Americas Thrift Stores Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent Management Opportunity
Director (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 25, 2016
Working at ATS is very rewarding because not only are you supporting your family. You are helping to support worthy causes in your local community.

There is always room to advance within the company.

New management is trying to change to a people centered culture.

Now is a very exciting time to work here!
Pros
Very involved in Charitable Organizations within the local community
Cons
Demanding work schedule
productive and fun filled work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 19, 2016
Great workers, excellent co workers, great atmosphere to work in, also management was excellent ,everyday was a challenge to see who would get the most in sells
50/50 shot-Decent company
Donation Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALMarch 16, 2016
The company itself is great, it is a wonderful way to help local and national people in need. The ADLM is a bit tricky to deal with as he is quite inconsistent in his intentions-hard to tell what his motives are. His higher ups are much nicer though.
Pros
Helpful company
Cons
The Area Manager
love working in fun place
CEO - Mega Petroleum (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHOctober 6, 2015
I established a fully trusted customers, more than 8 years since I left that job still having a lot of friends asking about me from that place
Great feeling helping people
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 16, 2015
I love to help others and i love to travel so this job was awesome. Gave me the opportunity to travel this great nation and help people save their homes and make them happy.
Pros
seeing a happy family
Cons
lots of time away from family.
Uneven
LabCorp Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2015
Work force not treated the same. Boss tells people different things. Doesnt like making decisions. Influence from bottom up and not top down. Makes it hard to get work load done.
Exceptional Employer
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSAugust 15, 2015
They really value their employees by providing their managers with the necessary tools in order to be successful in advancing sales growth.
Floater (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 27, 2015
A thrift store of many stores rising in popularity due to its fantastic prices, however sometimes there are many complaints about the prices so its hard to please every customer. Overall, its a good place to work that offers good benefits and team work is an over all 8/10
Pros
Breaks every two hours, choice of formal or casual clothing
A fun way of learning
Student (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLApril 22, 2015
It is a program for high school and college students that are interested in the medical field. It was not a job it was a program for students.
Pros
Being apart of a team
Cons
Productive work place and perfect work life balance
Unix/Linux System Admin (Current Employee) –  PittsburghApril 15, 2015
Productive work place and perfect work life balance . good company is worked for ... there is nothing more to talk about ...
The Financial progress of My Clients
MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATOR/CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting with clients and preparing them for home ownership. It is rewarding to see a client thinking they will not be ale to achieve the American Dream of home ownership, but with help and guidance is able to achieve this.
Pros
the diversity of my clients, learn a lot about cultural interaction and tolerance
Cons
12 hours sometimes 14 hours work day, i also attend school.
Wonderful company to work for
Builder Marts (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCFebruary 16, 2015
In working for Builder Marts Of America it was this company that gave me a chance to get into the accounting industry. During my time there I worked in A/P and learned how to code, input, and run checks. Additionally, I worked to acquire experience in A/R as well and did some minor staff accountant tasks. One of my most enjoyable accomplishments was both working on the A/R team and doing some of the monthly reconciliations.
Pros
wonderful culture, family type of atmosphere
Recording Music trying to get it right. Hard work pays
Musician (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 3, 2015
Its going to take a while to become successful at this, but I'm on my way; it is my dream. I learn every day with every sound that I hear. Inspiration can come from anywhere or anything. The hardest part is getting the tracks in time and remembering the right words to say. When I stop thinking is when it comes out right. Right now my band is just that of two, and the fact that we don't really have the resources we need, makes it more difficult. But we make due with what we have. The best part of the Job is to listen to the music afterward and to hear all the things thought up in my mind.
Pros
its my heart
Cons
no fiscal payout
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 3, 2015
I was a ticket taker and ALSO USHER HELP CUSTOMER TO THERE SIT. clean the lobby area when the games where over. sever lunch the other employee when they were short emplyees
I worked long hours, but jobs were mostly rewarding.
Executive Director, Literacy Volunteers (Former Employee) –  Grants, NMJanuary 3, 2015
For the teaching jobs, the days consisted of working with students, conducting classes and labs, preparing for classes, grading work, and working online with distance education classes. I learned more science beyond my specialities in geology, evolution, history of life on earth. I learned more chemistry, physics, human anatomy and physiology, and microbiology. I also learned to appreciate diverse ethnic groups (African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, Asian Americans, etc). I enjoyed working and laughing with my co-workers in all of my jobs. The hardest part of the teaching jobs was a the long hours and constant commitment that I put in because I felt that, for the students, it was necessary. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, both colleagues and students. The management at Christopher Newport was wonderful and they became friends. At New Mexico State University--Grants, the management varied, some friends, at least colleagues, others friendly but not close.
Pros
the people; learning more science.
Cons
long work hours, lack of balance in my life.
a good place to work for a second job
maintenance/carryout (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 2, 2015
my day went by fast at Americas Thrift Store. The people there are friendly and I enjoyed working there.The hardest part of the job was cleaning toilets,that was nasty! The best part of the job was interacting with all the different people throughout the day.
I learned a great deal working at Americas Thrift Store, especially how to be patient with the customers.
Pros
i got a $20 gift certificate at walmart for christmas!
Cons
not enough hours.
Starter position in area
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSOctober 27, 2014
Company has since changed hands but still retains business and % of profits go to the Home of Grace rehab center.
Met many entry level people who will have a career within this environment.
not good
Student Transportation (Former Employee) –  Pine Brook, NJOctober 16, 2014
not a good place to be when looking to star a career. plus management wasn't professional
City manager – facility sales & operations
CITY MANAGER - FACILITY SALES & OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 7, 2014
Multifaceted leadership role, directing cross-functional team of 40 employees and instilling deep emphasis on sales and superior customer service. Set strategies for new sales and marketing campaigns to position company for profitable revenue growth, cultivating strong market share through exceptional customer service and astute approach to growing corporate business. Analyzed sales channels to develop new clientele and determine pricing of potential business. Oversaw operations, sales, customer service, human resources, fleet, and maintenance functions. Skillfully represented company through involvement in local organizations and networking. Showcase rich expertise in financial reports, account payables, account receivables, payroll, and fleet management. Commanded budget of $3M annually.
• Generated 27% increase in overall business in nine months; Optimized corporate accounts with AA, RCCL, AT&T, and DHL through impeccable customer service and strategic direction of contracts and rewards program; Adeptly supported and maintained government contract with MIA International Airport; Revitalized operational performance and aligned team-wide performance with company objectives and goals.
Pros
managed a great group of people
Cons
upper management divided in styles and objectives
Fulfillment in assisting clients who would otherwise be unable to purchase a home without this program.
MORTGAGE CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 6, 2014
Met with 4 to 5 clients daily. Hopefully, this included 3 intake clients and 2 follow up visits to glean further documentation. When there were no shows, it provided time to process the loans which was sorely needed as the clients were low to moderate income with usually lower than normal credit scores as NACA (National Assistance Corporaton of America) has no credit score requirement.
But a character-based credit profile must be developed calling for letters of explanation and rental verifications.

The hardest part of the job was keeping the clients attention as much of the documentation had to be updated when underwriting came back for more documentation.

Management was spread thin and it was necessary to push to get a file through and many times no onw was available to push.

The best part was when the buyers closed. Many were first-time homebuyers and people that would never have been able to purchase a home anywhere else. The hugs and hearty handshakes made it all worthwhile.
Pros
fulfillment
Cons
lots of paperwork