Americorps VISTA

Americorps VISTA Employee Reviews

Great People to work for
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Springfield, MAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great Experience, Volunteerism, And loved working with the youth
Cons: No Cons
This is a great company that gives an opportunity to low income families to get a career experience. Love the people that I worked with and I will recommend anyone to apply and become an AmeriCorps VISTA Member.
A calm easy day
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee), Ocala, FLJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Two breaks and an hour lunch.
Cons: Doing the paperwork.
A day at work with AmeriCorps is calm and easy. I learned hopw to deal with people and take orders as well as work with others. Management is very helpful when they have the time. Co-workers are the same. The hardest part of the job is catching up on paperwork. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the youth succeed.
Every day offered new challenges and experiences with students.
Direct Site Coordinator, Drop-Out Prevention (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 18, 2015
Pros: lots of challenges, being able to feel like you made a difference
Cons: getting sworn at by adolescents
The hardest part of the job was wearing multiple hats under pressure and time management. There is a finite about of time during a school day and I was in classrooms helping the teachers maintain order to maximize educational hours, assisting students with classwork as well as homework, tutoring students with difficult concepts and being a mentor during non-essential school time. Not only did I have – more... to be there for my students, being supportive to staff as necessary, but I also had connect the school to the surrounding community. This was done through emails, phone calls and meetings. Some of the positive outcomes to this community outreach was a motivational speaker spoke to a group of students who were categorized as having disciplinary issues and hosting the school's first Bike to School Day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students everyday, touching lives and helping others. In turn, my students touched me deeply in an experience I will never forget. – less
Reading Tutor for AmeriCorp
Reading Tutor (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Working with kids, improving the community
Cons: AmeriCorps service term, so only 10 month position
My time spent as a reading tutor, helped me realize that my chosen path for my degree was the correct one. Everyday I worked with children from Kindergarten to Fifth grade to help improve their reading skills. I learned that just as the education college courses say, you have to find what works best for each child and use that to get them to advance. My direct supervisor became my mentor, and helped – more... me with how to determine which method a child would thrive with. My partner at the school and I worked to create events to promote reading and created games to go with the reading theme. The hardest and the most enjoyable part of this position, was getting attached to the students. You get excited about the progression they are making and then at the end of the year, saying goodbye for the summer. – less
Nice place to work
program development (Former Employee), Ashland, OHJuly 17, 2015
Enjoyed working with my coworkers, answered incoming telephone calls, and researched and wrote grants for the nonprofit agency I worked for.
Loved the job!
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), BaltimoreJuly 16, 2015
This is was a very supportive workplace and launched my career in the non-profit industry. I strongly advise any current high school or college graduate to participate in Americorp. Management was very supportive and knowledgeable about Assistive Technology. The only downfall is my tenure was only for two years.
The best life experiences I've ever had
Outreach Coordinator & Community Specialist (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Networking
Cons: proverty wages
Everyone should spend time in their life giving back, you'll change your perspective on life! This is the hardest job you will ever love!
Productive work environment. Administrative duties assigned.
AmeriCorps Vista Volunteer in Service to America (Current Employee), Covington, KYJuly 14, 2015
This job provided a variety of opportunities to for me to advance in terms of interpersonal and administration duties such, management, documentation, public interaction etc.
Working with Kids
Family Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Great Work Environment, Great Job
Cons: Not enough hours.
Worked and helped with RecZone for nearly a year, helping plan programs. Dealing with kids and planning events was alot of fun.
how i after serving at Americorps it was rocky and hard at times but through it all i manage to meet so very cool people.
Member Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Leadership trainings, Networking
Cons: Pay
it is an exciting experience working with AmeriCorps. From all the new people you meet to actually feel like your making a difference in the community.
This was a second year program under the administration of the Clinton presidency. Staffing was more of a volunteer service.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 3, 2015
Pros: No free lunch unless you were out on assignment with consumers at workshops.
Cons: No breaks and health cares.
Staff were not on salary, but compensated for hours earned in addition to education awards. As a volunteer, and a first time staff working with individuals with special needs (mostly adults), working as an Americorps staff taught me how to use communication devices to assist the consumers we served.
nothing to say
Educator Advocate- Intern (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 1, 2015
This was an internship that I did in undergrad. the most positive aspect of this job was that it gave me experience working with kids in the school system.
Great community outreach
Goodwill SR (Former Employee), Columbus, GAJune 30, 2015
• Answer, greet and dispatch calls to appropriate personnel.
• Assist clients with faxing, scanning and sending emails or documents.
• Maintain records and compose monthly reports for grant auditing.
• Schedule appointments and provide follow-up call backs.
• Implement and conduct training on careers and educational requirements.
• Provide one-on-one resume assistance to civilian and transitioning military personnel.
• Instruct computer, job searching, interviewing, dress to success and financial classes.
• Provide job seekers with employment resources at career and resource fairs within the community.
• Develop, coordinate and conduct a Transitional Jobs Club for offender re-entry program.
Loved working in the Hispanic community
liaison to Hispanic community (Former Employee), OKC,OKJune 26, 2015
Pros: Workking in a great developing community (OKC)
Cons: None
This is a position I took as I was attending Graduate School at Oklahoma City University. I really enjoyed the experience, even though we were paid $600/month, we were volunteers more than anything, but were all dedicated to community development and assisting others!
Rewarding Experience
Mentor/Tutor (Current Employee), Mayfield, KYJune 25, 2015
You are able to help students day to day improve on their math and reading scores as well as be a mentor to them when it is needed.
Fighting Poverty at its best
Workforce Development and Training Coordinator (Current Employee), Fresno, CAJune 21, 2015
Pros: Fighting poverty
Cons: low pay
AmeriCoprs Vista is a great corporation to work for straight out of college. In my year of service I've gained skills that I can take to other employers .
Productive and fun work place.
Corps Member (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 21, 2015
Great place to work at. I learned at lot from my co workers and from my partner teacher. It was a very good experience. I loved everything about working with my kids.
Experimental
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee), Picayune, MSJune 17, 2015
With my experience with Americorps, it was great. I got to interact with a lot of great people. Americorps not only was beneficial to myself but the schools as well. This helped me to learn more about programming and the different aspects of technology as well as introducing new teaching concepts to educators, Less paper more technology.
Great place to begin Public Health career
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 16, 2015
There is no such thing as a "typical day" at work, its so many opportunities to provide education and outreach. No one day is the same.
Productive learning experience
Group Leader/Office Assistant Intern (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2015
Pros: Free trips with the kids
Cons: healthcare
We would attend workshops that will help train us in schools, and work ethics/management. A typical day at work was being responsible for activities with the students and to give back to the community. I think the hardest part of the job was time consuming when you have to go to school full time and coming to work part time because you needed a certain amount of hours to complete. My most enjoyable part of the job was working with the kids. I learned how to create more fun productive activities that involves the kids and the community.

1 2 3 4 5

Team Leader/Supervisor
$10.00 per hour

Americorps VISTA Photos

Story Parade
VISTAs coordinated by the University of Texas Division of Diversity and Community Engagement
Serving at forgotten harvest