AmericanWest Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Change Creates Opportunity
SVP, Director of Strategic Integration (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 31, 2016
A small company on the brink of failure was morphed into an acquisitive company with a very specific vision to became a "Business Focused Community Bank". Everyone that worked in the company was a stakeholder and the executives truly tried to put employees first. If the partners were engaged and knew the "why" behind decisions they would feel confident in the "go forward" and consequently "exceptional" customer service would follow. A great organization that will be truly missed.
Manager is the best!
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 29, 2015
High tier clients
Wonderful coworkers
Flexible lunch time
Only branch in Los Angeles
Competitive benefits package
Caring management team who looks out for interest of staff
Challenging and fun environment
VP, Tax Manager (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 17, 2015
AmericanWest Bank was on the brink of being absorbed by the FDIC with the financial institution melt down in 1998. The new management team acquired the bank in 2010 and brought with it a new culture while retaining the exceptional talent that was still employed by the Bank. I have enjoyed my position with the Bank - management has been supportive, the work has been challenging so I've increased my knowledge in the tax arena, and the employees have been fun and hard working. I have found AmericanWest Bank to be an exceptional employer.
Awesome coworkers and great benefits
SBA Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Hayden, IDAugust 10, 2015
Everyone I have worked with is very competent at their job. People are willing to work with you whether it is your first day or your last.
Pros
HR, Pay, Management
Cons
lower end technology
Great culture
Director, Facilities and Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 9, 2015
Great leadership team. Work life initiatives and community involvement are very admirable.

A very dynamic, growing company with great vision and expectations.
Fast pace and challenging environment
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 24, 2015
Fast pace and challenging environment. Management and co-workers are helpful. Various meetings, structuring reports along with maintaining appointments and travel schedules.
I made several lasting friendships having work at AmericanWest Bank
Senior Loan Specialist (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORMay 20, 2015
I learned a lot working at AmericanWest Bank. I was transferred to several departments which gave me the ability to learn more about the department and what was involved with the full process of the loans.
Small Community Bank
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 8, 2015
Small Community Bank that is family focused, customer focused, great employee hours. Can't beat working for a bank with true banker hours 9-5!
Extremely employee unfriendly
Deposit Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORFebruary 26, 2015
Management set unfair goals that would be unattainable. I was told that they expected to see 100% turnover. They made it clear from the start that they would not expect anyone to stay.
benefits
Cons
very unprofessional and uncaring
Pleasant place to work
Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 22, 2015
My temporary 6 months position with AWB was a pleasant one, the staff was friendly and very helpful. The hardest part of the job was sitting in one place all day.
It's all about applying yourself
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 30, 2014
If you apply yourself to the company mission you will be very successful. The most successful employees are the ones who work together and honor the entire client relationship and client satisfaction. Those who seem to be dissatisfied were not eager to work in a team environment and bring others into a client relationship.
Pros
i worked with a great team of individuals.
Cons
divisiveness within teams slowed progress.
Privided an opportunity to use my career skills. Good dedication to community. Skilled managers.
Vice President - Business Banking Officer (Former Employee) –  Oregon RegionDecember 27, 2013
Solid business plan. My coworkers were dedicated, experienced and team oriented.
Growing pains
Credit Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAAugust 27, 2013
Laid back atmosphere with independent work environment, flexible, 8 to 5, never had overtime. Good pay and benefits, salaried, immediate manager was great. I learned more about analysis in learning a spreading system that was newer to me, Credit Quest. My co-workers were great. When I came back from maternity leave, I had learned that with the continual expansion of the bank, my job was being centralized, thus eliminating my position in the area where I live. The hardest part of the job was continual change and inconsistency and the most enjoyable part was feeling comfortable and a sense of security.
Pros
flexibility, moderate work flow most of the time
Cons
constant change and inconsistency with continuing expansion of the bank
Growing company - exciting place to work
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 27, 2013
For a non-banker coming into a banking position, it was challenging to find information that would help me understand the vernacular. Once I did understand it, I was overwhelmed with how exciting the banking world is. AmericanWest Bank is a dynamic company growing rapidly with new acquisitions. Employees have great potential here to try new things and think outside of the box to find processes that improve growth without adding expense for the company. Each day is a new experience! There is never a dull moment and hard work is seen in all employees from the top down.
A disappointment is that health insurance covers less than half of our medical expenses but I believe that AWB chose CIGNA because it was economically prudent to drive down expenses and increase the profit margin of the company. My opinion is that as they grow larger they could have the capacity to pay a little more for insurance so their employees have better coverage. While it is better than having no insurance, this aspect could be a factor utilized in retaining existing and attracting new employees.
Pros
401k option is encouraging.
Cons
health insurance (cigna) is poor.
More of a community type bank
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAApril 6, 2013
Not a bad place to work just a lot of different changes over the years.
co-workers were good to work with. Had a very enjoyable customer base.
Pros
healthcare, paid vacations, paid holidays, paid sick days and 401k plan.
Cons
the hourly rate could have been better.