American Type Culture Collection Employee Reviews

difficult place in which to work
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAOctober 30, 2016
I could write a book, no advancement, low salaries they justify by comparing manassas to Richmond. micromanagement, no consistent direction by upper management
Pros
refinement of biologist and scientist positions backfired, they didnt readujust exist personnel, they dont care about existing emplyees. just trying to satisfy the backlog of open positions
Cons
so much short staffing, makes goals difficult to meet
Fun and Amazing on the job learning experience
Quality Control Cell Biologist (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 5, 2016
Amazing place to work when first out of school. Pay could be better. Depending on the department you work in there are possible places to cross train and learn a lot of new skills that can be added to your resume.
Pros
Great work vs life balance, good health care
Cons
Low pay
Management is not interested in promoting growth for their employees or including them in process changes they do not do on a daily basis
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAMay 12, 2016
I like what I actually do; however, there is zero room for growth or promotion in the company unless you are already in a management position. The company is very top heavy and consistently adding on more senior management to different departments. They change processes and programs without consulting or including lower individuals who actually work with the process or program on a daily basis. They make decisions to improve customer service without actually asking anyone who works directly with the customers on a daily basis if it would be a feasible change. A lot of management tends to make things personal if you disagree with them about something and do not hesitate to create tension within the group. The lower level employees do not trust their management for any reason so there are a lot of issues that go unsaid as a result. Training is a non-existent program at this company. Be prepared to not learn what you actually need to and be given a crash course. If you have the qualifications to get a job elsewhere do it. This company is not a team and only cares about money.
Pros
Half hour lunch break and benefits. Good co-workers.
Cons
Management and unwillingness to promote anyone less then management position.
big-pharma wanna-be
Senior Biologist (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VirginiaMay 21, 2015
ATCC is a great place for young scientists to get their feet wet doing a broad range of science. Management is always changing due to the CEO/President. The company wishes to expand into big Pharma, but lacks the direction from the CEO/President who has been there for decades. It is one of the largest biological resource centers in existence but it doesn't support a lot of research and development to enhance its own materials.
Pros
broad range of science being done
Cons
compensation, lack of upward mobility
very good job with the opportunity to grow in skills
Biological Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 20, 2014
Begin work by getting bulk tank levels and checking levels of liquid nitrogen tanks. Sign into computer and collect specimen to enter information into computer. Unpack NHANES specimen and after entering information, distribute specimen to designated location for scientists. Liaison when necessary between distributor and supervisor.
I still keep in contact with previous co-workers and management gave me their information when I left to contact them if necessary.
The down time was the hardest time. Waiting for supervisor to outline next assignment. The most enjoyable time was at the end of the day knowing all that I was told was done to the best of my ability,
Pros
free breakfast, trip to Savannah Ga with supervisor and coworkers work related.
Cons
work injuries could be severe.
The company is moving away from new products that require capital investments
Lead Biologist (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VASeptember 11, 2013
Initially a challenging job of fulfilling a NIH contract,re quiring R&D approach to new product development. The company has moved away from new product development and focuses on production of established items with larger sales volume. R&D focuses has been diminished.
I am in a unique position as lead Biologist. This position has no authority. I cannot direct personel, but instead I am a counselor.
Staff is very competent. My coworkers are encouraged to report any miss steps no matter how small, I encounter, to the supervisor. The department has a new policy of recording any miss recorded info on a Work order which is recorded at HR. This policy has been covered in the past by a 1 on 1 with the supervisor. Work orders were then corrected.
Pros
good benefits, plus an addition pension plan
Cons
micromanaged, understaffing, redundent documentation
Good working environment
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Manassas VAJune 4, 2013
I found my work to be interesting and my co-workers to be friendly
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAApril 22, 2013
Great work enviroment. It's a wonderful company.That's all i can really say about this company.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Challenging Position
Biologist (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMarch 12, 2013
Very difficult to be productive with negative coworkers. Enjoyed the position, but not all of my peers.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Manassas VirginiaOctober 18, 2012
•Received over 40-50 calls a day
•Replaced and tracked orders using the DHL and Fed-ex website
•Returned calls regarding account status and missing information
•Attended all conference calls, monthly meetings, and trainings
•Looked-up customer accounts and resolved concerns
•Performed clerical duties like filing and faxing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Type Culture Collection. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9