Americorps VISTA Employee Reviews

Great opportunity
One-on-One Aide/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, ILOctober 14, 2015
Great opportunity to be able to learn about a company, while earning a monthly stipend as well as when hours are completed you also earn college money.
Pros
Learn about a company, growth opportunity
Cons
Low wages
Non profit where I learned a lot and enjoyed dealing with people.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNOctober 12, 2015
Responsible to interpret and implement all opening and closing procedures of nonprofit organization keeping access to services at top performance
Pickup interoffice mail and public correspondence distributing to designated personnel
Assist clients with information and documentation for services creating a positive company reputation
Take payments for mortgages giving correct receipts and encouragement to clients to maintain a service oriented business reputation
Prepare bank deposits and financial statements verifying for accuracy and correcting any discrepancies
Resolve customers issues with tact and diplomacy with excellent customer feedback and satisfaction
Follow HIPAA regulations and proper filing procedures for all client and administrative documentations
Monitor volunteer assignments after completing intake forms on individuals who seek out volunteer opportunities
Work in retake store providing direct customer services top take payments and organize sales floor to keep merchandise appealing and accessible to customers
Follow supervisory instructions to handle different assignments to create a more productive work environment for all co-workers
Pros
able to help people
Cons
low pay
I never expected to love those children the way I did!
Family Resource Center Assistant/Literacy Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mary ToddOctober 12, 2015
I had particular responsibilities going into this job. Never did I ever think I would establish a love for those children as much as I did and still do to this day.
Pros
I had some of the best relationships form with the kids at this school
Cons
As a volunteer, I had to create a summer project, it was taken away and given to someone else
Non Profit Elder Advocacy
BENEFITS VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Boston metroOctober 9, 2015
Great experience working in a team environment on an important mission to help low income seniors. Low stipend but high satisfaction.
Pros
feel good doing good, making a positive impact
Cons
low stipend, financial sacrifice
Reentry Assistant
Re-entry Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 5, 2015
In this position I worked with intake of ex-offenders returning to the community. The reentry was reunification of the family.
Pros
?Working with returning citizens.
Cons
None tpo speka of.
Great idea- bad management
Re-entry Services Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2015
It is dicey depending on where you get assigned. I was robbed by a client and decided to leave Americorp VISTA. Instead of receiving my bonus for time spent, I got ignored until the processing deadline passed.
Americorps is an amazing experience for anyone who tries it.
Employment Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 29, 2015
I enjoyed my Americorps experience. I enjoyed developing ethical skills and collaborating with other people. It was a great way to make some additional money while pursuing my degree.
Pros
Professional experiences.
Cons
It's temporary.
Working with such idealistic colleagues is amazing!
Promise Fellow (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 28, 2015
After having completed 3 terms of service as an AmeriCorps member, I can honestly say it was the most challenging and rewarding experience in my professional life.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
living stipend is unreasonably low!
Great Opportunity!
Youth Development at City Year New York (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 20, 2015
Great coworkers and management, as well as opportunities for advancement. It is hard to live off of a low living stipend, especially in NYC.
Awarding position with great awards
Elementary Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bartow, FlSeptember 18, 2015
Working for AmeriCorps have been an awarding position. It has allowed me to do what I love and that is teach children to read, write, and learn. The only problem I have with AmeriCorps is that you can only serve for four years. It is a grant funded position by the School Board and this will be my last year doing what I love doing. We do not make much money at all but doing what you love doesn't have to cost a cent. I just admire watching the children grasp like a sponge something you are teaching them and get the biggest smile on their face because they realize they have just done it on their own.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Short serving time

Want to know more about Americorps VISTA?

Ask a question
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Miami,FLSeptember 18, 2015
My co-workers are very friendly and nice. I love working with others. The children are very friendly,outgoing, and outspoken.
A great way to help people
Worker (Former Employee) –  Selma, ALSeptember 11, 2015
This job allowed me to experience so much and t be helped in a great way. I loved volunteering, mentoring, and gaining computer skills.
Pros
Education Award and Childcare
productive and laid back workplace.
Youth Investment Coordinator/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CASeptember 9, 2015
meet with clients set up mentoring for children. Go to schools facilitate classes, meet with parents and teenagers. helping foster kids, teaching life skills, and different skills assessment for at risk youth.
Pros
lunch time when i want
Cons
lunch isnt that long
reading tutor and mentor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 8, 2015
it was a fun place to work for. For it focused on the well being of the children in the classroom. it was a pleasure having the opportunity to work with the kids in my care, guided them to become better readers and mentored them when it presented.
Very productive and growing place to work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILSeptember 8, 2015
•Supervise and monitor campers
•Provide tutoring to campers kindergarten thru 8th grade
•Serve food to campers and neighboring families
•Coordinate and plan activities for the week
•Provide evaluation as needed to report to directors and/or parents
Pros
Relationships with the camper and co-workers, new things I learned.
Cons
No breaks
Volunteer experience in community initiatives
Volunteer Development Center (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoSeptember 8, 2015
Excellent public relations experience
Project management skills
Experience as member of volunteer comission supervised by first Lady s office.
Activities coordinator experience
The most enjoyable part of the job was developing initiatives as social initiatives in which I could see the real needs of communities. Volunteer experience allowed me to promote social projects and to be more conscious about real life.
Pros
Volunteer experience, grant for studies, federal job experience, the opportunity to learn about non profit organizations
Cons
low salary (stipend), very complicated benefits, no opportunity to have a second job
A rewarding place to work
Deliver food (Former Employee) –  South Buffalo ,New YorkSeptember 8, 2015
You would deliver food to food pantries and help people that were less fortunate and not able to buy food on there own. my co- workers where amazing to work with we work together to help load the food order and we did it efficiently. The thing I like most was helping others.
Pros
helping others
Cons
only summer job
Americorps is actually considered volunteers for the community.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 3, 2015
We, as volunteers, assisted with community clean-ups; job fairs; and housing complexes.

Some were assigned office work that involved working with communities, city and government officials.

Constant training in cultural affairs.
Pros
Learning the coincide with every aspect of humanity
Cons
It was sometimes very hard to cope with the hardships of others.
AmeriCorps program responsibilities
Recruitment and Retention Project Leader (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 2, 2015
• Recruited, supervised, and managed 10 AmeriCorps members.
•Mentored 230 middle and high school students from 40 schools to participate in a service-learning program.
•Identified and managed the completion of over 35 community service projects and special events.
• Secured over $50,000 in in-kind donations from local community organizations and local businesses.
• Spearheaded 9 month after school programs for 50 at-risk elementary school students.
• Designed, organized, and supervised 4 week-long spring camps for middle school students.
Pros
non profit
Cons
60+ hours a week
Enjoyable workplace due to very cooperative & intelligent coworkers.
Education Advocate (Former Employee) –  North Arkansas CollegeAugust 28, 2015
I would go to the Educational Opportunity Center office by 8:00am to open, start-up my computer & the 3 Student computers, turn the other office equipment on, check the front desk phone & e-mail messages, reply to all messages, answered phone calls, took AmeriCorps VISTA training webinars, greet clients to the office, keep all office areas organized, cared for office plants, ordered any necessary office supplies for the week, assisted all college counselors with daily tasks, and helped the clients fill out all college paperwork required.
Pros
The training & experience that I received on the job.

4.4