American University Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working with Military Personnel
Military Territory Sales Councilor (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAApril 18, 2017
Spent week setting up appointments for weekend presentations to Military Units throughout the Pacific NW and Alaska.
Compensation was extremely poor as it was strictly commission.
Pros
Loved educating Military personnel
Cons
Management and Pressure of sales
I was a contractor but most of the people I interacted with were wonderful.
Freelance Systems Analyst/ Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2017
I was a contractor so I don't have first hand knowledge of being an employee and the work I did was sporadic. The employees I worked with were wonderful.
Great
Associate Fellow (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 2, 2017
A great place to be, a great place to work, great people, wonderful bosses. You should certainly consider working here, as it is a great place to work.
Flexible Environment
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 28, 2017
Great place to work with total understanding for student needs and schedules. Allowed for students to pick schedules that work with classes and internships.
Fun
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 22, 2017
I got to take pictures of the school grounds for their website, which helped with getting more photography experience.

The campus was huge so it made for a very lovely experience.
Innovation Game
AD (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2017
American University has been an hub of new ideas coming together to reimagine the student experience. This has been energizing and exciting to be a part of developing a new paradigm for community and student engagement.
Athletics makes it better
Interim Head Athletic Equipment Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2017
Work is fun, Management can be difficult at times. No room for advancement. Would like to find something new to better my career.
Pros
Free food, Free Athletic wear
Cons
No room for advancement
great
Material Supply Coordinator (Former Employee) –  washington dcJanuary 19, 2017
a great place to work the pay is is good hour is goodFocus on the company and your individual experience while employed there
Monitored Student Teachers
University Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2017
Teachers in this program have received degrees in fields other than teaching science or mathematics. Assisted student teachers in developing skills to teach in the secondary school.
I loved it but it had its quirks
Financial Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2017
I loved AU and all that it stands for whether it be politics, progression or fossil free fuels. I loved my office environment and the people I worked with. The one issue I had was management. I was supervised by a director who was in every sense of the word absent and who also had no interest in my position. With that being said i am sure that you can only imagine what the day to day was like. Overall I have spent many years at AU and I was happy until I got to my 3rd position. (The one I described above).

All in all Au is a great place to work. Just do your research before you accept the position.
Pros
1 Hour Lunch, Cheap Gym Membership, Great Benefits, Flexibility, 10 day Holidat break
Cons
Location, Not many paid holidays during the year, High turnover rate
American University
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 2, 2017
Good job great people to work with but to much of a commute for me. Busy when Students and faculty are away during summer and winter break.
Pros
Great Pay and benefits
Cons
commute
Overall good work experience
Intramural Sports Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2016
Met a lot of great coworkers that I'm now close friends with. The leadership is not always prepared for situations that arise but it's an easy work environment.
Productive and accesible
Library Tech Services Desk Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2016
Working on campus is very convenient. My customers are my peers and staff so it makes for a comfortable atmosphere. What I love most about this job is being able to assist my peers and make them feel more comfortable, asking library staff for assistance.
Allowed Me to Develop
Adjunct Faculty - College Writing Program (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2016
American University not only allowed me to develop personally, the university also allowed me to develop professionally. It is an accepting, inclusive environment.
Accounting department
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 10, 2016
I would like to work in an environment that gives quality training and communication is open across the organization. This is a large issue within certain organization.
very good place to work.
Banquet Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 20, 2016
Very good benefits, schedule and team workers.
Manager were willing to help their employees. Over all decent place to work.
My review
NETWORK OPERATIONS CENTER ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20016October 6, 2016
Great people do work with. Management however value employees . Very diverse employee pool . Would never work for the company again. Good employees bad management.
Pays good life balance, not so much
Food Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2016
Make sure you ask exactly what schedule they need filled. Union enployees , so discipline is hard to impliment. Managers leave no support. No training
Pros
Good wages, vacation time, pto, benefits
Cons
Work life balance, you may be relocated without notice
Great comrodory
Master Plumber (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2016
It's is a nice place to work. Benefits are good but pay could be better. Management says pay is the highest in dc which is not true. Management is not honest with employees. Also management does not provide all the tools necessary for employees to succeed.
Security guard not police
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2016
The job is great for retired law enforcement, those who choose to make security their career, or those pursuing education. Issues with scheduling result in mandatory, unpredictable, overtime due to 24 hour operations with inadequate shift overlap. Many have the impression that management does not care for the employees and is ineffective.

A typical day is spent responding to calls involving unlocking doors and resetting alarms, with the occasional medical call and extremely rare criminal incident. When not responding to calls employees are expected to walk through campus wot maintain visibility.

High level of dissatisfaction among junior employees leading to extremely high turnover, many employees leave after less than one year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American University. Our community is ready to answer.

American University Reviews by Location