AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,491 reviews
great place to learn new skills
Peer Counselor/Skills Group (Former Employee) –  Republic, WAJune 24, 2017
This program is designed to give people education monies in exchange for helping the community out in differing areas. It is successful in most areas. Limited to education arenas for job placement
Pros
good atmophere
Cons
not continued employment
Great place to work but extremely low pay
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 21, 2017
AmeriCorps is a great organization. The staff is supportive. Flexible schedules. Lots of training provided. Excellent for those going into the teaching profession. Stipend is extremely low.
Pros
Flexible work shedule
Cons
Low stipend pay
Good way to serve but not a job to live off of
AmeriCorps Service Member (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJune 21, 2017
Would only recommend serving if you have a spouse who has a good income or if you are comfortably retired. One cannot serve with AmeriCorps and not have another full-time job. As soon as school day is over you must stay and work on tasks for AmeriCorps. My AmeriCorps site was very disorganized and hard to work with. Trainings were confusing and stressful because they were not well planned and organized. Gained a lot of knowledge in the schools I served in and at the trainings I attended, but this is not an easy volunteer service job. You must work hard and you are rarely shown much appreciation for hard work.
A productive service year
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLJune 20, 2017
It's a service program so you won't be using this website to apply for it. It involves volunteering in the community a lot through service projects. Although it can be trying at times, it is worth it.
Great learning experience in a team dynamic
Assistant Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSJune 19, 2017
AmeriCorps was a great place to get a start in the field of emergency management, and really gave me valuable skills to utilize in the future. I hope to continue working for an excellent organization such as this one.
Fun and productive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJune 16, 2017
co-workers was friendly, management was also friendly and helpful, I have the opportunity to work with different kinds of people and learn how to deal with different personality.
Working with Professional
Volunteer Grant Writer (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 16, 2017
Wonderful experiences and excellent agency, staff is excellent to work with, very understanding with their clients. Always willing to go the extra. lo
Pros
experiences
Cons
Gain a lot of experience and hard work
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, MAJune 16, 2017
Depends on the location of where you work, but an average workday starts at 7:15 and ends at 5:00. Work with the team t incorporate different activities and lesson plans for after school to keep them active and provide a positive learning environment and space. While working there would be a lot of hard work with development of the relationship with the kids, but it is also the most worthwhile experience for the kids. Get to learn with the group and they teach you different social justice issues. They keep you accountable o ways to improve as a person.

They do not really help with finding the job afterwards.
Pros
help you learn more about yourself
Cons
work life balance pretty much non-existent, do't get paid that much
Working in a elementary school with inner city youth primary in K1/K2 classrroom
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MAJune 16, 2017
My first year in the program I worked in a K2 classroom, supported and lead phonics, math, writing, read aloud. Also I lead recess for grades K1-5th, ran an integral block for K1(playmakers). Also subbed for teachers,art, gym, etc. my second year I did much of the same but my classroom was K1/K/2. One of my other duties was too work one on one with scholars for reading and phonics.
Paid Volunteer program that will introduce you to a diverse group of people and help you to make a difference in your community!
Literacy Tutor/ Literacy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MI 49442June 14, 2017
This was an amazing experience that not only made me feel good about myself, but made me feel like I was really making a difference! I learned a ton of marketable skills, went to many favorable training seminars and got invaluable networking experience! Anyone would be incredibly lucky to get the opportunity to be an AmeriCorps Member!
Volunteer
Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IAJune 13, 2017
This was a volunteer oportunities so I can't really comment on the work place. i think it would be great for recent college graduate or teens who wants to take a gap year before going to college.
Advancement & training
AmeriCorps, VISTA Liaison (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJune 12, 2017
AmeriCorps offered job advancement and training courses that were helpful to establish experience in working with the public. They offer travel expenses all over the nation for relocation.
Pros
Educational award, benefits, travel
Cons
A positive and others focused environment
Volunteer Recruitment and Resource Development (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXJune 11, 2017
I found working with AmeriCorps to be very positive and an overall great experience. A typical day of work was mostly office work. Our daily goal was to build capacity within the organization we are stationed. The culture of the job was an "how can we serve others to the best of our ability" mindset. I most enjoyed the community with other local AmeriCorps VISTAs and loved that we were all focused on one goal.
Cons
healthcare
great fun place to learn and grow
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 10, 2017
AmeriCorps, more specifically Black Child Development of Greensboro was a great place to reach the children in the community and network with great minds and leaders in community.
Room to grow and learn from example and work.
Diverse experience
MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 10, 2017
Helped me understand diverse environments in the non profit world and helped me become a flexible and adaptable person. Allowed me to travel to several states.
Pros
no rent or food
Cons
living with 11-12 other people
Hard working, but productive and caring staff, very dedicated to the work.
CORPS MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 8, 2017
The job was extremely strenuous but entirely worth it. Many times the culture of the workplace was strained just based off of the hard climate of the work we chose to do. A family dynamic in the team's lead to much more positive times, and a great ability to lean on one another to achieve all that we needed to do.
Pros
Experience, relationships, personal growth.
Cons
Pay, occasional poor staff relations.
Productive and fun place to work
Mobility Management Services Advocate (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJune 8, 2017
A typical work day consist of about 5 cases either working with elderly, individual with disabilities, youth, military personnel etc. On the phone or on the database majority of the day.
Pros
nice work environment
Cons
n/a
The overall mission of this program was most appealing.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 8, 2017
The mission of Energy Express was to give the children a family based meal, two times a day. The program also implemented different varieties of educational, physical, and challenging activites including reading, writing, art, creativity, and recess time for the kids. The job required an everyday planner to allot a time for each activity on an everyday basis.
Pros
Family style meals, fun and safe environment for kids, kept students minds active during the summer months, and a rewarding experience.
Cons
low wages
Terrific Human Services Career Position
Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 8, 2017
A typical day at work including assessing the needs of dislocated workers, or homeless individuals. The leadership is terrific, and I learned that there's lots of resources available to help reduce homelessness, however, the candidate has to want it. A good balance of professional, and social events. The most difficult part of the job is seeing folks that don't want better for themselves, and the most enjoyable part of my day was seeing great life-changing events happen for individuals that are grateful for the services that they can access.
Pros
Getting to meet others, and learn about other programs.
Cons
Diffuculty in compensation for regular workers, and those with advanced skills.
Youth Volunteer Corps
Youth Volunteer Corps Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 6, 2017
Working with youth 11-18 was awesome! I helped create community service programs that were fun and engaging for youth. I enjoyed myself greatly while working there!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4