AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,230 reviews
Exciting chance to challenge yourself
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 10, 2016
Long work days
Many opportunities to train your leadership
Management is very supportive
Heavily team based, but keep the goal in mind
Hardest part of the job was trying to get the required amount of hours
Most enjoyable part was the culture of the organization
Pros
Health care, education award, networking
Cons
Long hours, stipend
Great experience, lots of networking and real world opportunities.
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Vinton, IAMarch 3, 2016
I have been in this program for about 8 months and counting. It has been a really great experience. It has helped me mature and see what real world work is like. A typical day at work is working directly with FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) personnel, in an office setting. I have learned a lot of valuable things for my future. My co-workers are the same people I live with on the job. It gets difficult at times because we are never away from each other, but it also helps us to communicate and figure things out. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to travel with people who you have come to know as your second family, and visiting new places in the United States that I have never been to.
Pros
Free food, Room and board paid for, and travel is paid for, awards given at the end of the program.
Cons
Limited healthcare, closeness to strangers.
Productive workplace with great people, however at times felt as if there was no down time
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 21, 2016
In AmeriCorps NCCC, you would go on month to two month long projects where you would work everyday except Friday-Sunday. But even on our days off we still had work to do for every project that we went on. our typical day of work would last roughly ten hours depending on weather, because of being a trail crew if it was raining terribly we would only work maybe eight hours or so .Management was fair at times however, when we would request new supplies or gear they would supply us with out of date or old stuff that needed to be replaced.
Pros
free food, traveled to great places, wonderful experience
Cons
pay was poor, living conditions at times were bad, miscommunication throughout the program from superiors to corps members
Positive outlook on children and the community
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INAugust 5, 2016
My typical day at work is interacting with the children of the Boy's and Girls Club. I created activities to teach children how to live a healthy lifestyle and become responsible citizens. While working at AmeriCorps I developed communication skills with my students, their parents, and my supervisor. I worked with my co-workers on a low level and engaged with my supervisor for weekly meetings and student behavior reports. My most challenging part of working here was giving the equal amount of attention to each child. The most enjoyable part was being able to help children meet there short-term goals and building a relationship with their parents. I also enjoyed seeing the children in the community and the positive changes I have helped them made.
One of the best experience you will ever have
Corps Member and Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 8, 2016
AmeriCorps NCCC is a team based group that serves across the United States. Your team is deployed into four unique areas over a span of 10 months. The first month or two you'll participate in training, team building exercises, and also receiving First Aid,CPR, AED, Shelter/Disaster relief certifications. You will be stationed in one of the five regions that AmeriCorps covers for that ten months.The range of work that you'll be doing can go for working with Habitat for Humanity to working in state parks or even being able to teach 8th graders about astrology at a science camp. The age requirements are 18 to 24.
Pros
Traveling, Positive environment, Excellent training, Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Free lodging
Cons
healthcare
Productive and fun, but also very proffesional
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IAAugust 20, 2016
A typical day at work in AmeriaCorps is different for every team due to the fact that each team travels to a different state to a different sponsor. Personally for me it involved hands on work in construction for the first month, cleaning, maintenance, and working with the developmentally disabled for the next two months and the last month I was in AmeriCorps before resigning, I was air sealing and insulating attics. I learned many new skills such as, using proper Personal Protective Equipment and tools for cutting specific wood a certain way. The hardest part of the job was waking up early and constantly living with the same people you worked with 24/7, but it also made it very enjoyable.
Great experience for young adults
Assistant team leader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 3, 2016
As a member of AmeriCorps NCCC, you will do a variety of things. I served in the Southwest region. I spent time in Kansas demolishing decaying houses and painting buildings, New Mexico constructing a volunteer house, working with a day care center and Boys and Girls Club and in Oklahoma maintaining baseball fields and working a Boys and Girls Club summer camp. There is a very clear chain of command starting with the region director at the top and the corps members at the bottom. It is great to live and work with a team of people that are your age and also have a passion to help make this country a better place. This could also be the most difficult part of the job. However, the pros outweigh the cons, it is a great program. My favorite part was traveling the country and getting to spend time in different communities.
Pros
Housing, food and transportation included
Cons
Rustic living situations
Eye Opening
Bilingual Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 13, 2016
This job really gives any individual willing to advance their career great credibility and prepares them in so many ways for the real world. Excellent work culture, a variety of work opportunities, and great professional exposure.
productive and great place to work
Corps Member / assistant team leader (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSJuly 13, 2016
Typical day at work would be to wake up eat go to work to volunteer for multiple organizations to help better the community.

