American University Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun place
Financial aid/Student Services Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 17, 2016
Our number one goal is to assist customers in resolving issues within the shortest possible time. We process award, loans and advise students on various loan options and also repayments.

I have learnt a lost about financial aid, loans and also federal regulations.

Management is great they ensure everyone is comfortable in their position.

I have a dynamic group of co-workers from different nationalities. I therefore learn a lot from each other.

The hardest part is dealing with customers who fail to accept they do not qualify for aid. We try our best to make them understand and also provide them options.

Most enjoyable part is working with students/customers. I come in contact with a wide range of personalities and also happy when a customers leaves with their issue resolved to satisfaction
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
None I can think of
Great Job
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 2, 2016
I come in to work at 3 o clock and i sit down and complete my shift until 11 pm. I am guaranteed 40 hrs. It is a great place to work.
Pushed me out of my comfort zone
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 20, 2016
What I learned the most from my assistantship is the importance of writing for video. What I mean by that is when you make a video, what is on screen does not have to match the voice over.
I did not work with any co-workers, it was just the professor and I so I can't say too much about working with anyone else however, that was the toughest part of the job. Not having someone to turn to for help or creative input. I met with my professor once a week to go over the video material and got feedback from him so I had to make judgment calls myself.
That being said, working on my own to create a video is also enjoyable because it allows me to be creative and express myself. That constitutes a good work environment because I do my best work when there aren't many rules and I can express my strengths.
Easy work for college students
Work Award Student (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
Work Award student
Helped with office work
Called prospective students
Easy work
Detail oriented required
I improved my phone speaking skills
Co-workers friendly
Supervisor friendly and understanding
Fun to work
Master, Ph.D. Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  LondonMarch 8, 2016
I love to work at this University, its a cross functional organization that allowed us to be in touch with all students and faculty staff
Typically, not a bad place to work
Space Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2016
AU is great place to work if you land in the right department. Big on benefits, annual salary increases, very open to flexible work schedules and is environmentally engaged, one might just consider AU to be the perfect job nexus.

Human Resources values the staff and invests greatly in making available opportunities to improve one's professional skills and general learning. It employs training and development coursework to help one evolve to the best professional one can be. HR employs performance based software (PMP) on the intranet to monitor personal progress over several performance metrics, which under some job titles can be somewhat ambiguous for some jobs, as there may be little room to improve. The process includes mandatory performance reviews by the management teams.

