Americorps VISTA

Americorps VISTA Employee Reviews

nothing to say
Educator Advocate- Intern (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 1, 2015
This was an internship that I did in undergrad. the most positive aspect of this job was that it gave me experience working with kids in the school system.
Great community outreach
Goodwill SR (Former Employee), Columbus, GAJune 30, 2015
• Answer, greet and dispatch calls to appropriate personnel.
• Assist clients with faxing, scanning and sending emails or documents.
• Maintain records and compose monthly reports for grant auditing.
• Schedule appointments and provide follow-up call backs.
• Implement and conduct training on careers and educational requirements.
• Provide one-on-one resume assistance to civilian and transitioning military personnel.
• Instruct computer, job searching, interviewing, dress to success and financial classes.
• Provide job seekers with employment resources at career and resource fairs within the community.
• Develop, coordinate and conduct a Transitional Jobs Club for offender re-entry program.
Loved working in the Hispanic community
liaison to Hispanic community (Former Employee), OKC,OKJune 26, 2015
Pros: Workking in a great developing community (OKC)
Cons: None
This is a position I took as I was attending Graduate School at Oklahoma City University. I really enjoyed the experience, even though we were paid $600/month, we were volunteers more than anything, but were all dedicated to community development and assisting others!
Rewarding Experience
Mentor/Tutor (Current Employee), Mayfield, KYJune 25, 2015
You are able to help students day to day improve on their math and reading scores as well as be a mentor to them when it is needed.
Fighting Poverty at its best
Workforce Development and Training Coordinator (Current Employee), Fresno, CAJune 21, 2015
Pros: Fighting poverty
Cons: low pay
AmeriCoprs Vista is a great corporation to work for straight out of college. In my year of service I've gained skills that I can take to other employers .
Productive and fun work place.
Corps Member (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 21, 2015
Great place to work at. I learned at lot from my co workers and from my partner teacher. It was a very good experience. I loved everything about working with my kids.
Experimental
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee), Picayune, MSJune 17, 2015
With my experience with Americorps, it was great. I got to interact with a lot of great people. Americorps not only was beneficial to myself but the schools as well. This helped me to learn more about programming and the different aspects of technology as well as introducing new teaching concepts to educators, Less paper more technology.
Great place to begin Public Health career
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 16, 2015
There is no such thing as a "typical day" at work, its so many opportunities to provide education and outreach. No one day is the same.
Productive learning experience
Group Leader/Office Assistant Intern (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2015
Pros: Free trips with the kids
Cons: healthcare
We would attend workshops that will help train us in schools, and work ethics/management. A typical day at work was being responsible for activities with the students and to give back to the community. I think the hardest part of the job was time consuming when you have to go to school full time and coming to work part time because you needed a certain amount of hours to complete. My most enjoyable part of the job was working with the kids. I learned how to create more fun productive activities that involves the kids and the community.
fun, energetic ,active, athletic, safe , work, place.
Coach (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 8, 2015
Pros: scholorships and free nike gear
A typical day at work would be to assist in implementing individualized educational programs for students also supervise and engage children in learning,playing,and social development.Provide a safe happy and fun recess .
Wonderful experience, but not sustainable for more than a year
Volunteer Management and Training Coordinator (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 8, 2015
Pros: Service to community, building community partnerships, networking
Cons: Barely livable allowance provided, no rental stipend provided, expected to rely on Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program
As an Americorps VISTA, I have had the privilege of working on the ServiceWorks team at CitySquare. As the Volunteer and Training Coordinator, I am responsible for training all volunteers who enter the program. I also act as the volunteer facilitator, which allows me to oversee all data entry, handle all issues and questions volunteers may have, and train the rest of the team on volunteer management.

