Americorps VISTA

Americorps VISTA Employer Reviews

Kept us busy and on our feet.
TEACHER ASSISTANT/OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Rough Rock, AZFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: working with kids, meeting new people, learning how to use office equipments from fax machines and copy machines.
Cons: no health coverage
Working for AmeriCorps was an amazing experience. Working with kids was a plus. Learning how teachers do their lesson plans, assisting teacher with kids school work. Learn how to be independent, open minded, and enjoy what you do. Helping people within the community was amazing and meeting the elderly. It also prepared me for college by all the writing we had to do about our day. Managed our own time-sheets. Learning how to manage our time and keep everything on a professional level. Worked with great people some were older than me, other were around my age. Hardest part about the job was keeping up with the teacher, because of all the grading, and tests that needed to be done to measure each student level of performance to make sure they were on track. Everything about this job I loved, it was surely one of the best experience I've had. When not working with teachers I help assist in the front office with phone calls, making copies for meetings, have information ready for people who needed them.
Great experience addressing the needs of the community
HandsOn Greater Phoenix - AmeriCorps VISTA Leader (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 23, 2015
Working at a NPO Charter school system in the city with the highest poverty rate in the nation was a very big learning experience. Was able to grow as an individual and employee.
Outstanding (nationally Award-winning), federally funded program in conjunction with UCLA for our country's literacy concerns.
Project Coordinator/Corps Member (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: rewarding, valuable, purposeful work, significant experience, enjoyable
Cons: limited to 20 hrs./week
A typical day at work was rewarding with valuable purpose -- assisting under-served classrooms in the Jumpstart Division.

The daily creation and management of enjoyable (and simultaneously academically productive) projects for preschoolers' was both the most difficult and enjoyable part of this job.

The children were representative of the under-served school population -- yet they were able to attain above-average reading, social and other skills was challenging in that our society has become increasing globalized.

The six-month intensive (contract) included federally mandated procedures and training was challenging but increased my knowledge of interacting with a multi-racial community, both children, school administration, staff and families.

Management and co-workers were superb as we collaborated and possessed the same mindsets in pursuing an invaluable mission for the community.
Fun workplace when working with the students
Teacher's aide (Former Employee), Seattle, WAFebruary 16, 2015
Loved working with the students when teaching about many subjects that they were interested in. Helped me figure out that teaching was what I wanted to do.
One year long service project
Project Development (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 9, 2015
One year long service project to promote A Brush with Kindness as a repair program and an extension of services provided by Habitat for Humanity. The project is also to promote the 1st annual A Brush with Kindess Week 2015. During this week we will complete 250 projects nationwide. This week is funded by our Sponsor, Valspar.
Collegecorps
College Corps Volunteer (Current Employee), Oxford, MSFebruary 2, 2015
-300+ service hours a year dedicated
-Paired with local non-proft, Lovepacks
-Placed to increase operational budget, awareness, create a social media/marketing campaign, and earn money through grant writing
Giving victims of disasters another chance to start over
Corps Member (Former Employee), Vicksburg, MSJanuary 27, 2015
We served on teams of 8-10 individuals, with a team leader. We traveled all around the United States wherever we were needed, to complete different projects with FEMA (disaster emergency agency). I learned about myself and how I work with other individuals and what I need to work on as a member part of a team. I loved to meet people and laugh with my teammates. To truly find myself in a meaningful experience
vista
VISTA (Current Employee), north little rock arkansasJanuary 27, 2015
Great program to be a part of and my coworkers are great fun and loving people to know. there are a lot of benefits to being a VISTA
Great time!
Construction Volunteer Leader (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2015
A one year americorps term is a great way to spend a year to recharge and give back to the community. Had the opportunity to work outside everyday with tons of awesome people.

The Americorps cohort at the affiliate consisted of 15 people from all walks of life. The majority of the group was new this year, there were only a few returning Americorps.

The only negative thing to say about the organization is there is little building happening in seattle due to high real-estate costs.
Fun
VISTA Volunteer (Former Employee), Reno, NVJanuary 24, 2015
I worked for the country school district assassinate with individual teaching assignments for students. I worked one on one with special needs children's that required the most attention. I was affective with as siting in the student achieving academic standards
No day is the same...
Family Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 15, 2015
-40+ hours a week
-Great training sessions
-Understanding management

Provides an excellent opportunity for growth!
Great enviornment and awesome rewards.
Safety Knight (Current Employee), Harlem, NYJanuary 15, 2015
I enjoy working with AMERICORPS very much. I have a awesome day more than often and the kids are the reward.
Productive and good place to work for
Assist in client's intakes (Current Employee), Marion, ILJanuary 14, 2015
I assist clients in adapting back into society to become successful members of the community. I assist them in obtaining identification, clothing, transportation and other resources they are in need of. I enjoy my co workers we all work together as we are a part of a family instead of a team. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help every client with needs they have that we dont have funding for or being able to give them all the answers in life. The most enjoyable part is being able to help them with the simpliest things and it mean the world to them or showing them that at least one person cares about them and arent judging them for their past.
An educational experience
Volunteer Tutor / Initiator of community projects (Former Employee), Monticello, ARJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day included getting lesson plan to be informed of what child I am to work with that day and time as well as what subject I will be assisting him/her with.

Management were very informative, caring and supportive.

Co-workers were helpful.

The hardest part of the job was seeing students that need my help and not having the opportunity and time to do so.

The most enjoyable part was seeing students excel
Outreach opportunities. Amazing way to build resume
Volunteer In Service To America (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 13, 2015
• Directed focus of programming to assist low income and disadvantaged students to STEM related disciplines.
• Assisted in the development of emerging not for profit robotics programs utilizing social media marketing, communal and university partnerships.
• Optimized techniques that increased FIRST outreach opportunites in the Greater Boston Area.
• 600+ Service Hours
Working with AmeriCorp
Program Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: working as a volunteer & receiving an e-grant
Cons: part time
A typical day at work, was working with youth & 2nd Chance adults. I was the Asst. for a skill trade of construction. We build stuff, like dog houses, mirror wood frames etc.. For practice of hand tools and then test them for the certification. Love to work with people and enjoy hand on.
Great way to gain professional experience
Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2015
This job is all about capacity building and sustainability for nonprofit growth. You will learn how to develop professional relationship and network with other community organizations to develop partnerships and improve outreach
we had fun while work
Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: fun while playing in the rec center
Cons: short lunches
 Provided supervision and counseling to at-risk youth within community recreation centers throughout Rochester.
 Monitored and facilitated recreational activities.
 Ensured safe and secure environment for program participants.
 Administered disciplinary actions, in accordance with program guidelines.
 Accompanied children to area locations for field trips including Seabreeze and Nature Preserves.
Productive and rewarding
family mentor/tutor (Former Employee), Toledo, OHJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: experience
Cons: pay
AmeriCorps is a non-profit organization that links you with companies to work for this is the same company that linked me with the Friendly Center, where i was a family mentor and a tutor.
AmeriCorps VISTA
Program and Resource Coordinator (Current Employee), Hayward, CADecember 23, 2014
Pros: education award, opportunity to network
Cons: stipend
This is a year long program dedicated to assisting underserved communities. AmeriCorps VISTA offer the opportunity to serve with a variety of programs across the country. Each VISTA receives a bi-weekly stipend. The amount is dependent upon the location in which you serve. AmeriCorps also offers an education awards that could be used towards future or past educational expenses .

1 2 3 4 5