American Student Assistance Employee Reviews in United States

No Longer happy
Technical Support Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 28, 2015
I don't forward to going to work like I use to. Their use to be a lot more opportunities. Management shows favoritism, speaking up will get you fired.
Positive company mission
Claim and Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2015
Very busy, fast-paced environment that advocated a high importance of culture and teamwork. Positive mission that supported a balance between loan payment and a personal understanding of student, post-graduate responsibility.
Pros
Culture and positive mission.
Job At ASA
Senior Desktop Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2015
If you like to sit around and do nothing this is the job for you. A bunch of zombies walking around.
Review Summary
Senior Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 19, 2015
Friendly working environment. Benefits are great and many different training's offered to help us enhance our skills. The hardest part of the job,particularly in my department is it's repetitive nature. the repetitive aspect can become tiresome and directly affect how well you perform on a daily basis. I do however, enjoy my co-workers and most of my management team.
Fast paced and friendly work environment with great intern program
Web Development/Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 12, 2014
As an intern, I was glad to be accepted as a valued member of a fast paced production team. They treated me as an equal and entrusted me with crucial tasks on a biweekly basis. The tasks required of me ranged from quite simple, such as making slight visual tweaks to the site, to creating the entire front end of one of their web apps from scratch. I learned quite a bit about web development and its best practices during my time at ASA and made some great connections. My co-workers were generally very helpful and fun to work with. My favorite aspect of the job was that I was able to influence the direction of the final product to some extent. As the website is targeted at college kids close to my age, I was asked to give my own thoughts on how to more effectively advertise ASA's services as well as make the site more intuitive and enjoyable to use. They took notice of every one of my suggestions and were very grateful for my input.
Pros
very helpful coworkers, large variety of responsibilities, great location
Cons
some crucial personnel left without properly documenting or passing on their knowledge of the stack
A productive call center
Senior loan information specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2014
On a everyday day basis the job involves a high level of calls incoming and outgoing where those incoming were priority over outgoing ones. Each of my co-workers work as a unit to minimize the high level of calls waiting to be serviced and with the support staff we were able to control that level.

The hardest part of the job was not having enough data to serviced our customers more efficiently, while the most enjoyable part of the same job was getting the job done when customers are satisfied with their counseling.
Excellent
Senior Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 4, 2014
There was never a typical day. The diversity in my responsibilities, the energy of my team and the culture made being a work fun.

I especially appreciated the autonomy I had in my role. My manager was available when needed, but trusted my judgment. ASA's commitment to community allows employees to participate in events and programs outside of ASA.
The people are amazing!
Pros
excellent benefits, wellness programs, culture
Great place but...
Technical Manager - Performance\QA (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 15, 2014
Awesome place, mission and people.. it just need to find a way to make money and wish them the best in that.
Pros
public service mission, people, and technology
Cons
shrinking, negativity
Wellness Counselor/Payment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 20, 2014
Very friendly atmosphere, as well as professional environment.
Test
Test (Current Employee) –  BostonApril 30, 2014
Great place to work. Love my coworkers and management is great.
Pros
great
Cons
nothing
Good Company with great benefits
Corporate Sponsorship Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 14, 2014
Good company with great people. Looking to drive revenue through sponsorship. Company is very profitable and is looking to create an additional revenue source.
Pros
family friendly
Cons
company direction
Good work environment.
Web Developer (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 9, 2013
- 8 hr work per day
- Front end development, includes html CSS, javaScript, JQuery and some framework like dust, foundation.
- Co-works are nice
Great Company to work for.
Manager of Treasury Operations (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2012
- The Company has a casual atmosphere but the employees are business professionals.

- Management is well informed with an open door policy.

- The staff are friendly and knowledgable.

- It was always enjoyable to come to work each day. Great location with a lot of public transportation options.
Product Management
Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 12, 2012
Worked among very intelligent product management team that drove technical enhancements on a number of platforms. Enhancements created enormous growth of partner clients and overall loan volume.
Pros
good work-life balance and benefits
Cons
typically slow to change and new approaches
Workplace
Technical Support Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 2, 2012
Nice place to work, but department don't work well together.
Working environment and experience
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 4, 2012
I thought ASA was a great place to work. However, advancement was pretty much non-existent. When they decided to develop an extensive web development team, there was hiring from outside... not letting, for the most part, internal engineers gain experience. That was the biggest issue that I had. The tech experience I had when I started was what I had when I left.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
advacement in technical knowledge

4.4