at ASH the management team treated us like people. We were able to go to any of them with questions, problems, or concerns. Those needs would actually be met to the best of their ability. They are also very big on keeping the moral high in the call center. I hate I had to leave.
Lounge rooms with tv to watch show
Credentials Examiner Level 2 (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 29, 2015
I think that the company if not fair on yearly raise and reviews. There is a lot of favoritism in the company and the company does not follow company policy and procedures. Each department is different and should be the same.
Pros
Good Beneifits and love doing my job
Cons
micromanagement/unfairness
A happy and peaceful enviorment .
CSR (Former Employee) –  Dallas txApril 15, 2015
Ordered and distributed office supplies while adhering to a fixed office budget.
• Managed office supplies, vendors, organization and upkeep.
• Directed guests and routed deliveries and courier services.
• Answered and managed incoming and outgoing calls while recording accurate messages.
• Opened and properly distributed incoming mail.
• Greeted numerous visitors, including VIPs, Vendors and interview candidates.
• Maintained a clean receptionist area, including lounge and associated areas.
• Gathered personnel records from all employees from each department.
• Researched all payroll issues.
• Reviewed human resource paperwork for accuracy and completeness by verifying, collecting and correcting additional data.
• Edited job position announcements before authorizing a post.
• Coordinated and conducted new hire pre-interviews.

CSR-Sales Lead Generation,Data Entry,Complaint Handling/Dispute Resolution,MS Word, Excel and Multiline Phone Use.
Pros
Loving team to work with.
Cons
30 Min. Lunch
Management Needed Serious Help
In-bound call center representative II (Clinical) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2015
I did not mind the work load, the management on all levels were not at all personable. The training was the best part about working at ASH.
Pros
alternative healthcare for cheap
Cons
everything
Sales and marketing
sales marketing (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 30, 2015
Most of the management at ASH is amazing. The culture is great, really encourage team work and family work balance. The room for advancement is minimal and the payscale is incredibly low for the area but as a temporary place, it works.
Pros
gym, encourage walks, onsite healthy alternatives
Cons
low pay
Productive and fun working place
Senior ETL Developer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2015
It was a very productive and fun place to work on. had a challenging role.