Americorps VISTA

Americorps VISTA Employer Reviews

GREAT place to work!
Volunteer/Tutor (Former Employee), Selma, ALApril 10, 2014
Performed various community service projects. Tutored elementary students in various subjects. Attended job training and computer literacy classes. Certified in CPR and CERT training.
Skills Building Experience
Media Production and Communications Assistant (Former Employee), Selinsgrove, PAApril 8, 2014
I worked in an office environment, basically as an administrative assistant. Utilized Microsoft Office, InDesign, phones, fax machines, printers, and other office related equipment. I also taught curricula to elementary aged children in schools and the elderly. Was lead on several projects and headed meetings occasionally. I improved upon my interpersonal – more... skills in this position. – less
Inspiring and edifying
Counselor (Former Employee), Dayton, OHApril 8, 2014
This company provided excellent training and encouraged interaction and cooperation among its employees. There were also opportunities to donate time and talent to the community in a relaxed and fun atmosphere.
Great Internship opportunity
Senior Corps (Former Employee), Flagstaff, AZApril 2, 2014
Pros: paid internship
This program allows students to complete an internship with an organization that makes a difference in the community. This internship also provides compensation including student loan assistance and supplemental paychecks.
Straight out of college
Student Teacher (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 31, 2014
Compensation was poor for the amount of work you were required to do. Program was not well setup and management did not foster and atmosphere where team could complete program goals.
Good experience in health care
I counsel patients (Former Employee), Waco, TXMarch 31, 2014
I learned quite a bit during this program year. It was good experience in the health care field.
Best Experience
Family Resource Center Aide (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAMarch 24, 2014
If you like helping others and want to gain a lot of experience than you should give this AmeriCorps a try.
Great experience
Event & Development Coordinator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 21, 2014
Pros: great networking
Cons: pay
Great experience, full of eye opening projects and substantial professional development. Management was great and very supportive. The hardest part of the job is living on the stipend you got for the duration of your term, about $800 a month. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the impact of your work in the community.
Working with Kids was Exciting
Service Learning Ambassador (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJMarch 20, 2014
After-school program, dealt a lot with kids and came up with lesson plans
Each day was something new
Good times
Family Advocate (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAMarch 17, 2014
AmeriCorps is an amazing organization. It was a great experience, was able to meet new and different people. I just hoped that they would have screened the different organizations we would have been helping with. The non-profit organization that we worked with was not organized at all; they were very unprofessional; and they did not appreciate our time – more... and dedication. – less
Excellent Experiance
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee), Bremerton, WAMarch 17, 2014
Pros: fun, matterful, serve the community
Cons: poor pay, long hours, loose job evey 11 months
An excellent experience to be apart of, you truly get to do something that matters and I loved it. It is run well and organized well. The only bad parts is that you loose your job every 11 months and the pay is very minimal.
Incredible program to be apart of!!
PROGRAM DEVELOPER (Current Employee), Vista, CAMarch 14, 2014
AmeriCorps is the type of job that you love despite any difficulties. I learned new information everyday, helped people by developing sustainable programs, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. After serving in AmeriCorps I believe that the new skills I've acquired will be amazing assets to my new career path.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee), Campobello, SCMarch 12, 2014
AmeriCorps for me started as an opportunity for the teenager in me, the “get out of school early card” however, it became so much more. Through AmeriCorps , I became a part of my community, I was given the chance to give back to the people of the community and much more. I had the opportunity to work with organizations such as March of Dimes, Walk for – more... Alzheimer’s, and the local Soup Kitchen. AmeriCorps was a great platform to network with others in the community and I was given the opportunity to meet new people and make great friends. – less
Outstanding learning environment to advance in any profession
Choice Program Fellow (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 12, 2014
Pros: every third friday off, paid leave, americorps scholarship award
Cons: high hours, low pay, clients having attitudes
During my time as a fellow with the Choice Program, I worked as a mentor to youth in the legal system, the staple of the job being to make home visits from 5:00pm-11:00pm.

Every day would start off with the team meeting to discuss contact with clients over night, followed by planning for the day in the form of deciphering which team member would see – more... which clients at school or home. After making rounds to the schools and homes, everyone was expected to come back to the office, document the day's events, and have another team meeting to discuss information that needed to be relayed to clients, and whoever's turn it was would see clients in the field after 5:00.

While I learned a multitude of things as a Choice fellow, the most important thing I learned was how to effectively work with a team. I was one of three people regularly going into the field to see clients, so it was critical that I communicated my encounters with clients, as well as pay attention to my teammates' encounters, to better service our caseload as a whole.

The staff hierarchy at the time I was working was set up so there were three Fellows on a team, one Service Coordinator directly supervising one team, then two Assistant Directors supervising 2-3 teams at a time, two Directors to oversee all operations, and lastly an Executive Director oversee and represent the entire organization. As a fellow, I had the most contact with my Service Coordinator, and the main thing she did for me was biweekly supervisions where we would talk about how I was doing workwise, as well as set goals for me to turn my weaknesses into strengths and improve through my fellowship.

On average, my coworkers were very sociable individuals that gained energy from being around people. They also had strong hearts for service, and really believed in the AmeriCorps creed, which was "Getting Things Done for America."

The hardest part of the job was working in the field on weekends, because I was required to plan activities with clients, get approval from my Service Coordinator to do the activity, then have my teammates communicate with clients to see who was interested. Furthermore, I would have to sometimes deal with clients not following through with their commitment to participate, and scramble to see if anyone else was interested. The good thing about that part of the job, however, was that it taught me to adapt, think on my feet, and maintain composure when plans fall through.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with clients and being able to see the difference I made in the moment. My favorite example would be one weekend I was working, a youth had a math packet he had to complete, so I made it an activity to help him. As I tutored him, it was clear that he did not understand the material, so I kept thinking of different ways to explain it, until he finally got it and I could tell he understood it. Even though I did not complete the packet with him, it was rewarding to know that I gave him the means to do the packet himself. – less
Great program
laborer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 8, 2014
The experience was amazing. I enjoyed the whole time I was there. You can learn a lot from giving back.
A place to work and give of oneself.
Program Coordinator, Mentor and Tutor (Former Employee), Detroit, MichiganMarch 5, 2014
Cons: the assignments are to short one year terms.
I loved working with AmeriCorps it was a marvelous experience.
fun workplace
Corp Member (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARMarch 5, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
I would work from 7:45 til 5:45 and I would tutor the childrent that was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great career starter job. Great way to serve others!
VISTA Volunteer (Former Employee), Racine, WIMarch 3, 2014
This organization will introduce you to community involvement, community service and the overall non-profit sector. It doesn't pay that well but their are other benefits such as student loan payoffs and many free training sessions.
you learn to have patience
Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 2, 2014
this was a great experience but you'd have to have a lot of patience. Not all AmeriCorps are like the place I worked at, so its different for all employees. The kids were wild, most of he staff were too laid back and I personally felt that one of them preferred one gender over the other when it came to the staff. The hardest part, managers, for sure. – more... The most enjoyable part, The kids that were not as wild were the most fun and respectful. – less
Productive place to work
Bridging Health & Human Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Rockaway, NJFebruary 19, 2014
Good management and team playing staff. The mission is cohesive and shown in the work that each member completes. The opportunity to work independently is greatly appreciated. I have learned how to connect Health Initiatives with Human Services. I have been given the opportunity to attend many conferences and trainings which have strengthen me as a – more... professional. – less

1 2 3 4 5