Americorps VISTA Employee Reviews

pretty
coordinator for an initiative called (Current Employee), Newark, NJAugust 24, 2015
working at americorps was awesome hard work but you really get to help change peoples lives. Staff and company culture are great
ESOL
ESOL Teacher/Citizenship (Former Employee), Mattapan, MAAugust 24, 2015
Working for a non-profit organization, teaching English as a second language to adults, and helping with resources housing, employment, continuing education.

Creating programs for the community and events to spread the word of different activities we offer. Hardest part of the job was having all theses things going on and not having enough hands to do them all.
Fulfilling work with a lot of variety.
Intern Coordinator (Former Employee), Tucson, AZAugust 20, 2015
Each AmeriCorps posting is different. I was posted with the Garden Kitchen in South Tucson. My job was to manage volunteers and assist in program and event coordination. The staff is super nice and helpful. We doo good work in the community; teaching nutrition education and lifestyle balance.
Community focused organization with fully committed employees
Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordinator (Current Employee), Bremerton, WAAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Educational scholarship among completion, weekends/federal holidays off
Cons: Stipend, occasional Saturday work
I am the Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordinator at the American Red Cross. I am responsible for facilitating events related to the Home Fire Preparedness Campaign. I also am involved in recruiting and developing volunteers, as well as leading volunteers in installation events. I deliver safety presentations to various local communities to ensure that in case of a disaster, everyone knows what to do and where to go to get emergency care. Conducting community outreach is a major role for an AmeriCorps volunteer.
Americorps VISTA
Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Menlo Park, CAAugust 17, 2015
Working with Americorps VISTA has been a positive experience. Overall the work culture was good, but management was poor.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Reading Coach (Former Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2015
Pros: flexibility, lots of community service opportunities, national service education award given upon completion of terms
Cons: low pay (stipend)
I absolutely loved this job! Unfortunately, it was a 2-year termed position. I truly was blessed to give back. Not only did I tutor in the school for 20+ hours, I volunteered at bereavement camp multiple times, volunteered at nursing homes, partook in Adopt-a-Street Clean-Ups, served as overnight tour guides at the Richmond Science Museum, etc. The staff was perfect.
Great experience
Agency Services/ SNAP Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee), Topeka, KSAugust 14, 2015
Pros: New experience
Cons: Monthly pay
Americorps was a great experience for me. I couldn't find a job when I learned about Americorps. I would recommend it to anyone interested in a new experience.
Enjoyed working for this Company
Program Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee), Cleveland, MSAugust 13, 2015
Off every weekend. Scholarship at the end of service. Great Benefits! i really enjoyed working for this company. My experience was great! your experience depends on the type of person they have you working under.
Awesome Experience!
Financial Coaching Coordinator (Former Employee), San Jose, CAAugust 10, 2015
Able to learn life long skills such as client record keeping, updating databases and meeting with individuals in the community. Great experience to lead you on a path if you are unsure of where and what you want to do.
Extremely productive program with poor management
Tutor (Former Employee), Eldon, MOAugust 9, 2015
AmeriCorps utilized my time to the best of their abilities and I really enjoyed working on my team. However, the job was at times as emotionally taxing as it was rewarding and the lack of support from management made this difficult to deal with.
Easy and short hours
tutor (Former Employee), miami flAugust 6, 2015
Pros: great experience, good scholarship, and great people
Cons: low wage, and undisplined kids
day can either be short or long but fun netherless. I learn how to deal with children. Management was good in our place but other places not so much. Co-worker were fun to be with. Hardest part was dealing with children who didn't listen and the ones who had mental disabilities. The best part is actually dealing with kids and how to impact them in their lives.
Good experience in a leadership role
Trail Crew Leader (Current Employee), IowaAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Free food and a place to stay in a tent. Camping for a few months out of the year.
Cons: Always away from home
I supervised a crew of 11 members daily while we helped build and maintenance hiking trails throughout the state of Iowa. It was a good experience for me as I was in a leadership role and had a lot of duties and responsibilities that I had to balance while still being in the field and being productive.
Environment that allow me to be myself.
Supervisor (Current Employee), Jackson, MSAugust 4, 2015
A workplace that allowed me to work independently at my own pace. An environment that gave self confidence to be myself and to know that there is life after a disability
Stepping Stone for Life Changes
Elementary and Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Jayess, MSAugust 4, 2015
Pros: In finishing the program, the possibilities are endless
Cons: very low monthly income with lots of travel and responsibility
I took this avenue to further my education and experience to grow towards my future goal as a school teacher. Not much pay and no benefits, but if you make through the program, the financial reward will help get you through school.
Informational
Peer Educator/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Training's, Information, Curriculums
Such a amazing Cooperation, I had the best experience. so much information given top help me become more involved within communities as well as teaching.
Great People to work for
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Springfield, MAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great Experience, Volunteerism, And loved working with the youth
Cons: No Cons
This is a great company that gives an opportunity to low income families to get a career experience. Love the people that I worked with and I will recommend anyone to apply and become an AmeriCorps VISTA Member.
A calm easy day
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee), Ocala, FLJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Two breaks and an hour lunch.
Cons: Doing the paperwork.
A day at work with AmeriCorps is calm and easy. I learned hopw to deal with people and take orders as well as work with others. Management is very helpful when they have the time. Co-workers are the same. The hardest part of the job is catching up on paperwork. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the youth succeed.
Every day offered new challenges and experiences with students.
Direct Site Coordinator, Drop-Out Prevention (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 18, 2015
Pros: lots of challenges, being able to feel like you made a difference
Cons: getting sworn at by adolescents
The hardest part of the job was wearing multiple hats under pressure and time management. There is a finite about of time during a school day and I was in classrooms helping the teachers maintain order to maximize educational hours, assisting students with classwork as well as homework, tutoring students with difficult concepts and being a mentor during non-essential school time. Not only did I have to be there for my students, being supportive to staff as necessary, but I also had connect the school to the surrounding community. This was done through emails, phone calls and meetings. Some of the positive outcomes to this community outreach was a motivational speaker spoke to a group of students who were categorized as having disciplinary issues and hosting the school's first Bike to School Day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students everyday, touching lives and helping others. In turn, my students touched me deeply in an experience I will never forget.
Reading Tutor for AmeriCorp
Reading Tutor (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Working with kids, improving the community
Cons: AmeriCorps service term, so only 10 month position
My time spent as a reading tutor, helped me realize that my chosen path for my degree was the correct one. Everyday I worked with children from Kindergarten to Fifth grade to help improve their reading skills. I learned that just as the education college courses say, you have to find what works best for each child and use that to get them to advance. My direct supervisor became my mentor, and helped me with how to determine which method a child would thrive with. My partner at the school and I worked to create events to promote reading and created games to go with the reading theme. The hardest and the most enjoyable part of this position, was getting attached to the students. You get excited about the progression they are making and then at the end of the year, saying goodbye for the summer.
Nice place to work
program development (Former Employee), Ashland, OHJuly 17, 2015
Enjoyed working with my coworkers, answered incoming telephone calls, and researched and wrote grants for the nonprofit agency I worked for.