American Student Assistance

American Student Assistance Employee Reviews

Review Summary
Senior Counselor (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 19, 2015
Friendly working environment. Benefits are great and many different training's offered to help us enhance our skills. The hardest part of the job,particularly in my department is it's repetitive nature. the repetitive aspect can become tiresome and directly affect how well you perform on a daily basis. I do however, enjoy my co-workers and most of my management team.
Fast paced and friendly work environment with great intern program
Web Development/Design Intern (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 12, 2014
Pros: very helpful coworkers, large variety of responsibilities, great location
Cons: some crucial personnel left without properly documenting or passing on their knowledge of the stack
As an intern, I was glad to be accepted as a valued member of a fast paced production team. They treated me as an equal and entrusted me with crucial tasks on a biweekly basis. The tasks required of me ranged from quite simple, such as making slight visual tweaks to the site, to creating the entire front end of one of their web apps from scratch. I learned quite a bit about web development and its best practices during my time at ASA and made some great connections. My co-workers were generally very helpful and fun to work with. My favorite aspect of the job was that I was able to influence the direction of the final product to some extent. As the website is targeted at college kids close to my age, I was asked to give my own thoughts on how to more effectively advertise ASA's services as well as make the site more intuitive and enjoyable to use. They took notice of every one of my suggestions and were very grateful for my input.
A productive call center
Senior loan information specialist (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 6, 2014
On a everyday day basis the job involves a high level of calls incoming and outgoing where those incoming were priority over outgoing ones. Each of my co-workers work as a unit to minimize the high level of calls waiting to be serviced and with the support staff we were able to control that level.

The hardest part of the job was not having enough data to serviced our customers more efficiently, while the most enjoyable part of the same job was getting the job done when customers are satisfied with their counseling.
Excellent Employer
FINANCIAL STUDENT LOAN SERVICES (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 23, 2014
Tell us about:
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job

DO NOT include any personally identifiable information, such as names.

Your review may be publicly displayed by Indeed.
Excellent
Senior Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 4, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, wellness programs, culture
There was never a typical day. The diversity in my responsibilities, the energy of my team and the culture made being a work fun.

I especially appreciated the autonomy I had in my role. My manager was available when needed, but trusted my judgment. ASA's commitment to community allows employees to participate in events and programs outside of ASA.
The people are amazing!
Great place but...
Technical Manager - Performance\QA (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 15, 2014
Pros: public service mission, people, and technology
Cons: shrinking, negativity
Awesome place, mission and people.. it just need to find a way to make money and wish them the best in that.
Wellness Counselor/Payment Advisor (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 20, 2014
Very friendly atmosphere, as well as professional environment.
Test
Test (Current Employee), BostonApril 30, 2014
Pros: great
Cons: nothing
Great place to work. Love my coworkers and management is great.
Good Company with great benefits
Corporate Sponsorship Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: family friendly
Cons: company direction
Good company with great people. Looking to drive revenue through sponsorship. Company is very profitable and is looking to create an additional revenue source.
Good work environment.
Web Developer (Co-op) (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 9, 2013
- 8 hr work per day
- Front end development, includes html CSS, javaScript, JQuery and some framework like dust, foundation.
- Co-works are nice
Great Company to work for.
Manager of Treasury Operations (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 8, 2012
- The Company has a casual atmosphere but the employees are business professionals.

- Management is well informed with an open door policy.

- The staff are friendly and knowledgable.

- It was always enjoyable to come to work each day. Great location with a lot of public transportation options.
Product Management
Senior Product Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 12, 2012
Pros: good work-life balance and benefits
Cons: typically slow to change and new approaches
Worked among very intelligent product management team that drove technical enhancements on a number of platforms. Enhancements created enormous growth of partner clients and overall loan volume.
Product Management
Senior Product Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 12, 2012
Pros: good work-life balance and benefits
Cons: typically slow to change and new approaches
Workplace
Technical Support Lead Engineer (Current Employee), Boston, MASeptember 2, 2012
Nice place to work, but department don't work well together.
Working environment and experience
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 4, 2012
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: advacement in technical knowledge
I thought ASA was a great place to work. However, advancement was pretty much non-existent. When they decided to develop an extensive web development team, there was hiring from outside... not letting, for the most part, internal engineers gain experience. That was the biggest issue that I had. The tech experience I had when I started was what I had when I left.

About American Student Assistance

Don't know how you're going to pay for college? You might want to consult ASA, ASAP. American Student Assistance is a private – Read more