The American Youth Foundation's Camp Merrowvista is looking for a qualified, enthusiastic educator to serve in the role of Sailing Instructor. Camp Merrowvista is a co-ed, overnight summer camp dedicated to helping young people discover their personal best. Interested candidates should be community minded and kid focused. Qulaified applicants should be comfortable with maintenance and operation of small 1-3 person sail boats, and should be able to convey these skills to children on dry land and on the water.
Compensation: Weekly salary, room and board, professional development in the field of positive youth development.
Interested candidates can read more about our camp at www.ayf.com/Merrowvista. Applications can be submitted via the jobs page at www.ayf.com. For more information, contact Kris Light, Director of Camp Programs at 603-539-6607
Detailed position description below.
AMERICAN YOUTH FOUNDATION
Position Title: Sailing Instructor Reports To: Waterfront Coordinator
MISSION: The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social and spiritual living and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
Expectation of All Employees:
Shows commitment to the core values of best self, balanced living, safety, respect, responsibility and stewardship. Supports the organization’s mission, vision and ethics by displaying the following behaviors: integrity, openness and honesty, listening and understanding, giving and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability and accountability.
To support the Pioneer program by instructing sailing, and to work as a member of the waterfront staff team.
- Community expectations- Follow all policies and procedures outlined in the staff Helping Handbook including our alcohol, drug, and tobacco free campus policy
- Take an opening inventory of sailing & waterfront equipment, noting any needs.
- Responsible for riggings boats and assisting with waterfront set-up
- Repair & maintain fleet of sailboats (Pintail, Fishercat, and Rebel, Laser I & Laser II)
- Set-up moorings & boat docking area
- Teach beginning and intermediate sailing classes.
- De-rig boats at end of camp, prepare boats for winter storage
- Be knowledgeable of various kinds of boat rescue (windsurfers, canoes, sailboats) and use the motorboat for rescues
- Assist in general waterfront maintenance
- Create a schedule for sailing camp and instruct campers
- Serve as a member of the waterfront team, assisting with safety orientation, lifeguarding duties, and planning of
waterfront events such as the water carnival
- Be available to teach sailing during village time, and assist with other waterfront needs during this time
- Serve as a free-time boat guard as needed
- Support the Four Trails Program on a rotating basis while they are in camp, help with laundry, lead down-time activities
- Set personal and professional goals for the summer and work towards achieving those goals.
- Participate in community activities, such as Flag Raising, Evening Reflection, Night’s Doings and meals, and
strive to model the mission and values of the American Youth Foundation.
- Live in the center cabin of a Duplex with a Pioneer village
- Support the Pioneer Program by leading Night’s Doings activities, reading stories and supporting campers and leaders
during the evening.
Ability to respond to and direct groups of kids and/or staff in an emergency
Must be able to lift up to 45lbs.
Ability to navigate camp terrain
At least 18 years of age
Experience sailing Laser I and II boats, instructional experience preferred
Current Lifeguard certification (available free during staff training)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for this position. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.