I learned a lot working there I learned a lot about leadership and how to adapt tot he work place and environment.

Management was amazing they always worked with us and many other volunteers.

my coworkers were made up of 7 diverse other people who were eager to make a difference in multiple communities across the states.

The hardest part about working for AmeriCorps was the different climate changes basically heat and dealing with other personalities from different people.

The most enjoyable part about my job was waking up and putting a smile on someone's face.
Pros
free everything breakfast, lunch, dinner, small styping, travel for free, earnig certifications, awards and money for college, healthcare
Cons
N/A
Government volunteer program
Corp Member (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 28, 2016
AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps) strengthens communities and develops leaders through direct, team-based national and community service. In partnership with non-profits—secular and faith based—local municipalities, state governments, federal government, national and state parks, Indian tribes, and schools, members complete service projects throughout the region they are assigned.

AmeriCorps NCCC is a full-time, team-based residential program for men and women age 18-24. Members are assigned to one of five campuses — Denver, CO; Sacramento, CA; Baltimore, MD; Vicksburg, MS; and Vinton, IA.

Drawn from the successful models of the Civilian Conservation Corps of the 1930s and the U.S. military, AmeriCorps NCCC is built on the belief that civic responsibility is an inherent duty of all citizens and that national service programs work effectively with local communities to address pressing needs.
Love helping the youth in our community
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 1, 2016
Reviewed the Mentoring Program design and also created as well as updated all WIA ROOTS forms and documents.
Prepared and maintained activity logs to reflect networking meetings, luncheons, and other meetings or trainings.
Recruited and introduced Mentors and Mentees into the program and established a rapport with the program youths in order to gain their trust and understand their needs.
Matched Mentors and Mentees using a data sheet of interest to ensure they have mutual interest that they can relate in order for their mentoring relationship to be successful.
Created marketing materials in order to establish sustainability, solicit donations for mentors/mentees from local businesses to support mentor/mentee meetings.
Pros
Being asn active member of the community and engaging with the youth
Cons
No Funds making it impossible to do things with the students
Normal day working for Americorps
Teen Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 7, 2016
A typical day at work is making sure the kids were signed in and ready to go for programming. I learned how to communicate better with kids and getting a better understanding on how they think and react to things. Management was great they always made sure i was prepared for the upcoming events. Co-workers were awesome to be around they helped me mature as a young man. The kids in the community was rough but we had to stay on them and make sure they did the right thing . The hardest part about this job was the attitudes from the kids but eventually i learned there ways and adapted to them. But building those relationships with those kids made me a better person that was the most enjoyable part about the job.
Pros
A vlot of basketball
Cons
no lunch break
Literacy interventions to protect future opportunities
Literacy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 3, 2015
I performed literacy interventions with 1st-3rd graders at a Grand Rapids elementary school. Many of the students had behavioral issues, often resulting from their underperformance in the classroom and/or low confidence and feelings of inadequacy. I did everything I could to help counteract these things, collaborating with teachers and providing huge doses of positive reinforcement. I'm very happy to say that I was able to get forty or fifty kids reading at or above grade level by the time I left.
Pros
School atmosphere
Cons
Poor management, long hours, low pay
Resource Development Coordinator
Resource Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILDecember 21, 2015
Great opportunity in the Americorps program. This was a great experience. When I began working as a VISTA for Habitat for Humanity they did not have any events in place to raise awareness and funds. After 2 years of service I created events that generated additional revenue and extended the awareness in the community.
Pros
Created all agency events
Cons
work enviroment
Great way to serve while getting experience
Family Services Assistant / AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Watsonville, CAJune 21, 2016
A typical day varied-it was always changing. I learned a lot about working in a nonprofit setting and how an emergency shelter is managed. There was a site director and a site supervisor - during my year, the site director quit about a month into the service year which was extremely stressful to not have that management. It made transitioning into the position very difficult.That was definitely the hardest part.
The most enjoyable part - getting to know the families and being fully immersed in the community.
Pros
Basic healthcare, subsidized housing, stipend, loan forebearance, education award
Cons
Low stipend
Greatest learning experience doing miserable work
Service Member (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 28, 2016
Service Members in AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC) lived together in teams of 8-10 people, travelling to do non-profit and service work as needed. Sometimes we built houses, sometimes we planted trees, sometimes we scrubbed floors, and sometimes we worked a front desk.

