American TV Employee Reviews

Okay job if all you live for is a paycheck
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 24, 2013
I'd rather not be negative because there were good things about working at American TV, but after reading other reviews I have to agree that American isn't that great of a place to work. Sure, the coworkers were great but it didn't appear that management cared two bits about the employees. There is absolutely no room for advancement nor are there pay incentives - compensation is poor/ no 401k/ small window of vacation time and communication between upper management and lower level employees is nil unless it includes some sort of reprimand. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the coworkers and customers! Lots of hours with no recognition let alone a 'job well done' from anyone on staff. It just seems that this company is all about money and not about staff moral.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
zero incentives for hard work
Fun work invironment
Electronics department sales (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 12, 2014
Sell! Sell! Sell! I learned techniques on how to be great at customer service and that the customer's needs always comes first. Management was very helpful and the coworkers were great to be around. Sales is very competitive so we would have disagreements from time to time. The hardest part of the job was trying to up-sale and get customers to buy better products in the economy. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and learning a lot about each one.
Can be a fun place to work, just a shame they don't care about advancement of employees
Salesman (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, wiFebruary 11, 2013
Co-workers are great for the most part and I learned how to maximize sales. Management lacks responsibility and at times tends to be lazy. The hardest part of my job is to make enough money to live on, even though I am/ was the number two salesman in the company. The company takes too much and gives too little. A typical day at work involves upselling customers from stuff that makes little money to a product that better suits them.
Cons
healthcare, job advancement, hours
Great potential long hours
Manager In Training (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 20, 2013
Great training
Make however much you want.
Long Hours
Great team members
Slow promotions
Pros
commission
Cons
long hours no salary
fast pace work with great people
shipping (Former Employee) –  pewaukee wiOctober 27, 2015
i got to work on my own and was trusted to get my work done. didnt have a set end schedule so it made working alot easier. got to be friends with my co-workers. learned how to use a product scan gun to pick orders, also learned how to drive a fork lift. all round a good place to work
Teamwork was a plus. Good benefits/pay/advancement opportunities.
Team Developer Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIAugust 13, 2014
Enjoyed working here. Management recognized employee potential which resulted in opportunities for advancement. Teamwork a plus! Management even stepped up to help out in subordinates roles when needed.
lots of work with no help
Belair Rd, MD United States (Former Employee) –  baltimore, MDJanuary 31, 2015
very poor management, manager are very races and both manager are family members so they always think they are always right. no break for lunch or bathroom, no free lunch or dinner. working in holiday was always a bonus check so that was good. leave the company base on one person with pressure and no help, and at the end of the shift, complains with stuffs. very poor management.
Pros
bonus check on holidays
Cons
poor management
This sums up my job at American TV
Retail sales (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IAApril 7, 2013
I would rate American TV as an average job in the work world. Gained great friendships which I intend to carry on after I leave American TV. Having limited lunch breaks I like to sit down and eat somewhere, and enjoy my lunch. I love when it's the prime of the day and customers come in, make sales and do what I can do at my best. Management is strictly to aggressive. Redeemed great knowledge in customer relations. Helping a lot more clients in a timely manner.
Pros
discounts and accommodations on products
Cons
commission paid structure is never set and stone
Good Place to Work
Furniture and Contract Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 8, 2013
Management is excellent, they care and work with you. Benefits are terrible, and stress is high. Lot of hours. Good money.
Sr Buyer
Senior Buyer/Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 9, 2014
Buying and marketing of consumer electronics,Best co-workers, management was micro managers. we went through some re-organizations a couple of times but the same amount of work needed to be done so last 5 or so years were stressful until we closed in April of 2014
Great Company, while it lasted
Home Theater Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 26, 2014
American was a great company to work for, until they decided to go out of business. I was so happy that I finally found a career that I really loved. It is unfortunate that it didn't last very long. I will miss it.
Pros
great atmosphere, fun environment, good people
Cons
going out of business
Great experiences and people.
Mentor new sales staff (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 27, 2012
American TV has been my home for over 6 years.
I have learned to be a more seasoned professional and it has helped me understand business up to a management level.
co-workers
Furniture Sales (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, ILJuly 16, 2013
co-workers were great. hardest working people in the business. company managed from out of state really hurt this company. They are no longer in business in illinois or Missouri.
Pros
huge retail environment
Cons
out of state and out of touch management
Work life balance was bad until they were ready to tank.
Furniture Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 30, 2014
The place is out of business due to bad management, pure and simple.
Store Closed
Visual Design Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WISeptember 27, 2014
This company was run by an individual that should not been in a CEO position, he was not qualified to do the job and it lead to the stores demise.
fun place to work love my job
All appliance sales (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 27, 2014
I will deal with a high volume of customers each day. Deal with
contractors applaince needs and timetable. Follow up with my
deliveries from the previous day. The hardest part was dealing with open sales and making sure I was ready whrn they were. the most fun was helping people find what they wanted for applainces, and
making them happy. I would like to continue working there, but American is closing. There are 11 stores being affected by this
Pros
commission, could make what you needed
Cons
draw.. if you didnt delivery they would pay you, but you would have to pay it back
Had potential, but treated customers and employees poorly.
Furniture Sales (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, ILMay 2, 2012
I'd rather not be negative.

Suffice it to say, if nothing else, American gave me the opportunity to learn how to troubleshoot and take care of customers despite many obstacles. It gave me the opportunity to meet and train many salespeople. Working there makes all my other jobs easier by comparison.
Pros
10 minutes from my house, i have good friends from working there.
Cons
hours, lack of professionalism and respect, they made it difficult to take care of customers
fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockford,ILMay 12, 2015
worked in the warehouse, not too hard of a job. Had a great boss and coworkers, but the company decided to close its' doors.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
company closed, pay
OK Company
SALES PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOMarch 30, 2012
My experience with American was less than great. It is a small furniture and electronics chain that pays on 100% commission. I was good at my job, and one of the top salesmen, but tough to provide in this economy on straight commission selling TVs. Also, shortly after I left, the company closed its doors in St Louis.
Pros
location, coworkers
Cons
pay, hours
Always something different to do every day
Car & In-Home installer (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILApril 8, 2012
Love installing radios, speakers, remote starts, or anything in a car.
Installed home theaters, TVs.
Like meeting new people.
Keep the warehouse organized and keep cleaned.
Picked-up and droped-off parts from customers.
Great co-workers.
Cons
laid-off

2.3