AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Nice Job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLJanuary 15, 2018
This was a stipend position and it was very rewarding. I assisted children that were having difficulties reading. I liked the fact that I could be creative and spent individual time with my students.
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
Low pay
Paid volunteer.
Paid Volunteer, Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Prescott Valley, AZJanuary 14, 2018
Employer is fair, day is well balanced, various equipment to operate and various job sites, pipeline, foundation, etc. Camaraderie is great among employees.
Year 1 vista
Service Project Development Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2018
A typical day within this position entailed myself and fellow VISTA member compiling data from surveys, attendance sheets, volunteer and member profiles and much more. Creating flyers and keeping in tough with past volunteers to ensure we kept them in the loop of our continuous projects. The office culture is relaxed at time and busy other times. The hardest part of the job is making sure that volunteers are taken care of because without them our projects could and would not be a success. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing community members happy and engaged with one another. In this position i learned all that can come with managing projects and volunteers and to always keep the goal present even when things don't go as planned and a detour happens finish strong.
Pros
Education award
Cons
data management system
Excellent work experience, limited in longevity and pay
Environmental Steward (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 13, 2018
Hired on contract. Benefits were discounts for medical services. Days off depended on WV DEP, whom I was contracted to. Worked as member of GeoCoal Mine project where other AmeriCorp members were. Had transition of management during time with AmeriCorp and all paper work transitioned accordingly.
Great Community Service with Amazing Coworkers
teacher's assistant (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJanuary 13, 2018
This job allowed me to realize that my true calling was always to be a teacher. I loved helping people in the community while also learning people skills and much needed life skills.
Good
VISTA Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Man, WVJanuary 12, 2018
A great way to get involved and enrich your own community as well as other communities, A good job for someone as a supplemental income, but a little tough to manage on a primary income.
Misleading, Aggressive, Manipulative Supervisor
VISTA (Current Employee) –  Bennington, VTJanuary 11, 2018
So, I can't speak for all AmeriCorps: in fact I actually love my program. I just got mislead into a terrible position, and AmeriCorps isn't quite satisfying me with their initiative to help me through my issues, but they are trying and I know they support me. I would say for anyone considering AmeriCorps VISTA, to spend time shopping around sites before choosing one, because you don't want to get caught in a less than adequate site - but the actual program here in Vermont has been excellent.
Americorps VISTA
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2018
The VISTA experience varies based on which organization you decide to serve. It can be miserable or awesome-that depends on which organization you serve. Overall, it is only a 1 year term, which is completely doable, and great to put on your resume. You are eligible for food stamps and childcare assistance, and possibly medicaid. Try to live with a parent or a couple of roommates, because the stipend won't cut it.
I love it
Rochester Americorps member (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 10, 2018
I love the culture and honestly everything is nice :)
This is a volunteer job. so obviously it doesn't make lots of money. But you know you do something good for community.
very nice place
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 10, 2018
a very good way to get to learn about a non profit organization. very diverse and etc.12 month commitment is worth your time earn awards to go to school and more.
Pros
diverse
Cons
weather
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2018
I worked at an elementary school as a teachers aide. Working there was stress free. I learned a lot from the teachers I assisted and from the kids. Being an AmeriCorps member is a great thing to be.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Great Place to Work
VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR/RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 9, 2018
I loved the ability to help the youth, be hands on giving to the youth, and being able to connect with other non-profit organizations. This jobs allows you to make connections with others and teaches one to use their resources to make a difference in the community.
Pros
Helpful Place
Summary
Member (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 8, 2018
I worked in a kitchen that provided free lunches for kids under 18 years old. Most of our was spent cleaning dishes, cooking food, serving food, and once the kids were gone we would clean the room that we served the lunches in.
Excellent opportunity, especially for students
Youth Court - Oswego City/ County Youth Bureau (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYJanuary 8, 2018
AmeriCorps is an amazing option for students. There are a plethora of options, all of which allow a deeper understanding of the surrounding community.
Pros
Education Awards upon completion of service
Cons
No other available benefits
Fun and eye opening work.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Pharr, TXJanuary 7, 2018
A typical day as an Americorps member, in my experience, was pretty great. I would help tutor kids at the junior high. When I was done with that part, I would head to the town library to help. They usually had too many members so I was free to do homework.
Wonderful Opportunity
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lake City, FLJanuary 7, 2018
AmeriCorps was one of the best decisions I made for my career. You make the opportunity what you want it. They had awesome training and allow you to travel!!!
Pros
travel
Good
Preschool Literacy Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WA 98801January 5, 2018
I loved working for Americorps. Reason for leaving is that they offer only 2 years of compensation and alot of work is based on volunteer merit. They offer compensation to the most of their ability and have an award program that helps pay with student loans which can be used at any educational facility
Pros
Great people, great morals
Cons
Volunteer based
Work was different no matter where you travled
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IAJanuary 4, 2018
Worked with a diverse team of people, some projects had us working up to 80 hrs/week, at the end of the work day. it was satisfation with both parties
Working with juveniles at The Boys and Girls Club of Parkersburg has inspired me to refocus my career path.
Volunteer/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVJanuary 4, 2018
The children, their personalities, and their stories removed any doubts I may have previously had regarding my purpose in the field of public service.
Pros
Making a positive impact on the lives of the youth in the community.
Cons
Not being able to establish a career within the organization.
great place to work
Camp Horseshoe- Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Parsons, WVJanuary 3, 2018
Great place to work if you enjoy being around children. Quick paced and can be stressful. paid well and busy. very little time off, as this is a summer camp.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4