As a ServiceWorks lead, I have also had the opportunity to implement a program from the grassroots level. Since this is the program's pilot year, we have been amending and creating a sustainable model that can be carried on after we are gone.
Excellent experience for anyone passionate about social justice and alieviating poverty.
Community Resource Development VISTA (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 6, 2015
Pros: I love what I do!
Cons: It's a year-long service.
A typically work week runs 65 hours from Monday-Saturday. During my time in the office I am developing the organizational systems that help support the work of refugee and immigrant organizations I am working with.
Great opportunity for professional development
RECRUITMENT & OUTREACH COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 3, 2015
This position required a minimum of a one-year commitment. I learned many new skills and had the opportunity to network with leaders within the Dallas community.
non paid intership
Intern-Assistant to the AmeriCorps Program (Former Employee), Paterson, NJJune 1, 2015
Pros: spending time with students/giving back to the community
Cons: none
This job was interesting because it was non-paid, but I did like it because I was giving back to the Paterson community in which we did a lot of activities like cleaning the Falls (in Paterson), and helping kids with their homework, etc. It is a non-profit organization and I really enjoy helping others.
Productive and family-oriented workplace:Holocaust Survivor Services
Program Sustainability (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLMay 30, 2015
I worked on the development of a Dental Assistance program for Survivors of the Holocaust. DASH is one of the biggest programs that I was asked to initially focus on. This program was launched this year, Jewish Family Services partnered with dentists in our community who were willing to provide pro-bono services to Holocaust survivor clients. Jewish Family Services has recruited 17 dentists and has saved over $50,000 in pro-bono services.
However, as I settled into this agency I further became involved in socialization programs for Holocaust survivors. Socialization is very important to survivors; many of them constantly mention looking forward to our next socialization event, while leaving from one. It made us realize how important it is for their quality of life to be given opportunities to socialize with one another as well as with other members of our community. As a result, the agency made it a priority to provide numerous socialization events alongside The Jewish Federation and Donna Klein Jewish Academy. We developed programs such as From March to Miriam, connecting Holocaust survivor clients to High School students for one year commitments, with the purpose of strengthening the bond between different generations, while promoting culture and education. We also hosted Nosh & Nachas, a quarterly, mini Café Europa for Holocaust survivor clients of the agency to eat and schmooze. In addition to Nosh & Nachas, we managed numerous other events with local temples and schools in order to promote education, socialization, and Mitzvah between holocaust survivors and our community.
Excellent Corporation
Member (Current Employee), Johnstown, PaMay 28, 2015
Pros: Felxiblity
Cons: Healthcare and Pay
I am a member of AmeriCorps at a school district. The setting is wonderful and it really is a great opportunity to have a hand in helping children.
Opportunity for advancement in career via leadership training
Corps Member (Program Coordinator/Intern) (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 27, 2015
Pros: Assigned mentor, social worker, opportunity to facilitate training(s) or presentations.
Cons: Stipend Pay
This is a great program for young adults who desire a more enhanced career. It provides you with more exposure within a work environment and the community through national service.
AmeriCorps VISTA
Program Evaluation Specialist (Current Employee), Springfield, MAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Networking, the environment
Cons: The pay
AmeriCorps VISTA program is an excellent option for anyone who wants to serve a community in various capacities. You will leave feeling amazing, knowing that you make a difference in at least one person's life.

Not only do you give back to the community, but you learn so much about yourself and your skill set will blossom. You will encounter tasks that require skills that you did not even know you had. It will stretch you and you be very thankful in the end.

If you can afford to live rather cheaply for one year, I highly recommend serving one year in the AmeriCorps VISTA program.
Summer Associate-councelor
Job Placement Coordinator (Former Employee), OrlandoMay 26, 2015
Pros: Experience + educational or cash award (you choose)
Cons: stipened, need to manage your time
Great to work with. The site supervisor didn't give us much training, had to follow people to learn about the culture at first. A little miss communication between my site supervisor and my official supervisor.

Great thing: call and ask questions, they are always there for you.
very productive place to work
Asset Manager (Former Employee), Fairfield, ALMay 20, 2015
Pros: everything was a pro
Cons: I have no cons
I worked for BPRBS, loved it was promoted to Asset Mgr the first week, participated in many many wonderful activities while employed with them, received a Grant Writing certificate while working there

1 2 3 4 5

Americorps Member
$12,100 per year

Americorps VISTA Photos

Story Parade
VISTAs coordinated by the University of Texas Division of Diversity and Community Engagement
Serving at forgotten harvest