The unfortunate hook in this process is the management teams, which, depending what department one is hired, may or may be "on board" with the entire university program. The management culture is based on nine fiefdoms that all too often are not inclined to work in an circumspect manner, in sharp contrast to the university's stated program. This structure, in my experience, is too inclined to look the other way, e.g, if the head of your division doesn't care about training, only a few select individuals receive training. That being said, I suppose every university has its own management challenges to contend with, and AU can be an exceptional experience for the right candidate.
Pros
Benefits, competitive compensation, opportunity for annual salary increases.
Cons
Management can often be insular and short sighted.
Excelente oportunidad para crecimiento.
Programa Federal de Estudio y Trabajo (Former Employee) –  Bayamón, PRMarch 3, 2016
Un día normal, es uno tranquilo en el área de Departamento Atlético.
Aprendí a relacionarme con más estudiantes y trabajos de oficina. Mis gerenciales eran excelentes, muy empáticos con el personal. Mis compañeros siempre muy respetuosos. En realidad no había alguna parte difícil en el, ya que era un trabajo liviano para estudiantes universitarios. La parte más agradable era que si no teníamos alguna taréa asignada por el momento, nos permitían estudiar o hacer una taréa de alguna clase en ese tiempo.
Days go by pretty quick
Communication Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 1, 2016
First time working for a college and it's not to bad. Some days are pretty busy but there some down time. I enjoy the day shift hours and the officers I work with.
Does basic math teaching right, for the most part...
Term Faculty (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 26, 2016
Unlike so many universities, including high tuition private ones, American does not save on general education mathematics classes by hiring a plethora of adjuncts and cramming them into huge lecture halls. Most of these classes are taught by full term faculty, have no more than 30 students per class including a student TA for grading and reviews. However, since student evaluations are pretty much the only criteria for success, these classes are prone to ridiculous grade inflation and less than formidable rigor. If you survive the extremely tough first year, you are pretty much guaranteed continuation even though long term contracts will only arrive at year four. Overall, it is by far the best place I taught and would highly recommend it to my fellow colleagues.
Great Adjunct Posting
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 7, 2016
Great University and an Interesting Approach to Graduate Education. I loved the idea of bringing foreign students to Washington to study American institutions and helping them develop contacts in town. The American administrative staff were supportive.
Pros
Good Students, Good Atmosphere
Cons
Course was dropped from schedule
We work together as TEAM..
Installer/Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 24, 2015
I learned a lot from my boss how to install the computers and basic repair computers. Performed troubleshooting on student computers. Completed installs on computers for students.
Pros
they hired me without interview right away.. real nice of them
Cons
they dont provide an ASL interpreters for the deaf people like me..They left me out sometimes..
Good people to work with.
Welcome Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 23, 2015
Great location; worked independently; management and co-workers trusted my judgment; able to initiate new procedures; flexible hours; and convenient to retail and restaurants.
Very busy, old software
Senior Accountant - Grant & Contract Accounting (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 6, 2015
No training, great people to work with. No freedom to voice your opinion. Great benefits. Management was very poor, supervisor was never there for his employees.
Pros
7 hours a day work
Cons
No time to take lunch break
The work is very interesting and providing me ample experience of the academic sector. The team is very dynamic, they comes from various cultures!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2015
This is a part time job, I do enjoy working an environment where i interact with a diverse community of professionals and students to work on various research topics and discussion forums. This gives me an opportunity to know more the importance of diversity and learning by doing!
High Paced Catering Operation with good equipment.
Executive Catering Chef (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJuly 8, 2015
I start my day conducting a Pre-Production meeting with my staff and check any emails. Re-Print Banquet Event Orders and place orders for the following day. Assist with staff a staff of 10 people with hands on culinary execution. I attend Labor Meetings and Director Meetings. And the most enjoyable part of my day is training the staff on being food artists.
Pros
Menu Creativity, Great Students and Kitchen Staff
Cons
High Management Turnover
Ambiente Profesional
Profesora de Biología (Former Employee) –  Manati,PRJuly 7, 2015
Mi experiencia como profesora fue una muy enriquecedora. Un dia tipico comenzaba con la llegada a la institución, firmaba la hoja de asistencia y me dirigía al salón de clases. Una vez allí saludaba al estudiantado, pasaba la hoja de asistencia y comenzaba la clases con una pregunta.
Los compañeros de trabajo todos profesionales, muy atentos y dispuestos a aclarar dudas.
Aprendí a prepara el sílabo con todas sus partes. No hubo partes duras pues ya tenía experiencia como educadora. Sin embargo no deja de ser el poder educar a otros y transmitir mis conocimientos lo que más disfruto.
Pros
Aprender nuevas tecnicas de enseñanzas
my wordk daily
student development specialist (Former Employee) –  CairoJune 17, 2015
My days stars at 9am till 5pm. Iam giving my self the 30 minutes on the morning to reply to all emails and student requirment. Aftyer that I have to meet with my students to discuss their plans and activities either daily or through the month. Time management and work balnace is the most imoprtant skills that I have to enfornce myself to do daily ;otherwise Ithe job is very stressful. tha atmosphare in general is okay altough people are still need staff development.
Pros
education- insurance -
Cons
staff development is not the core of the school- quantatity is more important than qulaity
Hard-working office with a great group of personalities.
Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 26, 2015
This office was very team-oriented and is a good place for someone who is self-motivated to advance her/his professional skill set.
Relaxed academic comunity
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington DCApril 27, 2015
It has a good/life balance, with decent benefits, but it is lacking challenges as well as opportunities for professional growth.
Worst place to work
Library (Former Employee) –  DCApril 23, 2015
The pay is bad, the school
s academic achievement is exaggerated, another capitalistic vehicle disguised as a non-profit. The last President was sacked because of corruption. Thousands of alumni were better off starting a business than wasting money attending this 3rd rate school-a horrible workplace.