One of the greatest learning experiences was finding your own work-life balance, even when you live with your colleagues and sleep on the floor. You have one team leader on the team, and in this way you learn to be responsible for yourself and your own happiness while working independently but also building team skills. Communication is key and you learn the importance of professional relationships pretty quickly.

Almost monthly a team member would have the opportunity to be selected as Assistant Team Leader, which means they were quickly trained to help take over management duties and even become acting team leader in case of emergency or absence. In this way, each member got the chance to learn leadership skills.

The hardest part of the job was that it was a lot of labor, but also getting along with your colleagues while living with them; however one of the most rewarding experiences was finding common ground with your teammates, and building an almost family-type relationship with each other and learning to depend on one another. You never know just how important your coworkers will be to your job.
Pros
Plethora of experiences, travelling, honest work, great community, great service
Cons
living stipend below minimum wage, tough living conditions, high stress, isolation
Amazing group of people out to change the world for the better
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 5, 2016
It was amazing to get great training from the start, to work with like minded professionals, to get to know your peers and extend help with the problem solving sessions.
The school I worked at was amazing and I think the hardest part was that I was so sad at the end of the contract that I had to go back and look for another job, the kids were amazing, the staff at the school were amazing.
Working in the college and career center helping homeless high schoolers look for employment, apply for colleges, and apply for job corps and the military was interesting, fun, challenging, and overall a fantastic experience.
Management was great, coworkers were great, the students of course were great.
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting an invitation to a college graduation a couple of years later and seeing how the hard work that the student pored into his life ended up with him being a huge success and being able to help support his family.
Pros
Students, staff, managers, coworkers, learning something every day
Cons
the living stipend was minimal
Great job for those starting out!
Ohio History Service Corps (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJuly 20, 2016
AmeriCorps provided me incredible opportunities to gain experience right out of school. My site was amazing and I really enjoyed working with my co-workers. The management was helpful and guided me, especially when I first stared. The pay, which is a living stipend, is very hard to live on, and the temporary nature of the job is daunting, but overall I loved my work and would recommend it to anyone trying to get their foot in the door in a particular profession!
Pros
Great experience, scholarship money
Cons
Low pay, temporary work
Great way to serve your community and gain professional experience
Legal Assistant at Family Law Facilitator's Office (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2016
Great place to work at. I work in the legal field, and they train you in and out; people at the assigned site are very helpful and understanding. A lot of weekend training shifts where they say the same thing over and over again-- in other words, they like to beat a dead horse, but nevertheless, you still learn a lot. Free lunches during training events too.
Pros
free lunches, hands on experiences, great people to work with
Cons
grants are miniscule
Stronger and better
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 6, 2016
Working at Mission BBQ was both fun and exhausting. A typical work day consisted of interacting with customers and running in the back to brew sweet and unsweet tea, while making sure dirty trays did not pile up in the dining room. Also, i took the trash out throughout the day and bussed the tables as well. When the day was over, I took the trash out for the last time that night and put the dishes through the dishwasher and swept and mopped the dining room. Though this job was strenuous, the environment was enjoyable and pleasant to work in.

4.4