Americorps VISTA

Americorps VISTA Employer Reviews

Centered around helping and enriching the community
Americorps member (Current Employee), Lake Charles , LAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: enjoyable work environment
Cons: no liberty to effectively impact students
This company allows me to go out into the community and do what I am passionate about, and that is enriching and promoting health in the community. Currently I work in the school system as a aid to the teachers.
very fun place to work with children and the community
Volunteer, Teacher Assiatant (Former Employee), Dubuque, IAAugust 25, 2014
a typical day would be helping children with their math,science, or literature class work. it was an amazing experience in helping kids who needed a little boost to get them through their daily class work.
Great experience love the co-workers. Everyone worked as a team
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Belleville, ILAugust 20, 2014
Helps with college funding

Co-workers were very fun to be around

Will have great job skills after working for this company
Healthy Work Enviroment
Special Education Mentor/ Community Mediation (Current Employee), Baltimore,M.DAugust 19, 2014
Pros: learning to rethink and brainstorm. lived off a small budget.
Cons: great fellowship, health benefits, learning opportunities limited.
I served in Americorps National, I enjoyed the experience. I Also fellowship with different ethnic groups. Coming together as one to get the job done.
Exciting new experience
Youth Mentor/Tutor (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAAugust 13, 2014
I loved working with students and knowing that I made a difference in their lives.
porductive
Youth Volunteer (Former Employee), fresno caAugust 12, 2014
Cons: no health care
Construction,land scaping. How to use tools and lay down concrete and asfulat use a weed eater shovel. The management was ok. Laying sown the concrete. Geting paid.
Very rewarding
Teen Volunteer (Former Employee), Flemington, WVAugust 9, 2014
Pros: gave me something to do over the summer
I was a teen volunteer, so I had no pay and no advancement oppertunities. However, making a difference in the lives of children, and seeing their eagerness to learn was a very rewarding experience. I am proud to say I was associated with the program.
Great experience working with the City of Lancaster
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Lancaster, CAAugust 9, 2014
I worked with the City of Lancaster to develop a community-wide volunteer program. Working in City Hall, I attained experience working within an office. In addition, my fellow VISTAs and I outreached to over 1,000 non-profit organizations. We developed a volunteer hub for the Antelope Valley, OneLINC.org.
Happy and fun place. Enjoyed being at work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 8, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no benefits
Steady work flow. Learned how to be a team player. Management was good and fair. Co-worker were great to work with. Loyal. Traveling was the hard part. I was afraid of flying. Working with the diversity of the youth department.
VISTA REVIEW
Volunteer In Service to America (VISTA) (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 2, 2014
Pros: scholarship available, getting help others
Cons: grant funded salary
a typical day at work: office duties on and lots of research

what you learned: how to be: Proficient in Microsoft Office tools (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel) and web browsing.

management: Very nice and understanding

your co-workers: Like family

the hardest part of the job: Just having to meet dead lines when receiving donations

the most – more... enjoyable part of the: Working in a friendly environment with people you enjoy and getting to work with awesome community's – less
wonderful experience
Teacher (Current Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 2, 2014
Working with a group of energetic students allowed for interesting days. You never knew what the day would hold making each day as exciting as the next.
Amazing Program
Energy Express Community Coordinator (Former Employee), Chapmanville, WVJuly 31, 2014
Pros: everything
Everyday you are being a role model to a child that may or may not have someone. This program allows children to receive writing, reading and many other important opportunity's.

A typical day of work requires you to deal with many children and pre-teens as well as parents. Also daily paperwork and tracking of community service hours.

I learned patience, – more... understanding, and many different personalities that you deal with on a daily basis.

The most enjoyable part of the day is seeing these children receive a great meal and learning experience each day in a fun way. – less
A great way to give back
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 30, 2014
Pros: education grant, great management, the reward in helping others
Cons: low wages
While completing my term of service with AmeriCorps*VISTA, I learned a great deal about the non-profit culture. I was the volunteer coordinator for an amazing homeless day center. It was great to be able to give back to the community and learn more about what I am most passionate about.
Great Experience
Member (Current Employee), Davenport IowaJuly 25, 2014
Pros: education award at end of service
Being an Americorps member is not your typical job. You never know who you're going to meet or where you're going to be that day.
Fast paced work environment
Volunteer In Service To America (Former Employee), Albany, GAJuly 24, 2014
volunteer program to assist non profit organizations in southwest georgia. Worked with Boys and Girls Clubs, YMCA's and Habitat for Humanity.
Reading teacher
Elementary Reading Teacher (Former Employee), Bartow, FLJuly 22, 2014
Great job If your looking for a career field in education. Teaching kids from grade kg-3rd grade.
Brace Yourself
Transporter (Current Employee), MDJuly 21, 2014
Pros: experience, health benefits, dental benefits, college
Cons: pay, work conditions, managment
The pay is awful and the work is heavy. Make sure you have a place to live and a means of paying for it without AmeriCorps. You will not be able to afford hardly anything while you are working for AmeriCorps. The pay is very, very poor.

However, they do give you Health and Dental benefits. If you don't have that, it is a great benefit. Definitely take – more... advantage of it during your time in AmeriCorps.

AmeriCorps is extremely frustrating, but it will give you experience and it will help you through college. Just make sure you don't need a lot of money from a job, otherwise you'll be in a tough spot. – less
Exciting and enjoyable workplace
Office Administration Assisstant/ Student Tutor (Former Employee), Rota, MPJuly 21, 2014
Its a day to day base where we work with visitors and mostly with students.

I've learned a lot about students and their different potential and learning capabilities.

The school's management is very busy but they're organization is excellent.

Co-workers are fun to be around with and very advisable to others and student.
Serving with AmeriCorps VISTA
Reentry Community Connector (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJuly 21, 2014
It was a great and rewarding experience! I met and networked with a lot of people, forged lifelong relationships, and grew professionally. I'll never forget it!
Productive, fun and active work enviorment
Literacy Tutor (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXJuly 16, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working with children and being able to make a difference. All in all it was a wonderful experience and I find I miss each child I worked with to this day. I find I am humbled by the experience as well as the wiser for it. However due to my own negligence I found myself terminated on the basis of integrity. I did learn from this – more... lesson, very much so, that I will say. – less

1 2 3 4 5