AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,377 reviews
Most exciting volunteer work ever done!
Corps Member, Vehicle and Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 23, 2017
We traveled to different cities on the west coast doing home building and disaster relief with a set group of individuals. All living expenses were covered
Great opportunity.
Civic Works, AVID Tutor (Current Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDMarch 19, 2017
I am grateful for my experience serving with AmeriCorps. My service has provided me the opportunity to connect with others in my career path (teaching) while gaining experience being effective in a classroom.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Educational Advocate (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILMarch 15, 2017
Working for AmeriCorps is absolutely unpredictable. Everyday there's something different. The atmosphere is amazing. The hardest part would probably be going through all the training, but it is worth it. I love the fact that it's something new everyday.
Cons
Rewarding work with large commitment
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2017
The day consists of mostly classroom tutoring. I was assisting a teacher in a 4th grade classroom with tutoring with math and reading. I didn't work in the classroom on Fridays though. City Year dedicates Fridays to learning and development.
Pros
rewarding experience, free T-pass
Cons
low pay, long hours
Service year with great opportunities for professional development.
Community Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2017
Working with Jumpstart AmerCorps has helped me sharpen the skills I need to pursue a service-oriented career. I've learned how to manage administrative data and work in an office setting with other like-minded peers. I've learned how to work with people from all different places, recruiting community volunteers all over Los Angeles. My favorite part has been working with children and families in their communities, and watching the impact of our work close up.
Pros
benefits, friendly staff
Cons
stipend
Volunteer Experiences
Group Activities Leader (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 14, 2017
Another great way to give back to the community. Also you get to work out at the same time. The children and their parents are very thankful you giving up your time to work with the children.
Rewarding position
R.I.S.E. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hastings, NEMarch 13, 2017
This is an opportunity to assist your community in a way that you wouldn't be able to on your own. They offer variety of locations and multiple ways to interact with your community.
Awesome place to gain experience.
Senior AmeriCorps (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 13, 2017
City Year Orlando has an amazin culture, which at times can be taxing. Hold on to the idealism and positivity. It is a great place to gain experience and network
Community Impact
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 9, 2017
Working Here is the best. Making people's neighborhoods safer, cleaner, and more complex. We remove trash out of neighborhoods. We help the less fortunate.Give back and make others happy. They may need you to work extra hours but I am a person who has no problem with that. Work 6-8 hours a day, 30$ a day. It's not really a lot of money; but I do not do my services for the pay, I do it for the passion.
Pros
Reasonable lunch breaks
Cons
Long Hours
Corps Member in Americorps
recruiter (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSMarch 9, 2017
This was a full-time volunteer service program with a biweekly stipend. I was on a team with 8 other people that traveled the country doing manual labor for various non-profits, and government funded parks. I lived in every type of housing from a tent to a house. Our various projects included working for a watershed non-profit, a summer camp non-profit, the National Governor's Conference held in Nashville, TN that year, trail-building at a state park, and working with Habitat for Humanity. This was a ery fulfilling experience that taught me a lot about myself.
Pros
travel, housing, food, uniform
The people I work with are great and very friendly
Literacy Tutor (Current Employee) –  Waseca, MNMarch 8, 2017
I greet kids and help them sign in their names and then during free play I will do my specific interventions with some of the children. I help and assist the teacher throughout the rest of the day. I may read aloud a book one week and the next do a journal page the next. I do certain transitional songs. I learned patience and had training on doing specific interventions and testing. Everyone in management is very helpful and understanding. Its a fun environment to work in, very friendly. The pay is not great which makes it hard to stay at. Most enjoyable part is knowing I have made a difference and seeing the growth of all the children I work with.
Pros
free health care
Cons
pay
Very resourceful
Volunteer Work/job training/vocational (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 8, 2017
My typical day at work consists of being on the computer and helping with service projects.The most enjoyable part of this job is that it is a calm work environment.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
cant leave for lunch
Sr. Telephone Claims Representative
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAMarch 7, 2017
Claims were assigned to me daily. Telephone contact within 24 hours. Take recorded statement of facts from all claimants and witnesses. Send for police reports. Determine coverage and pay or send a denial of coverage. Follow all rules and regulations according to the California Department of Insurance.

Fun job. Enjoyed negotiating with the claimant or their attorney. Negotiating is a fine art and I was the best. Always positive feedback.
Great place with wonderful diversity
AmeriCorps Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSMarch 7, 2017
Great program to do after high school if you do not know what to do or even college. Help you learn skills and grow into an reasonable adult. Even get an government job.
get ready to be stressed
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 6, 2017
it is very stressful most of the people are very political and not so nice but you have to deal with it because that's how life is you work in teams traveling
Traveling over the entire country helping mitigate damages done to disasters
Traveled nationwide assisting (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMarch 6, 2017
It would largely be us working in an office setting reading through a great deal of disaster related documents as well as writing grants for damaged buildings.
Pros
Free meals, great advancement, room and board paid for
Cons
very little free time, forced together with many people, little personal time
Great place to grow from
Summer volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 5, 2017
The work environment was really comfortable and made you feel welcome. The Employers where very easy to contact and reliable. They made transportation to get back and forth easy.
Great changing agent in the community. Many lives benefit from its presence and caring work
FANs Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHMarch 4, 2017
I've had a great experience with AmeriCorps!
The community has benefited from the work Corps are able to provide and the children have a better and active understanding of being participants within their families and networks.
I've really enjoyed both my roles with AmeriCorps!
Pros
Opportunities to make a difference in the lives of others
productive and fun
Intern at MYO (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTMarch 2, 2017
Working in them MYO office was always fun. The atmosphere was very chill and the people working there are very accepting and hardworking.
great work place.
Americorp Leader/ YMCA Bike Instructor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAMarch 1, 2017
what i learned from working at americorps is spirit. having the spirit to motivate people including yourself. the hardest part of this job is icebreakers with different people.
Pros
stipend checks as pay.
Cons
traveling and getting dirty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4