Americorps VISTA

Americorps VISTA United States Employee Reviews

Great place to work and also a great learning environment
PUMP-up Coordinator (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 30, 2015
Worked with various co-workers to create a sustainable mentoring/tutoring program for underrepresented youth in the local elementary schools.
Volunteer
VISTA- Renter Referral Specialist (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIApril 28, 2015
VISTA is required to work 365 days of the year if needed.
A volunteer based position
Hardest part was living on a stipend, trying to make ends meet
Most enjoyable was getting to make a difference in the community
good place to work
United Way Success By Six Youth Educator (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 26, 2015
• Provided full time services to low-income children related to school readiness.
• Applied the High Scope Math Curriculum into preschool classroom.
• Completed a two-week pre-service training on standards and guidelines for childcare centers.
• Certification course in CPR, pediatric first aid, rescue breathing & choking.
Wonderful Experience with Co-workers and children
Classroom Educator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 24, 2015
Pros: Scholarship Opportunity
Cons: Daily travel was extensive
Morning and afternoons I participated in teaching children math and sciences and it was wonderful to watch the youth grow on a daily basis. My co-workers were amazing and intelligent individuals that made the whole experience even more worth while. The hardest part of the job was learning to adapt to every childs need but that also became the most enjoyable part because the challenge was fun as well as very rewarding.
Giving back to the community.
Manger (Former Employee), Trenton, NJApril 15, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people
Cons: Could not stay
I would help people chose health foods for them and their family. Give to someone in need. Help families that needed the help.
Working as an AmeriCorps Volunteer
VetCorps Coordinator (Former Employee), Tucson, AZApril 13, 2015
I found serving in AmeriCorps a rewarding and challenging experience. I served two terms in AmeriCorps, one with Habitat for Humanity as an Administrative Assistant and Thriftstore Developer. The other term was brief and very far away from my home, but it was truly a valuable learning experience.
Feel good work, not much compensation
Corps Member (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 11, 2015
Pros: Great satisfaction from what you do
Cons: Low pay
Great co-workers, enjoyed the work most of the time, wasn't paid much but it didn't matter too much because the job was enjoyable.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Granite City, ILApril 9, 2015
Pros: flexibilty
Cons: none
I was a tutor through America Reads for AmeriCorps. It was very exciting. It was very rewarding and time worthy. The hardest part of the job was getting used to the changes of the job.
rewarding
URI Jumpstart corps member (Current Employee), Kingston, RIApril 7, 2015
very rewarding and feel like I am making a difference. Very time consuming and requires flexibility and dedication. compensation is minimum wage but gives you good experience
Great experience!
Program Assistant/Parent Engagement Specialist (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 6, 2015
One of the best work experiences that I have had. The organization was great and the people that we serve are the greatest!
Wonderful work environment, and coworkers were respectful of others.
Income Support Specialist/Customer Service (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 4, 2015
Pros: We had training sections in a different state, Educational Aware and free lunches.
Cons: The con raveling all over Chicago area.
My day would start with interviewing clients, helping them fill out forms for Public Benefits. I answered questions, made copies of documents, advocate, made appointments for clients.
I learned to speak in public, and I learned about the NPO's in Chicago.
The management went out of their way to train and support us in every way possible
My co-workers were respectful, kind and willing to work hard and help each other.
The hardest part of the job was that I couldn't help all the clients that need help.
The most enjoyable part was volunteering with other people who wanted to help make life easier for others.
GREAT organization, but for FWS position
Team Leader (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Great site manager, fun/meaningful work, awesome support/training for employees
Had an amazing time at Americorps-Jumpstart as both corps member and team leader. Program is structured very well with corps members, team leaders, and site managers. Site manager worked hard to make sure that everyone had the support they needed. Training sessions were long, but definitely helpful and necessary.
Not your usual service position
ReadyWisconsin Member, Disaster Preparedness (Current Employee), WIMarch 26, 2015
The pay is so little you live below the poverty line. But the work you do is usually fulfilling enough to make it worth it. I took the position as a stepping stone to move on to something more permanent and long term.
Steady Income
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), Woodside, NYMarch 26, 2015
Board of Elections is a steady place to work however it is a small agency with no real upward mobility. One of the lower level government agencies.
Americorps
Mentor/Tutor (Former Employee), Mobile, ALMarch 19, 2015
Americorps is a good training. Americorps allows you to become a voluntary in different schools. The program is design to help others by cleaning trash from the side of the highway or just mentor to young children.
I was a VISTA
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 13, 2015
I loved my VISTA year of service, I learned so much and discovered a lot about myself and where I wanted to be in my career. My service which was at another organization was pleasant and they worked with my complicated schedule. The AmeriCorps VISTA "stipend" is barely supposed to keep your head above the water. Overall I loved it because I took so much from it.
A wonderful way to give back to the communities of Atlanta.
Jumpstart Corps Member (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 6, 2015
With Americoprs Jumspstart I would spend my morning helping preschool students with reading and literacy. I was the team leader of a group of 4, we would meet outside of the preschool and go over session plans.
A great experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Jackson, MSMarch 4, 2015
Working with Americorps was a great experience. I enjoyed the opportunities they gave us to volunteer, especially outside of our primary work place. They provided a lot of different training that helped advance our skills and do a better job in the workplace.
working one-on-one with a struggling child
Corp Member (Former Employee), Bridgewater, MAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: easy
I enjoyed working one-on-one with a preschool student getting ready for kindergarten. I enjoyed the arts and crafts aspect as well as the team work building that occurred over time. Was a work study job from school.
It's great but I don't get paid very well.
Tourism and Events Coordinator (Current Employee), Schoharie, NYMarch 2, 2015
It's great but I don't want to continue living getting paid 5 dollars an hour to do 2 full time positions in a state I don't like.

1 2 3 4 5