American University Employee Reviews

Ambiente Profesional
Profesora de Biología (Former Employee), Manati,PRJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Aprender nuevas tecnicas de enseñanzas
Mi experiencia como profesora fue una muy enriquecedora. Un dia tipico comenzaba con la llegada a la institución, firmaba la hoja de asistencia y me dirigía al salón de clases. Una vez allí saludaba al – more... estudiantado, pasaba la hoja de asistencia y comenzaba la clases con una pregunta.
Los compañeros de trabajo todos profesionales, muy atentos y dispuestos a aclarar dudas.
Aprendí a prepara el sílabo con todas sus partes. No hubo partes duras pues ya tenía experiencia como educadora. Sin embargo no deja de ser el poder educar a otros y transmitir mis conocimientos lo que más disfruto. – less
my wordk daily
student development specialist (Former Employee), CairoJune 17, 2015
Pros: education- insurance -
Cons: staff development is not the core of the school- quantatity is more important than qulaity
My days stars at 9am till 5pm. Iam giving my self the 30 minutes on the morning to reply to all emails and student requirment. Aftyer that I have to meet with my students to discuss their plans and activities – more... either daily or through the month. Time management and work balnace is the most imoprtant skills that I have to enfornce myself to do daily ;otherwise Ithe job is very stressful. tha atmosphare in general is okay altough people are still need staff development. – less
Hard-working office with a great group of personalities.
Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 26, 2015
This office was very team-oriented and is a good place for someone who is self-motivated to advance her/his professional skill set.
Relaxed academic comunity
Manager (Current Employee), Washington DCApril 27, 2015
It has a good/life balance, with decent benefits, but it is lacking challenges as well as opportunities for professional growth.
Worst place to work
Library (Former Employee), DCApril 23, 2015
The pay is bad, the school
s academic achievement is exaggerated, another capitalistic vehicle disguised as a non-profit. The last President was sacked because of corruption. Thousands of alumni were better off starting a business than wasting money attending this 3rd rate school-a horrible workplace.
Poor pay, poor management
Administration (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 22, 2015
Pros: pays for education
Cons: management, low salaries, disgruntled employees
For the high cost of living and amount of money the University brings in, the pay is not very good. The management is also unresponsive and disorganized. They do not seem to value employee input, and are not transparent at all in their hiring, promotions, or policy implementation. It makes employees feel used and angry.
good company
Head Athletic Equipment Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 13, 2015
Good company work with diverse group of people including many coaches and athletes. Most enjoyable part is taking care of the athletes.
Excellent institution
Assistant Director and Lead Researcher (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 23, 2015
I enjoyed my time at American University both within the Office of AU Nigeria and as a lead researcher in the office of alumni development.
Fun to work at
Computer and Teaching assistant (Former Employee), Manati, PRMarch 22, 2015
Working at the college while studying gave me a chance to meet students and be able to assist them in class properly. Met them to a personal level and communicate effectively to aid them in their class needs.
Pleasant work environment.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Nice work environment.
Cons: None
Responsible for maintaining a $500,000.00 year Fitness Program. This included development and management. Coordinated program between University Department Head and U.S. Postal Medical Director. In charge of all financial matters. The job was a pleasant and fulfilling endeavor. There were no difficulties in any aspect of the job.
American University is a diverse institution that has proven to be benificial to its' employees and the community at large.
Zone Supervisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 6, 2015
A typical day can be and often is fast past requiring changing of plans to meet immediate needs without failing to meet scheduled expectations of routine operations. To be effective a successful manager – more... must listen carefully, be prepared to change direction on any planned or scheduled assignments. Follow up and clarify with customers and management any questions or concerns around request or assignments. A successful manger must establish a consistent respectful working relationship with customers, management, and co-workers. At times the most challenging can be explaining to the end user reasons for delayed delivery of completed projects, materials, or equipment. The most enjoyable is exceeding expectations, a satisfied customer, and knowing I have used every tool available to accomplish the task assigned to me. – less
Great School
Student (Current Employee), Washington, D.C.February 17, 2015
American University is a great school that offers many opportunities for students. The campus life is friendly and the faculty are some of the best!
Troubleshooting for Computers with Students and teachers
Computer Tech (Former Employee), PRFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: teamworking with teachers and students
Cons: minimal pay for hardwork
Learning from the teachers and use the new idea from the students. To create a better workplace for everyone. Working together to build a computer lab so students learn the newest programs and hardware.
Great place to work if you want a steady and easy job...
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: work/life balance
Cons: no upward mobility
The departments throughout American University vary greatly - but in my experience, it is a place that provides a stable income for relatively easy work. The staff are very friendly and come from all over the country/world. Not a lot of upward mobility, but that is just academia in general.
Average
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2015
Enjoyed working there but had to go back to school.Had a fun time with the people.
Great benifits
Police Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: management
I love the benefits and the pay is very generous.

The downside is management is incompetent. The people who say and are promoted are utterly terrible and have no idea how to manage.

My hours are pretty awful but that is what it is when it comes to police positions.
American University is a great place to work.
KEY EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP PROGRAMS (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 12, 2014
American University's Key Executive Leadership Programs Office has a great work environment. The goal of our program is to provide and outstanding, high level learning environment. This is done by having a great team of co-workers that enjoy each other and the students we served.
Calm atmosphere of young, eager professionals
Graduate Student Representative (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 8, 2014
The Justice Programs Office offers a relaxed yet productive work environment with young professionals, many graduate students or recent graduates, where research and the pursuit of social justice through implementing and enhancing drug courts in the USA takes precedent.
Great and Welcoming Organization
Student Involvement Publicity Chair (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 31, 2014
I coordinated public marketing for a student involvement enhancement organization.
Fun place to work
Counseling Center Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 27, 2014
This has always been my favorite job. The staff was so pleasant and always happy.
I made appointments for students and parents.
Maintained the hours of each therapist on a computer program.
Answered telephone calls and filed away confidential student files.