Americorps VISTA

Americorps VISTA Employer Reviews

Giving victims of disasters another chance to start over
Corps Member (Former Employee), Vicksburg, MSJanuary 27, 2015
We served on teams of 8-10 individuals, with a team leader. We traveled all around the United States wherever we were needed, to complete different projects with FEMA (disaster emergency agency). I learned about myself and how I work with other individuals and what I need to work on as a member part of a team. I loved to meet people and laugh with my teammates. To truly find myself in a meaningful experience
vista
VISTA (Current Employee), north little rock arkansasJanuary 27, 2015
Great program to be a part of and my coworkers are great fun and loving people to know. there are a lot of benefits to being a VISTA
Great time!
Construction Volunteer Leader (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2015
A one year americorps term is a great way to spend a year to recharge and give back to the community. Had the opportunity to work outside everyday with tons of awesome people.

The Americorps cohort at the affiliate consisted of 15 people from all walks of life. The majority of the group was new this year, there were only a few returning Americorps.

The only negative thing to say about the organization is there is little building happening in seattle due to high real-estate costs.
Fun
VISTA Volunteer (Former Employee), Reno, NVJanuary 24, 2015
I worked for the country school district assassinate with individual teaching assignments for students. I worked one on one with special needs children's that required the most attention. I was affective with as siting in the student achieving academic standards
No day is the same...
Family Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 15, 2015
-40+ hours a week
-Great training sessions
-Understanding management

Provides an excellent opportunity for growth!
Great enviornment and awesome rewards.
Safety Knight (Current Employee), Harlem, NYJanuary 15, 2015
I enjoy working with AMERICORPS very much. I have a awesome day more than often and the kids are the reward.
Productive and good place to work for
Assist in client's intakes (Current Employee), Marion, ILJanuary 14, 2015
I assist clients in adapting back into society to become successful members of the community. I assist them in obtaining identification, clothing, transportation and other resources they are in need of. I enjoy my co workers we all work together as we are a part of a family instead of a team. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help every client with needs they have that we dont have funding for or being able to give them all the answers in life. The most enjoyable part is being able to help them with the simpliest things and it mean the world to them or showing them that at least one person cares about them and arent judging them for their past.
An educational experience
Volunteer Tutor / Initiator of community projects (Former Employee), Monticello, ARJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day included getting lesson plan to be informed of what child I am to work with that day and time as well as what subject I will be assisting him/her with.

Management were very informative, caring and supportive.

Co-workers were helpful.

The hardest part of the job was seeing students that need my help and not having the opportunity and time to do so.

The most enjoyable part was seeing students excel
Outreach opportunities. Amazing way to build resume
Volunteer In Service To America (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 13, 2015
• Directed focus of programming to assist low income and disadvantaged students to STEM related disciplines.
• Assisted in the development of emerging not for profit robotics programs utilizing social media marketing, communal and university partnerships.
• Optimized techniques that increased FIRST outreach opportunites in the Greater Boston Area.
• 600+ Service Hours
Working with AmeriCorp
Program Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: working as a volunteer & receiving an e-grant
Cons: part time
A typical day at work, was working with youth & 2nd Chance adults. I was the Asst. for a skill trade of construction. We build stuff, like dog houses, mirror wood frames etc.. For practice of hand tools and then test them for the certification. Love to work with people and enjoy hand on.
Great way to gain professional experience
Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2015
This job is all about capacity building and sustainability for nonprofit growth. You will learn how to develop professional relationship and network with other community organizations to develop partnerships and improve outreach
we had fun while work
Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: fun while playing in the rec center
Cons: short lunches
 Provided supervision and counseling to at-risk youth within community recreation centers throughout Rochester.
 Monitored and facilitated recreational activities.
 Ensured safe and secure environment for program participants.
 Administered disciplinary actions, in accordance with program guidelines.
 Accompanied children to area locations for field trips including Seabreeze and Nature Preserves.
Productive and rewarding
family mentor/tutor (Former Employee), Toledo, OHJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: experience
Cons: pay
AmeriCorps is a non-profit organization that links you with companies to work for this is the same company that linked me with the Friendly Center, where i was a family mentor and a tutor.
AmeriCorps VISTA
Program and Resource Coordinator (Current Employee), Hayward, CADecember 23, 2014
Pros: education award, opportunity to network
Cons: stipend
This is a year long program dedicated to assisting underserved communities. AmeriCorps VISTA offer the opportunity to serve with a variety of programs across the country. Each VISTA receives a bi-weekly stipend. The amount is dependent upon the location in which you serve. AmeriCorps also offers an education awards that could be used towards future or past educational expenses .
Amazing Life Experience
21st Century Scholar Specialist (Current Employee), Terre Haute, INDecember 22, 2014
Pros: healthcare, community outreach, experience
Cons: long meetings in committees
This whole AmeriCorps/ScholarCorps service has greatly enhanced the way I value commitment and has not only revealed strengths, but recreated strengths, goals, and mindsets that I once had. I love being a member of AmeriCorps and I feel like I'm giving back to my neighborhood, country, and generation every time I help a 21st Century Scholar. A typical day at work for me consist of meeting with 21st Century Scholars, planning events, emailing, phone calls, and, tracking and reporting scholar engagement. I've learned a great deal about financial aid, scholarships, state requirements, college admissions, and student success barriers. Management and Co-workers are wonderful. They're so helpful and amazing at their crafts that the comradery is inevitable. The hardest part of my job is when I have to tell a 21st Scholar that they have lost their scholarship. The most enjoyable part of the job is engaging with scholars and learning from them.
College and Career Coach
Case Manager/College and Career Coach/Recruiter (Former Employee), Hickman, KYDecember 18, 2014
Pros: working with the kids at the school, touring different colleges.
Cons: contract job
I worked at an ATC center and I basically helped the kids in High School apply for college, submit their FAFSA and get prepared for the ACT, PLAN AND EXPLORE test. I had fantastic co-workers that really helped me whenever I needed a hand. I really enjoyed working with the kids and being someone they could talk to whenever they needed me
Community Service Oriented
VOLUNTEER ADULT EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 12, 2014
AmeriCorps is dedicated in providing volunteer service to adults of any age who want to give back and do good in the neighborhood.
Project Coordinator at Sewa International
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 9, 2014
Completed a ton of work for very little money. Definitely good experience for recent graduates. Learned a lot and I got to help a lot of people.
An Opportunity to Grow and Learn
Volunteer & Resource Development Coordinator (Former Employee), Louisville, KYDecember 4, 2014
My time with AmeriCorps was very formative and educational. I learned how to work independently with little supervision, yet still deliver great results. Expanded my knowledge of marketing, web design, and leadership.
great team, and fun
Senior Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 2, 2014
Pros: helping in the community
Cons: no job security
A great way to start a career or find out where you want to be in life.

1 2 3 4 5