Americorps VISTA Employee Reviews

CORE Member
CORE Member (Former Employee) –  Selinsgrove, PAJanuary 25, 2016
Working for AmeriCorps I was able to have a lot of experience with helping the community. Not only my own community, but others as well. It taught me the benefits of helping the community and the importance of gathering together as one whole to help.
Pros
Trips, people we met, etc.
Cons
The pay was too low
Productive and rewarding experience
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 22, 2016
Being in a government funded organization helped us, as workers, view work from a larger standpoint. It was highly rewarding working with schools and communities in a rebuilding process. The smallest things like replanting trees to building benches to a fresh coat of paint helped brighten up the community as a whole.
Enhance your awareness of poverty within various communities.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member/Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2016
As an AmeriCorps VISTA Member/Leader, my essential functions was to address any issues or concerns that our VISTA Members were challenged with and present them with substantial responses that was given and approved by authorized authority.
Great experiences
Part-time Tutor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2016
A great place to work and gain experience in personal development and great with recognizing social issues and building towards eliminating stigmas facing our youth
Teacher
Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 12, 2016
I enjoyed working here. The staff was and is still great. I made a lot of friends. This job got me interested to become a Early Childhood Educator. Ever since then I have dedicated myself to teach child.
Great for intrest in being a teacher
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 11, 2016
Overall it is an okay program. This partnership is more for individuals who not only want to give back but also wants to become a future teacher.
Pros
living allowance, healthcare
Cons
two separate supervisors.
AmeriCorps NEEA
Interventionist/Mentor and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2016
A typical work day for me was that I began with my lesson plans, and activities. Grades ranging from kindergarten to six grade. Some of the students did have serious behavioral problems. We acted in a professional manner at all time dealing with these students. This position I served in was very rewarding at the end of the day. we did various activities with the students. I implemented a AmeriCorps Bees. These students participated in house spelling-bee. It went very well.
Fun and Rewarding environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bishopville, SCDecember 30, 2015
Loved working with the kids in Americorps got to tutor and mentor kids in after school programs. Also enjoyed the community service.
Homeless Coalition
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 29, 2015
The americorp is great if you are young and care about the world. Feel good work, change the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
National Service
Construction Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2015
AmeriCorps engages more than 75,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country.

Since the program’s founding in 1994, more than 900,000 AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.2 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing millions of volunteers for the organizations they serve.
Great opportunity for improving the community
CORE Member (Former Employee) –  Lewistown, PADecember 26, 2015
Working for Americorps was a great experience so I could help my local community with their youth and their local gathering spots for fairs. I really enjoyed learning what Americorps was all about and their values in improving the lives of those in the community in the present and future.
Pros
Working with the community
Cons
Low income
I enjoyed my work through AmeriCorps at the American Red Cross
Disaster Preparedness Educator and Outreach (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLDecember 24, 2015
No day was the same as the others. Sometimes I did presentations all day, to children and adults. I went to schools, Boys and Girls Clubs, summer camps and adult groups, be it early breakfast or lunch and presented on disaster preparedness,
I loved that I could make my own schedule for the most part, but I understood that I had to be at monthly leadership meetings, monthly organization meetings, such as SAFER in both Indian River and St Lucie counties.
I also did client casework, which was follow up with clients after fires and other disasters, and also worked events for recruitment purposes.
I really enjoyed the people I worked for and with and would have loved to stay with it, unfortunately, the AmeriCorps contract was not renewed.
Pros
I was able to make my own schedule
Cons
Nothing, I enjoyed what I did.
Resource Development Coordinator
Resource Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILDecember 21, 2015
Great opportunity in the Americorps program. This was a great experience. When I began working as a VISTA for Habitat for Humanity they did not have any events in place to raise awareness and funds. After 2 years of service I created events that generated additional revenue and extended the awareness in the community.
Pros
Created all agency events
Cons
work enviroment
Great job!
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 16, 2015
Nice job, that the promotes inner-city neighborhoods. The AmeriCorps VISTA project builds the capacity of the Division of Parks and Neighborhoods by developing a more comprehensive program framework to more effectively deliver evidence-based programs, neighborhood engagement outreach strategies, and recruit neighborhood volunteers to reduce obesity.
Most Rewarding Experience
Reading Mentor (Current Employee) –  Kimball, WVDecember 12, 2015
The most rewarding part of the experience is the improvement you see at the end of each summer in each student. The impact that you leave in each student's life teaching them that "THEY CAN!"
Pros
Making a differnce in childrens lifes
Cons
It is only a summer program
Volunteer In Service To America
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 10, 2015
If you want to make a difference and make things happen, you owe it to yourself to join AmeriCorps. At the end of my term I couldn't have felt any better. I really saw what I was doing as making a difference in my community.
Benefits
Cons
Stipend
Best job ever!
LITERACY TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXDecember 8, 2015
It was never a boring day tutoring kids. Seeing the progress the children were making after several weeks was something to smile about. You knew you were making a difference in their lives. You knew that it was important for them. Yes, it was challenging but difficult challenges are always the most rewarding.
Pros
weekends off, great hours for school
Very fun environment to work in
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Saint Marys, WVDecember 7, 2015
Productive workplace with great coworkers. I learned how to enter data into computers as well as different communication skills. I was always working with different people around the community which made work very fun and exciting. I was always involved in a project which required a lot of teamwork with my colleagues.
Pros
Meeting new people, working on different projects
It was an excellent experience.
Paralegal & Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYDecember 2, 2015
I very much enjoyed my time at Legal Aid. AmeriCorps was a fantastic experience and stepping stone.

Unfortunately, the funding was abruptly cut for my position otherwise I would still be there to this day.
Terrible
Data Manager (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJNovember 24, 2015
The company I was placed with was wasteful of resources and mis-managed. Transferring positions was difficult and the job search website was not kept up to date.

4.4