American University

American University Employer Reviews

I enjoy teaching and being there for my students .
language consultant and an OPI tester (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 4, 2014
Pros: my teaching team
Cons: advancements
Enjoy preparing for my classes. Get authentic material and introduce culture to my students.
Learned how to be a facilitator.
Attend and participate in meetings and have open communication with my management,
Have a great team to work with. We learn from each other and support one another and share material on daily basis.
Trying to cope with students – more... personal problems and guide them to student counselors to resolve their issues without getting personal.
When I see that my message went through and my students say Arabic means Professor Shaghaf to them They continue with me for years learning Arabic. – less
Absolute worse company to even apply
IT specialist (Former Employee), Washington D.C.April 23, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: very unfriendly staff
Don't waste your time applying here. They make you go through several steps of hiring, then choose an internal candidate over you. They have done this two times to me and god knows how many times they have done it with others. I was over qualified for the their listing and both time they emailed me telling that they picked an internal candidate.
Great experience
Health Fitness Supervisor (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 9, 2014
I fully enjoyed my time at American University as a Fitness Supervisor. It was a good atmosphere to work in.
Friendly environment with job security.
Police Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: free uniforms and cleaning, 200% retirement contribution matching.
Cons: many different responsibilities outside of the scope of law enforcement.
The American University is a safe environment with friendly staff, faculty and students. The equipment and facilities are satisfactory. The culture at American University promotes education and growth. Dedication is rewarded with advancement and respect. It has a family feeling and my co-workers are self respecting professionals.
The job is conducted – more... like a regular police department, just on a smaller scale. Calls for service are dispatched via radio and consist of criminal investigations, medical assistance and general police assistance.
Management is very experienced with backgrounds in major law enforcement agencies.
The best part of the day are the friendships shared in the Department. – less
Great company to work for.
Applications Credentials Evaluator (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: ability to work from home
Cons: would like to go into the office more often to connect with co-workers
A typical day at work consists of evaluating applications for prospective students. I have learned about important aspects on the enrollment process and my supervisor has shown a positive attitude while maintaining a professional demeanor.
Good working experience
Support Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 31, 2013
Pros: good experience
Since I worked in two departments, my duties at AU were different. Part of my responsibilities required my Help Desk knowledge, Administrative Support, and Front Desk reception. A typical day involved directing telecommunications, make reports, update filles, inventory of equipment, Network Tech support, remove virus from incomming student computers. – more... I learn a lot about computer software, operating systems, Microsoft Windows, and Lotus Notes 7.1. My co-workers were very good because it was my job to make sure time sheet were up to date and everyone would get paid on time. The most enjoyable part of the job allowed me to take college level course free. – less
This was an interview
Guest on Student (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 6, 2013
Students interviewed me for explanation of 30% recycled content in recyclable container.
Excellent work environment and learning opportunities
Director of Major Gifts (Former Employee), CairoNovember 17, 2013
Pros: children get a free college education, health coverage and retirement plans are great
Cons: does not provide a career path
I spent 17 years of my professional life at the American University in Cairo where I had exposure to unique learning experiences.
Great place to work after graduation in May.
Interim Assistant to the Executive Director (Current Employee), Washington DCOctober 10, 2013
Since graduating in May I have worked in the Office of Student Conduct and Coflic Resolution and the Office of Student Activities and University Center. Interim positions have been a great option while I have been transitioning. My co-workers have been friendly and supportive and the University has a wealth of resources.
No ping pong unless you decide to play on your lunch hour. Help yourself.
Student Services Counselor (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2013
A typical day at work consist of answering calls, emails, working with students, parents and co-workers. Management is very helpful and caring as well as co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when others are not doing there job so this hinders you from being able to complete your job successfully. The most enjoyable is when you have made a customer – more... smile, gave them a little bit of hope and joy and they will tell you. I love doing what I do always willing and able to assist others. Thanks – less
Senior Purchasing Agent (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 22, 2013
Been a long time, but when I was there, it was a very good place to work but the pay was very low.
Good learning environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 20, 2013
If you're the top 10% of your class, you'll get a lot out of your program and post college degree in the workspace.
Better place to work
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 13, 2013
always busy; learned many things; good director and manager; the best co-workers; year-end closing; and employees appreciation week.
Serving the students
Letts Hall Dorm Receptionist (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 5, 2013
The American University Office of Housing and Dinning is dedicated to serving the students of the university. It was the goal to make life on campus more pleasant for each student while living and attending classes.
just another job
Patrol Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 3, 2013
Pros: out and open
Cons: long days
A long day of meeting new and old people both for good and bad.
Fun work place
Arabic - MSA Instructor/Adjunct (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 21, 2013
Pros: free parking
Cons: no health care, no benefits.
•Teaching Arabic -MSA- Intermediate, ARAB - 202 courses for undergraduate students.
Love to meet those Kids, have them laughing and just enjoying the looks on their faces when they come into my station.
Counter Attendent (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 30, 2013
Pros: lunch breaks are 45 min.
Cons: short breaks are 15 min
A typical day at work for me is, getting changed up into my uniform, getting everything I need for my station, putting food in the proper places, talking and just enjoying what I love to do, My Management get along really well, because they know I am a good worker, good team player and they can depend on me when needed day or night. The hardest part – more... of the job is breaking everything down, because you know it's quitting time and I won't see those kids until the next's day. The most enjoyable part of the day is just being there, My co-workers and I get along really well, and to just be there for those 8 hours knowing your day is gonna be a good day. – less
Great place to work for
Student Services Counselor (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 2, 2013
I've been employed with this organization for four years and I think it is a great organization to work for.
Great Learning Experience
Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 3, 2013
Being part of the Student Managed Investment Fund was a great learning experience
Not bad
Research Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 12, 2013
Working at AU is not bad, I do not have a full time position so it doesn't include any benefits but as a grad student, working on campus helps with my development as well as day-to day expenses.

1 2 3