Americorps VISTA

Americorps VISTA Employer Reviews

Productive and safe environment for school aged children.
Program Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 20, 2014
Pros: being able to teach someone less fortunate than i was things that the are not being taught at home
Cons: being taking away from student who i gained trust with
A typical for me would be arriving to work a little before 745 having breakfast. promptly at 745am at entrance of school to greet parents and students during breakfast duty. Around the time of 830 dismiss children from breakfast to correct teacher. from 9-11 i am in a in class setting with teacher assisting her with children during instructional time. – more... lunch duty from 12-1. 1-3 back in class prepping for my after school class. 3-6 after school homework help enrichment activities snack and supper. during this time i keep children safe and in a learning environment. – less
Wonderful Experience
Literacy Tutor (Former Employee), Dayton, OHOctober 17, 2014
Pros: serving others in a meaningful way
Cons: it's temporary
AmeriCorp was awesome! Loved the opportunity to touch lives and help others. I was a literacy tutor and worked with ESOL and children who were challenged with their reading skills. I rated everything with one star because it was a temporary experience - the length of about 9 months, pay was called a 'stipend' and fell below minimum wage, my manager – more... did not maintain contact or support (if I had a question she would tell me to go online & look up the answer) but she did ask a lot of personal questions when we did meet - questions about my personal life that did not apply to the job. The major benefit was college money rewarded if & when one finished the term. I LOVE AmeriCorps! – less
roca
Youth Star Member (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 16, 2014
Pros: meet people
Cons: being shunned
Worked with people helping solve various issues they might have. Included managing the food pantry as well as bread pantry. Worked maintenance in building fixing any issue that might arise.
Excellent experience.
Disaster Survivor Assistant Team Specialist (Current Employee), Various LocationsOctober 14, 2014
Wonderful service year. Served as the volunteer coordinator for 5 different schools.
Fun and Productive workplace
Mentor (Former Employee), Fayetteville, WVOctober 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no breaks
Arrive at work 30 minutes early. Have a meeting with site supervisor and co-workers. Review activity plan sheets. The hardest part of the job was getting the kids ready for lunch time. The most enjoyable part of the day was recreation.
Worth while and rewarding experience
Client Advocate (Former Employee), Windward OahuOctober 5, 2014
Pros: seeing results
Cons: understanding the situation doesn't always necessaryly mean sucess.
Working with experienced advocates I found myself learning
invaluable skills of assimulating and associating with clients needs.
Knowing doesn't always mean being able to understand but triing to is an attempt to.
Could've been run better, but overall very fulfilling.
Mentor/Teacher Aide (Former Employee), Saipan, MPOctober 4, 2014
Took up pretty much all my after-school time in high school. Quite the challenge and very draining, but well worth the results for my kids.
AmeriCorps VISTA Summary
AmeriCorps VISTA (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAOctober 1, 2014
As an AmeriCorps VISTA, I recruited and managed volunteers, wrote grants, and planned trainings, events, and programs to build capacity for the Master Financial Education Volunteer program through Virginia Cooperative Extension. My tasks included writing press releases, creating advertising materials, contacting local organizations, searching for and – more... completing grants, and assisting with trainings and events. The hardest part of the job was having some slow work days. The most enjoyable part was getting to work with many incredible volunteers. – less
Genuine Connection With Youth
Assistant Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Miami, FLSeptember 30, 2014
You really build a relationship with the participants and the focus of the organization are always the participants. Extremely helpful staff, my supervisor was there when I needed help with the students or events.
Rewarding and challenging at the same time
ASSISTANT TEAM LEADER (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 29, 2014
I spend my day working with team members to eliminate lead poisoning in the homes of the poorest of American's. This job was difficult mainly because it was so dangerous. Exposure to lead was one thing, but gang violence was the other. I enjoyed learning about the have-nots of society and helping people who otherwise had no other recourse.
tutor
Tutor (Former Employee), homesteadSeptember 26, 2014
awesome first job, open doors to other opportunitiesawesome first job, open doors to other opportunitiesawesome first job, open doors to other opportunitiesawesome first job, open doors to other opportunitiesawesome first job, open doors to other opportunities
An excellent opportunity
Maine Conservation Corps Service Member (Former Employee), MaineSeptember 22, 2014
This job allowed me to camp and hike in some of the most beautiful parks in Maine. A typical day at work consisted of waking up early, getting hiking tools to our work site and working on trail projects until late afternoon. The crews are small, work, eat and camp together, and get an amazing amount done in a small amount of time. I will miss working – more... for Americorps and the Maine Conservation Corps. – less
A great volunteer experience in a different location
CLUB TIGER DIRECTOR ASST., DATA ANALYST, MENTOR (Former Employee), Waynesville, MOSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: helping build up programs and sustain them, work with children
Cons: yearly constract, volunteering
My time as an AmeriCorps VISTA member has been very rewarding. The placement is very accommodation and quality volunteers are needed. At the Waynesville location i got to work with student and staff to help educate and improve the education of the district in a 21st century environment.
Volunteer job
Employment Services Assistant/Volunteer (Former Employee), Louisville, KYSeptember 15, 2014
I'm so glad I decided to start my career with this volunteer position. So rewarding!
Fun and Exciting
Teacher's Assistant (TA) (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: always fun
Cons: part time
By far one the funnest jobs i have every worked with. Had a blast coaching flag football and helping the kids with projects and homework.
work was fun and learning new things
Service Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee), St.Thomas ,VISeptember 8, 2014
Pros: having activties for the tenants
Cons: lunch break and short break
Its very excellent working with new people and learning new things what will be helpful in the future.
best experience ever
Coach (Former Employee), los angelesSeptember 4, 2014
I recommend it to anybody. You have to do it at least once. People are very nice. you get to meet great people. the reward at the end is very helpful.
Great opportunity for community service
Volunteer (Former Employee), Dubuque, IASeptember 3, 2014
This is more of a volunteer job. However it is very rewarding because it allows one to contribute directly to the community in many different ways. The people genuinely care about their work and the people they help. It is one of the most rewarding things you can do as a volunteer.
Awsome work place
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: free lunch
I really enjoyed working with this company, they have the most down to earth people I have ever met. The kids were amazing I loved going to work everyday to see them!
Centered around helping and enriching the community
Americorps member (Current Employee), Lake Charles , LAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: enjoyable work environment
Cons: no liberty to effectively impact students
This company allows me to go out into the community and do what I am passionate about, and that is enriching and promoting health in the community. Currently I work in the school system as a aid to the teachers.

1 2 3 4 5