American University Employee Reviews

Great university
Doctoral Student (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2018
I did not work at this university, I was simply a student. It has a rigorous didactic program and you must work hard to keep up with the readings and deliverables.
Great place to work, great students, great environment all around
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2018
American University is a great campus, with great students. No wonder its School of Communications is among the nation's top 10! I can't say enough good things about AU.
great benefits
Public Safety Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2018
American University has great benefits but the employees of American University are not protected or fought for. There are many positions that do not have room for advancement.
Pros
benefits, tuition remission
Cons
no room for advncement in some poitions
Nice workplace
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Manatí Municipio, PRJanuary 11, 2018
Good workplace, nice coworkers. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you don't do the same thing over and over. I learned a lot and the manager was very friendly.
Scientific lab experience
Laboratory Internship (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2018
Typically I would go in and work on the main project which was testing different water runoff from DC fire stations. Some days I would take on tasks from other laboratory work that my internship professor needed help with. Although I was interested in the projects I was working on, I found the solitary nature of the work dissatisfying. The overall experience was positive but I would prefer more group work.
Pros
hands on learning experience, realized a laboratory job was not for me, and liked seeing how the research directly contributed to the DC community
Cons
not many hours and no coworkers
Part-time, Temporary, (Former Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCJanuary 5, 2018
If you enjoy multitasking in a fast pace environment, working with really professional and fun coworkers, you will love AU.

Free access to the Law library, was a plus!
Pros
Up-to-date technology, beautiful building.
Cons
Short-term assignment. Would have loved to stay longer.
Great School
FINANCIAL AID ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2018
-Healthy environment with family like culture
-Upper management is willing to listen, consider and implement ideas of subordinate staff
-Pleasure working together as a team to accomplish office and university goals
Au
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 1, 2018
Do your research. It is a very difficult place to find community and people who truly care about other people. It seems good on the surface, but once you work here, you learn the real deal.
Good academic environment
Professor (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 28, 2017
American University is a good mid-tier university, with many talented and interesting faculty and a strong engagement with public affairs. TA's are provided for adjuncts, and interacting with undergrads is great, but the pay is abysmal.
Pros
intellectual stimulation
Cons
low pay
Ed. Tec. Prof.
Part time Instructional Technology Professor (Former Employee) –  Manatí, PRDecember 23, 2017
Great teaching experience working in the night program mainly with adult students that worked during the day. There I offered several courses, including the integration of computers in Education toi prospect teachers.
Pros
The schedule.
Cons
No cons.

Want to know more about American University?

Ask a question
I am going to miss being a part of the American University Community
Locksmith/Access Control Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 4, 2017
This was a wonderful place to work. Except for the commute, I loved all of it. It was tough at first, the University didn't know how to manage our unit since we were both facilities based and public safety and security based. I had 13 different supervisors in 11+ years. Not due to any incompetence on their part but we basically ran our own shop and they didn't know where to put us. I would recommend American University to anyone who is looking for a community based employment opportunity.
Pros
Excellent Retirement Program and Benefits
Cons
You pay close to $1, 500.00 per year to park on campus.
I was an adjunct professor so it was great to work with students in my field.
Adjunct Professor and Student Advisor (Current Employee) –  American University Park, DCNovember 13, 2017
As an adjunct professor I was able to stay in touch with new entrants to my field. I was able to share my experiences with them as well as learn from their new perspectives.
Pros
Teaching is very rewarding
Cons
no cons
Committed faculty and great environment to study and work.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 10, 2017
A typical day at work involves reading papers written by undergraduate and graduate students, and providing feedback on how to communicate and frame arguments effectively.
productive and fun place to work
Shift Eng. 1st Class (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 6, 2017
made it comfortable for employees so they could perform the best work to the best of their ability. i really learned a lot while there and built good working relationship.
Pros
summer cookouts
Cons
short breaks
amazing and rewarding
Web Coordinator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 20, 2017
I worked in the bookstore during the school year where i supervised twelve others in completing online orders for book purchases for the American University students
Communication Specialist
Communication Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 2, 2017
A typical day at work included getting work orders, good management, relaxed environment, flexible hours great staff to work with. Would highly recommend working at this job.
Being a professor in a university is a great opportunity both to teach and to learn.
Executive in Residence (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 18, 2017
I have a very long commute which is the major driver for seeking a job change. The academic environment is as challenging as you choose to make it. I have made it challenging by creating two courses from a blank sheet of paper that I teach each semester. This has been very gratifying. One course is the subject of a book that will be published in October called "Learn from Failure: The Key to Successful Decision Making." The second course, "Peace Through Entrepreneurship Practicum," will be the basis of my second book to be called "The Business of Peace."

Having the opportunity to innovate and re-invent myself is very important to me. So is operating in a challenge environment and having the opportunity to learn. I have created those opportunities for myself at American University (AU).

Academia is a very malleable environment. There are many areas of opportunity to step up to a challenge through innovation. This is especially true because one gets to do this in a vacuum. It is not a risk taking culture at AU. Quite the contrary. It is risk averse.

I would be very comfortable leaving academia for the right opportunity. Working hard is in my genes. I love it. I love a challenge. I am a high energy guy who want to get thoughtfully conceived things done. I have a ton of successful experience in change management. I have led a very large, international organization as President of American Express Bank, that operated in over 30 countries and had over 3000 employees with $16 billion in assets.

I have also worked as consultant both for a firm (Lobue
  more... Associates) and stand-alone. I expect my book, "Learn from Failure..." to serve as a platform for speaking engagements and consulting. However, that will not be enough to satisfy my thirst for challenge.  less
Pros
Academic year allows for highly flexible time management and time off.
Cons
Struggling with filling teaching load requirements.
part time job was great for grade student
Hearings Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 18, 2017
not much to say besides it paid some bills and was very easy to do. Management was great and expected you to prioritize school which was the only thing important to me.
Don't do it for the money...
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2017
...But do it for the job. I loved my experience, but only because of the work itself and the community of the staff. It's not a job you take for the payout. It's a job you take because you'll carry it with you.
Buen ambiente laboral y con os recursos necesarios
Mathematic Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bayamon, PRAugust 4, 2017
Buena infraestructura, buen ambiente laboral y con los recursos necesarios
Pros
apoyo de la institucion a maestros y profesores
Cons
no tengo senalamientos